PDA

View Full Version : Jumping makes you slow fall?

Jack Zander
2010-10-18, 08:43 PM
So if you are bull rushed off of a cliff edge you fall something like 600 feet per round.

But if you deliberately jump:

Action
None. A Jump check is included in your movement, so it is part of a move action. If you run out of movement mid-jump, your next action (either on this turn or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete the jump.

Then you fall at a rate of double your move speed instead. While this does not stop any falling damage, if gives your allies a chance to save you (you cannot take any actions yourself aside from swift actions as you spend two move actions a round falling).

Just pointing out some quirky RAW.

Skorj
2010-10-18, 09:01 PM
You know, that rule makes perfect sense for long jumps, but it's not specific to long jumps. :smallamused: However, it only says that you consume move actions until you complete your jump, it doesn't actually say how fast you're moving during those move actions.

Jack Zander
2010-10-18, 09:04 PM
You know, that rule makes perfect sense for long jumps, but it's not specific to long jumps. :smallamused: However, it only says that you consume move actions until you complete your jump, it doesn't actually say how fast you're moving during those move actions.

You move at your move speed.

"If you run out of movement mid-jump..." implying you can only move your move speed for each action.

Or at least, that's how its commonly interpreted.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-18, 09:14 PM
You move at your move speed.

"If you run out of movement mid-jump..." implying you can only move your move speed for each action.

Or at least, that's how its commonly interpreted.

Don't forget they might make you run if fall fast enough.
Yes, being in heavier armor fall slower.

mootoall
2010-10-18, 09:20 PM
Hmm, wasn't there an OOTS on this? With the Annis Hag?

Jack Zander
2010-10-18, 09:26 PM
Hmm, wasn't there an OOTS on this? With the Annis Hag?

There was, but it pointed out the silliness of high jumping. Not jumping out of an airplane and falling a mere 40 feet per round while wearing full plate.

Jack_Simth
2010-10-18, 09:32 PM
There was, but it pointed out the silliness of high jumping. Not jumping out of an airplane and falling a mere 40 feet per round while wearing full plate.60 feet per round. When you're going straight down, you're going in a reasonably straight line, and so qualify for the Run action.

But yeah.... let's add that to the same list as "drowning makes your HP go up".

Jack Zander
2010-10-18, 09:35 PM
60 feet per round. When you're going straight down, you're going in a reasonably straight line, and so qualify for the Run action.

But running is a full round action. When jumping you only use move actions until you end your jump.

Temotei
2010-10-18, 09:37 PM
60 feet per round. When you're going straight down, you're going in a reasonably straight line, and so qualify for the Run action.

Oh, and resting with armor does nothing bad to you, but sleeping does.

Zaydos
2010-10-18, 09:38 PM
Or point out that high jumps only list movement up as movement; you complete the jump once you reach the top.

Jack Zander
2010-10-18, 09:44 PM
Or point out that high jumps only list movement up as movement; you complete the jump once you reach the top.

I never noticed that. It ruins a few builds. I think it completely destroys the jumpolmancer unless he can also slow fall. Actually, I think it prevents the jumplomancer from making his jump check last an entire minute.

Doesn't stop people from jumping down though, since the jump is completed when they reach the ground.

John Campbell
2010-10-18, 09:48 PM
Actually, it seems to take at most two move actions, regardless of the distance fallen jumped down. You "jump" up to your movement with the first move action, and then complete the "jump" with the next move action you get.

So if you've got a 30' move, and you intentionally jump down off a 10,000' cliff, you fall 30' in your first move action, and then your next action must be a move action to complete the remaining 9,970' of the jump. (And if you make the DC 15 Jump check, you take damage as if you'd fallen only 9,990'.)

This could be exploited with long jumps, if you can hit a Jump DC significantly higher than your ordinary double-move distance.

PopcornMage
2010-10-18, 09:53 PM
There was, but it pointed out the silliness of high jumping. Not jumping out of an airplane and falling a mere 40 feet per round while wearing full plate.

The silliness is letting some player get away with that argument.

I would just say "Yeah...this isn't a Looney Toon, you go splat."

Keld Denar
2010-10-18, 09:57 PM
According to the rules for 3D combat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions), if you fall, you fall 150' in the first round, then 300 feet in every round thereafter until you hit the ground (or find some way to stop falling).

Jack Zander
2010-10-18, 09:58 PM
Actually, it seems to take at most two move actions, regardless of the distance fallen jumped down. You "jump" up to your movement with the first move action, and then complete the "jump" with the next move action you get.

So if you've got a 30' move, and you intentionally jump down off a 10,000' cliff, you fall 30' in your first move action, and then your next action must be a move action to complete the remaining 9,970' of the jump. (And if you make the DC 15 Jump check, you take damage as if you'd fallen only 9,990'.)

This could be exploited with long jumps, if you can hit a Jump DC significantly higher than your ordinary double-move distance.

I guess it depends on how the wording is interpreted. "your next action...must be a move action to complete the jump." However, "A Jump check is included in your movement, so it is part of a move action"

Does it loop until the jump is complete or does it stop after two move actions?

Zaydos
2010-10-18, 10:14 PM
I never noticed that. It ruins a few builds. I think it completely destroys the jumpolmancer unless he can also slow fall. Actually, I think it prevents the jumplomancer from making his jump check last an entire minute.

Doesn't stop people from jumping down though, since the jump is completed when they reach the ground.

It is unclear on whether you take falling damage from jumping up (only that the DC for movement traveled is only based on upward movement); but there are rules specifically for jumping down in which case you fall but take 1d6 less damage.

John Campbell
2010-10-18, 10:43 PM
I guess it depends on how the wording is interpreted. "your next action...must be a move action to complete the jump." However, "A Jump check is included in your movement, so it is part of a move action"

Does it loop until the jump is complete or does it stop after two move actions?

It says "complete", not "continue", so I'm interpreting it as the latter.

hiryuu
2010-10-19, 12:03 AM
Jumping down is called out later on in the same section and does not follow the same rules.

Jumping Down

If you intentionally jump from a height, you take less damage than you would if you just fell. The DC to jump down from a height is 15. You do not have to get a running start to jump down, so the DC is not doubled if you do not get a running start.

If you succeed on the check, you take falling damage as if you had dropped 10 fewer feet than you actually did.

So if you jump down, you're not jumping, you're falling, but you're more in control of your fall.

Jack Zander
2010-10-19, 12:19 AM
Jumping down is called out later on in the same section and does not follow the same rules.

So if you jump down, you're not jumping, you're falling, but you're more in control of your fall.

I'm not seeing where it changes the fact that you are still jumping.

hiryuu
2010-10-19, 12:25 AM
I'm not seeing where it changes the fact that you are still jumping.

It references falling damage.

If you really want to get into semantics, "falling" is never defined as a term, either. There's no actual section devoted to how to determine if you're "falling" or not because the people writing the rules didn't think people playing the game would be intentionally dense, so you can never actually "fall" unless you're flying, because that's the only place it's referenced as to how you actually start falling.

Lev
2010-10-19, 12:29 AM
Well 2 things with jump checks ive seen is jumping can make you take less damage when falling, i think after 50' it goes infinite so really you are looking at taking 60' falling damage and 600' falling damage as the same thing if you succeed the check.

Other thing is there should be some way to control moving faster in a fall as skydivers do anyway.

Foerick
2010-10-19, 05:38 AM
According to the rules for 3D combat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions), if you fall, you fall 150' in the first round, then 300 feet in every round thereafter until you hit the ground (or find some way to stop falling).

Which indicates that gravity in D&D is 8 ft/s^2 and not 32 ft/s^2 which Earth's gravity. That just throws most real world physics arguments out the door.

Heliomance
2010-10-19, 06:46 AM
And how does this interact with the Sudden leap maneuver?

Project_Mayhem
2010-10-19, 07:24 AM

Yeah, but what if you jump up ... off the edge of the cliff.

Jack Zander
2010-10-19, 11:32 AM
It references falling damage.

If you really want to get into semantics, "falling" is never defined as a term, either. There's no actual section devoted to how to determine if you're "falling" or not because the people writing the rules didn't think people playing the game would be intentionally dense, so you can never actually "fall" unless you're flying, because that's the only place it's referenced as to how you actually start falling.

I'm not saying you aren't falling. I'm saying you are falling and jumping at the same time. You take falling damage, but you are also in the middle of a jump so you follow the movement rules for jumping.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-19, 11:35 AM
Oh, and resting with armor does nothing bad to you, but sleeping does.

The next day. So, if you sleep during the day, you'll feel fine for the rest of the day and night, but the next day? Phew.

Not to mention the sleep spell. Oh, thats a nasty one.