PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on Heroics...

Road_Runner
2010-10-18, 07:55 PM
Can you use this spell multiple times to get different feats?

My crossbow spellthief wants to be able to get Weapon Finesse and TWF so he can dual-wield daggers if he needs to...

Coidzor
2010-10-18, 10:05 PM
It is a bit... contested, last I had heard anything about it. Try running a search on it.

I think the argument in favor was about how the spell effects were different feats so they would be non-overlapping and work.

Si-on
2010-10-19, 03:10 PM
In my group we allow multiple castings to stack because they are different effects per casting. Not sure this is RAW though. I am the party buffer and use multiple use per character so I am bias.

Thurbane
2010-10-19, 08:06 PM
Yes, it falls into the whole murky RAW/RAI of multiple castings of a spell with different effects, and whether they stack or not.

Other examples include Resist Energy (for different energy types) and Bestow Curse (for different curse effects).

As pointed out, this is an oft contested subject...

Chrono22
2010-10-19, 08:26 PM
Well, IMO, the "effects" line in the spell's basic description includes all things that would be considered spell effects. Anything else is just a consequence of the effect(s), such as increased weapon damage when enlarged.
If it says something along the line of "the target is given a feat", then that's what it gives you. What feat you end up choosing or what feats you qualify for are irrelevent to the spell effect- all it cares about, is that you are getting a feat. So in this case, I think multiple castings would not stack. Since the benefit of the effect (getting a feat) is the same regardless of which feat you actually choose, only one casting is in effect at a time.

WinWin
2010-10-20, 01:10 AM
Actually, the ruling I am familliar with is that effects of the same type overlap, but do not stack.

eg. A character can have 10 seperate +1 enhancement bonuses to strength effecting them at the same time. The benefit is only +1 and not + 10.

By the same token, a character can have infinte heroics effecting them simultaneously. No debate about that. Whether feats count as a boni of the same type is a matter of dispute.

I really have not looked into it too deeply. Anyone have any relevant RAW to share?

Optimator
2010-10-20, 01:48 AM
If you rule that multiple castings of Protection From Energy, specifying different energy types, doesn't work because it's the same spell then Heroics wouldn't stack either. I don't think it makes much sense, and my group agrees and we let Heroics be cast multiple times.

Godskook
2010-10-20, 01:49 AM
Actually, the ruling I am familliar with is that effects of the same type overlap, but do not stack.

eg. A character can have 10 seperate +1 enhancement bonuses to strength effecting them at the same time. The benefit is only +1 and not + 10.

By the same token, a character can have infinte heroics effecting them simultaneously. No debate about that. Whether feats count as a boni of the same type is a matter of dispute.

I really have not looked into it too deeply. Anyone have any relevant RAW to share?

Except that example does not correspond to what's being discussed. You're mentioning:

Different(?) spell - same result

while the question is about:

Same spell - different results

WinWin
2010-10-20, 02:58 AM
Except that example does not correspond to what's being discussed. You're mentioning:

Different(?) spell - same result

while the question is about:

Same spell - different results

Okay. A character can can have infinite protection from energy spells effecting them simultaneously. No debate about that. What prevents said character from benefiting from multiple resistances at the same time?

I really have not looked into the issue too deeply. Anyone have any relevant RAW to share?