PDA

View Full Version : Red Hand of ... Blades?

golem1972
2010-10-19, 01:00 PM
My group is playing in Eberron, and coming to the end of their current story arc.
I have the RHoD module, but want to play it a little differently. I've been thinking of replacing the hobgoblins with warforged and Azar with the Lord of Blades. Various warforged (homebrews actually) can easily replace most of the encounters, but I'm kind of at a loss for the dragons. What to replace them with has me stumped (and I have thought about just making living construct dragons).

Essentially the homebrewed warforged races are Scout (small race with few changes), Warrior (basically standard warforged with few changes), Juggernaut (Large warforged), and Titan (huge warforged). The Godforged are my cleric caste (probably favored souls).

The last keep will be in the mournland, and the aspect will be replaced with... you can probably figure that out without to much trouble.

So, any suggestions for the dragons (and probably the ghostlord)?

Seffbasilisk
2010-10-19, 01:12 PM
That's tricky. Not a lot of things can stand in for a Dragon, especially in Eberron.

How do you want them subbed in for? Combat wise? Roleplay wise? What?

Nanoblack
2010-10-19, 01:23 PM
Why not just use a dragon? If the means leads to the LoB's ends then who cares?

Alternately, the hellfire engine (Tyrants of the Nine Hells) is CR19 but is really good at breathing flames :smallbiggrin:

Tvtyrant
2010-10-19, 01:27 PM
Dragon Effigy with an infinite wand of Cone of Fire (as cone of cold) in its mouth. Make it the tounge for good measure. Has a UMD of 100, uses wands for spellcasting.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-19, 01:53 PM
Effigies are a good answer for this. Some of the RHOD dragons are pretty underpowered anyhow, so adding +2 LA and some fun for them should be quite reasonable.

You will have to entirely change the background/town layout and fluff, and remake the stats, but the core concept of leading up to a grand battle, with a campaign of small encounters and determining impact via final battle + victory points is fine.

Edit: The ghostlord can probably be left as is, given that undead are just dandy in the ghostlands.

Fax Celestis
2010-10-19, 02:32 PM
So, any suggestions for the dragons (and probably the ghostlord)?

Templated warforged titans? Consider applying templates that normally don't apply (like a xorvintaal half-dragon warforged titan).

golem1972
2010-10-19, 04:51 PM
I may just go with half dragon and/or half fiend warforged. Or maybe just slap the living construct type on regular dragons.

The Razor fiends may just end up being an "unanticipated benifit of the forging process". Not really sure, as reproduction is one of the necessary concerns.

Just trying to break down what an organized warforged army would be like now. Very structured, without a lot of the weaknesses of a human army. No supply wagons (or very limited), no fatigue, no disease, no sleep. A very mobile army with no need to actually "make camp". I'll have to work on that.

AslanCross
2010-10-21, 07:48 AM
Why not just use a dragon? If the means leads to the LoB's ends then who cares?

Alternately, the hellfire engine (Tyrants of the Nine Hells) is CR19 but is really good at breathing flames :smallbiggrin:

The fluff for true dragons in Eberron is that they really aren't native to the continent that the Lord of Blades operates on. There are dragons on Khorvaire, but many of them are in hiding.

The Hellfire Engine's pretty awesome, though its CR is insanely high.

Forge of War has a Warforged Raptor. It's a large flier that has a lot of bombardment maneuvers. It's CR 8 and has Int 5. I guess it's possible to actually make them smart enough to match dragons, or even bind in fiends to power them up.

Project_Mayhem
2010-10-21, 08:23 AM
Maybe the Lord of Blades has found the power to control dragons? Some artefact that means they have to obey him. The dragons have set the PCs up to deal with this threat,unable to confront him directly.

The enemy dragons could all be captured and modified - so half-construct.

Runestar
2010-10-21, 08:48 AM
Warforged qualify for the dragonborn template.

There has to be some use for these "dragonforged". :smalltongue:

AslanCross
2010-10-21, 11:02 AM
Maybe the Lord of Blades has found the power to control dragons? Some artefact that means they have to obey him. The dragons have set the PCs up to deal with this threat,unable to confront him directly.

The enemy dragons could all be captured and modified - so half-construct.

I was thinking the same thing at first, but the artifact that comes to mind is one of the Orbs of Dragonkind.

In Eberron, mere possession of the thing by non-dragons merits apocalyptic retribution. It takes a lot to even get the dragons' attention, but when they perceive a direct threat to their survival, they mobilize en masse. It's like provoking a nation made up entirely of geniuses who happen to be long-range strategic bombers.

Project_Mayhem
2010-10-21, 11:23 AM
Yeah but if you homebrew an artefact that gives the bearer absolute unyielding control over any dragons he encounters, they wouldn't be able to charge in. They'd use proxies. And turn up at the end to take the orb themselves. Giving an optional bonus boss

Marnath
2010-10-21, 02:04 PM
Forge of War has a Warforged Raptor. It's a large flier that has a lot of bombardment maneuvers. It's CR 8 and has Int 5. I guess it's possible to actually make them smart enough to match dragons, or even bind in fiends to power them up.

I agree with using these, with boosted int. The stats are posted on the WoTC site here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070618a&page=5).

Thrawn183
2010-10-21, 02:08 PM
Why not just say they're warforged dragons? The LoB has been experimenting with new kinds of warforged, so of course he/she/it models them after the most powerful thing he can think of.

Shouldn't take too much modification.

The-Mage-King
2010-10-21, 02:20 PM
Why not use some of the Meta-Dragons from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169209)? They're living constructs, and should work for that...

EDIT: Though most are LG... Hell, its Eberron. It doesn't matter.