PDA

View Full Version : Where to stash a large water elemental?

Nanoblack
2010-10-19, 11:53 AM
Well... er... BLOOD elemental. I have recently taken a liking to this particular homebrew class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167125&highlight=sanguimancer), and now that I am high enough level to get one I don't know what to do with it! In my game I'm currently 8th level, which means a large water(Blood) elemental... which means its about the size of a horse.

That alone eliminates carrying it in a jug, swallowing it and vomiting when backup is needed, and throwing a towel over it (it'll soak through).

So what are some good ways to bring this thing with you without having people run in terror from the horrible walking blob monster?

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 11:56 AM
Travel around with a Beer Wagon.

Either that, or convince the DM to let the elemental be found in a condensed, less noticeable form for storage, perhaps dehydrating and then reforming from the ambient liquid.

bokodasu
2010-10-19, 12:31 PM
Bag of Holding? They don't breathe, so they should be ok, right? Although I'd probably ask for a refluffed "flask of holding" or something like that, for the coolth.

edit: Oh. Water elementals sure are heavy. Um... Bag of Holding Type VI? It should only cost 20k gold...

edit edit: Well, would you look at that! A portable hole is the right size and costs 20k gold AND just says there's no air, unlike the bag of holding's "after 10 minutes the creature inside suffocates" which by some particularly picky interpretations could mean your non-breathing elemental still suffocates. There you go. (Hope you didn't want to buy anything else.)

Person_Man
2010-10-19, 12:55 PM
Create a Large (or bigger) undead or golemn. Drain it of it's blood. Replace with Blood Elemental.

Skorj
2010-10-19, 01:23 PM
If the question starts with "where do I stash", and the answer isn't "a portable hole", that makes me a sad panda. :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 01:26 PM
Create a Large (or bigger) undead or golemn. Drain it of it's blood. Replace with Blood Elemental.

I like the golem idea. Create a hollow Stone Golem and put the elemental inside of it.

Person_Man
2010-10-19, 01:28 PM
I like the golem idea. Create a hollow Stone Golem and put the elemental inside of it.

Make it a stone golem of your preferred deity or saint, so that they can cry blood, and you can get mentioned on the local tv news.

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 01:43 PM
Make it a stone golem of your preferred deity or saint, so that they can cry blood, and you can get mentioned on the local tv news.

You could probably make a few g.p. off of it, too.

Nanoblack
2010-10-19, 01:58 PM
I can't believe I didn't think about the portable hole... the golem might not be as applicable. It might scare the peasants... :smalleek:

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 02:03 PM
I can't believe I didn't think about the portable hole... the golem might not be as applicable. It might scare the peasants... :smalleek:

But the golem would be so much fun (and profit!).

Icewraith
2010-10-19, 02:55 PM
dust of dryness? Fling a pebble at someone and they get knocked flat by a blood elemental? Probably something won't work RAW by it's more fun I think.

mobdrazhar
2010-10-19, 03:13 PM
put it in a decanter of endless water (blood)?

herrhauptmann
2010-10-19, 03:28 PM
Create a Large (or bigger) undead or golem. Drain it of it's blood. Replace with Blood Elemental.
Trying to remember what size elemental you get with 'Extract water elemental'. Doesn't a medium sized creature create a small sized elemental? I'd suggest then going for an undead 1 size larger than the elemental, or depending on type, a golem 2 sizes larger. (It would make sense to me that there's only so much you can hollow out a metal/stone golem before it gets drastically weakened. So that precludes placing a large elem in a large golem. Large elem and huge flesh golem should work along same lines the spell)

-Was going to suggest a portable hole. Recite random gibberish like you're casting a spell, then toss out the hole.
-Shrink item on a portable hole, wear it pinned around your neck like a cloak, now it's a free action to revert the shrunken item. Bonus if you don't even need to remove the cloak, just revert it, reach inside, and pull out the elemental. Reactivate teh shrink magic at the end of your turn, or start of the next one.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-10-19, 03:49 PM
dust of dryness? Fling a pebble at someone and they get knocked flat by a blood elemental? Probably something won't work RAW by it's more fun I think.
Would it be dragging too much science into this to mention that real blood tends to have solids in it? So, you know, the dust would suck up the plasma, but leave behind a mess of platelets and blood cells.

Of course, even then, who knows what the composition of a Blood Elemental is?

AtwasAwamps
2010-10-19, 03:51 PM
You have all ignored the best possibility.

Huge beer keg.

Doomboy911
2010-10-19, 03:52 PM
Drain a few horses of their blood and put the blood elemental inside it . Tell the elemental to move the horses problem solved.

Malbordeus
2010-10-19, 04:32 PM
freeze it into an Ice golem and then thaw it out later?

portable hole? might be able to fit more than one in there if i remember the dimensions.

get a purple worm zombie to swallow it and serve as locomotion? (or you could just put the blood elemental inside the veins and then travel in the worms gut... :smallamused:

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 06:30 PM
You have all ignored the best possibility.

Huge beer keg.

What do you think was on the Beer Wagon?

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 06:48 PM
What do you think was on the Beer Wagon?

Moar beerz?

Geohound13
2010-10-19, 07:33 PM
In your enemys lungs! :smallcool:

dgnslyr
2010-10-19, 11:26 PM
In your enemys lungs! :smallcool:

I hate you for your sig.

On topic, I like the stone golem idea.

Prime32
2010-10-20, 07:47 AM
I like the golem idea. Create a hollow Stone Golem and put the elemental inside of it.See: blood golems of Hextor. They wear armour.

panaikhan
2010-10-20, 07:57 AM
Have a lavish caravan with a huge water-bed in the back...

Coidzor
2010-10-20, 08:11 AM
Well, since you'll be wanting some way of transporting your loot anyway and mules are large, 8 gp creatures...

Nifty ability though, healing yourself off of the foes you'd otherwise coup de grace to keep from stabilizing and coming back to haunt ya.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-10-20, 10:39 AM
Clearly, you keep it in a Water Closet :smallcool:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-20, 10:50 AM
See: blood golems of Hextor. They wear armour.

+1 to this, I mean look at this
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50169.jpg

thought it might be counterproductive since you don't want to scare the peasants.....<.< >.>

kestrel404
2010-10-20, 11:34 AM
Buy a very large sheet of rubber or black oiled canvas. Make the elemental wear it. Claim that he's a half-ogre who's really into that sort of thing.

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 11:37 AM
Buy a very large sheet of rubber or black oiled canvas.

Better yet, get him a Holocaust Cloak (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IncendiaryExponent).

Crossblade
2010-10-20, 11:39 AM
If you don't want to scare peasants, why is it made of blood?

Greenish
2010-10-20, 11:51 AM
If you don't want to scare peasants, why is it made of blood?Because, surprisingly, a bloodmage's companion isn't made of iced tea.

Prime32
2010-10-20, 01:34 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50169.jpgThat looks suspiciously like a Necron. Cue every WH40K fan in this thread telling me it doesn't. :p

Because, surprisingly, a bloodmage's companion isn't made of iced tea.Iced-tea Mage is overpowered anyway.

Randel
2010-10-20, 05:07 PM
Craft a big waterproof (bloodproof?) rubber or leather suit thing and make it in the shape of a buffalo or something. Or maybe one of those chinese new year dragons. Then have the elemental crawl inside and walk around in its disguise.

Basically make a suit so you can disguise it as a big puffy cute thing that follows you around. You might even be able to ride it (since you'd be riding the suit thats moving because the elemental inside is moving around).

At first people might think its some kind of colorful monster or a construct. Then enemies might attack it and puncture holes in it... then the blood seeps out and they might think its a monster.

But if the suit has a hatch or opening then you can just order the blood elemental to exit the suit and start attacking. Once that's done just order it back in the suit, mend up any holes, and be on your way.

Not sure how liquid the elemental is but you should be able to get it to walk on all fours or whatever you need to disguise it as something else.

Fable Wright
2010-10-20, 05:16 PM
Actually, going along with the golem idea: Why bother enchanting the body? :smallconfused:

It's just a storage container for your blood elemental, so why bother paying a relatively large bill for an actual stone golem, when you can just hollow out a statue and put some joints in it? Your blood companion masquerades as a golem, a perfectly legitimate companion for a mage (getting the peasants to respect you, but not quite fear you), and you can use your blood companion to carry your things and what not as it now has a body that can support the weight.

Cerlis
2010-10-20, 09:20 PM
corpses. lotsa them

Rizeska
2010-10-20, 09:27 PM
Of course, you could always hide it where people would least expect it:

Inside another blood elemental! :D

Frightened townsfolk #1: AH! Why is there a blood elemental walking down the street!?
Nanoblack: It's storing my other blood elemental!
Frightened townsfolk #2: Truly, we were not expecting this!

holywhippet
2010-10-20, 09:42 PM
Could you arrange some kind of illusion spell (via an item maybe?) that makes it look like something else? You could pass it off as your unusually large, mute bodyguard.

Coidzor
2010-10-20, 11:01 PM
Have you inquired about any magical dyes?

Amiel
2010-10-21, 12:44 AM
I was also going to suggest a decanter of endless water.

How about this piece of lateral thinking?

Store them within your own blood?

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 01:37 AM
How about this piece of lateral thinking?

Store them within your own blood?

Too big, I think. Do you want it coming out??

Amiel
2010-10-21, 01:46 AM
You could get an item that causes the elemental to merge with your circulatory system (perhaps giving you a bonus to Con or such), and that displaces the blood elemental outside of your body, replacing and replenishing your own blood in the process.

Morithias
2010-10-21, 01:57 AM
That looks suspiciously like a Necron. Cue every WH40K fan in this thread telling me it doesn't. :p

Iced-tea Mage is overpowered anyway.

Suddenly I had a crazy idea of a 'lemonade' elemental. Whose attacks have a ton of sugar in them so they cause wounding. (Yes I know it's salt you're not suppose to put in cuts, but seriously sugar can't be that good for it either.)

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 02:13 AM
The lemon juice alone might be an issue.

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 04:20 AM
Basically make a suit so you can disguise it as a big puffy cute thing that follows you around. You might even be able to ride it (since you'd be riding the suit thats moving because the elemental inside is moving around).

GENIUS!!! Put it in a Pokeball! (Pokemon are cute, aren't they?)

I choose you, Blood Elemental!! :smalltongue:

Lapak
2010-10-21, 08:56 AM
If the concern is just that a blood elemental scares people, while a water elemental might not, you could use Seeming on it. I don't see any reason that it couldn't recolor the thing from scary red to peaceful blue. As an added bonus, you can disguise the rest of the party, too!

EDIT: Just noticed you're 8th level. Never mind!