PDA

View Full Version : Warstories and other interesting things (4E)

Shnezz
2010-10-19, 01:01 PM
Basicly, the making of this was 50% 'I wanna tell someone this story' and 50% 'I'm bored, wonder what other peoples stories are'.

So, if it's 4th edition DnD and even has the chance of being interesting, put it up. here's mine, spoiler'd.

So, we're running a high-level campaign, and we're all level 27. My character regularly is sitting on death's doorstep when he gets pulled back, so I decided to make a new character in advance.

I chose two-weapon ranger. Oh. My. God.

Level 15 daily Blade Cascade is "Attack until you miss. Alternate mainhand and offhand weapons." ... FYI, his weapons are +6 Vicious Rapiers (Vicious is +6d12 on crit). Due to feats, he has another +1d10 on crit, +3d8 hunter's quarry dice, 19-20 crit range, free offhand attack on crit with mainhand, +33 to hit, +18 damage per attack, and 3 daily attack re-rolls. And my DM ruled I can use as many re-rolls in a single turn as I want. (My last said 1/turn.)

So, I start Blade Cascade. Anytime I would roll a miss, I re-roll it so the attack keeps going, until all 3 rerolls are done. Minor: Epic Trick. This allows me to regain daily powers, and since my re-rolls are specified as so many per day, it's been ruled they refresh too. So my second blade cascade (Using action point) also gets 3 rerolls.

Long story short? Slightly over 900 damage vs a dwarf fighter in a test 1v1 arena-style deathmatch, before he got his first turn. With 4 crits between two attacks.

Muahahaha...:smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2010-10-19, 03:43 PM
You did read the updated rules, right? It ends on the fifth attack. Also, where are your rerolls coming from? Depending on the source, Epic Trick might actually not do anything for them. For example, Sly Fortune's Favor (where you're probably drawing this from) is not a power, it's a feature, and thus Epic Trick does not work with it.

Shnezz
2010-10-19, 03:48 PM
Hm... Well, I'm glad this was practice arena, and not in the real game. Serious (unintended) munchkinry might have occured.

I did not read that it ended 5th attack. Since one of those had somewhere around 13 attacks in it, that would be a damper. As for the re-rolls, it is a feature, but I got my DM to agree to it. That much was acknowledged, even if it normally isnt true.

Kurald Galain
2010-10-19, 03:48 PM
Muahahaha...:smallbiggrin:
Well, that is the trick that lets a level-15 character one-shot the toughest enemy in the Monstrous Manual (i.e. Orcus), which was discovered the week before 4E was released. It was nerfed two weeks later, though. Nice try, but no cigar.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-10-19, 03:51 PM
Yeah... you'll want to check the Errata.

Look at the PDFs here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updatesarchive) or invest in an updated Character Builder. Buying a DDI subscription for one month at $10 (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/subscription.aspx) is very much worth it.

Shnezz
2010-10-19, 03:53 PM
Thanks for all that. And, I actually had not read anything online about that, it was entirely stumbled upon AFTER the character was made. I chose the daily "Blade Cascade" before I picked Paragon and Epic Destiny.

Looks like I'll have to double-check everything before he gets played.

Aron Times
2010-10-19, 03:58 PM
IIRC the Orcus Slayer ranger was a Ranger/Rogue/Stormwarden/Deadly Trickster that could kill Orcus twice over in a single round.

Amoren
2010-10-19, 05:59 PM
Well, back on to this thread's intended purpose, I've got my own war story from 4e!

This was my second 4e campain, the first being a mid level one shot for me so I could get acquanted with the system. We were playing in a royal/political cross fires adventure with the gist being we had to protect a dwarven warlord PC who was a Prince, and an NPC dwarven princess he was being married too. My character was a level one rogue kobold who was the Prince's slave, a devoted and loyal evil son of a bitch who used cooking impliments as weapons (specifically, he used sharpened sporks as shurkiens) until they found a magical +1 dagger he was allowed to use. He didn't have a last name at first.

The first session's action sstarts up when some Eladrin ambush the inn we were all staying in. We do a number of encounters, running as we do so. I crit in the first encounter, nearly dropping one elf. Next encounter, two crits and both drop. Third encounter, his surprise round crits a minion, causing it to explode in blood with his new +1 dagger, then crits next turn and nearly finishes off another enemy. The party then charges out into the stables, a few rounds of combat, and one of the enemies tries to run; provoking attacks of opportunity from me and our barbarian... Both crit.

By the time the session ended, he had scored nearly ten crits and was covered in a layer of blood from the poor creatures he visiciously took apart. He earned the last name Crimsonscale that day. He even earned a share of the party's loot, as his Dwarven Master stated, "I'm just making sure I'm on his good side; because if he wanted to, I'm sure he could kill every one of us."

Next session I got to learn how overpowered minor action shifts were. :D

Jaidu
2010-10-19, 10:42 PM
Fun stuff, so far...
In a Dark Sun game, we had entered into the psychic realm of a deceased child in an effort to stop his psychic echoes from disturbing the citizens of Baalic. He was a big badass who was generally good at smacking us around and teleporting. We were on a series of floating platforms over giant empty nothingness, and had no idea what would happen if we fell. I was playing a Thri-Kreen Slayer, and had gone up along with our barbarian to engage him in melee while our ranged characters tried to free our warlord from psionic chains. We were doing pretty well, but I was low on resources, having spent my second wind, and being some 20 squares away from our only leader.

Then, the big guy dazed me, leaving me with 4 HP, and teleported across the map, nine squares away with a 30-foot gap in between us. I was in Berserker's Charge stance, and had a +15 to Athletics, so I did what any crazy Thri-Kreen would do. I made a jumping charge. Luckily, I cleared the gap and delivered the killing blow. I rolled a 15 on my Athletics check, and any lower would have dropped me into the abyss and finished me.