PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Ideas

Earthwalker
2010-10-20, 09:00 AM
I am about to run a pathfinder campaign based in a city. The players will be medics and will spend their time running from one medical emergency to another helping and healing people.
What I am looking for are ideas for for encounters and challenges that can be waiting for the players. They get a “call” and head to a place, what is there that needs a medic ?
I have ideas like being called to a bar brawl.
Or a river side having to pull someone out of the water.
Of course one medical emergency will be a wizard who is having serious health problems because of how dirty his laundry is and needs someone to clean his dirty laundry.
Any more interesting emgencies or encounters along the way ?

Greenish
2010-10-20, 09:23 AM
A young and impressionable sorcery student influenced by The Sorrows of Young Werth-elf has decided to end it all. You have to talk him down from the top of the Tower of Higher Magic before he jumps or the faculty gets annoyed with him.

[Edit]: Whether said student knows Feather Fall or not depends on the mood of the setting.

JRKlein
2010-10-20, 09:31 AM
The PCs are asked to resurrect a recently-deceased member of an adventuring party. The adventurers, while technically "good", are complete jerks. They're totally arrogant and they think the whole world revolves around them. (Typical player-characters, in other words. :p)

Earthwalker
2010-10-20, 09:59 AM
I like both ideas so far, I never thought of suicide but that is bound to cause some debate in the party over weather to help him or not, then good opitunities to try talk him down if they decide to do that.

I like the adventurer party idea as I will get to act like an arrogant jerk, and who doesn't like that. Will be fun to see how th players react as well.

Thanks so far.

valadil
2010-10-20, 10:01 AM
If you want to test their morals, have someone harass or attack the party. Then put them on a quest to save him when he's injured.

Try for encounters that will put the group in some level of danger. Maybe they have to enter the burning building to heal people up before they can escape. Or curing the victims of the necromancer's curse means exposing themselves to it.

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 10:14 AM
Any more interesting emgencies or encounters along the way ?

I do not recommend suicide as a focus, without careful consideration as to whether your group can handle it, but you can surely get plenty of ideas from shows like Emergency or Third Watch. Or any number of police dramas, but I think those are the most with emergency situations, others tend to have crime solving.

Or you can just look for ideas from public records.

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 10:31 AM
Perhaps a sorcerer on a major acid trip, flinging blasty spells at the invisible giant worms that are talking to him, and you have to talk him down.

akma
2010-10-20, 12:58 PM
Unstable sorrundoings, like a collapsing building, and the players have to act carefully and quickely or have a building collapsing on them.

Earthwalker
2010-10-21, 02:44 AM
If you want to test their morals, have someone harass or attack the party. Then put them on a quest to save him when he's injured.
Try for encounters that will put the group in some level of danger. Maybe they have to enter the burning building to heal people up before they can escape. Or curing the victims of the necromancer's curse means exposing themselves to it.

I think the burning building idea would be fun, add in the unstable bit from another post and maybe two victims inside for them to find, let them split or to get to both in time as they try to survive a burning building.
I also think the Necromancers curse idea is good another to add to the list.

I do not recommend suicide as a focus, without careful consideration as to whether your group can handle it, but you can surely get plenty of ideas from shows like Emergency or Third Watch. Or any number of police dramas, but I think those are the most with emergency situations, others tend to have crime solving.
Or you can just look for ideas from public records.

The group is mature enough to handle the sucide topic I think, we will be ok. Might introduce the character early and visit disasters on him. Also let the group know what he loves to help them talk him out of it, if they so choose. Will have to see what characters I get first.
Don’t have either of those programs here but I asume that Emergency is the same as our casualty. I aren’t wanting to go to much in to the medical stuff, this is Pathfinder and its all going to be handled with magic (mainly)
I am looking for fantasy ideas, like a classic bar room brawl. Some dwarf bar with a big fight going on, 30 participants and twice that number of alligences.

Perhaps a sorcerer on a major acid trip, flinging blasty spells at the invisible giant worms that are talking to him, and you have to talk him down.

This I like, the Sorcerer babbling wildly, maybe people around getting hurt. So some have to protect the people near by while others talk the Sorcerer down.

Thanks for everything so far, some good ideas.