PDA

View Full Version : what is this spell and where can I find it?!

big teej
2010-10-20, 02:26 PM
this here
last panel

http://lfgcomic.com/page/9

I want! :smalltongue:

can anyone tell me what spell this is? and what book it's in?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-10-20, 02:29 PM
It's in Diablo II. Summon Skeleton, a 1st tier Necromancer skill. He's got several levels in it (or several +skill items at least) to be able to summon multiples, but the concept is the same.

If you wish to reproduce this effect in D&D, I suggest you look more to feats than to spells. Specifically Fell Animate, which animates bodies of slain enemies, at a significant +Spell Level cost (like +4, IIRC). However, unless you have significant multipliers involved, summoned skeletons almost always are not worth the space they take up.

Eldariel
2010-10-20, 02:34 PM
There's also a really lackluster Epic spell for it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/animusBlast.htm). Could make it better if you wanted to of course, though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-10-20, 02:43 PM
There's also a really lackluster Epic spell for it (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/animusBlast.htm). Could make it better if you wanted to of course, though.A Fell Animate Enervation would probably be in every way superior, though... particularly if you use things like Split Ray and Empower. Shouldn't be too hard to minimize the spell level adjustment if one gets... creative. Fell Drain Cold Snap would hit more critters, though, depending on how high their HD is. If they only have one HD, a Fell Drain/Fell Animate Locate City Bomb works.

Keld Denar
2010-10-20, 02:47 PM
An Illumian Dread Necro with NaenHoon can DMM 2 of his arcane spells per day. Unlike DMM, NaenHoon does not care if the spell is arcane or divine. So you could burn 5 attempts each to Fell Animate Death Knell twice per day from a very low level if you were so inclined. Zombies galore!

Eldariel
2010-10-20, 02:48 PM
A Fell Animate Enervation would probably be in every way superior, though... particularly if you use things like Split Ray and Empower. Shouldn't be too hard to minimize the spell level adjustment if one gets... creative. Fell Drain Cold Snap would hit more critters, though, depending on how high their HD is. If they only have one HD, a Fell Drain/Fell Animate Locate City Bomb works.

Yeah, as I said the spell is really lackluster. Just pointing out that it exists.

Suropej
2010-10-20, 03:56 PM
To be accurate, the LFGComic is based (albeit loosely) on WoW. That means it wouldn't be akin to the Diablo II spell which summons skeletons.

Based on the sickly color of the aura the stooges that got affected by the spell in the comic, I would say the spell is more like the Energy Drain supernatural ability of the Wight. By stealing the lifeforce of the body (which becomes liquified in the comic) the skeleton emerges and is under the control of the caster.

Because Energy Drain instantly slays a target when drained to 0-character level, it is easy to say that the three guys in the comic were level one, succumbed to the drain effect, and rose again as skeletons (not Wights because the caster was not a Wight, and that would be OP'd to game with anyhow).

It shouldn't be too bad to brew up a spell that could do that.

big teej
2010-10-20, 06:18 PM
To be accurate, the LFGComic is based (albeit loosely) on WoW. That means it wouldn't be akin to the Diablo II spell which summons skeletons.

Based on the sickly color of the aura the stooges that got affected by the spell in the comic, I would say the spell is more like the Energy Drain supernatural ability of the Wight. By stealing the lifeforce of the body (which becomes liquified in the comic) the skeleton emerges and is under the control of the caster.

Because Energy Drain instantly slays a target when drained to 0-character level, it is easy to say that the three guys in the comic were level one, succumbed to the drain effect, and rose again as skeletons (not Wights because the caster was not a Wight, and that would be OP'd to game with anyhow).

It shouldn't be too bad to brew up a spell that could do that.

I concur... unfortunately, never having played a caster... I wouldn't know where to begin to make such a spell balanced. :smallfrown:

Starbuck_II
2010-10-20, 06:24 PM
I concur... unfortunately, never having played a caster... I wouldn't know where to begin to make such a spell balanced. :smallfrown:

Make a low level Extract water Elemental (but necromancy). Keep it single target.

Than after making the lower level one make the higher level one or use Chain Metamagic.

Extract Water elemental 6th level spell that can kill you (with damage) than extraxts a water elemental from you (as an summoned ally for 1 minute).
Deals d6/caster, Fort 1/2. If it slays target, summons the elemental.

Seeing as skeletons are weaker that helps lower level.

I could see a 3rd level one. Add Chain Metamagic to replicate comic.

I'll make in homebrew section

Valameer
2010-10-20, 06:35 PM
I haven't played WoW in a while, but that looks like the Death Knight's spell Army of The Dead. Makes a bunch of corpses into ghouls. Pretty cool.

Chrono22
2010-10-20, 06:50 PM
It looks like a mass inflict in conjunction with the Fell Animate metamagic feat.

big teej
2010-10-20, 09:53 PM
I'll make in homebrew section

link please:smallbiggrin:

also, for future reference, any suggestions on how long I should play casters before I think about homebrewing spells?