PDA

View Full Version : Fleshforged Goblin

togapika
2010-10-19, 03:38 PM
This is a race I designed using the rules in Dreamscarred press' Complete Races. Mostly interested in advice on the flavor and making sure it's power is in line... Keep in mind I plan on using this for a PBP set mostly in the underdark

Besides the lowly kobold, goblins are most likely the most underrated race. Between being physically small and weak to being pushed around by just about every other race in existence they hadn't been able to get the respect and power they felt they deserved.

So they turned to underhanded tactics and sheer numbers to attempt to accomplish their goals, and that worked to a certain extent for a while, but was still not enough for some. In the end a select group of goblins decided they were going to use the most underhanded tactic of all: modifying themselves...

So they did what every race does when it wants to become more powerful, they went into the underdark.
After realizing that just living in the underdark didn't spontaneously make you awesome, and that it was through evolution, which takes many years they decided to make a "deal with the devil".

They located many of the underdark races famed for their power, such as the Illithid, Yuan-Ti, and others and through a combination of psionic power, fleshcrafting, and studying both their own physiologies and that of the other races, they managed to enact some of the changes they wanted. With their newfound power, the goblins will finally be able to claim the place in the world they feel they so rightly deserve...

Fleshforged Goblin posses the following traits:
* +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
* Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ of those of Medium characters.
* Fleshforged base land speed is 30 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Psionic Vessel: Fleshforged gain 1 bonus power point per level.
* Mind Forged: Fleshforged have Power Resistance equal to 11+Class Level
* Racial Prowess: A Fleshforged has the ability to buy graft feats without meeting the prerequisites
* Unnoticed: Fleshforged can use Cloud Mind 1/day Manifester level equal to hit dice. If they take levels in a manifesting class, Cloud Mind is automatically added to their list of power they can manifest.
* Due to their Psionic tampering Fleshforged goblin are unable to take levels in any class that grants spellcasting, and are unable to use magic items that directly cast spell (Scrolls, Wands, etc.) even through use of the Use Magic Device skill
* Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
* Favored Class: Psion?.
* Level Adjustment: +1.

Point Calculation for those interested

Darkvision 60ft -3
Speed Boost-1
Power Resistance 11+Class-3
Naturally Psionic 4-4
+2 Wis-2
+2 Con-4
-2 Cha(-2)
Ability to Buy Graft feats-1
Cloud Mind 1/Day ML=HD-2
Innability to Cast magic(-2)
Goblinoid Subtype-0
Total=16 LA+1

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-19, 04:00 PM
Would this be for the campaign i'm DMing?

togapika
2010-10-19, 04:15 PM
Yeah. Couldn't find any good templates I liked, and you said all the Dragonscarred Press stuff was open. Figured I'd get some feedback to ensure it was balanced before I presented it to you...

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-19, 04:26 PM
I think it's fine, but did you include the bonuses and negatives from the small size?

togapika
2010-10-19, 04:39 PM
I thought not all small races needed the -2 Str +2 Dex?

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-19, 06:10 PM
I thought not all small races needed the -2 Str +2 Dex?

In Complete Races small size has it's own bonuses and penalties (-2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con IIRC).

togapika
2010-10-19, 07:07 PM
Ah ok, guess some further reading is in store.
Ehh, I'll just make them medium sized

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-19, 08:13 PM
Ah ok, guess some further reading is in store.
Ehh, I'll just make them medium sized

You can use 2 points to give them slight build.

togapika
2010-10-20, 02:55 PM
Here is the final version for your perusal...

Fleshforged Goblin posses the following traits:
* Abberations with the Goblinoid Subtype (Just the type, no free proficiencies)
* +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
* Medium size
* Though they have managed to make themselves a bit larger, they are still small by medium standards:Slight Build
* Fleshforged base land speed is 40 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Psionic Vessel: Fleshforged gain 1 bonus power point per level.
* Mind Forged: Fleshforged have Power Resistance equal to 11+Class Level
* Racial Prowess: A Fleshforged has the ability to buy graft feats without meeting the prerequisites
* Unnoticed: Fleshforged can use Cloud Mind 1/day Manifester level equal to hit dice. If they take levels in a manifesting class, Cloud Mind is automatically added to their list of power they can manifest.
* Lazy: Fleshforged can use Retrieve at will but only with the effects of it's non-augmented cost and it cannot be used on an item in the possesion of an opponent
* Due to their Psionic tampering Fleshforged goblin are unable to take levels in any class that grants spellcasting, and are unable to use magic items that directly cast spell (Scrolls, Wands, etc.) even through use of the Use Magic Device skill
* Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
* Favored Class: Psion
* Level Adjustment: +2.

Abberation Type-1
Darkvision 60ft -3
Speed Boost-1
Slight Build-2
Power Resistance 11+Class-3
Naturally Psionic 4-4
+2 Wis-2
+2 Con-4
-2 Cha(-2)
Ability to Buy Graft feats-1