School: Evocation
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell creates a massive flood of energy in the target creature. The caster can choose any energy descriptor type to make up this flood of energy. This flood of energy overrides any other energy type that the target creature has or uses.

Any spell, ability, power (but not magical item discharges) that the targeted creature uses is flooded over with the energy type chosen by the caster. For example: A wizard casting a fireball while under the effects of an cold energy cascade would have the spell effect be over ridden to cold damage.

If the creature effected has an energy subtype, the energy cascade over flows this too. For example:An Azer effected by an cold energy cascade, would have it's subtype of Fire overridden to Cold.

The effect of this spell is quite painful, wracking the target creatures body with pain as the energy floods over them. This has the effects of a continuous confusion-like effect(as per the spell).

This state persists until the magic is removed. Only a Wish or Miracle spell can end the effects of an energy cascade.

Material Component-A bit of the energy type

monkman
2010-10-19, 08:10 PM
How much damage? For how many turns? What are the negatives or effect? why would someone use this spell?

bloodtide
2010-10-19, 09:56 PM
Q:How much damage?

A:This spell does not inflict Hit Point damage(unless you attack yourself while confused)

Q:For how many turns?

A:The spell effect lasts until removed by a wish or miracle.

Q:What are the negatives or effect?

A:All energy you use becomes that of a single type. This can be good or bad.

Q:why would someone use this spell?

A:It's a great debuff to cast on an enemy

The Mentalist
2010-10-19, 10:20 PM
So a ninth level Bestow Curse?

It has a M in components, what is it? Is that component expensive?

The permanent confusion is nice but why would I need it? I'll just kill them with my 9th level slot. (This will be the basis of my argument, 9th level needs to compare to at least (AT LEAST) Meteor Swarm (which is weak 9) and this doesn't. It's a single target Fort Save, SR: Yes SoL.

It says fort save (see text) what am I seeing in the text?

The energy transformation is very situational. The confusion (non-mind affecting confusion) is somewhat nice. The only time I can see the energy bit being useful is when you've all got fire immunity or something.

bloodtide
2010-10-19, 11:28 PM
It's a version of Mindrape(from the BoVD).

From the idea that Evocation needs more powerful, but non damaging spells.

Material component was just going to be a bit of the energy type..

I can see lots of used to forcing an energy type on someone:

1.If you pick an energy that your immune too, they can no longer hurt you with energy attacks.
2.If you have an energy that you have buffed up, you can make them vulnerable to it.
3.It's an energy de-buffer, as they loose any energy based combos.

You say the spell is too weak as it allows a save and SR? And only effects one creature?

The Mentalist
2010-10-19, 11:44 PM
It's a version of Mindrape(from the BoVD).

How is that? Mindrape is one of the most useful/broken ninths in the game. It has the wonderful versatility aspect too. This doesn't really. It shuts down one specific type of enemy under a specific circumstance (again other than the confusion which is the star of this show)

From the idea that Evocation needs more powerful, but non damaging spells.

Yes it does.

1.If you pick an energy that your immune too, they can no longer hurt you with energy attacks.
2.If you have an energy that you have buffed up, you can make them vulnerable to it.
3.It's an energy de-buffer, as they loose any energy based combos.

1. Yes, I mentioned that. This is 17th level though, I don't think there's a such thing as a single threat monster at this level. You fight a dragon and it can't breath on you it will claw your face off. You fight a demon, it can't cast fire at you, it claws your face off. You fight a sorcerer it can't cast fire at you, it polymorphs and claws your face off!

2. Only if they already have a subtype.

3. Um... what? energy based combos? The only energy spells I know of all do direct damage. The orb spells have side effects but changing the energy doesn't change that. The only other thing I can think of is searing spell which ignores immunity.

You say the spell is too weak as it allows a save and SR? And only effects one creature?

Yes. That is exactly what I'm saying. All of those things remove too much effectiveness. There are too many counters. I would just slap a reach spell on Bestow Curse and get the same effect for a 5th level slot. This spell is not deserving of a 9th level slot. There are 6th and 7th level spells with more use and utility than this in my mind.

I do really like the idea of the spell, I would use it as a "mad wizard experiment" spell if it weren't for the confusion. Electric eels that use sonic or freeze the water come to mind.

Violet Octopus
2010-10-20, 01:03 AM
I also like the spell's idea, but it is much too high a level.

So, against enemies, this spell has roughly three uses, depending on the situation:
* confusion
* forcing the enemy to use a particular energy type, presumably one you/the party already have resistance to. A wizard could cast mass resist energy, a 4th level spell, in combat for a similar end result, with the advantage that they don't need to overcome an enemy's save or SR, and the disadvantage that if the enemy is a caster rather than a creature with a breath weapon or similar, they could switch energy types.
* possibly changes the enemy's subtype to something you're better at destroying.

Looking at the Spell Compendium for very loosely similar offence/defence negating spells, there's:
* Suppress Breath Weapon at 3rd level (close range, mind affecting, no spell resistance)
* Assay Spell Resistance at 4th level (lowers spell resistance)
* Vulnerability at 5th level (reduces damage reduction)

So, apart from the "only miracle or wish can remove this" clause, what this spell can do (confusion + situational elemental debuff) is roughly level 5 at most.

To make it a bit less situational, it could grant an elemental subtype on someone (instead of just changing it if they already have one).

I agree that if it weren't for the confusion it'd be a handy spell to use on a pet. Having the confusion be optional would be nice.

bloodtide
2010-10-20, 02:00 PM
The idea was for an attack spell.

Does anyone think that allowing someone to change the energy type they use at will is a bit too powerful? Automatic energy substitution for all your spells and effects? And energy subtypes too.

A mage will all Fire energy effects encounters a Red Dragon, casts the spell, and now all his fire spells do cold damage. Too powerful?