PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Critical Attacks on Everything

RiskyJubles
2010-10-20, 03:28 PM
I'm making a character that relies heavily on critical attacks. My problem is that I want to avoid being shut down as much as possible.

I already know about Truedeath crystals for undead, but I can't find anything to help me crit constructs.

Any advice?

Godless_Paladin
2010-10-20, 03:31 PM
I'm making a character that relies heavily on critical attacks. My problem is that I want to avoid being shut down as much as possible.

I already know about Truedeath crystals for undead, but I can't find anything to help me crit constructs.

Any advice?

You're going to feel terribly silly when I tell you this, but...

Right next to the entry for the Truedeath Crystal, on page 65 of the Magic Item Compendium, is the Demolition Crystal, which is the same thing for Constructs.

Problem solved :smallsmile:

Tyndmyr
2010-10-20, 03:32 PM
Also, since you can only use one crystal at a time(by general interpretation, if not by actual rules. I don't recall if it's actually specified), you may consider a wand socket and wand of gravestrike for undead hatred.

Il_Vec
2010-10-20, 03:34 PM
Also, since you can only use one crystal at a time(by general interpretation, if not by actual rules. I don't recall if it's actually specified), you may consider a wand socket and wand of gravestrike for undead hatred.

It is specified, and it is also specified that if you carry more than one crystal, it is a swift action to change them.

RiskyJubles
2010-10-20, 03:38 PM
Swift action to change? That's all I need. Thanks a bunch.

Now that Undead and Constructs are covered, do you guys know anything for Oozes and the like? It's less important, but could still come in handy.

Godless_Paladin
2010-10-20, 03:40 PM

Uhm, sorry, Tyndmyr, but no.

The Spell Compendium entry for grave strike specifies "This spell applies only to sneak attack damage. It gives you no ability to affect undead with critical hits."

Tyndmyr
2010-10-20, 03:43 PM
Bah, stupid memory.

Yeah, go with the dual crystals then. That'll be best.

I wouldn't worry about oozes. They tend to be slow enough that they're only a problem if you walk into them. The way to defeat them lies not through big crits, but through due paranoia regarding traps and the like, then blasting them from range.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-20, 03:56 PM
Talk to your DM. See if you can get, by quest and gold, a special magic item that gives you the ability to crit on things that can't normally be critted, maybe some super special blackmith/mage who knows how. One free plot hook for the DM, one a magic item that let's your character remain effective when facing certain foes for you.

Person_Man
2010-10-20, 04:04 PM
Keep in mind that there are various ways to get immune to critical hits (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2973940#post2973940) that can't be bypassed, or require a highly inefficient investment to do so. (Is spending the gp on a Wand of Vinestrike really worth being able to crit plants the one time you fight them?) Warshaper, Armor of Heavy Fortification, Formless Vest, Oozes, Amorphous Form, Living Undeath, Talisman of Undying Fortitude, etc.

That's why I rarely invest in any critical hit combo. They're highly unreliable, and often have very little return on investment.

Godless_Paladin
2010-10-20, 04:06 PM
Yeah. One trick ponies in general are just asking to get stomped by any DM that isn't coddling the players.

RiskyJubles
2010-10-20, 04:47 PM
Keep in mind that there are various ways to get immune to critical hits (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2973940#post2973940) that can't be bypassed, or require a highly inefficient investment to do so. (Is spending the gp on a Wand of Vinestrike really worth being able to crit plants the one time you fight them?) Warshaper, Armor of Heavy Fortification, Formless Vest, Oozes, Amorphous Form, Living Undeath, Talisman of Undying Fortitude, etc.

That's why I rarely invest in any critical hit combo. They're highly unreliable, and often have very little return on investment.

You're totally right of coarse. But criting is too much for NOT to build a character around it. Besides, this is for a gestalt game so I won't be a one trick pony. (Full-wizard spellcasting+Full-Incarnate meldshaping on top of this crit monkey goodness)

On a related note: Easy ways to auto-confirm my crits?

Darrin
2010-10-20, 05:27 PM

Bless weapon spell, auto-crit vs. evil.

There's a weapon template in DMGII that adds +2 to confirm rolls... pit-spawned? I can't remember.

Other than that... take the Power Critical feat 4 or 5 times (or stack it up with a wand of Heroics).

Siosilvar
2010-10-20, 05:41 PM

There's a weapon template in DMGII that adds +2 to confirm rolls... pit-spawned? I can't remember.

Other than that... take the Power Critical feat 4 or 5 times (or stack it up with a wand of Heroics).

I am relatively certain that Power Critical can be taken only once per weapon.

Darrin
2010-10-20, 05:59 PM
I am relatively certain that Power Critical can be taken only once per weapon.

From the SRD:

"You can gain Power Critical multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it may be with a different weapon or the same weapon. If you take it with the same weapon, the effects of the feats stack."

Greenish
2010-10-20, 06:07 PM
On a related note: Easy ways to auto-confirm my crits?Warblade gets Int to confirm criticals.

Diarmuid
2010-10-20, 07:19 PM
There is a set of gloves in the MiC that also let you crit/sneak attack normally immune creatures X times/day. Forget the name off top of my head though, sorry.

Thurbane
2010-10-20, 08:17 PM
The Power Critical feat adds +4 to confirmation rolls, and can be taken multiple times to stack with itself.

There is a set of gloves in the MiC that also let you crit/sneak attack normally immune creatures X times/day. Forget the name off top of my head though, sorry.
Deathstrike Bracers (5000gp).

Fizban
2010-10-21, 01:43 AM

Dolorous Blow, Spell Compendium. It gives you keen and auto-confirms crits on everything, and it's only 3rd level. Honestly, I'm sure it's horribly broken, but no one else around ever mentions it (that I know of). All you need is a source of Dolorous Blow and.. well really any weapon. Put it on a scimitar, crit on half your attacks. Put it on a scythe, laugh maniacally when 10% of your attacks kill everything.

Edit: whoops, typo on percentage. 19-20 threat is 10% of your attacks. Still awesome.

ffone
2010-10-21, 01:56 AM
Dolorous Blow, Spell Compendium. It gives you keen and auto-confirms crits on everything, and it's only 3rd level. Honestly, I'm sure it's horribly broken, but no one else around ever mentions it (that I know of). All you need is a source of Dolorous Blow and.. well really any weapon. Put it on a scimitar, crit on half your attacks. Put it on a scythe, laugh maniacally when 20% of your attacks kill everything.

If you already have a keen weapon or Improved Crit, Bless Weapon is 1st level, same duration. It's vs-evil only, but bypasses DR /good.

Thurbane
2010-10-21, 02:00 AM
Wow, can't believe I've overlooked that spell so often...a minute per level, too.

ffone
2010-10-21, 02:00 AM
Deathstrike Bracers (5000gp).

If your DM allows you to buy multiple copies of these (or better yet, increase their price by 5000 per each 3 new charges) I prefer these to the Truedeath or Demolition Crystals (but both are lifesavers for a rogue, don't get me wrong.)

The Deathstrike Bracers aren't tied to a specific weapon or Type (will work for undead, constructs, elementals, plants, oozes) and for the price of both crystals (20K) you could get 4 copies of the bracers or 12 charges a day. And there are other really good crystals (300 gp per weapon for Quick Draw, effectively, for example). But if you know your DM is one of the many who seem to think undead should be 50% of encounters, go with the crystal!

Person_Man
2010-10-21, 09:07 AM

Necrocarnum Weapon soulmeld grants a bonus to damage and to confirm crits equal to the essentia invested. When bound to your Hands chakra slot, it grants you temporary essentia = the essentia invested when you crit (doesn't stack with itself). If you're a crit focused build, it basically just trades a chakra bind for more essentia.

Dimers
2010-10-21, 10:51 AM

Psi feat "Instinctive Consummator", from Complete Psi. Spend psionic focus to auto-confirm on a living target, no roll needed.

Diarmuid
2010-10-21, 11:07 AM
If your DM allows you to buy multiple copies of these (or better yet, increase their price by 5000 per each 3 new charges) I prefer these to the Truedeath or Demolition Crystals (but both are lifesavers for a rogue, don't get me wrong.)

The Deathstrike Bracers aren't tied to a specific weapon or Type (will work for undead, constructs, elementals, plants, oozes) and for the price of both crystals (20K) you could get 4 copies of the bracers or 12 charges a day. And there are other really good crystals (300 gp per weapon for Quick Draw, effectively, for example). But if you know your DM is one of the many who seem to think undead should be 50% of encounters, go with the crystal!

I know I certainly wouldnt allow a simple 5k per 3 charge price change. I would probably rule on a scale like additional 2x price for the second set of 3 charges (15k), and another 4x price for 3 more (35k total) and so on.

Though buying multiple copies that can be swapped out between encounters would be fine assuming a world with MagicMart capabilities. Typically, our games dont cater to player whims with regards to magic item orders and we deal with in-stock stuff or have to arrange for specific items and wait appropriate time for them to be crafted, assuming we can find someone willing/capable of crafting them.

ffone
2010-10-21, 12:42 PM
I know I certainly wouldnt allow a simple 5k per 3 charge price change. I would probably rule on a scale like additional 2x price for the second set of 3 charges (15k), and another 4x price for 3 more (35k total) and so on.

2x price would be an additional 5K. The 'original' bracers are 5K, with 3 charges per day.

If the DM doesn't allow 'linear' scale-up of charges and price, and uses a quadratic formula, then my suggestion is

1. Point out that normal magic item prices are linear in charges (uses per day items, wands and staves, etc.) or that several copies of the same effect probably qualifies as 'multiple similar abilities' (even if it were 'different' it would only induce x1.5
2. Failing that, try to buy several copies rather than buying superlinear costs for 1 item. Then, between battles, switch to whichever pair has the most charges remaining. This could be an advantage of your DM likes Sundering.

(Obviously it's all up to the DM, and I'm not claiming RAW dictates it must be allowed; these are just talking points I suggest using.)

Though buying multiple copies that can be swapped out between encounters would be fine assuming a world with MagicMart capabilities. Typically, our games dont cater to player whims with regards to magic item orders and we deal with in-stock stuff or have to arrange for specific items and wait appropriate time for them to be crafted, assuming we can find someone willing/capable of crafting them.

If your character 'finds' the regular bracers at the local MagicMart, have the PC try to talk to the shopkeep and find the wizard who crafted them, then go beg for more. :)

Tyndmyr
2010-10-21, 12:53 PM
Dolorous Blow, Spell Compendium. It gives you keen and auto-confirms crits on everything, and it's only 3rd level. Honestly, I'm sure it's horribly broken, but no one else around ever mentions it (that I know of). All you need is a source of Dolorous Blow and.. well really any weapon. Put it on a scimitar, crit on half your attacks. Put it on a scythe, laugh maniacally when 20% of your attacks kill everything.

Yeah, I've used that in practical games a lot. It's fantastic, even in isolation.

Diarmuid
2010-10-21, 01:53 PM
2x price would be an additional 5K. The 'original' bracers are 5K, with 3 charges per day.

If the DM doesn't allow 'linear' scale-up of charges and price, and uses a quadratic formula, then my suggestion is

1. Point out that normal magic item prices are linear in charges (uses per day items, wands and staves, etc.) or that several copies of the same effect probably qualifies as 'multiple similar abilities' (even if it were 'different' it would only induce x1.5
2. Failing that, try to buy several copies rather than buying superlinear costs for 1 item. Then, between battles, switch to whichever pair has the most charges remaining. This could be an advantage of your DM likes Sundering.

(Obviously it's all up to the DM, and I'm not claiming RAW dictates it must be allowed; these are just talking points I suggest using.)

If your character 'finds' the regular bracers at the local MagicMart, have the PC try to talk to the shopkeep and find the wizard who crafted them, then go beg for more. :)

Sorry if I wasnt totally clear, I mean an additional 2x. Though I guess now that I'm thinking about it, additional 1.5 might be better through the adding powers to existing items guidelines, in the vain of say a Ring of Protection +1/Natural Armor +1 where one of those ends up costing 1.5X the price, dont recall if it's the more or less expensive. Havent read through those rules in a bit.

As for the MagicMart part of my post, most games I'm in dont involve MagicMarts where you can just buy whatever you want. But you solution is pretty much what I said about finding someone to make something that you dont find available somewhere.

kestrel404
2010-10-21, 02:38 PM
I recall that there's a feat that lets you deal crit damage to favored enemies that are immune to crit damage? I don't remember the source or name, unfortunately.

Greenish
2010-10-21, 02:40 PM
Dolorous Blow, Spell Compendium. It gives you keen and auto-confirms crits on everything, and it's only 3rd level. Honestly, I'm sure it's horribly broken, but no one else around ever mentions it (that I know of). All you need is a source of Dolorous Blow and.. well really any weapon. Put it on a scimitar, crit on half your attacks. Put it on a scythe, laugh maniacally when 20% of your attacks kill everything.Holy Handcarts, Batman, I'd never noticed that one. It's sweet, sweet gishy spell. And hey, what do you know, available for Arcanamachs too.

RiskyJubles
2010-10-21, 02:51 PM
This is really great.

I didn't expect so many responses. I guess there are tons of crit lovers around.

This fills in tons of holes in my build. Thanks a million everyone.

ffone
2010-10-23, 12:55 AM
I recall that there's a feat that lets you deal crit damage to favored enemies that are immune to crit damage? I don't remember the source or name, unfortunately.

Probably the Swift Hunter feat for being able to add skirmish damage to favored enemies (and stack those two class features' level progressions) for ranger-scouts. Forget if it lets you crit as well.

Fizban
2010-10-23, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I've used that in practical games a lot. It's fantastic, even in isolation.

Ah, nice to hear about someone using it. I'm pretty sure my current DM would shoot it down in a second with how the other players keep critting with just natural 20's. But one these days there's gonna be a Battle Sorcerer with a pile of attack rolls, rerolls, and an auto-confirming 19-20 x4 modifier walking down the street taking heads.

Regarding multiple bracers: there's a neat trick you can do with multiples of the same item, if you don't mind looking silly. The magic item rules say that if you put on a new item in the same slot it functions normally, while the one you had on before that become inactive. If all you need is a bunch of the same charged item, strap them all on at once and then rip them off as you go. Shouldn't take more than a move action to remove (and then drop) the one you just used up, which exposes the one beneath it with a full charge. I'm sure it's against the spirit of the MiC, but I would expect any practical adventurer of high level to be doing this with at least one favored item. Wearing four Belts of Battle for instance. . .

Foerick
2010-10-23, 06:02 AM
Sorry if I wasnt totally clear, I mean an additional 2x. Though I guess now that I'm thinking about it, additional 1.5 might be better through the adding powers to existing items guidelines, in the vain of say a Ring of Protection +1/Natural Armor +1 where one of those ends up costing 1.5X the price, dont recall if it's the more or less expensive. Havent read through those rules in a bit.

As for the MagicMart part of my post, most games I'm in dont involve MagicMarts where you can just buy whatever you want. But you solution is pretty much what I said about finding someone to make something that you dont find available somewhere.

Unless you are adding a common effect (AC, Ability Bonus, Resistance and Saves) each additional power costs the cost of the additional power + 1/2 of the power with lower cost.

So adding a 5k ability to a 5k item would cost 7.5k.