PDA

View Full Version : Did I do this right?

zyborg
2010-10-19, 07:24 PM
I recently made a level 1 Mind Flayer using the homebrew variation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7947714&postcount=13) and wanted to know if I did it correctly. My character is here.... http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=247647

Is this correct?

Shadowleaf
2010-10-19, 07:27 PM
No.

First of all: You have to choose a race. Mind Flayer is added after, apparently.
You still get the penalties for the race (but not the bonuses), so I advise choosing Human, since they have no penalties.

Edit: You get your Int bonus to Natural Armor.

Edit: You haven't chosen a first level feat.

Urpriest
2010-10-19, 08:05 PM
You also still need to calculate your attack bonus with your tentacles.

zyborg
2010-10-19, 09:01 PM
Okay, I understand some of it... but... first level feat? I get to choose another feat? ANd what would my tentacle attack bonus be?

Mystic Muse
2010-10-19, 09:22 PM
You don't choose a race, Mind flayer takes the place of your race choice. You don't get any ability bonuses or penalties that aren't in the class thoughl

HunterOfJello
2010-10-19, 09:40 PM
Why would anyone get to choose a race that isn't human when making an Illithid anyway? According to the Fiend Folio, all non-humans used for ceremorphosis become Half-Illithid.

The homebrew creator starts off all of his monster classes with, "A ______ loses all other racial bonuses..." implying that you don't choose a race like Elf and then become a Medusa, Minotaur or Choker.

zyborg
2010-10-19, 09:46 PM
I updated my sheet... how's it look?

Shadowleaf
2010-10-20, 08:07 AM
You don't choose a race, Mind flayer takes the place of your race choice. You don't get any ability bonuses or penalties that aren't in the class thoughl
Read it again. You don't get any bonuses. As it does not say anything about penalties, one must assume you still keep them.

"At 1st level, the mind flayer loses all other racial bonus and gets aberration traits(darkvision 60 feets basicaly). "

The homebrew creator starts off all of his monster classes with, "A ______ loses all other racial bonuses..." implying that you don't choose a race like Elf and then become a Medusa, Minotaur or Choker.

Your logic is a bit flawed. If you lose a racial bonus, you have something to lose to begin with. If you have something, you must have had a race beforehand.

Okay, I understand some of it... but... first level feat? I get to choose another feat? ANd what would my tentacle attack bonus be?
You might want to list feats away from class features. Also, Toughness is a terrible feat.

Your Tentacle attack bonus would be intelligence mod + Base Attack Bonus=0

You have listed your Nat Armor bonus as +2, but your Int mod is +4 - and since you get your Int Mod to your Nat Armor, it'd be +4. :smallwink:

zyborg
2010-10-20, 10:33 AM
Thanks. I think I almost have it...

Mystic Muse
2010-10-20, 11:16 AM
Read it again. You don't get any bonuses. As it does not say anything about penalties, one must assume you still keep them. I'm aware. However, I've been in the thread a long time. Regardless of the poor wording, you don't get penalties either. One of the main points is to make the monsters playable without constraining them to a specific role.

Your logic is a bit flawed. If you lose a racial bonus, you have something to lose to begin with. If you have something, you must have had a race beforehand.
Mindflayer is your race. The only thing you get from it though is abberration traits. At least at first level. Ask in the thread itself. They'll tell you the same thing.

Zeofar
2010-10-20, 11:35 AM
First of all: You have to choose a race. Mind Flayer is added after, apparently.
You still get the penalties for the race (but not the bonuses), so I advise choosing Human, since they have no penalties.

Ugh... The whole point is that you choose a monstrous race and taking this class removes the giant bonuses and abilities in return for getting no LA or RHD. You aren't a human first, whatever you may think. And no, you don't get penalties either; you're basically wiped clean. Don't try to confuse this guy by putting him on the fools errand of "choosing" a race for his racial class, besides, all racial qualities are removed, which makes this irrelevant. If you really think that he needs to choose a race, just assume that he chose a human.

Although, I do find it a bit hilarious that under such a thought process you need to be a human before you can be a Dragonne, Unicorn, or Arrow Demon.

Edit: On topic, back to Zyborg.

1. You should have a +9 bonus to both Intimidate and Bluff, per the ability Battle of the Minds, which adds your Int modifier to those checks.

2. On Mythweavers, if I recall correctly, class skills are denoted by not having a check next to the skill, while you seem to mostly be doing it the other way around; this is indeed counter-intuitive and poorly designed, but there you go. In terms of tracking class skills, this is immaterial, but it screws up your skill point count, in case you care.

zyborg
2010-10-20, 12:21 PM
Ugh... The whole point is that you choose a monstrous race and taking this class removes the giant bonuses and abilities in return for getting no LA or RHD. You aren't a human first, whatever you may think. And no, you don't get penalties either; you're basically wiped clean. Don't try to confuse this guy by putting him on the fools errand of "choosing" a race for his racial class, besides, all racial qualities are removed, which makes this irrelevant. If you really think that he needs to choose a race, just assume that he chose a human.

Although, I do find it a bit hilarious that under such a thought process you need to be a human before you can be a Dragonne, Unicorn, or Arrow Demon.

Edit: On topic, back to Zyborg.

1. You should have a +9 bonus to both Intimidate and Bluff, per the ability Battle of the Minds, which adds your Int modifier to those checks.

2. On Mythweavers, if I recall correctly, class skills are denoted by not having a check next to the skill, while you seem to mostly be doing it the other way around; this is indeed counter-intuitive and poorly designed, but there you go. In terms of tracking class skills, this is immaterial, but it screws up your skill point count, in case you care.

Woah, totally missed that. Thanks.