PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Knight o' the scourge and other reach weapons

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2010-10-20, 07:43 AM
I've recently read up on Person_Man's knight hand book which suddenlly whipped up my interest in the class. Fluff wise I've always liked the knight but thanks to the guide I've realised the mechanical usefulness as well.

However, pivotal to it's effectiveness is the use of a reach weapon. Sure, a lance or a glaive is a good choice, but I always look for more style and aesthetic appeal for my character and the image of a whip/scourge wielding knight is o so stylish.

However, since all my books and splat books are a continent away, I can't work out if a scourge has reach or not.

Any playgrounders got the info on the scourge or any other cool reach weapon that they'd like to share?

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 07:44 AM
Don't think a scourge does, but a whip dagger may suffice.

panaikhan
2010-10-20, 07:49 AM
Whip-dagger is classed as a missile weapon for AoO against you, and doesn't "threaten" unless you take certain feats or class abilities to change it.
It's a good weapon, apart from that - with the longest reach I know of for medium characters.

Greenish
2010-10-20, 08:32 AM
I've recently read up on Person_Man's knight hand book which suddenlly whipped up my interest in the class. Fluff wise I've always liked the knight but thanks to the guide I've realised the mechanical usefulness as well.

However, pivotal to it's effectiveness is the use of a reach weapon. Sure, a lance or a glaive is a good choice, but I always look for more style and aesthetic appeal for my character and the image of a whip/scourge wielding knight is o so stylish.

However, since all my books and splat books are a continent away, I can't work out if a scourge has reach or not.

Any playgrounders got the info on the scourge or any other cool reach weapon that they'd like to share?Refluff Spiked Chain? You needn't even change it much from the PHB description, just give it a handle.

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2010-10-20, 08:54 AM
Maybe refluffing the chain is the most sound idea. However, no matter how much mechanically better the chain is, I'm always hesitant it use it due to "blah blah AoO trip blah reach blah overpowered"... Even though that happens to be similar to the build I want to play.

The whip dagger was my second choice originally, however now that I know that it cant provoke AoO, it's out tje window.

On a related topic, are there any one handed reach weapons besides the whip or dagger whip? And is a cat o' nintails the same as a scourge?

And thanks for the replies. The character is beginning to flesh out.

Greenish
2010-10-20, 09:00 AM
On a related topic, are there any one handed reach weapons besides the whip or dagger whip?DMG alternative weapons section has Kusari-Gama. Secrets of Sarlona has Spinning Sword.
And is a cat o' nintails the same as a scourge?I'd say so.

Coidzor
2010-10-20, 09:23 AM
Dragon gave us, I believe, the meteor hammer.

Person_Man
2010-10-20, 09:24 AM
As you already know, I definitely suggest a standard reach weapon or a lance while mounted. But here are some other ideas:

Drow Scorpion Chain: Secrets of Xen'drik pg 137: Exactly the same as a normal Spiked Chain, except that if you happen to be a drow, you can take the Drow Skirmisher feat (which grants several proficiencies and minor bonuses) instead of Exotic Weapon Proficiency to get proficiency with it.
Mancatcher: Complete Warrior: Gives you a free Grapple attempt when you hit your enemy. Also, as long as your enemy can’t reach you, they can’t attack you or do anything other then attempt to move or escape from the grapple. Useful if the Knight is only fighting one enemy.
Pincer Staff: Underdark: Basically a mancatcher that deals more damage, but it's from a very obscure source.
Spinning Sword: Secrets of Sarlona, pg 136. Basically a Spiked Chain that you can only use with one hand. Useful if you want to be a sword and board build, or a TWF build.
Lucerne Hammer: Dragon 331. One of the few blunt reach weapons available. Situationally useful for fighting undead.
Awl Pike: Dragon 331. 15 feet of reach (doesn't threaten within 5-10 feet). Creates a slightly larger "donut" that enemies have to get past to attack you.
Longaxe: Comp Adventurer. A non-reach weapon that gains reach when you use Power Attack with it. There is really no reason to use this instead of a Spiked Chain, but it is interesting.

true_shinken
2010-10-20, 09:29 AM
Refluff Spiked Chain? You needn't even change it much from the PHB description, just give it a handle.

So whips require two hands to use now?

Greenish
2010-10-20, 09:31 AM
So whips require two hands to use now?I'm afraid I don't quite follow.

Leon
2010-10-20, 09:33 AM
If you want to whip it good, then yes

Coidzor
2010-10-20, 09:33 AM
I'm afraid I don't quite follow.

Was saying that giving a spiked chain a handle is basically making a chain-whip. I think.

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 09:50 AM
If you want to whip it good, then yes

When a problem comes along, you must whip it!

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2010-10-20, 11:02 AM
Wow, go ofline for an hour and *Pow* all the possible questions i could have are answered.
Thanks to all for the help, and to Person Man for the guide.