PDA

View Full Version : Critique my Dread Necro/Fleshwarper

Urpriest
2010-10-18, 08:26 PM
A build sketch I've been toying with:

Aerenal High Elf Dread Necromancer 9/Fleshwarper 10/X 1

Abilities, post racial adjustments (32 point buy): Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16

Feats:
1st: Aerenal Focus (Heal)
3rd: Tomb-Tainted Soul
6th: Undead Leadership if campaign-appropriate, otherwise Imperious Command/Fell Animate/something else?
9th: Graft Flesh
12/15/18 ?

The character takes Concentration, Intimidate, and Heal and Knowledge(arcana) for qualification for Fleshwarper. Mostly, I just love the flavor of a Dread Necromancer Fleshwarper, and making the character from Aerenal adds a little extra roleplaying tension. I'd use the ghostly visage familiar for paralyzing/demoralizing without wasting my actions(since it shares skill ranks, does it share skill tricks?)/making touch attacks with the 5 foot tentacle it gets from being a Fleshwarper's familiar. The character would focus on wading into melee and using touch attacks and fear to debuff, demoralize, and slay the opposition, comfortably surrounded by undead. Grafts and Elder Secrets would be used for survivability, and to buff particularly important undead minions. Speaking of same, it looks like grafts are perfectly fine to apply to undead/constructs, but I'm not sure if I'm missing a rule somewhere. At least one of the graft types specifies corporeal creatures, so my familiar couldn't get those.

The character would probably start out with Undead grafts (they're the most affordable at mid-levels, not to mention thematically sound). They'd then branch out into the other types as the PrC progresses. The ghostly visage familiar means the -4 penalty to will saves from Illithid grafts can be ignored, since I'd be immune to everything that save makes me vulnerable to.

Suggestions? Thoughts? For the later build, Corpsecrafter line or Metamagic? Since I already have a decent array of Martial Weapons from being an elf, what to take for my free Dread Necromancer one?