PDA

View Full Version : Tank You

Souhiro
2010-10-19, 02:24 AM
Trank you, Mr. Giant, for answering all our pleas.

Yes, that was INDEED a crappy haircut! Haley is meant for her ponytail!

:D and the "Long hair PinUp" is impresive! You keep improving, altough Stick Figures are so limitating.

PD: I'm Spanish... Can anyone explain me the pun of "Picking Locks"?

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 02:30 AM
This was already explained in the existing thread on 752, but I'll repeat:

Picking Locks is a rogue ability, but "locks" is also a reference to the hair on the head.

Ancalagon
2010-10-19, 04:32 AM

"Locks" is long, curled hair. When Haley had to chose what sort of hair she wants, she "picked locks". The connection to her thief-class is obvious.

Bale Fire
2010-10-19, 04:43 AM
I actually quite liked the new haircut once I got used to it, and I really don't think it was something worthy of hating anyway.

But yeah, whatever.

KillItWithFire
2010-10-19, 05:33 AM
Personally I don't think any of us are really in a position to judge yet, Haley is obviously not going to leave her hair at that length as that would just be impratictical. That being said, we don't know exactly what her new haircut will look like. It may in fact, not be the pomytail she used to sport, however I have every expectation that it will be longer than what she wore for the last 100 or so strips. I'm eager to see what style Haley will pick for her newfound hair and will reserve judgment until then.

Irbis
2010-10-19, 05:54 AM
I actually quite liked the new haircut once I got used to it, and I really don't think it was something worthy of hating anyway.

Yeah. Her old one was infinitely worse :smallsigh:

Ellye
2010-10-19, 06:06 AM
I actually liked Haley short hair.

Ancalagon
2010-10-19, 06:33 AM
The hair was not bad... the new outfit was.

TaintedDeity
2010-10-19, 07:20 AM
All I know is that lying on your own long hair like that leaves you unable to sit up properly without ripping out chunks of scalp.

DoomCup
2010-10-19, 07:21 AM
I have to agree. Thank you so much, Rich, for giving Haley such fantastic, beautiful long hair, if only for one comic. You've made this fan very very happy.

I'm kind of eager to see what she does with her hair from here. I hope it'll still be long, though I know it won't be that long. :p

Kish
2010-10-19, 07:44 AM
Tank (http://www.worldwar2aces.com/tiger-tank/)? Trank (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Tranquilize)?

Is there some reason for not saying "thank" that I'm not getting?

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 07:48 AM
Non-native speaker of English.

I expect mistakes even beyond the usual, so I didn't comment.

Souhiro
2010-10-19, 08:36 AM
Nope, is just a old joke from "Duck Soup" from the Marx Brothers

Chico: "I wouldn't go out there unless I was in one of dose big iron things, go up and down like dis - whattya calla dose things?"
Groucho: "Tanks"
Chico: "You're welcome!"

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 09:06 AM
Yeah, for that joke to work you need a set-up.

Kish
2010-10-19, 10:51 AM
Nope, is just a old joke from "Duck Soup" from the Marx Brothers

Chico: "I wouldn't go out there unless I was in one of dose big iron things, go up and down like dis - whattya calla dose things?"
Groucho: "Tanks"
Chico: "You're welcome!"
The first line from Chico that you quoted was there for a reason, you know.

(Still wondering why you also want to drug Rich.)

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 10:53 AM
If any of the comics have a background character begging to be freed we'll know.

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-19, 12:29 PM
"Hail, hail Freeeedoooonia..." !

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-19, 12:35 PM
All I know is that lying on your own long hair like that leaves you unable to sit up properly without ripping out chunks of scalp.
Pro Tip: leave plenty of slack before lying down.

cho_j
2010-10-20, 12:02 AM

Pues, "locks" puede significar "pelo" o "cerradura." "To pick" puede significar "escoger" o "abrir (una cerradura)". Entonces, porque Haley es una pícara, es como un doble juego de palabras. En este contexto, "picking locks" es "escogiendo su estilo de pelo," pero muchas veces con Haley, referiría a sus habilidades con cerraduras. Creo que el Giant quería que pensáramos que el cómic sería mas de las venturas de Haley y V.

Lo siento si haya hecho algún error; todavía estoy aprendiendo español. :smallbiggrin:

(También, no sé si pusiste "P.D." a propósito o no, pero en ingles es "P.S.")

Souhiro
2010-10-20, 02:03 AM
Gracias, Cho-J! ya lo habian explicado antes... no tnia ni idea de que "Lock" significase 'Rizo'. Ahora tiene mas sentido que "Locker" sea tambien un relicario o "Guardapelo" como decian en 'el principe mestizo'.

Thank you, everyone! (Yeah, this time, without the iron things that go up and down like dis)

JoseB
2010-10-20, 04:13 AM
(También, no sé si pusiste "P.D." a propósito o no, pero en ingles es "P.S.")

Another native Spanish speaker chiming in: "P.D." is the standard abbreviation, in Spanish, that is equivalent to "P.S.".

"P.D." means "Postdata", which is how you say "Post-script" in Spanish :) It is very common for native speakers of Spanish to use the wrong abbreviation if they don't pay attention. It happens to me all the time...

Incidentally, cho_j: Your Spanish is quite good :) Congratulations! How long have you been studying it?

Souhiro
2010-10-20, 04:58 AM
Yeah... at starts, i think that Cho_J was another spaniard!

Well, feel free to shoot whenever anyone finds grammar errors, it's the ONLY way to learn!

Thanks again!