PDA

View Full Version : creatures with nets

awa
2010-10-20, 04:39 PM
im making a necromancer an since skeletons retain weapon proficiencies i was wondering if their were any non dragon magazine monsters with proficiency with nets.

im only interested in creatures with only a couple of hit dice at most.

Allanimal
2010-10-20, 04:48 PM
A level 1 fighter with exotic weapon proficieny - Net As One of its feats?

Darrin
2010-10-20, 05:23 PM
i was wondering if their were any non dragon magazine monsters with proficiency with nets.

Since hitting with a net involves a ranged touch attack, a -4 non-proficiency penalty is usually something you can live with without worrying too much about EWP: Net.

The only creature I can think of off the top of my head that gets net proficiency is Grippli, but that's Dragon material.

awa
2010-10-20, 05:54 PM
yeah i was aware of the frog guys but my group doesn't like dragon mags

Greenish
2010-10-20, 05:56 PM
Don't Poison Dusk Lizardfolk treat nets as simple weapons or something?

Also, I think Tasloi from Unapproachable East get nets.

Checking 'em now.

[Edit]: Poison Dusk Lizardfolk treats nets and bolas as martial weapons. Tasloi (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041001b&page=3) has nothin'.

Darrin
2010-10-20, 10:33 PM
Forestkith Goblins (MM3) and Aquatic Elves (Stormwrack) are proficient with nets.

awa
2010-10-20, 10:48 PM
thank you that was very helpful.
(I needed something size medium)

Amiel
2010-10-21, 12:42 AM
IIRC, there's also the malebranche; I think they were 9 HD? (they were in the second Fiendish Codex).

However, since they are outsiders, I'm not sure if necromancers are able to "zombify" them.

Coidzor
2010-10-21, 01:11 AM
Depends on time and luck for some of them, as by a certain bit of rules they do leave behind a corpse but rarely.

And of course, le DM. I don't know if the issue is dealt with in core at all.

ericgrau
2010-10-21, 03:22 AM
Since hitting with a net involves a ranged touch attack, a -4 non-proficiency penalty is usually something you can live with without worrying too much about EWP: Net.

And given that there are a full set of rules for doing so, I think they expected it. If you were talking about a mid-level creature I'd immediately say just do this. But at 1 or 2 HD and a -4 you may have trouble landing your AC 10-12 touch attacks. How about you have the base creature blow a feat on exotic weapon proficiency? Is that allowed?

Coidzor
2010-10-21, 03:26 AM
If you could get it to use RHD to buy the feat. All stuff (including feats) from class levels goes bye-bye when making mindless undead.