PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Gestalt Cohort Ideas

HunterOfJello
2010-10-18, 10:32 PM
I'm DMing an EVIL 3.5e Eberron gestalt game where one of the characters will soon be getting the Leadership feat. In preparation for this I've started working on ideas for interesting and useful gestalt cohorts that they would be able to interview and choose from.

The party currently consists of:

Monk/Swordsage//Warblade - Evil Melee Maelstorm

Wizard//Sorcerer - Evil Spell Lover

Cleric/Soverign Speaker//Ranger/Abolisher - Gullible DMPC Healer and Ranged Damage (I would get rid of this DMPC, but the players like him too much.)

~

So, I wanted to get some feedback on ideas for possible cohorts. I plan on presenting 4-5 recruits who have heard about the party from some place or another and are interested in tagging along. Since this is a gestalt game I was going to aim for a general setup of Tier 1 or 2 on one side of the gestalt and a Tier 3 or 4 on the other. I figured a range of characters who are good at buffing or skillmonkeying would be a good idea.

The characters will be designed to be efficient, but not completely optimized. I'm also aiming for lots of flavor. They will also, of course, all be evil or neutral in some large fashion. Anyway, here are a few of the ideas I've come up with so far:

Warforged Artificer//Warblade

-A deadly living machine created for a war that ended right after his creation. When all warforged were declared free he sought his fortune, but doesn't understand the world of humanoids (or even what seeking your fortune means). He seeks a purpose for his existence and has had trouble finding it so far.

Kalashtar Psion//Rogue

-Not all Kalashtar give a damn about Sarlona or the Inspired. This Kalashtar would rather use his mental abilities to gain power and riches. With the ignorance of psionics that pervades Khorvaire, he should be able to make a killing.

Kobold Bard//Fire Mage (or something more interesting/useful. A singing bard who shoots out fire from his mouth while singing just sounds like too much fun)

-Dragonborn and Dragonwrought, this kobold's true dragon heritage is a secret, and he wants to keep it that way. Everyone knows of the funny little kobold bard who visits the inns in Breland and sings the songs of heroes. However, even funny little kobolds get tired of the dull safe life and have to go kill a little fun sometimes, don't they?

________ Factotum//Archivist

-I like the idea behind this archetype and know it could work well, but I'm slightly afraid it might work too well. I'm still undecided on the race and possible backgrounds for this class.

-A gnome professor from the Library of Korranberg who seeks out lost divine spells could be fun.

-A drow using the Level-Adjusted Races (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) option for the first two levels on the factotum side could work well too. He'd have a good defense against spells and still be useful.

~

Any comments, suggetsions, ideas and ramblings will be appreciated.

Wabbajack
2010-10-18, 10:50 PM
You could use Dragonfire Adept as second side for the kobold bard.
This way he has a breath weapon and the class uses cha as one of it's important stats just like the bard.

HunterOfJello
2010-10-18, 11:20 PM
You could use Dragonfire Adept as second side for the kobold bard.
This way he has a breath weapon and the class uses cha as one of it's important stats just like the bard.

I took a look at the Dragonfire Adept and Dragon Shaman, but they both seemed very subpar to me. Having a short list of weak at-will spells or weak auras wouldn't really help much. Making the kobold dragonborn for a slightly weaker breath weapon seemed like a better idea to me.

I love the idea of a dragon themed base class though, which is why I was thinking of going with Fire Mage and having all the fire shoot from the kobold's mouth.