PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Style Feat] Defender's Gambit

Fax Celestis
2010-10-19, 06:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/d20v1.png
This is part of the d20 Rebirth project, a collection of rewrites and revamps aimed at extending the lifespan of 3.5e D&D and balancing core mechanics to provide a more functional, more fun, and more intuitive game.

Other items in the d20 Rebirth project can be found under the d20r tag (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/tags.php?tag=d20r), or on my wiki (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=D20_Rebirth).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/divider2.gif

Defender's Gambit [Style (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=D20r:Feats)]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/DefendersGambitTree.png

Benefit: The Defender's Gambit feat allows the following options, with enough prowess expenditure:

Stability (4 prowess): You become exceptionally stable on your feet. You gain a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground). If you already have Stability, instead improve its bonus by 2.

Guardianship (4 prowess): When an ally of yours is targeted by a melee attack (including a touch spell that must make an attack roll), you may move up to 5' into your ally's square. If you do so, move your ally 5' in any direction, as if they had taken a 5' step. The attacker must treat you as the target of the attack or effect, and makes an attack roll against you instead. You lose any dodge bonuses to your Armor Class that you may have for this attack. However, if the attack carries a saving throw, you still make that as normal.

For each two abilities granted to you by this feat, increase the range you may move by 5'.

Marked Target (4 prowess): As a swift action, you may designate an enemy within 60': as long as you stay within 60' of that enemy, they take a -3 penalty on attack rolls against targets other than you. In addition, you deal 1d6 extra damage when attacking that enemy in melee, plus an additional 1d6 per three abilities granted by this feat. You may only designate one enemy at a time: designating a new target immediately removes the old one.

Shield Ward (5 prowess): As long as you are wielding a shield, you add its shield bonus to your touch Armor Class. In addition, you may spend an immediate action to attempt to deflect an incoming ranged attack. If you do so, roll 1d20 and add your Dexterity and Constitution modifiers and your shield's armor class bonus: if you beat the attack roll of the incoming attack, you deflect the attack harmlessly.

Interposition (5 prowess): When an ally of yours is targeted by a ranged attack (including a spell that must make an attack roll), you may move up to 5', such that your new position would rest on the attacker's line of sight or line of effect upon your ally. The attacker must treat you as the target of the attack or effect, and makes an attack roll against you instead. You lose any dodge bonuses to your Armor Class that you may have for this attack. However, if the attack carries a saving throw, you still make that as normal.

For each two abilities granted to you by this feat, increase the range you may move by 5'.

Energy Warp (5 prowess): If the target of your Marked Target ability casts a spell that has a detrimental effect that does not include you, he takes a -2 penalty to his effective caster level.

Improved Shield Ward (6 prowess): When you use your shield ward ability, if you successfully deflect an attack, you may redirect it to any target within 30'. Use the original attack roll when determining if the attack hits or not.

Spell-Shield (6 prowess): When a line, burst, emanation, or cone affect includes you within it, you may alter its shape to protect your allies. You willingly forgo your normal saving throw (if any) and your spell resistance (if any). You take the affect's full effects, but are treated as a wall or other obstructive object for the purposes of determining the spell's area. You create a cone originating in your square and directed immediately away from the origin of the triggering effect. Creatures in this area are not affected by the triggering effect. The size of this cone is determined by the number of abilities you are granted by this feat: the cone begins at 15' and increases by 5' per ability granted. You must be wielding a shield to use this ability.

Aura Suppression (6 prowess): If the target of your Marked Target ability has an aura ability (such as a warlord's aura of leadership), he halves that aura's area.

Improved Guardianship (6 prowess): When you use your Guardianship or Interposition abilities, you may teleport the distance instead of moving the distance.

Shattered Defenses (6 prowess): If the target of your Marked Target ability has Damage Reduction, halve the amount of damage it reduces. If the target of your Marked Target ability has Fast Healing or Regeneration, halve the amount of Hit Points it regains each round. If the target of your Marked Target ability has Spell Resistance, reduce the amount of Spell Resistance it has by 5.

Merk
2010-10-19, 06:48 PM
Do you have to invest prowess in each option separately, or does 4 prowess give you stability and guardianship and marked target?

Fax Celestis
2010-10-19, 06:48 PM
Each ability has to be purchased individually. The maximum prowess cap for a style feat is your BAB*6.

Lunix Vandal
2010-10-19, 11:05 PM
Brave Fencer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120658)'s thread indicates that Style abilities are (generally) usable 1/Encounter. The wording of Marked Target suggests that it can be used more often than that -- begging the question, how often? Can Improved Guardianship be used with both Guardianship and Interposition in the same encounter?

The current wording of Stability, Shield Ward, Energy Warp, Aura Suppression, and Shattered Defenses suggest that they are always-on abilities, rather than 1/Encounter time-limited abilities. Assuming this was the intent, you may want to explicitly mention that in their description, to avoid possible confusion. (Common Sense Isn't.)

Fax Celestis
2010-10-19, 11:11 PM
Brave Fencer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120658)'s thread indicates that Style abilities are (generally) usable 1/Encounter. The wording of Marked Target suggests that it can be used more often than that -- begging the question, how often? Can Improved Guardianship be used with both Guardianship and Interposition in the same encounter?

The current wording of Stability, Shield Ward, Energy Warp, Aura Suppression, and Shattered Defenses suggest that they are always-on abilities, rather than 1/Encounter time-limited abilities. Assuming this was the intent, you may want to explicitly mention that in their description, to avoid possible confusion. (Common Sense Isn't.)Brave Fencer uses old text. Style feats are usable at-will unless otherwise stated (like Berserk Sandworm's 1/day limit on Bloodworm's Corruption).

Violet Octopus
2010-10-20, 12:18 AM
Does Improved Shield Ward use the original attack roll or the [1d20 + Dex + Con + shield AC bonus] roll?

Improved Guardianship's teleportation is extraordinary or supernatural?

It's possible to get Shattered Defenses without Marked Target. Obviously it wouldn't do anything, but it's a bit strange.

Spell Shield does exactly what I've wanted shieldbearers to do. Shield Ward is great too, though does it work on ranged touch attacks/spells?

If there's a reason why Interposition says "When using this ability, you cannot willingly accept an attack", but Guardianship does not, I don't follow it.

Normally I wouldn't care about such shenanigans, but since you mentioned you want to close up loopholes like the commoner rapid transit system/railgun, it's odd that there's no cap on Guardianship and Interposition. Perhaps a limit equal to twice your movement speed, minus however much you moved in your last turn?

Overall this is my favourite of the [Style] feats thus far, and the one that's really sold the concept.

Fax Celestis
2010-10-20, 08:24 AM
Does Improved Shield Ward use the original attack roll or the [1d20 + Dex + Con + shield AC bonus] roll?Original attack roll. I'll clarify.

Improved Guardianship's teleportation is extraordinary or supernatural?EX.

It's possible to get Shattered Defenses without Marked Target. Obviously it wouldn't do anything, but it's a bit strange. No it's not. You need Marked Target to get Energy Warp, which you need to get Spell Shield, which you need to get Improved Guardianship, which you need to get Shattered Defenses.

Spell Shield does exactly what I've wanted shieldbearers to do. Shield Ward is great too, though does it work on ranged touch attacks/spells?They're ranged touch attacks, so yes.

If there's a reason why Interposition says "When using this ability, you cannot willingly accept an attack", but Guardianship does not, I don't follow it.I dunno. I'l fix that.

Normally I wouldn't care about such shenanigans, but since you mentioned you want to close up loopholes like the commoner rapid transit system/railgun, it's odd that there's no cap on Guardianship and Interposition. Perhaps a limit equal to twice your movement speed, minus however much you moved in your last turn?Since they consume immediate actions, they're limited in range anyway.

Overall this is my favourite of the [Style] feats thus far, and the one that's really sold the concept.Thanks.

Fax Celestis
2010-10-20, 09:42 AM
Updated Interposition, Guardianship, and Improved Shield Ward text.

Daracaex
2010-10-20, 12:04 PM
No it's not. You need Marked Target to get Energy Warp, which you need to get Spell Shield, which you need to get Improved Guardianship, which you need to get Shattered Defenses.

I dunno if I'm looking at it wrong, but the arrows on your diagram make a path like so:

Stability->Shield Ward->Spell Shield->Improved Guardianship->Shattered Defenses

Meaning you can get to Shattered Defenses without Marked Target.

…Unless I'm missing a rule or something.

Lunix Vandal
2010-10-20, 12:18 PM
For Style trees, you must have all of an ability's prereqs (arrows leading into a box on the diagram) before you can start purchasing it. For Shattered Defense, this means you need both Improved Guardianship and Aura Suppression. Improved Guardianship needs Spell Shield. Both Aura Suppression and Spell Shield require Energy Warp, which in turn requires Marked Target.

Stated another way, the arrows don't show a "path" you can take through the feat's abilities, they show the dependency relationships between those abilities.

Fax Celestis
2010-10-20, 12:20 PM
For Style trees, you must have all of an ability's prereqs (arrows leading into a box on the diagram) before you can start purchasing it. For Shattered Defense, this means you need both Improved Guardianship and Aura Suppression. Improved Guardianship needs Spell Shield. Both Aura Suppression and Spell Shield require Energy Warp, which in turn requires Marked Target.

Stated another way, the arrows don't show a "path" you can take through the feat's abilities, they show the dependency relationships between those abilities.

Exactly. :smallbiggrin:

Violet Octopus
2010-10-20, 11:55 PM
EX.
Interesting. While it could be fluffed either way, is this a "your magic is so innate not even an AMF can stop it" Ex ability or a "you are so ridiculously good at being where you need to be that the only way represent this mechanically is teleportation" Ex ability?

No it's not. You need Marked Target to get Energy Warp, which you need to get Spell Shield, which you need to get Improved Guardianship, which you need to get Shattered Defenses.
OK. I was also confused about how Style trees worked.

Since they consume immediate actions, they're limited in range anyway.
Shield Ward and Marked Target list actions, the others currently do not.

Fax Celestis
2010-10-21, 10:59 AM
Interesting. While it could be fluffed either way, is this a "your magic is so innate not even an AMF can stop it" Ex ability or a "you are so ridiculously good at being where you need to be that the only way represent this mechanically is teleportation" Ex ability?The latter, really.

Shield Ward and Marked Target list actions, the others currently do not.

Huh. I could've sworn I had "as an immediate action" in there. I'll add it.