PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Chaos Monk

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-10-20, 01:19 AM
So I have been working on a shifter Chaos monk for a little while trying to flesh it out and make it awesome. Thematically he is going to be a werelion for an upcoming Halloween special me and some buddies are working on. That being said this is what I got. He has the Razorclaw as well as the longtooth shifter traits...thanks to the feat extra shifter trait. He also has shifter multi-attack. My question is this. How would a full attack action be for this character. Say if I had 4 unarmed strikes in one round. Would I also get two claws and a bite?

Also on another note one of my PrC's for this class is weretouched master. And I am a bit confused on the capstone ability of this class. In the pre-errata it states that you shape into either your animal of choice (mine is tiger I am just calling it lion for flavor) or a bipedal variant as if using the polymorph spell but without healing any hit points....so what exactly would you get other than the listed bonuses on the chart to str/dex/con. Like would you become large size. Or would you get special attacks of the base creature. And then if anyone would like to explain the errata and how it is different from that please do so.

HunterOfJello
2010-10-20, 01:27 AM
Shifter claws and fangs are natural weapons. Also, natural weapons aren't unarmed attacks.

If you use Flailing Strike then you would get your normal unarmed attacks as part of the Full Round Attack and nothing else.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-10-20, 01:38 AM
Shifter claws and fangs are natural weapons. Also, natural weapons aren't unarmed attacks.

If you use Flailing Strike then you would get your normal unarmed attacks as part of the Full Round Attack and nothing else.

Yes I realize they are natural weapons and that means it isn't an unarmed strike. I was wondering how it worked as per the rules. What if I did not use flailing strike and just took a full round action using my BAB and perhaps some two weapon fighting stuff? Then would I gain the two claws and a bite on top of that?

And I am still confused as to the capstone ability for weretouched master.

HunterOfJello
2010-10-20, 01:45 AM
Here's the section on Natural Attacks from the SRD:

Natural Weapons

Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature. A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Likewise, it threatens any space it can reach. Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons. The number of attacks a creature can make with its natural weapons depends on the type of the attack—generally, a creature can make one bite attack, one attack per claw or tentacle, one gore attack, one sting attack, or one slam attack (although Large creatures with arms or arm-like limbs can make a slam attack with each arm). Refer to the individual monster descriptions.

Unless otherwise noted, a natural weapon threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 20.

When a creature has more than one natural weapon, one of them (or sometimes a pair or set of them) is the primary weapon. All the creature’s remaining natural weapons are secondary.

The primary weapon is given in the creature’s Attack entry, and the primary weapon or weapons is given first in the creature’s Full Attack entry. A creature’s primary natural weapon is its most effective natural attack, usually by virtue of the creature’s physiology, training, or innate talent with the weapon. An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the creature’s full attack bonus. Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a -5 penalty on the attack roll, no matter how many there are. (Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a -2 penalty on secondary attacks.) This penalty applies even when the creature makes a single attack with the secondary weapon as part of the attack action or as an attack of opportunity.

Natural weapons have types just as other weapons do. The most common are summarized below.
Bite

The creature attacks with its mouth, dealing piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage.
Claw or Talon

The creature rips with a sharp appendage, dealing piercing and slashing damage.
Gore

The creature spears the opponent with an antler, horn, or similar appendage, dealing piercing damage.
Slap or Slam

The creature batters opponents with an appendage, dealing bludgeoning damage.
Sting

The creature stabs with a stinger, dealing piercing damage. Sting attacks usually deal damage from poison in addition to hit point damage.
Tentacle

The creature flails at opponents with a powerful tentacle, dealing bludgeoning (and sometimes slashing) damage.

That means that if you have your 2 claws and bite along with Shifter Multiattack then you can do a full attack of:

2 Claws +(highest attack) [damage] AND 1 bite +(highest attack -2) [damage]

You also don't gain extra attacks from having a high BAB.

~

All of that has nothing to do with Flailing Strike and cannot be combined with it.

If you get your DM's permission, you might be able to change the rules a bit so that Flailing Strike could be used with your natural attacks, but as per RAW, I don't think there's any way to mix them.

~

I don't know about the weretouched master. I'd check google.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-10-20, 01:56 AM
True that, I remember reading somewhere that you could use weapon attacks, in this case unarmed strike, and then still use all of your natural attacks as secondary. I couldn't remember where but I wanted to check my sources. I guess that wasn't right though so good thing I did.

G3N3R3L GHOST
2010-10-20, 12:09 PM
I am thinking since my attacks won't stack with my natural attacks for a full attack action I may drop monk completely and go unarmed swordsage into bloodclaw master with weretouched master in there as well. I still can't really find a good explaination on how the weretouched masters 5th level ability works. And now I have quite a few feats that have opened up to me. I dropped my razor claw longtooth and longtooth elite feats since I can't really use them in conjunction with an unarmed strike. What would be some other good shifter feats to consider. With the gorebrute elite feat coupled with pounce from weretouched master coupled with the wolf pack tactics stance I feel like I have some pretty good crowd control. Other than that I have 3 feats open now which I would like to keep as shifter feats so that my times per day/duation stays at 3 and 10 respectively.