PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Ability Scores and Spell Per Day ???

backpackjack
2010-10-19, 10:12 AM
How do fluctuating ability scores affect a caster's spells per day? How do these fluctuations affect prepared and spontaneous casters differently?

Let's take two characters a tenth level wizard (with 20 Int) and a tenth level sorcerer (with 20 Cha).

A tenth level wizard with a 20 intelligence can cast 4xzero, 6xfirst, 5xsecond, 4xthird, 4xfourth, and 3xthird level spells per day. (Tenth level gives him 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2 zero through fifth level spells per day and having 20 intelligence gives him 2, 1, 1, 1, 1 first through fifth level spells per day.)

A tenth level sorcerer with a 20 charisma can cast 6xzero, 8xfirst, 7xsecond, 7xthird, 6xfourth, and 4xfifth level spells per day. (Tenth level gives her 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 3 zero through fifth level spells per day and having 20 intelligence gives her 2, 1, 1, 1, 1 first through fifth level spells per day.)

I presuming I got the numbers right above, if the wizard wore a headband of intellect +2 and the sorcerer wore a cloak of charisma +2 (raising their primary casting ability score to 22), I both the wizard and sorcerer would be able to cast an additional 2nd level spell each day (and an additional 6th level spell, but they don't have access to those yet at 10th level). Right?

How would things differ for the wizard and sorcerer assuming they put their items on or took them off during the day? Would the wizard be able to add a spell to memorize in the middle of the day? How about the sorcerer, could she, after putting on the cloak, just get to start casting that additional spell right away?

How about for temporary effects like Fox's Cunning and Eagle's Splendor? Can our Wizard under the effects of Fox's Cunning get to memorize and cast additional spells while under the effects of the spell? How does it work differently for the Sorcerer under the effects of Eagle's Splendor?

If it's is the case that the wizard can cast more spells per day when wearing an item that raises his primary ability score, if that item is removed, which, if any, spells disappear from memory?

Thanks. :smallamused:

senrath
2010-10-19, 10:17 AM
I'm pretty sure bonus spells only take into account your base stat. Meaning things like Headbands of Intellects and such don't influence it at all.

Mikka
2010-10-19, 10:20 AM
If you wear it 24/7 it counts.
It allows the caster to prepare more spells, thus if he goes to sleep with +2 casting stat he wakes up with a spell or two more that he can cast a day. If he takes it off during the day he immediately loses those extra spells.

Greenish
2010-10-19, 10:21 AM
I'm pretty sure bonus spells only take into account your base stat. Meaning things like Headbands of Intellects and such don't influence it at all.Any effect that sticks long enough for you to rest and prepare spells counts.

senrath
2010-10-19, 10:22 AM
Ah, right. My mistake.

Eloel
2010-10-19, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty sure bonus spells only take into account your base stat. Meaning things like Headbands of Intellects and such don't influence it at all.

I think stuff effect it if they last the whole day. Like, if they are there when you rest, when you memorize AND till you finish casting spells for the day.
So yes, you could go with casting Fox's Cunning in rapid succession, without a break, but if there's a break, you lose the bonus spells - which I like to prepare seperately in case that becomes an issue. I'd say it'd be random (negative-level like) if they weren't specifically told.

Unfortunately, I don't have a source for that - that's just how I always interpreted it.

Edit: Swordsages, everywhere...

backpackjack
2010-10-19, 10:24 AM
Any effect that sticks long enough for you to rest and prepare spells counts.

So does the extra 2nd spell just disappear if the Wizard takes off the Headband of Intellect? Which spell?

Greenish
2010-10-19, 10:25 AM
So does the extra 2nd spell just disappear if the Wizard takes off the Headband of Intellect? Which spell?Determined at random.

Eloel
2010-10-19, 10:26 AM
So does the extra 2nd spell just disappear if the Wizard takes off the Headband of Intellect? Which spell?

Ones you memorized the first, chronologically. Random, if they weren't listed as such. Makes in-game sense :smallbiggrin:

senrath
2010-10-19, 10:28 AM
I'd have the person specify which spell they were preparing in their "extra" slot, and lose that one if they lose the bonus. If they've already cast it when the slot would be lost, nothing further happens.

Kaww
2010-10-19, 10:35 AM
I'd have the person specify which spell they were preparing in their "extra" slot, and lose that one if they lose the bonus. If they've already cast it when the slot would be lost, nothing further happens.

And this way the whole day buff spell slots are determined... :smallamused:

Zaydos
2010-10-19, 10:40 AM
It's the same as if you took Int damage; you lose one spell at random until your Int is restored.

backpackjack
2010-10-19, 10:41 AM
EDIT (Ah, ninjaed. That is, questions answered just before asked.)

How about a circumstance in which the Wizard or Sorcerer has his or her primary attribute lowered through some event, say a spell or effect. Does she just lose the ability to cast some or all of her as yet unused spells?

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 11:13 AM
EDIT (Ah, ninjaed. That is, questions answered just before asked.)

How about a circumstance in which the Wizard or Sorcerer has his or her primary attribute lowered through some event, say a spell or effect. Does she just lose the ability to cast some or all of her as yet unused spells?

this depends on how low the stat in question goes. If it dips below the score required to cast that level of spell (i.e. 15 for 5th level spells), they all go *POOF!*

Greenish
2010-10-19, 11:20 AM
this depends on how low the stat in question goes. If it dips below the score required to cast that level of spell (i.e. 15 for 5th level spells), they all go *POOF!*No, they don't. You just can't cast them until you have the requisite score again.