PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Disciple for Factotum?

hotel_papa
2010-10-18, 07:12 PM
Can a Factotum qualify for Arcane Disciple? One or more domain's worth of divine spells could be an interesting addition to a Factotum's bag of tricks, not to mention a worthy feat for one who already has Knowledge Devotion and a whole mess of Font of Inspiration.

Naturally, if allowed, the Factotum would have to prepare the spell and spend Inspiration Points as normal, and be unable to duplicate spells (not a problem, given the wording of the feat)

Arcane Dilettante has a Factotum casting arcane spells as a spell-like ability. It is the only thing I can see standing in the way of qualifying for the feat.

Your thoughts? Is it legal? If not, would you house rule it in anyways?

HunterOfJello
2010-10-18, 07:27 PM
No. Spell-like abilities =/= Able to cast arcane spells.

However, if you're interested in gaining more spellcasting abilities then check out the Chameleon prestige class. They work extremely well for a factotum and have awesome abilities.

There's also the option of the Ur-Priest if you're looking to take a level 7 character with no spellcasting and give them 9th level spells before they hit level 20.

~

If I was your DM, then I would allow you to take the Arcane Disciple feat to expand your Arcane Dilletante possible spell list. However, I would also heavily discourage it.

You're better off grabbing a Minor Schema, Wand, Eternal Wand or Scroll to use divine spells.

Besides, almost all the best high level domain spells come off the Wiz/Sorc list anyway.

Thurbane
2010-10-18, 07:35 PM
Factotum's Arcane Dilettante is a bit of an anomoly...it clearly says you use SLAs, yet it requires you to provide material components, and specifically says you can apply metamagic feats - both of which contradict the standard SLA rules. :smallconfused:

Cog
2010-10-18, 11:52 PM
Factotum's Arcane Dilettante is a bit of an anomoly...it clearly says you use SLAs, yet it requires you to provide material components, and specifically says you can apply metamagic feats - both of which contradict the standard SLA rules. :smallconfused:
How is that, in principle, any different from Warlock casting? Sure, they could have listed all the ways it was like SLAs instead, but it's shorter to just refer to those rules and then list the handful of exceptions.