PDA

View Full Version : RHoD - Where to go from there?

rasbadar
2010-10-20, 11:00 AM
Hi fellers,

soon, my PC group will be through with RHoD. IF they'll make it....*cackle*.

But, be it that they'll survive... Where could we go from there?

I have looked through my modules and Dungeon Mag. collection (i do NOT have the time nor the creativity to create an adventure from scratch). And I have identified some possibilities, but nothing really compelling.

I thought about City of the Spider Queen (I even have a partly finished conversion to 3.5)?

My group is more "tactically" inclined then "hardcore RPer", so, some dungeon crawling or good old hack'n'slay is welcome.

Any good ideas? I have access to much material. So, fire away!

regards
Ras

P.S.
We're playing on Faerun and the group will be 'round lvl 12-13 by the end of RHoD.

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 11:02 AM
Hi fellers,

I have looked through my modules and Dungeon Mag. collection (i do NOT have the time nor the creativity to create an adventure from scratch). And I have identified some possibilities, but nothing really compelling.

I thought about City of the Spider Queen (I even have a partly finished conversion to 3.5)?

My group is more "tactically" inclined then "hardcore RPer", so, some dungeon crawling or good old hack'n'slay is welcome.

regards
Ras

P.S.
We're playing on Faerun and the group will be 'round lvl 12-13 by the end of RHoD.

Almost level-appropriate for ToH...mwahahaHaHaHaHAHAHAHHAAAAAA!
(I'm sorry, was that out loud? :smallredface:)

rasbadar
2010-10-20, 11:04 AM
Almost level-appropriate for ToH...mwahahaHaHaHaHAHAHAHHAAAAAA!
(I'm sorry, was that out loud? :smallredface:)

Hehe. Thanks, good hint. But we're a group of old-schoolers. So we played through the original ToH and the RttToH and the boxed set....

regards
ras

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 11:06 AM
Hehe. Thanks, good hint. But we're a group of old-schoolers. So we played through the original ToH and the RttToH and the boxed set....

regards
ras

Have you tried bumping up the level on Return to Myth Drannor? My friends and I thouroughly enjoyed that one (and mythals are always fun).

Iku Rex
2010-10-20, 11:14 AM
Deep Horizon (3.0 adventure series, lv13) is about right, level-wise.

You could also consider jumping into one of the Paizo adventure paths. (Shackled City, Age of Worms or Savage Tide - not sure which is better or more appropriate after RHoD.)

Saintheart
2010-10-20, 11:24 AM
Age of Worms is a thought, but the recasting required to fit it into Faerun is headache-inducing, IMHO...

Also, shameless plug, rasbadar, but if you've advice or thoughts to offer on the RHOD experience and things that might make it better, please stop by my handbook thread in my signature! :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

rasbadar
2010-10-20, 11:28 AM
Deep Horizon (3.0 adventure series, lv13) is about right, level-wise.

You could also consider jumping into one of the Paizo adventure paths. (Shackled City, Age of Worms or Savage Tide - not sure which is better or more appropriate after RHoD.)

I thought about that.
I've also looked at Rise of the Runelords.
Do you think it's doable/advisable to "get into" a path at a later stage? Or are they so well done - story-wise, that there's too much story missing to be enjoyable?

true_shinken
2010-10-20, 11:29 AM
How about Expedition to the Demonweb Pits?

rasbadar
2010-10-20, 11:33 AM
Age of Worms is a thought, but the recasting required to fit it into Faerun is headache-inducing, IMHO...

Also, shameless plug, rasbadar, but if you've advice or thoughts to offer on the RHOD experience and things that might make it better, please stop by my handbook thread in my signature! :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Hi,

Age of Worms is unfortunately not possible (due to player knowledge), otherwise this would've been a good choice (even if I don't know, if it is possible to enter the path at a later stage w/o the PCs having the knowledge from the earlier parts.)

Concerning your RHoD-Thread: I've looking into it almost daily(!) waiting for updates for the later stages (my group is in Brindol right now). I'll add to it!

Thanks for the good work. It's a worthy successor to Gary's RHoD-thread in the Wizards forum.

take care!

dsmiles
2010-10-20, 11:34 AM
On another note, my friends and I are doing Expedition to Castle Ravenloft this weekend. It's levelled at 6-10, could be bumped up with a few modifications. Anyone can get to Ravenloft. Anyone.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-20, 11:38 AM
Hi fellers,

regards
Ras

P.S.

Against the giants?

Return of the Eight: Need to convert though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_the_Eight

Expedition to demonweb pits?

Lord of the Iron Fortress?

Return of ToEE?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_the_Temple_of_Elemental_Evil

Second Darkness? Might need to up the difficulty since they assume lower levels.

Rise of the Runelords"? Might need to up the difficulty since they assume lower levels.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-20, 12:41 PM
Return of ToEE?

My memory of this indicates that while good, it might be a bit on the easy side. It might need a bit of monster advancement and the like if you take it on.

Big book, though, so lots of material to use.

I suppose hopping into WLD is also a possibility, if you feel in the mood for dungeon crawling. Lots and lots of dungeon crawling. I don't see any particular reason why you HAVE to use the entire thing as one 20 level dungeon. Just grabbing an area or three in isolation seems quite doable.

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 12:43 PM
Just go all out (http://www.worldslargestdungeon.com/)

rasbadar
2010-10-20, 01:00 PM
My memory of this indicates that while good, it might be a bit on the easy side. It might need a bit of monster advancement and the like if you take it on.

Big book, though, so lots of material to use.

I suppose hopping into WLD is also a possibility, if you feel in the mood for dungeon crawling. Lots and lots of dungeon crawling. I don't see any particular reason why you HAVE to use the entire thing as one 20 level dungeon. Just grabbing an area or three in isolation seems quite doable.

Thanks.

RttToEE is regrettfully not an option.

But WLD would be one.
Are the single "areas" more or less coherent or is it really only "room! monster! treasure! onward!"? I mean, I dont need a working dungeon ecology, but absolutely illogical monsters door to door would destroy my PCs suspension of disbelief (as far as existent)...

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 01:01 PM
You may find you don't agree with their logic, but there is logic, and it's not just one monster after another in alphabetical order.

rasbadar
2010-10-20, 01:11 PM
Against the giants?
I think all in my group know these wonderful modules. Are there any 3.5-conversions available? I think I saw something in the ENWorld-Conversion-directory. But I'm not sure

Return of the Eight: Need to convert though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_the_Eight

Hmmm. Quite "greyhawkesque". And 2nd Edition, no?

Expedition to demonweb pits?
Good. Very good! Will contemplate

Lord of the Iron Fortress?
Also very nice. I forgot about this first Adventure Path. I DMed the first two of them.

Return of ToEE?

Regrettfully not an option.

Second Darkness? Might need to up the difficulty since they assume lower levels.
Good. But a very interesting Drow-concept, iirc. I dont know, if I can fit that in my FR canon....

Rise of the Runelords"? Might need to up the difficulty since they assume lower levels.
Already on my list. The last two would be fitting, levelwise

My comments above in this color

Tyndmyr
2010-10-20, 01:35 PM
But WLD would be one.
Are the single "areas" more or less coherent or is it really only "room! monster! treasure! onward!"? I mean, I dont need a working dungeon ecology, but absolutely illogical monsters door to door would destroy my PCs suspension of disbelief (as far as existent)...

Certain areas have themes, and some sort of coherent philosophy. This does not seem to extend across the entire dungeon, though(unless you're very generous on definitions).

They will, on occasion, give ideas about modifying the basic game of D&D itself. These are invariably bad, and should be ignored. For instance, they suggest banning web. The first spellbook you find(well, possibly) has web in it. Im not 100% certain what they were thinking on such lines, but you'll find it much more convenient if you just skip over that nonsense and use it as a handy dungeon.

As always, reading through it first and tweaking the odd bits you don't like in your world is probably a good idea.

rasbadar
2010-10-21, 03:45 AM
Hi,

thanks for you input.

I will take a look at EttDWP (have to spiece up) and at chapter N of WLD (Undead domain).

regards!

Coidzor
2010-10-21, 03:55 AM
On another note, my friends and I are doing Expedition to Castle Ravenloft this weekend. It's levelled at 6-10, could be bumped up with a few modifications. Anyone can get to Ravenloft. Anyone.

You don't go to Ravenloft. Ravenloft comes to you.