PDA

View Full Version : favorite gaming genre?

randomhero00
2010-10-20, 04:35 PM
*Not* favorite game, but genre. Like horror, fantasy, scifi, western, etc. I personally like as big of a mix as possible. Not sure what to call it, fanfy maybe, hehe. Anyone know if there's a word for it? I like both elements of scifi and fantasy. Like multiple worlds with spaceships but also magic. Then add in some western flare and creepy horror and you've got my perfect setting. Not sure what to call that though...

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 04:40 PM
Post-apocalyptic and wuxia. Preferably both at the same time.

Though sci-fi is quickly moving up.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-10-20, 04:41 PM
Fantasy, fantasy, and...lemme think, oh yeah FANTASY!!! :smallbiggrin:

Comet
2010-10-20, 04:42 PM
I like pretty much anything. Variety is the spice of life.

The one I end up playing the most though, is fantasy. And I mean proper fantasy, not just medieval stuff with pointy ears and silly hats.

randomhero00
2010-10-20, 04:42 PM
Post-apocalyptic and wuxia. Preferably both at the same time.

Though sci-fi is quickly moving up.

post apocalyptic wuxia or post apocalyptic anything? Because you can have post apocalyptic fantasy for instance.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-20, 05:17 PM
Post-apocalyptic wuxia. Which is fantasy, but a specific subset of fantasy.

I dislike post-apocalyptic other forms of fantasy, because I keep asking "why haven't these awesome mages fixed everything already?".

randomhero00
2010-10-20, 05:23 PM
Post-apocalyptic wuxia. Which is fantasy, but a specific subset of fantasy.

I dislike post-apocalyptic other forms of fantasy, because I keep asking "why haven't these awesome mages fixed everything already?".

I'm not familiar. Explain please?

Camelot
2010-10-20, 05:30 PM
*Not* favorite game, but genre. Like horror, fantasy, scifi, western, etc. I personally like as big of a mix as possible. Not sure what to call it, fanfy maybe, hehe. Anyone know if there's a word for it? I like both elements of scifi and fantasy. Like multiple worlds with spaceships but also magic. Then add in some western flare and creepy horror and you've got my perfect setting. Not sure what to call that though...

Star Wars.

I love fantasy the most, but I do enjoy sci-fi a lot too, especially when the two are combined as you described. To me, the best genre is one that allows for anything you want to happen.

Crossblade
2010-10-20, 05:58 PM
I haven't tried many, but I like me my Swords and Magic!

I want to try future-ish sci-fi with giant mechs though.

Valameer
2010-10-20, 06:17 PM
Fantasy is my favorite. But I'm over-saturated with it, which makes me want to play post-apoc modern or space-western more.

Psyren
2010-10-20, 06:31 PM
I like fantasy mixed with technology - the elemental-powered trains/airships, outer space filled with demons, lasers that run on mana, robots that use magic etc. Needless to say I love both Eberron and Warcraft.

Jjeinn-tae
2010-10-20, 06:33 PM
I like fantasy mixed with technology - the elemental-powered trains/airships, outer space filled with demons, lasers that run on mana, robots that use magic etc. Needless to say I love both Eberron and Warcraft.

I love this style as well, practically every setting I create has some tinge of technology mixed with magic.

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 07:10 PM
Not sure what to call that though...

Kitchen-sink? Cosmopolitan? Blender? Gumbo?

Personally I like comedy. If things aren't funny from time to time, it's just not quite as fun.

Scow2
2010-10-20, 08:30 PM
I like Two-Fisted Tales Adventure. D&D's Eberron and the Savage Worlds game systems are awesome deliveries of what I like.

Knaight
2010-10-20, 09:21 PM
I have a slight favoritism towards very low fantasy. That said, while genre varies highly, some motifs manage to see more use than they ever deserve, one of which is industrialization, another the unknown.

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 04:31 AM
I enjoy a mixture of Dark Lovecraftian Horror and Steampunk. Call of Cthulhu meets Iron Kingdoms type-of-stuff.

BobVosh
2010-10-21, 06:15 AM
SciFI/Western mixes.

Firefly does a good job of showing what I like.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-21, 06:24 AM
I like humorous, less-serious campaigns, though it's hard to get people to agree to them.

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 06:50 AM
I like humorous, less-serious campaigns, though it's hard to get people to agree to them.

If you live in Va., I'm your man. We did a campaign based off of all the old Christmas specials, and another based off the song "Living Dead Girl." Our group loves comedy.

Thorcrest
2010-10-21, 06:56 AM

Your favourite type of genre would likely fall as a sub-set of science-fantasy... which is already a pretty ambiguous genre as it is really a combination of two others.

Anyways, I have always had a liking for low fantasy and sci-fi... but I'll pretty much play anything as long as the game isn't just the players stomping every last thing they meet.

hamlet
2010-10-21, 07:28 AM
Equally Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Dark, Gritty, and very very Low.

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 07:31 AM

I know what we could call your genre.
We could call it...
...SPELLJAMMER!

panaikhan
2010-10-21, 07:32 AM
I love the retro-futuristic settings, like Eberron and (to a lesser extent) Dark Heresy.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-21, 07:44 AM
Post-apocalyptic Desert world for the win!

(aka Darksun)

I like games that are serious when they need to be, but zany and laid back from time to time. :)

pife
2010-10-21, 08:25 AM
For me, it's all about setting.. (And DM, of course).. My staple is fantasy, preferably of a dark, gritty, horror style (Cthulu, Ravenloft, WFRP), but I also like some Sci-Fi..

And for something that I WANT to play, but have never been able to put together a game for.. Post-Apocalyptic for the win!! Twilight 2000, Gamma World (yeah, I said Gamma World).. I'm THAT old, lol. Rawr!

bokodasu
2010-10-21, 08:47 AM
Put me down for Space Western as well. Also Victorian Monsters, Fantasy Superheroes, and high-powered post-apocalyptic wasteland. (I think my philosophy can be summed up as "more explosions, less grit".)

I used to own the original Gamma World, but I never did get anyone to play it with me either. I'm actually thinking of picking up the 4e version, although I don't really have time to learn a new ruleset right now.

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 09:00 AM
For me, it's all about setting.. (And DM, of course).. My staple is fantasy, preferably of a dark, gritty, horror style (Cthulu, Ravenloft, WFRP), but I also like some Sci-Fi..

And for something that I WANT to play, but have never been able to put together a game for.. Post-Apocalyptic for the win!! Twilight 2000, Gamma World (yeah, I said Gamma World).. I'm THAT old, lol. Rawr!

Unfortunately WotC is ruining another great TSR title, by updating Gamma World. :smallfrown:

hamlet
2010-10-21, 09:27 AM
Unfortunately WotC is ruining another great TSR title, by updating Gamma World. :smallfrown:

I wouldn't say "ruined" really. Just transformed into something neither your nor I would like.

I still say that WOTC could probably make a significant enough profit if they would open up the AD&D/Gamma World/Etc. rules sets again and allow people to publish under them and even release new printings of the books. They would at the very least generate a lot of good will.

valadil
2010-10-21, 09:29 AM
I always come back to fantasy. I don't like it for every single game, but I play fantasy between other genre diversions. It's a good default.

The Big Dice
2010-10-21, 10:00 AM

With 4th ed D&D style mechanics?

That's just wrong on so many levels.

Anyway, favourite genres for me are: magical samurai drama. Which is a specific subset of fantasy, but without most of the baggage that comes from a certain legacy system. I like me some Cyberpunk too, preferably with no magic, but I am getting tempted to pick up a copy of Shadowrun just to bait in my players. Superheroes too. Cape or no cape is a very serious question. Science fiction is good. Preferably a little harder than Star Wars or Dark Heresy would allow. But I'd tolerate either of those.

Kaulesh
2010-10-21, 10:08 AM
I'm happy with just about any genre. My favorites, however, would have to be psychological horror and cyberpunk.

LibraryOgre
2010-10-21, 10:34 AM
Heroic fantasy tends to be my first, followed by either cyberpunk or post-apocalyptic. Post apocalyptic is not the clear favorite because a lot of what I love about the genre (the struggle to survive) doesn't translate well into gaming.

I also have a fondness for displacement games (i.e. people from modern settings being thrown to another dimension or time), but those run into a few different problems. First, there's the limits of my knowledge... I play with a number of people who could do serious damage if put back in the right time period, simply because of what they know off the top of their heads ("Oh, my wizard can convert elements? I create a 70# block of Cesium out of free hydrogen in the atmosphere.").

Second, you run into character creation. If it's a bait-n-switch, some viable characters wind up completely useless ("So, you're saying my computer hacker character isn't going to be very useful in the 12th century?"). If it's not a bait-n-switch, then there's the temptation to make an effective character, who has just the right skill-set for going back in time ("Oh, my guy? He's a black-powder enthusiast chemist gunsmith, who is also a member of ARMA (http://www.thehaca.com/). No, I don't see how that will be a problem in your "send us to Greyhawk" game).

arrowhen
2010-10-21, 10:51 AM
Adventure fantasy set in a cheerfully anachronistic pastiche of real-world history and mythology. With FX by Harryhausen.

Yora
2010-10-21, 11:03 AM
My favorite genre is clearly Sword and Sorcery.

But I really enjoy post-cyberpunk as well. When it is not as angsty and testosterone fueld as plain regular cyberpunk.

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 11:19 AM
Post apocalyptic is not the clear favorite because a lot of what I love about the genre (the struggle to survive) doesn't translate well into gaming.

No. No, it doesn't. It almost always ends up being, "...and now, you face MOAR ZOMBEEZ!!!"

LibraryOgre
2010-10-21, 11:23 AM
No. No, it doesn't. It almost always ends up being, "...and now, you face MOAR ZOMBEEZ!!!"

Well, that and how do you make a compelling game out of the search for fresh water? Or "food supplies are running low"? Or "the rabbits have been at the beets, meaning your agriculture is threatened?"

While it makes a compelling STORY, it's hard to work as a multiplayer game.

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 11:27 AM
Well, that and how do you make a compelling game out of the search for fresh water? Or "food supplies are running low"? Or "the rabbits have been at the beets, meaning your agriculture is threatened?"

While it makes a compelling STORY, it's hard to work as a multiplayer game.

You've never played a Dwarf Fortress succession game? :smalleek:

(Granted, it's not an rpg. But it is amazingly fun(ny).)

Comet
2010-10-21, 11:33 AM
The thing about apocalyptic survival scenarios in roleplaying games (post-apoc, zombie apoc or otherwise) is that the apocalypse itself needs to take a backseat. I know this sounds purpose-defeating, but to avoid monotone the focus of the story needs to slowly shift to the characters.

First, we introduce the scenario. A few encounters that demonstrate what it is like to survive in this world.
Then we bring up various characters with different backgrounds into the play. The PCs learn about each other and those around them.
And finally everyone breaks down in one way or another. The dying world fades into the background as the people bend under pressure and start going at each other, either mentally or physically. The enemy is not the world, but what the world has made out of the people living in it.

'Least that's the way I've seen it.

Tengu_temp
2010-10-21, 11:54 AM
I play a lot of anime-style games. But since anime is not a genre, I'm gonna say mecha. Everything is better with giant robots! I have a fondness for modern and near future settings, as well.

I haven't played a sword and sorcery campaign in years. And I don't really miss them.

Merk
2010-10-21, 12:00 PM
Comedy / absurd.

BobVosh
2010-10-21, 04:53 PM
I also have a fondness for displacement games (i.e. people from modern settings being thrown to another dimension or time), but those run into a few different problems. First, there's the limits of my knowledge... I play with a number of people who could do serious damage if put back in the right time period, simply because of what they know off the top of their heads ("Oh, my wizard can convert elements? I create a 70# block of Cesium out of free hydrogen in the atmosphere.").

Second, you run into character creation. If it's a bait-n-switch, some viable characters wind up completely useless ("So, you're saying my computer hacker character isn't going to be very useful in the 12th century?"). If it's not a bait-n-switch, then there's the temptation to make an effective character, who has just the right skill-set for going back in time ("Oh, my guy? He's a black-powder enthusiast chemist gunsmith, who is also a member of ARMA (http://www.thehaca.com/). No, I don't see how that will be a problem in your "send us to Greyhawk" game).

It is the only reason I have never run one, because it seems like it could be fun. I was never able to reconcile it, though.

Tetsubo 57
2010-10-21, 05:10 PM
In order:

Fantasy.

Post-apocalyptic. A *very* close second to fantasy. There have been times that has been ahead of fantasy.

Cyberpunk.

Supers.

doc*sk
2010-10-21, 05:17 PM
I really enjoy Fantasy and have played it for years.

Have only ever had one successful long-term campaign for modern. It was a mixture between X-Files and US Marshalls. It was a lot of fun.