PDA

View Full Version : There was a quote in a sig

Erts
2010-10-20, 06:00 PM
Okay, I'm trying to remember a quote that I saw in a person's signature on the forums, it was quite beautiful and I could relate to it very well.
It was by a Japanese philosopher (whose name I forgot :smallsigh:) and described how a friend is someone who you can really connect to in life, maybe dealing with how they are a fellow traveler in life?

Does anyone remember this quote, or know whose it is? More importantly, the actual quote and it's author?
Any other quotes, poems, or sayings about this topic would also be appreciated.

Mr. Moon
2010-10-20, 07:15 PM
What sub-forum was the guy in? Because chances are, if he doesn't post in Friendly Banter, most of us are going to be able to help you.

The quote doesn't sound familiar though, sorry. =/

Marnath
2010-10-20, 07:48 PM
If nothing else, you can do the brute force method and type "japanese philosophers" into google and search through all the works of everyone that it pulls up.:smallfrown:

Shas aia Toriia
2010-10-20, 08:03 PM
Surprisingly, looking up "Japanese Philosophers" only gives 769,000 hits.
I thought it would be a lot more.

Erts
2010-10-20, 10:14 PM
What sub-forum was the guy in? Because chances are, if he doesn't post in Friendly Banter, most of us are going to be able to help you.

The quote doesn't sound familiar though, sorry. =/

'Twas in friendly banter.

Also, was a quote about how it is rare to meet someone with the same thoughts as you do, or something to that line.

If nothing else, you can do the brute force method and type "japanese philosophers" into google and search through all the works of everyone that it pulls up.:smallfrown:

Wouldn't it be easier to look through the whole forum?

Roland St. Jude
2010-10-20, 10:16 PM
I believe you're thinking of Matthew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=14983).

It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

Erts
2010-10-20, 10:18 PM
I believe you're thinking of Matthew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=14983).

Roland, you are a gunslinger indeed. A St, and a man who hunts down the problems of this forums and fixes it. Thank you. :smallsmile:

Also, feel free to close this thread.

Gullara
2010-10-20, 10:42 PM

:smalleek:Wow. You have every member and their sigs, avatars, posts, and threads memorized don't you. :smallamused:

Skeppio
2010-10-20, 10:46 PM
:smalleek:Wow. You have every member and their sigs, avatars, posts, and threads memorized don't you. :smallamused:

I think Roland's an epic level Psion. :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2010-10-20, 10:46 PM
I've always been partial to the plaque hanging at the local irish club
"a good friend will post bail after a crazy night drinking, a best friend will be sitting next to you saying "damn that was fun!" :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-10-20, 10:49 PM

I think it's the hat actually. :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-21, 03:27 PM

Congrats Erts, you now owe Pumpkin St. Jude your soul.

Erts
2010-10-21, 04:14 PM
Congrats Erts, you now owe Pumpkin St. Jude your soul.

Actually, 232 born kid.

Kobold-Bard
2010-10-21, 04:19 PM
Actually, 232 born kid.

Really? Wow, Roland's getting soft in his old age :smalltongue:

littlebottom
2010-10-23, 09:28 PM

oh no, Roland... people are making up new rumours about you being a psion!

just like the 100 other rumours about you:smallbiggrin:

also banan-- sorry, i mean the yellow curvy fruit, you cant say its name round these parts:smallredface:

Flickerdart
2010-10-23, 09:30 PM
Roland is actually a future psychic.

Chambers
2010-10-24, 06:11 PM
To move this more on topic...

There's a quote in a sig that I've been trying to remember as well. Don't remember the sub-forum.

The quote was something like...

wordswordswords...play a fighter.
to understand the game is to play a wizard.
to understand the game and still play a fighter is to love the game.

Anyone remember this?

Nohwl
2010-10-24, 08:04 PM
"To play a fighter is to play the game.
To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
-Lycar

and it's in jarricks signature.

Mercenary Pen
2010-10-25, 05:24 PM
I think it's the hat actually. :smalltongue:

My goodness, you're right, Roland's hat is an epic-level Psion:wink:

Of course, that still begs the question of exactly what class or combination thereof Roland is, but we now know that his hat is a Psion.

littlebottom
2010-10-25, 05:34 PM
waaaait? so that means that the mind contro-- there is no mind control,citizen. please go back to your fun is actually the hat?!

there is no mind control. i will go back to my fun.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-25, 09:43 PM
Since this thread can still be for discussion, I'd like to say I like Kish's Sig. I can't quote it but it's pretty good.

Deth Muncher
2010-10-26, 02:06 PM
My goodness, you're right, Roland's hat is an epic-level Psion:wink:

Of course, that still begs the question of exactly what class or combination thereof Roland is, but we now know that his hat is a Psion.

ATTENTION DUELISTS PLAYGROUNDERS: MY HAIR HAT GIVES ME TELEPATHY.