PDA

View Full Version : I think I might be addicted to RPGs/D&D

randomhero00
2010-10-19, 05:46 PM
Is that even possible? Seriously, I get the blues if we have to even skip one week of play. :(

PopcornMage
2010-10-19, 06:03 PM
It could be the social aspect you're missing.

Or maybe it's the dice rolling.

More experiments will be necessary.

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 06:05 PM
Hi. My name is Dave, and I'm a roleplaying addict.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-19, 06:09 PM
Is that even possible?

Yes. See a psychologist to confirm.

Coidzor
2010-10-19, 06:11 PM
Well, if it's a primary social outlet, I can definitely see it becoming an important part of your emotional health.

Kurald Galain
2010-10-19, 06:14 PM

Hello, Dave!

Morph Bark
2010-10-19, 06:16 PM
I would be greatly saddened if we couldn't play, but seeing as I can still meet two of the players (my best friends) and get together to do other stuff, it's not so bad. Prettymuch happened last week.

JonestheSpy
2010-10-19, 06:26 PM
When you start missing work, classes, family holidays, etc for playing, then you've got a problem.

Til then, just compare yourself to the average sports fan. you're probably less obsessive.

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 06:36 PM
Hello, Dave!

At least somebody got it. Been to many support groups KG?

Tengu_temp
2010-10-19, 06:49 PM
I don't think if you're addicted. I think you are very passionate about a hobby, and therefore feel sad when you can't practice that hobby. Some people might call it addiction, but I call it having interests.

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 06:49 PM
I don't think if you're addicted. I think you are very passionate about a hobby, and therefore feel sad when you can't practice that hobby. Some people might call it addiction, but I call it having interests.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. The first stage is denial...:smallwink:

Seffbasilisk
2010-10-19, 06:54 PM
It's quite possible to be addicted.

Currently, I'm in one play by post game, one maptools game (using Vent.), and I currently am wrapped up in worries about the:

Dresden Files game (PAUSED)
D&D v3.5 (PAUSED: Ex-girlfriend kinda mucked that group up)
D&D Gesalt (PAUSED)
D&D v3.5 (PAUSED: DM at college)
D&D V3.5 (PAUSED: Players in other states)
LARP (Left: No longer at the school)

and many others.

I've hit refresh to check if the DM posted in the play by post maybe two score times so far, and actually just did it again.

I keep my dice and most of my gaming supplies in a backpack that I can easily grab. I can run most numbers in my mind, and the night after my first D&D game, I memorized most of the PHB.

I break IRL things down to game terms.

Am I addicted? No. I've got a high willsave.

Christopher K.
2010-10-19, 06:54 PM
I prefer the anger stage. Angry people are funny.

I'm addicted, to some degree; I spend a lot of time thinking about when I'll get my next 'fix' but that's mostly because I've developed a distaste for computer gaming and my xbox is broken.

Tengu_temp
2010-10-19, 07:06 PM
Tsk, tsk, tsk. The first stage is denial...:smallwink:

Eh, there is a difference between how I feel about RPGs (since my feelings are similar to the OP in this regard, though I prefer PbP game), and how I feel about the computer - and I'm pretty sure I am addicted to the computer and internet. Coincidentally, I'm fine with this addiction and don't want to get rid of it.

Zaydos
2010-10-19, 07:12 PM

I've introduced myself this way before. It was at a board game club.

Cadian 9th
2010-10-19, 07:17 PM

Hello Dave! How are you today?

Your avatar is so awesome, by the way.

Currently, I'm in one play by post game, one maptools game (using Vent.), and I currently am wrapped up in worries about the:

D&D Gesalt (PAUSED)

and many others.

I've hit refresh to check if the DM posted in the play by post maybe two score times so far, and actually just did it again.

I keep my dice and most of my gaming supplies in a backpack that I can easily grab. I can run most numbers in my mind, and the night after my first D&D game, I memorized most of the PHB.

Check my threads started... :smallfrown: And I've got all my DnD books local on my ipod, calculator dice roller. I play a lot of DnD. I revel in it. But I do other things. I talk to people.

As with all things in life, its about what makes you happy, what makes you better as a person and what you need. Balance the three and you'll go far.

8 hours DnD, 8 Hours school and 8 hours sleep. :smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 07:25 PM
Your avatar is so awesome, by the way.

Thanks, I have an awesome hook-up or two in the avatarist field.

8 hours DnD, 8 Hours school and 8 hours sleep. :smallbiggrin:

Busy day...waitaminute...you have time to SLEEP?

Cadian 9th
2010-10-19, 07:29 PM
Thanks, I have an awesome hook-up or two in the avatarist field.

Busy day...waitaminute...you have time to SLEEP?

XD

actually, I've got into the habit of 3 hours of sleep per day, which is bad. 5 hours of eating seems too much...

Actually, Warhammer 4 hours, DnD 45 hours, Computer games 4 hours, Sleep+Stuff 4 hours, School 4 hours, Homework 4 hours. There. Balanced :smallbiggrin:

Amphetryon
2010-10-19, 07:35 PM
Addicted? Me? No way, I can quit any time I want to. *twitch*

It's not a habit, it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 07:36 PM
XD

actually, I've got into the habit of 3 hours of sleep per day, which is bad. 5 hours of eating seems too much...

Actually, Warhammer 4 hours, DnD 45 hours, Computer games 4 hours, Sleep+Stuff 4 hours, School 4 hours, Homework 4 hours. There. Balanced :smallbiggrin:
Much better.

Addicted? Me? No way, I can quit any time I want to. *twitch*

It's not a habit, it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side
It's ok, man. I'll talk you down...:smalltongue:

Amphetryon
2010-10-19, 07:39 PM
It's ok, man. I'll talk you down...:smalltongue:
The dice, man! I gotta have the dice! :smalleek:

dsmiles
2010-10-19, 07:42 PM

It's ok. You don't need the dice. We're all here for you. See? Look at all these people here. They don't need the dice anymore...

Zaydos
2010-10-19, 07:43 PM
It's ok. You don't need the dice. We're all here for you. See? Look at all these people here. They don't need the dice anymore...

Yep, that's what the internet is for. It can roll the dice for you.

Cadian 9th
2010-10-19, 07:51 PM

Here's Warhammer. In 2 hours, playing imperial guard, you can roll more than 1000 dice!

Amphetryon
2010-10-19, 07:53 PM
Here's Warhammer. In 2 hours, playing imperial guard, you can roll more than 1000 dice!

I miss WHRPG.

Urpriest
2010-10-19, 07:56 PM
I've seen an interesting sociological speculation that D&D shares more in common with religions than with games. This sounds like typical kooky Jack Chick blather, but hear me out:

Most games separate one group of people into two: the winners and the losers. D&D, by contrast, takes disparate people with their own goals and ideas and forges them into a cooperative endeavor in with ritualized shared behavior. There's an enormous closeness to D&D groups, caused by the massive number of shared experiences they have. A lot of oxytocin gets built up. So while some people go to religious groups in order to feel connected to "something bigger" or to be connected more deeply to a community than most people are to their circle of friends, D&D has much the same effect.

I just wish I could find a D&D group here as easily as my religious friends have found churches.

Noodles2375
2010-10-19, 09:37 PM
I just wish I could find a D&D group here as easily as my religious friends have found churches.

Well said Urpriest :smallsmile:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-19, 09:41 PM
Am I the only one who sees the irony on Urpriest's statement? (hint: it has to do more with the username than the religious stuff)

big teej
2010-10-19, 09:43 PM

D&D Gesalt (PAUSED)

and many others.

preach it brother!:smallcool:

but.... I LIKE the dice.......:smallfrown:

I've seen an interesting sociological speculation that D&D shares more in common with religions than with games. This sounds like typical kooky Jack Chick blather, but hear me out:

Most games separate one group of people into two: the winners and the losers. D&D, by contrast, takes disparate people with their own goals and ideas and forges them into a cooperative endeavor in with ritualized shared behavior. There's an enormous closeness to D&D groups, caused by the massive number of shared experiences they have. A lot of oxytocin gets built up. So while some people go to religious groups in order to feel connected to "something bigger" or to be connected more deeply to a community than most people are to their circle of friends, D&D has much the same effect.

do you mind if I quote this next time starts taking issue with dnd?

second, where is 'here'?

Tvtyrant
2010-10-19, 09:43 PM
Am I the only one who sees the irony on Urpriest's statement? (hint: it has to do more with the username than the religious stuff)

The fact that Ur-priests are atheists?

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-10-19, 09:44 PM

You know, you have a point. Also, is it a bad sign that I am considering spending money on a Kindle, not because I particularly want to start using e-books (don't get me wrong, I love reading, I just typically prefer physical books), but because I want to be able to carry my library of D&D books with me without having to lug my entire laptop around? (My entire D&D library is in PDF format, including the books that I have hard copies of.)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-19, 09:47 PM
The fact that Ur-priests are atheists?

Well AFAIK they are more god-hater's than atheist, but yeah...also I know I should have included a :smalltongue: in that post...it was suposed to be humorous. :smallsigh: I guess I as bad comedian on the internet as IRL

Noodles2375
2010-10-19, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I think by a strict definition of atheism, the Ur-Priest doesn't qualify since he clearly believes in the gods, he just don't believe that the gods, in general, are worthy of praise and adoration when they can simply jack their divine powers.

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 05:07 AM

I choose to disbelieve this statement. To me organized religion = brainwashing. That would make DnD = brainwashing. I've been playing DnD for about mumblemumble years, and my brain is just as dirty as ever. :smalltongue:

EDIT: If not more. :tongue:

Kurald Galain
2010-10-20, 05:10 AM
At least somebody got it. Been to many support groups KG?

Hello, I am Kurald and I am addicted to support groups...

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 05:14 AM

Funny you should mention that, I once read an article about a support group for spouses who were ignored because of MMORPGs like Evercrack and World of Warcrack. You know where the support group met? ONLINE! Friggin' hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

pasko77
2010-10-20, 05:44 AM

Paradox!

Hello, I am Pasko and I am addicted to addictions.

Amphetryon
2010-10-20, 06:58 AM

Nice to meet you, Tyler Durden.

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 06:59 AM
Nice to meet you, Tyler Durden.

:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: On second thought...:smallfurious:
This may be in violation of Rule #1.

Godless_Paladin
2010-10-20, 07:03 AM
Nothing wrong with addiction to a good thing.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-10-20, 10:01 AM
Nothing wrong with addiction in general. Addiction is only a problem if it's a problem. If it isn't a problem, it isn't a problem.

Saintheart
2010-10-20, 11:39 AM
If you can afford all your vices ... are they still vices? :smallbiggrin:

Ormur
2010-10-20, 11:58 AM
The problem with being addicted to D&D is that it's a social game so you can't play it every time you want to, you've got to schedule sessions, which is dependant on other people with other plans (sometimes playing in other games). Unless you like PbP which I don't.

If I could play as much D&D as I liked it could become a problem, but in the meantime it's mostly the internet that takes time away from more important things.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-20, 12:00 PM
If you can afford all your vices ... are they still vices? :smallbiggrin:

Exactly.

Therefore, my thousands of dice, and complete collections of many gaming systems are not a problem. They are merely a demonstration of good taste in living room decor.

Ruinix
2010-10-20, 12:29 PM
hello I'm Guillermo and i'm addicted to RPGs in general.

__

so let me get this right. i'm addict, i'm ok with it, and while i keep my other activities of my life balanced like go to work, eat, sleep, pay the bills, get laid in time to time :p, etc etc etc, while all those things are balanced i'm ok with the rest of the muggles ?

Urpriest
2010-10-20, 03:20 PM
do you mind if I quote this next time starts taking issue with dnd?

second, where is 'here'?

No problem.

And 'here' is Long Island.

As for the Ur-Priest thing, it's a little connected actually. I'm an atheist, but I believe that religions have come up with some useful psychological tools, and it's our job to jack them and use them for our own purposes. But this is RL-talk, and thus not encouraged hereabouts.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-20, 03:29 PM
Amusing as it might be to speculate on the roleplaying as a religion aspect...particularily what a church of D&D might look like....all must worship the fuzzy dice...

I suspect the bigger truth is that they're both social activities. Therefore, you can get the same similarities from things like sporting teams and such. Any shared activity with persistance in the members, in a cooperative environment is likely to get some of the same general results, including camraderie.

While I suppose you could be addicted to social interaction, it strikes me as rare for us to describe people in that way. People are instead outgoing, sociable, etc. Being unhappy at a lack of social events and outings seems completely normal. Therefore, if roleplaying games form a big part of your social life, then yeah, they'll be important to you. Doesn't make it an addition, though.

Dr Bwaa
2010-10-20, 03:52 PM
Nothing wrong with addiction in general. Addiction is only a problem if it's a problem. If it isn't a problem, it isn't a problem.

Truer words have never been spoken.

...well, maybe once (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/the_trouble_ain-t_that_there_is_too_many_fools/215022.html).

El Dorado
2010-10-20, 03:54 PM
I'm not as addicted as I used to be. I used to purchase every supplement as soon as it was published. I'd spend hours rolling up test characters and tweaking existing ones. I'd fall asleep reading a rule book and open it back up as soon as I woke up. Worst part was going to a movie and invariably comparing it in some way to D&D. Well, I kinda still do that last one but it's more of a measure of how good the movie is. The better the movie, the longer it takes for me to make the D&D comparison.

Chess435
2010-10-20, 04:04 PM
As for the Ur-Priest thing, it's a little connected actually. I'm an atheist, but I believe that religions have come up with some useful psychological tools, and it's our job to jack them and use them for our own purposes.

Amen.

:smalltongue:

Cealocanth
2010-10-20, 04:09 PM
Is that even possible? Seriously, I get the blues if we have to even skip one week of play. :(

It's not addiction untill it starts becoming an emotional necessity. If you enjoy RPing, hanging out with friends, and having a good time, what's the problem? If it starts destroying your liver, threatening with lung cancer, or stealing your life, then it's a problem.

When you know you shouldn't be playing, and that it would end up worse if you played, and you do anyway, that's when it's addiction and it's a problem.

AslanCross
2010-10-21, 07:10 AM
I think it starts becoming a problem when it begins eating to the rest of your life.

If you start skipping work just to roleplay, then you've got a serious problem.

I do miss D&D after not playing for a while, but that usually takes months and a lot of stress.

Ruinix
2010-10-22, 12:28 PM
I think it starts becoming a problem when it begins eating to the rest of your life.

If you start skipping work just to roleplay, then you've got a serious problem.

I do miss D&D after not playing for a while, but that usually takes months and a lot of stress.

for me the stress come with the lack of play. when my group skip a game because RL issues say work, uni. tests, GF issues, or what ever.

as we play once every 2 weeks when we skip 1 session it can pass 1 month without play, and for me each session is much like a tension discharger :p is much like a support group hahaha