PDA

View Full Version : Air force bummer

junglesteve
2010-10-20, 02:49 PM
Super bummed out! The air force is closing recruitment for now :( If I had done my stuff back in august like I planned I would probably have a ship date. Curse my procrastination! If I am lucky I could be one of the lucky two people per month for the entire state of michigan but I doubt that will happen.

pendell
2010-10-20, 03:04 PM
I feel for ya. I flunked the DODMERB medical exam because of asthma. It closed off my entire planned career path.

Life goes on. I found a fulfilling career in the civilian world.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Rockphed
2010-10-20, 04:30 PM
A year and a half(or more, I'm bad at the whole time-lining thing) ago I was looking into joining the Air Force and the recruiter pretty much said he never had problems meeting his targets. Though I have since decided that the military would not be good for me(nor would I be good for the military), I understand your pain. By which I mean that the benefits of the Air Force (as opposed to the other branches of the military) are writ large in their very name. Namely 1: you get to fly, 2: if they issue weapons, you are already doomed.

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-20, 04:48 PM
US Forces get the nod.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-21, 02:52 AM
Will you have another chance later? next year perhaps?

I know a friend of mine tried to get into the Air Force (in NZ) and failed due to his eyesight.

Cut to a few years later, and he's now in the Air Force after all, just in a different role (that apparently doesn't require 20/20 vision).

Could you have another go next year possibly?

KuReshtin
2010-10-21, 05:54 AM
Sorry to hear that you didn't get in, junglesteve.

Also, just because it's called the Air Force doesn't necessarily mean that everyone who joins get to fly.
There's still admin positions, maintenance positions, medical positions etc etc.
There are lots of opportunities other than being a fly-boy in the Air Force.

Zeb The Troll
2010-10-21, 06:06 AM
There are lots of opportunities other than being a fly-boy in the Air Force.Indeed. There are far more non-flight positions than pilot positions. Just like not everyone in the Army is Infantry or Artillery.

Brother Oni
2010-10-21, 06:50 AM
I know the feeling.

Applied for the army while I was in uni, went all the way through to the RCB Briefing (a 2 day course which is supposedly intended to bring candidates of all backgrounds to the same level for the actual RCB), got a cat 3 pass (they're not sure I'm suitable, but they're willing to give me the benefit of the doubt), then failed the medical on unaided eyesight. Surgery automatically invalidates me for service. :smallsigh:

Provided you pass the medical and don't absolutely flunk the mental/physical aptitude test, you can always apply again next year. Just spend the current year working on your fitness or areas of weakness in your resume, so that it doesn't look like you've been twiddling your thumbs for a year when you re-apply.

LCR
2010-10-21, 09:37 AM
Well, join the navy? I hear they have planes, too.

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 01:05 PM
Indeed. There are far more non-flight positions than pilot positions. Just like not everyone in the Army is Infantry or Artillery.

But every Marine is a Rifleman!

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-21, 01:16 PM
Sorry to hear that you didn't get in, junglesteve.

Also, just because it's called the Air Force doesn't necessarily mean that everyone who joins get to fly.
There's still admin positions, maintenance positions, medical positions etc etc.
There are lots of opportunities other than being a fly-boy in the Air Force.

Because you don't have to be a pilot to fly in the RAF

Quoting adverts ftw! :smallamused:

@OP: Bright side; two people/month getting in. You'll just have to make sure you're the best of the bunch. I've started seriously looking at the army myself this year (and slowly but surely wearing my friend down so she joins as a chef) so I share your concerns. Good luck.

Brother Oni
2010-10-21, 02:35 PM
But every Marine is a Rifleman!

Interestingly enough, RMA Sandhurst trains every officer* as if they were an infantry commander, so that is more true than you think.

*except chaplains, doctors and other attendees of the tarts and vicars course.

KuReshtin
2010-10-21, 05:14 PM
Because you don't have to be a pilot to fly in the RAF

Quoting adverts ftw! :smallamused:

'Tis true I got the idea from the RAF ad, yes. :smallsmile:

Still holds true, though.

SurlySeraph
2010-10-21, 06:12 PM
There's always the Navy. Or civilian flight school, which might be a good way to bolster your resume for next year if you can afford it.