PDA

View Full Version : any good Spell Thief build? [3.5]

Geohound13
2010-10-19, 05:52 PM
I want to paly a spell thief but i can never seem to make them any good. Do you have any builds that would make them great to play in low level settings?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-19, 06:43 PM
I think Fax have a spellthied guide, might be worth looking for it

Greenish
2010-10-19, 07:00 PM
I think Fax have a spellthied guide, might be worth looking for itClick the smiling face:
:smallconfused::smallannoyed::smallsmile: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44299):smallfrown::smallyuk::smal leek::smallfurious:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-19, 07:17 PM
Click the smiling face:
:smallconfused::smallannoyed::smallsmile: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44299):smallfrown::smallyuk::smal leek::smallfurious:
errr why?:smallconfused:

Psyren
2010-10-19, 07:18 PM

Try it, it'll be fun. Also he linked Fax Celestis's thread behind it

Tag fail!

Logalmier
2010-10-19, 07:19 PM

Click it and find out! :smallwink:

(It's the link to the guide.)

Arghh, Swordsage'd.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-19, 07:20 PM
Oh I know one smiley links to Fax's guide, I meant why all that for what I assume it's a prank.

Greenish
2010-10-19, 07:22 PM
Oh I know one smiley links to Fax's guide, I meant why all that for what I assume it's a prank.Because a normal link (thisisaboringlink) is boring. :smallamused:

Psyren
2010-10-19, 07:23 PM
Oh I know one smiley links to Fax's guide, I meant why all that for what I assume it's a prank.

Because just posting links is boring.

Or is it? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hYzpGWFPLo)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-19, 08:09 PM
Because just posting links is boring.

Or is it? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hYzpGWFPLo)

Sir.... I have to congratulate you, this is the first time I have been successfully Rick'Rolled...

My name is Dusk Eclipse, you Rick'rolled me. Prepare to die.

Now to avoid getting this thread even more de-railed, I think a really good, if not completely Spellthief centic build is:

Spellthief 1/Sorc 4*/Unseen Seer (CMag)10/ Arcane trickster(Spellwarp Sniper[CSco])5

*or 5 I don't remember if you can met US pre-reqs by level 6 or 7

Zaq
2010-10-19, 11:11 PM
Be really, really careful with Master Spellthief. It does a lot less than it looks like it does. Remember that the number of levels of spells you can HOLD (and thus cast after stealing) is based on your spellthief level, and Master Spellthief doesn't change that.

No one's explicitly mentioned MS yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Psyren
2010-10-19, 11:45 PM

:smallbiggrin:

Be really, really careful with Master Spellthief. It does a lot less than it looks like it does. Remember that the number of levels of spells you can HOLD (and thus cast after stealing) is based on your spellthief level, and Master Spellthief doesn't change that.

I think that's too narrow a reading. The ability to cast the stolen spell is part of the stealing ability itself, not separate. The feat makes your levels stack for the purpose of the entire ability (which is called Spell Steal.) And even if you rule that he can't, he can still use the spell energy to cast one of his own spells instead.

Tvtyrant
2010-10-20, 12:12 AM
So you can cast a spell using a slot you just stole other then the spell you stole with the slot?

Road_Runner
2010-10-20, 12:35 AM

Yes! +1

This is why I prefer going pure Spellthief, but if you're going to multiclass it really can't be Spellthief 1/Whatevah if you actually want to like, you know, steal some spells.

Psyren
2010-10-20, 02:22 AM
Yes! +1

This is why I prefer going pure Spellthief, but if you're going to multiclass it really can't be Spellthief 1/Whatevah if you actually want to like, you know, steal some spells.

Except the feat says you can do that.

It's a ridiculous reading anyway. There's no point to MS if the caster level stacking only applies to the first half of the ability. What do you do, steal the spell and admire it?

Keld Denar
2010-10-20, 02:27 AM
What do you do, steal the spell and admire it?

Immolate it at the holy alter of Arcane Strike while dancing around nekkid and chanting!

Wings of Peace
2010-10-20, 04:07 AM
I just wanted to point out that Immoth Ice Runes are a Spell-Like Ability, that is all. :smallsmile:

Zaq
2010-10-20, 04:12 AM
The feat explicitly mentions "what level of spell you can steal." If it just mentioned your Steal Spell ability as a whole, that would be one thing, but it only mentions part of it. Only spellthief levels increase how many levels of spells you can hold once you steal them. So, you can use Master Spellthief to make sure that your enemies can't use their spells, but if you want to turn any but the lowest levels back on them, well, Master Spellthief won't help.

true_shinken
2010-10-20, 09:26 AM
The feat explicitly mentions "what level of spell you can steal." If it just mentioned your Steal Spell ability as a whole, that would be one thing, but it only mentions part of it. Only spellthief levels increase how many levels of spells you can hold once you steal them. So, you can use Master Spellthief to make sure that your enemies can't use their spells, but if you want to turn any but the lowest levels back on them, well, Master Spellthief won't help.

Or you could use Arcane Strike.
Master Spellthief is the bee's knees. It's that special something that makes you uncomfortably awesome.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-20, 09:32 AM
Immolate it at the holy alter of Arcane Strike while dancing around nekkid and chanting!

Hear this eldritch abomination's man's advice, Arcane strike is made of so much win!

Person_Man
2010-10-20, 12:10 PM
Take Obtain Familiar Feat, plus Improved Familiar and/or Celestial Familiar and/or Darkness Familiar and/or Dragon Familiar and/or Stitched Flesh
Familiar to improve it. Your Familiar will be your most important resource for a lot of reasons. Specifically:

Share Spells: Hugely important. When you cast a buff, it effects both of you. Learn how to abuse Alter Self, Polymorph, etc.
Ride it as a mount, drastically increasing your mobility.
Once you're in the thick of combat and confident that you won't have to retreat, dismount and use your Familiar as a flanking buddy. (There's are Skill Tricks related to this in Complete Scoundrel, IIRC).
If it has them, you can Steal your Familiar's Spell Resistance, Energy Resistance, and Spell-Like Abilities. Since your Familiar has Improved Evasion and tends not to be directly targeted by enemies, it doesn't need them as badly as you do.
Your Familiar can hold the charge of any touch spell for you. Although you can't cast again until it's discharged, this allows it to act as a "battery" for spells (including stolen spells). Since your Familiar can act on it's own during your turn, this essentially allows you to cast a spell without using any of your action on the first round of combat.

I would also suggest playing a Small, Tiny, or Fine size race for the bonus To-Hit, AC, Dex, and Hide. Arcane Strike feat is also a must. But most importantly, you need to party with other spellcasters and spell-like ability users (Warlock, Dragonfire Adept). Your power level is directly dependent on their power level, and how much they're willing to loan you abilities.