PDA

View Full Version : CommunityITP

Heliomance
2010-10-20, 05:09 AM
So normally I just hang around in the d20 and gaming board, and chat about D&D. But on my infrequent forays over here, I notice that everyone seems to know each other, and be firm e-friends. Now there may be some recognised and respected names over in the gaming area, but it's really not the same. Here I see people celebrating good news with each other, commiserating, and just generally being some of the best friends you could hope for.

I want in. I may be a hopeless geek (not that there's anything wrong with that :P) but I'm sure you guys have handled worse :smallamused:
So yeah, consider this my introductory thread, despite the fact that I've been in the Playground for years. This is me getting off the bench next to the teacher and coming and saying hi.

Skeppio
2010-10-20, 05:11 AM
I've noticed we are rather friendly here. Hence the Friendly in Friendly Banter. Welcome aboard, Heliomance! Enjoy your time here, and glad to have you with us! :smallbiggrin:

Rowsen
2010-10-20, 05:13 AM
Well, there's a welcome thread here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156384) It's open to anyone regardless how long you've been here. There's also the 'Random Banter' threads, which are always abuzz with discussion. Welcome! (Despite that you've been here longer than me :smallbiggrin:)

KuReshtin
2010-10-20, 06:06 AM
Hello!

You should come to a meetup (if there's one organised near where you are).
that's always a good way to get to know your fellow Playgrounders.

and yes, most people in the Friendly Banter forum are, in fact, very friendly.

factotum
2010-10-20, 06:41 AM
and yes, most people in the Friendly Banter forum are, in fact, very friendly.

I'm not! Get off my lawn, you gosh-darned kids! :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2010-10-20, 06:51 AM
I'm not! Get off my lawn, you gosh-darned kids! :smalltongue:

I did say 'most' were friendly. You just proived my point. :smallwink:

Eldan
2010-10-20, 07:22 AM
Hey, happens to me to. I really only know my fellow PbP gamers and a few homebrewers.

of course, I can already predict who is going to show up in any a) Planescape game or similar b) epic or gestalt game or c) nation game, so...

I know those people, and have a lot of them among my Skype friends. But over here, I really don't know anyone well. The different fora are really almost separate communities.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-20, 10:07 AM
Hey, happens to me to. I really only know my fellow PbP gamers and a few homebrewers.

I started out only knowing people from Werewolf Games and from FFRP.... but it still forms a community. We started talking over MSN, then participating in different events together... People tend to bond when around each other.

The wonderful thing about the Internet is that "around each other" also applies to people who are on the other side of the world. :smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-20, 10:44 AM
I am in the same board as Heliomance...though I have recently made my forays into friendly banter much more frequent.

TFT
2010-10-20, 04:13 PM
I started out only knowing people from Werewolf Games and from FFRP.... but it still forms a community. We started talking over MSN, then participating in different events together... People tend to bond when around each other.

The wonderful thing about the Internet is that "around each other" also applies to people who are on the other side of the world. :smallbiggrin:

...Werewolf ...MSN?

I've been there(Structured Games) for about 2 years now. Why have I never heard of the MSN chats?

Bwah?

Haruki-kun
2010-10-20, 04:22 PM
...Werewolf ...MSN?

I've been there(Structured Games) for about 2 years now. Why have I never heard of the MSN chats?

Bwah?

Well... you gotta ask.

"Hey, fellow wolves/masons/people I suspect to be on my team, you guys got MSN? We can discuss our plans over it."

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-20, 04:27 PM
Not to mention the giant groupchats of SMBG peoples. Even right now, there's one going on.:smalltongue:

Mr. Moon
2010-10-20, 06:17 PM
I have to admit, I think I've been away too long, when I came back I could barely recognize anyone. So I'm sort of in the same boat, which isn't too bad, because it's a boat floating on a river of love and stuff.
Yeah.
Yes I know that's a terrible metaphor so shush.

Buuuut... it's kind of cool, coming back to a place you used to hang out at, and meet the new people there, and see how everything's different, but yet at it's core still the same.

And yes, there's always an MSN chat going. Usually. If you want in, just ask one of us. It's not like we're some secret cult. :smallbiggrin: Okay, guys, get the kool-aid ready.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-20, 06:43 PM
And yes, there's always an MSN chat going. Usually. If you want in, just ask one of us. It's not like we're some secret cult. :smallbiggrin:

We're not? :smalltongue:

Mr. Moon
2010-10-20, 06:57 PM
Shhhhhh, 'Ruki, we can't let them learn the truth so soon!

Blue Ghost
2010-10-20, 07:02 PM
Not to mention the giant groupchats of SMBG peoples. Even right now, there's one going on.:smalltongue:

What giant groupchats would those be? :smallconfused::smalleek:

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-20, 07:28 PM

I agree, I never heard of these groupchats either. What is going on that you aren't letting me in on?

I also just noticed that Blue Ghost isn't Kirby anymore. See, we all know each other!

Rae Artemi
2010-10-20, 07:31 PM

...Why is this the first I've heard of these?

Skeppio
2010-10-20, 07:43 PM

I agree, I never heard of these groupchats either. What is going on that you aren't letting me in on?

...Why is this the first I've heard of these?

Sheesh, where have you guys been? Even I'm in the group chats. :smallbiggrin:

Terumitsu
2010-10-20, 07:46 PM
Sadly, there are program limitations or else there would be a fifty-person chat going on right now.

As for the chat I'm in. The actuall chatting began around in the FFRP area of the board. Mostly cause we liked getting to know the person behind the character. Well, that and likely several other factors.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-20, 07:47 PM
First you gotta have an MSN. If you want, PM me yours and I'll add you to my contacts. =3

Edit: But yeah, Chat is getting pretty full already. Ah well, we'll see what happens.

Rae Artemi
2010-10-20, 07:48 PM
First you gotta have an MSN. If you want, PM me yours and I'll add you to my contacts. =3

Umm, I have Yahoo Messenger, which can chat with MSN, does that work?

Haruki-kun
2010-10-20, 07:48 PM
It's not an actual official thing or anything. Lots of playgrounders communicate via private means. Some people use AIM, others YIM, MSN, IRC, Facebook...

Mr. Moon
2010-10-20, 07:50 PM
Umm, I have Yahoo Messenger, which can chat with MSN, does that work?

Probably. I know of at least one person who does and he doesn't seem to have any problems.

Terumitsu
2010-10-20, 07:51 PM
It's not an actual official thing or anything. Lots of playgrounders communicate via private means. Some people use AIM, others YIM, MSN, IRC, Facebook...

...Telephone, videophone, trombone, rolling stone.. Not to mention smoke signals, letter squigles, summoning rituals, rune signs, hard times, and e-mail.

Sorry, I had to run with it..

Cristo Meyers
2010-10-20, 07:52 PM
...rune signs...

Yeah, but most of us stopped those.

Roaming charges are ridiculous.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-20, 07:56 PM
Yeah, the only really knit community/group on the forums here, I've seen like SMBG+FB is Gaming(Other) is mainly because of the loads of online games we play toghetter with voicechats like Mumble.

happyturtle
2010-10-20, 08:02 PM
I think there are separate but overlapping communities.

FFRP and WW have some overlap, and that group overlaps a bit with FB, but overall the FB community and the SMBG community aren't the same. Then there are the meetup groups and probably others that I don't know about.

Quick! Someone Venn diagram the forum communities!

Haruki-kun
2010-10-20, 08:08 PM
I think there are separate but overlapping communities.

FFRP and WW have some overlap, and that group overlaps a bit with FB, but overall the FB community and the SMBG community aren't the same. Then there are the meetup groups and probably others that I don't know about.

I'll try!

*fires up Inkscape*

Skeppio
2010-10-20, 08:13 PM
Ooh! Be sure to put a little spot in for Australasia ITP! I think we're doing pretty darn well. :smallcool:

Lady Moreta
2010-10-20, 08:15 PM

Oh, don't suggest that. I have a husband who would jump at the chance, and he already has enough crazy projects on the go :smalltongue:

edit: oh good, Haruki beat him to it :smallbiggrin:

Also, Skep, that's becasue we're awesome :smallcool:

Haruki-kun
2010-10-20, 08:56 PM
And here we go!

Happyturtle kindly uploaded it to her photobucket because mine isn't working. I'll put it in mine as soon as I can.

EDIT: I'm hosting it now.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/Haruki-san/VennDiagram-BonusPhase.png

Rae Artemi
2010-10-20, 09:04 PM
...How did I not see the Boardlings coming?

Skeppio
2010-10-20, 09:18 PM
Holy crap, Haruki-kun made personifications for the boards. You're my hero, Haru! :smallbiggrin:

Rae Artemi
2010-10-20, 09:21 PM
Holy crap, Haruki-kun made personifications for the boards. You're my hero, Haru! :smallbiggrin:

He did that months ago...

Skeppio
2010-10-20, 09:22 PM
Ah. I've never seen them before though. My statement still stands.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-20, 09:24 PM
You made personifications of each of the subforums?

Thufir
2010-10-20, 09:28 PM
And yes, there's always an MSN chat going. Usually. If you want in, just ask one of us.

Could I possibly-

It's not like we're some secret cult. :smallbiggrin:

Oh. In that case, never mind. :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2010-10-20, 09:28 PM
@CoffeeIncluded: I didn't make Homebrew, OOTS Adventure Game, Fan Comics, Finding Players, or Ongoing Games.

Erfworld was still a "main" board back then, so I made one for that one too.

This was their first appearance. (http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/Haruki-san/AngelicSlayer34-Board-Tans.png)

You can find out more by clicking the link in my sig. (There's also a couple of comics with them.)

Anyway, someone requested a Venn Diagram, so I put it together with the templates I already had. I'm guessing lots of people saw it coming. :smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2010-10-20, 09:35 PM
Heehee, that is so many levels of awesome I've lost count :smallbiggrin:

I love it. I'm very seriously considering turning it into my desktop background at work. Save the fact that it would raise many awkward questions...

Heliomance
2010-10-20, 09:42 PM
No mention of the d20 boards? Sadface.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-20, 09:49 PM
@CoffeeIncluded: I didn't make Homebrew, OOTS Adventure Game, Fan Comics, Finding Players, or Ongoing Games.

Erfworld was still a "main" board back then, so I made one for that one too.

This was their first appearance. (http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/Haruki-san/AngelicSlayer34-Board-Tans.png)

You can find out more by clicking the link in my sig. (There's also a couple of comics with them.)

Anyway, someone requested a Venn Diagram, so I put it together with the templates I already had. I'm guessing lots of people saw it coming. :smalltongue:

Still, that's great. As is the entire forum.

Eldan
2010-10-21, 04:42 AM
Well, homebrew does have a lot of overlap with the RPG boards. Most of the great brewers (Djinn in Tonic, Krimm Blackleaf, The Demented One, Vorpal Tribble, Realms of Chaos, Fax Celestis and a few others, sorry if I forgot you) are usually also active in RPG discussions. And online games, often as DMs.

Hmm. I need to make a diagramm of different subsections of players, game discussers and homebrewers

We have low-level players, epic players, exalted players(overlap to epic), freeform players, 4E players, chat game organizers, nation gamers (though I haven't seen most of them in ages. I guess they all migrated to the Total War boards when they went up and running)... probably more, but those are the main group, and there's often little overlap between them, though I know who I can meet where.

Cleverdan22
2010-10-21, 01:20 PM
Haruki, that is fantastic.

Also, I used to kinda deal with the whole "joining the community" problem. I only posted on the OotS boards for like a year, with quick forays into Webcomics and Gaming.

Then I discovered Friendly Banter, which was fantastic, though I was unsure how I would get to know everyone. I just started posting and it kind of worked out from there. I feel like a least a few members recognize me, although I've been gone for four months.

And of course there's my good parallel universe-self, Coplantor.

KenderWizard
2010-10-21, 02:52 PM
I love Venn Diagrams!
I love Community!
I love to Banter!
I love "itp"!
I love the whole forum!
And all the Playgrounders!
Boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BxymuiAxQ)!
:smile:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-21, 05:22 PM
I still don't really 'know' much of anyone on these boards, or talk to anyone in particular. Serpentine and JackMann is about it, and don't think the latter even gets on any more.

Really, I'm bad about mixing folks up, forgetting names, avatars, etc. Chatting around more than usual of late, but still I'm mainly here not to socialize but to create/play D&D.

As far as I can tell no forums yet discovered match the homebrewing depth and numbers you'll see here.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-22, 12:33 AM
Really, I'm bad about mixing folks up, forgetting names, avatars, etc.

I do that constantly. Too many people using the board avatars :smalltongue: What gets me really confused though, is people who use an avatar that's a different gender to their own. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just tend to assume gender of avatar=gender of person posting. One day I'll get it through my head that it just doesn't work that way... One day...

Right now though, I'm going to have lunch.

(Also, I love your current avatar :smallbiggrin:)

Gullara
2010-10-22, 01:56 AM
*pokes head in thread* Now how did I miss this? It's already at 2 pages.

*looks at very large venn diagram* Ooh shiny. Very nice Haruki.

Really, I'm bad about mixing folks up, forgetting names, avatars, etc. Chatting around more than usual of late, but still I'm mainly here not to socialize but to create/play D&D.

Even the regular contestants of Iron Avatarist?

I like to think I've become familiar with more of the regulars in Friendly Banter. I try to get in on most of the threads, so I see pretty much everyone around here. I've been expanding my horizons into Arts and Crafts and Gaming(Other) as well.

KenderWizard
2010-10-22, 06:02 AM
I do that constantly. Too many people using the board avatars :smalltongue: What gets me really confused though, is people who use an avatar that's a different gender to their own. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just tend to assume gender of avatar=gender of person posting. One day I'll get it through my head that it just doesn't work that way... One day...

Ooh, I do that all the time! I've started to make a big effort to glance at the gender icon, if there is one, but it strikes me as odd to check what gender someone is when I'm reading what they've said because it's not something you ever do in a real life conversation!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-22, 06:13 AM

...Uh, then what about mine? :smalltongue:

Skeppio
2010-10-22, 06:18 AM
*checks Coffee's avvy*
*Vaarsuvius*

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

But you have your gender on your profile, so I guess the problem is moot. :smalltongue:

Lady Moreta
2010-10-22, 07:00 AM
...Uh, then what about mine? :smalltongue:

That would probably just break me :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2010-10-22, 10:06 AM
That would probably just break me :smalltongue:

Eventually it would just return to a discussion about whether Vaarsuvius is male or female, and the thread would get moved back to the OOTS board, though. :smallfrown:

Om
2010-10-22, 01:13 PM
Friendly Banter usually makes me angry. So I tend to stay away

Gullara
2010-10-22, 02:51 PM
Friendly Banter usually makes me angry. So I tend to stay away

:smallconfused:Why's that?

And why are you here now then:smallamused:

Prime32
2010-10-22, 03:08 PM
:smallconfused:Why's that?

And why are you here now then:smallamused:He said "tend to".

I've heard a number of reasons, many of which can be traced to this section being a community defined only by being a community.

Gullara
2010-10-22, 07:29 PM
He said "tend to".

I've heard a number of reasons, many of which can be traced to this section being a community defined only by being a community.

I don't see why that would make a person angry though.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-22, 08:02 PM
<<
I'm one of the guilty members who use an avatar opposite my gender, but ffff I love Allen. He's a character of mine and he is awesome.

But fear not! I'm getting a new one soon!
Aren't I, RPGs? *peers at*

Lady Moreta
2010-10-22, 08:04 PM
Eventually it would just return to a discussion about whether Vaarsuvius is male or female, and the thread would get moved back to the OOTS board, though. :smallfrown:

And for that matter, in my head V has always been male, so I'd probably just assume anyone using him/her for an avatar was a guy. Except that I know CoffeeIncluded is a girl, so - yeah, again with the breaking :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-10-22, 08:13 PM
<<
I'm one of the guilty members who use an avatar opposite my gender, but ffff I love Allen. He's a character of mine and he is awesome.

But fear not! I'm getting a new one soon!
Aren't I, RPGs? *peers at*

:smallbiggrin:Working at it. Can't see why it wouldn't be dome Sunday.

Moff Chumley
2010-10-22, 08:14 PM
He said "tend to".

I don't see why that would make a person angry though.

It is if you're outside the community. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing everyone else having fun, forming this extremely intricate community, and having no clue what's going on. On paper, you're just as welcome and equal as everyone else, but in practice, it's very rare for someone who isn't in the "in-crowd" to get the same amount of attention as someone who is.

Heliomance
2010-10-22, 08:32 PM
I do that constantly. Too many people using the board avatars :smalltongue: What gets me really confused though, is people who use an avatar that's a different gender to their own. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just tend to assume gender of avatar=gender of person posting.

Hi there :D Can I get in on the breaking?

It is if you're outside the community. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing everyone else having fun, forming this extremely intricate community, and having no clue what's going on. On paper, you're just as welcome and equal as everyone else, but in practice, it's very rare for someone who isn't in the "in-crowd" to get the same amount of attention as someone who is.

Aye, that's largely why I started this thread. One of the first steps in getting involved is making sure people actually recognise your name :P

Moff Chumley
2010-10-22, 08:40 PM
Well, if many a bitter post and passive-aggressive tirade has taught me anything, there are right and wrong ways to go about getting recognized... Can't help you on the right ways, but if you want a list of the wrong ways, I got ya covered. :smalltongue:

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-22, 08:45 PM
Aye, that's largely why I started this thread. One of the first steps in getting involved is making sure people actually recognise your name :P

I recognize your name, I think. Aren't you the guy from the Gestalt Warrior Arena who made that guy that gets 92 str on a lvl 15 gestalt?

Lady Moreta
2010-10-22, 08:56 PM
Hi there :D Can I get in on the breaking?

Not really... you don't have a gender symbol up, and I can't tell if your avatar is meant to be male or female :smalltongue:

Heliomance
2010-10-22, 09:06 PM
I recognize your name, I think. Aren't you the guy from the Gestalt Warrior Arena who made that guy that gets 92 str on a lvl 15 gestalt?
*blink*
I ARE FAMOUS!

Not really... you don't have a gender symbol up, and I can't tell if your avatar is meant to be male or female :smalltongue:

Precisely :P

Dallas-Dakota
2010-10-22, 09:09 PM

Yup, but here, making responses, thought over posts or ones that are just really funny. For quite some time. And tada, you're suddenly part of the community.

In truth, you'l think you won't be recognised, but as you saw by Ranger Mattos' post, you are!

Heck, when people started shouting that I was well known around here I didn't believe them for months.:smalltongue:

Just do what I did, post, a lot. And even when I post in RB, I'm ignored a lot of the time. Mainly why I don't post there anymore,I just don't have anything usefull to say. Post in your thing and you'l find your way. Just don't post to make new friends, post if you have something to say. :smallsmile:

And in this thread's case it's a bit of both, I guess. It's a interesting topic.:smallsmile:

Lady Moreta
2010-10-22, 09:09 PM
Precisely :P

Oh. Oh... That's what you meant...

Okay now I'm broken! Well done :smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-22, 11:56 PM
Though I've been here for years, my symbol has always been male, I wear manly shades, have talked off and on about women problems and you don't see me in LGBT... I still have folks thinking I'm a gal.

Have I ever shown the slightest effeminate side (obvious sarcasm/irony/satire not withstanding)? I mean, c'mon!

Edit: Statting the Eunuchorn doesn't count either

Mr. Moon
2010-10-23, 12:19 AM
:smallbiggrin:Working at it. Can't see why it wouldn't be dome Sunday.

Dome Sundays are the best kind of Sundays! =D

Lady Moreta
2010-10-23, 01:23 AM
Though I've been here for years, my symbol has always been male, I wear manly shades, have talked off and on about women problems and you don't see me in LGBT... I still have folks thinking I'm a gal.

I can't imagine why. You give off definite 'guy-vibes' in your style of writing/talking...

I just had a Dome Saturday, does that count? :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Moon
2010-10-23, 01:44 AM
D= And you didn't invite me?
Oh Moreta, I'm so hurt. v.v

Coidzor
2010-10-23, 01:50 AM
I often shudder to contemplate what, if anything, people would remember me for around here.

I seem to mostly cause minor bad mental images, I think....:smallconfused:

Great, now you've got me dwelling on it. x,x This is gonna bug me for awhile.

Generally though we seem to be fairly positive and optimistic about our fellow forumites around these parts and generally quite genial and even cordial.

Wait, what? That... sounds wrong somehow...

Lady Moreta
2010-10-23, 02:22 AM
D= And you didn't invite me?
Oh Moreta, I'm so hurt. v.v

Next time you're in Perth, WA, let me know and I'll invite you along :smallbiggrin: you too can play with the baby. I love being an honorary aunty :smallbiggrin:

Skeppio
2010-10-23, 02:23 AM
Very nice, Moreta. :smallbiggrin: I'll have to pay you a visit if I'm ever in WA.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-23, 02:31 AM
Very nice, Moreta. :smallbiggrin: I'll have to pay you a visit if I'm ever in WA.

Yeah yeah... everyone wants to play with baby. I feel so loved :smalltongue:

Om
2010-10-23, 05:03 AM
It is if you're outside the community. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing everyone else having fun, forming this extremely intricate community, and having no clue what's going on. On paper, you're just as welcome and equal as everyone else, but in practice, it's very rare for someone who isn't in the "in-crowd" to get the same amount of attention as someone who is.I can see where you're coming from but for me (and I stress that this is just me) its not so much a matter of being outside the community as it is having absolutely no inclination to join. This is simply because I don't tick many of the boxes that characterise most FB denizens. This leads to inevitable divergences in opinion

I used to be a lot more active when I first signed up but after one or two notable threads, in which I couldn't even begin to comprehend the mindset of other posters, I just said that enough was enough. Don't get me wrong though, GitP is full of very nice and polite people (I particularly admire the attitudes in the LGBT threads) and the problem is entirely with me

Gullara
2010-10-23, 05:23 AM

:smalltongue:

Heck, when people started shouting that I was well known around here I didn't believe them for months.:smalltongue:

When I first joined you were always one of the people I associated with the site first when I thought about it.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-23, 10:11 AM

That used to happen to me, too. All the time. Eventually I remade my avatar so that people would see that his body is rectangular, therefore male.

EDIT: I don't have it on now, though.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-24, 10:56 PM
That used to happen to me, too. All the time. Eventually I remade my avatar so that people would see that his body is rectangular, therefore male.

Interesting then, that I never thought you were female... Because your usual avatar is so adorable, and even with the rectangular body, seems to me at least, to be kinda feminine. And yet, I never once thought you were a girl.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-24, 11:28 PM
Interesting then, that I never thought you were female... Because your usual avatar is so adorable, and even with the rectangular body, seems to me at least, to be kinda feminine. And yet, I never once thought you were a girl.

;_;

I love you so much.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-24, 11:39 PM
;_;

I love you so much.

... you're welcome?

I love you too :smallbiggrin:

Maximum Zersk
2010-10-25, 04:05 AM
It's funny, isn't it? The general friendliness of these boards. Honestly, sometimes I don't know how it happens. Maybe I'm too cynical, but quite frankly, it doesn't seem possible. Yet you guys manage to do it. I guess you could say it's because of good moderation, but is that really it? Even with good moderators, there'll always be that group of people who make everything worse. Now mind you, it does happen occasionally. But not by much. But then what is it? What is it that makes these boards one of the few good places on the internet?

Honestly, I still don't know. But for whatever little faith some have for humanity, you guys manage to help me keep mine.

God I sound pretentious. XD

Heliomance
2010-10-25, 05:49 AM
This isn't quite the politest forum I know. That award goes to the Brass Goggles forums, a steampunk community. I have honestly never seen a flame there. Half the time, people call each other Sir and Madam!

Prime32
2010-10-25, 06:39 AM
It's funny, isn't it? The general friendliness of these boards. Honestly, sometimes I don't know how it happens. Maybe I'm too cynical, but quite frankly, it doesn't seem possible. Yet you guys manage to do it. I guess you could say it's because of good moderation, but is that really it? Even with good moderators, there'll always be that group of people who make everything worse. Now mind you, it does happen occasionally. But not by much. But then what is it? What is it that makes these boards one of the few good places on the internet?

Honestly, I still don't know. But for whatever little faith some have for humanity, you guys manage to help me keep mine.

God I sound pretentious. XDHey, there are plenty of good places on the Internet. As pointed out, anywhere looks better from the inside than the outside.

GitP just happens to be large.

Quincunx
2010-10-25, 07:26 AM

TWO AVATARISTS ENTER! ONE AVATARIST LEAVES!
(rattles flail against the outside of the cage)

. . .whaddyamean ritualized combat without bloodshed? They neutered the 'Dome? Oooo, Iron Chef has so much to answer for. :smallfurious:

Lady Moreta
2010-10-25, 07:53 AM
Hey, there are plenty of good places on the Internet. As pointed out, anywhere looks better from the inside than the outside.

I think the size of this place might be part of what makes it unusal or unique in the sense that pretty much everyone gets on, and in here at least, there is a definite sense of caring for each other.

I belong to another internet forum, and have been a member there for ten years now. It is an incredibly tight-knit group, and we're all extremely good friends. Heck, it's the forum I met my husband on. But the core group is pretty small, certainly smaller than here. It's easier to be nice/polite to each other when it's a small group and you all know each other really well. To come into a group this large, and still find near-automatic acceptance is rather unusual.

Maximum Zersk
2010-10-25, 09:57 AM
Hey, there are plenty of good places on the Internet. As pointed out, anywhere looks better from the inside than the outside.

Well, I did say few, not only. :smalltongue:

Mr. Moon
2010-10-25, 11:45 AM
Next time you're in Perth, WA, let me know and I'll invite you along :smallbiggrin: you too can play with the baby. I love being an honorary aunty :smallbiggrin:

You know what? I'll do that.
Y'know. On one of my many trips to Australia.
Yeah.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-25, 11:51 AM

Have I ever shown the slightest effeminate side (obvious sarcasm/irony/satire not withstanding)? I mean, c'mon!

Edit: Statting the Eunuchorn doesn't count either

Possibly some people, started to know you during the Genderbend week?:smallconfused:

I think the name should be a hint that you are i fact, male (AFAIK the suffix kun is only used to refer to males.... might be wrong though, my knowledge on japanese is not what I would like..... of course this only applies if your name uses Japanese suffixes, and is not something else.)

Haruki-kun
2010-10-25, 11:54 AM
I think the name should be a hint that you are i fact, male (AFAIK the suffix kun is only used to refer to males.... might be wrong though, my knowledge on japanese is not what I would like..... of course this only applies if your name uses Japanese suffixes, and is not something else.)

Correct. But most people don't know this.

Prime32
2010-10-25, 11:59 AM
"-kun" is not exclusively male, though it's more common among men than women.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JapaneseHonorifics

Lady Moreta
2010-10-25, 08:47 PM
You know what? I'll do that.
Y'know. On one of my many trips to Australia.
Yeah.

Hey, I never said it was a good idea :smalltongue: