PDA

View Full Version : Extract Skeleton (working on name)

Starbuck_II
2010-10-20, 06:48 PM
Here is a sspell i'm developing
Extract Skeleton
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Dread Necro 3
School: Necromancy
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft. + 5 ft./level)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Calling on dark energies, you collapse the target with a green misty aura. The green seeps into the creature a moment before it is slipt in twain as a skeleton emerges from its corpsen shell. The creature didn't know how to dance the thriller.

This spell causes the body to split horribly as the skerleton instead wants out. It deals 1d6 damage/caster level (Max 12d6 at level 12) or half damage on a successful Fortitude save. Any creature killed is is instantly split in twain as a skeleton burst out of their shell under the utter command of caster. The skeleton created is from the skeleton template upon the creature (thus a ogre has a large skeleton).
These skeletons crumble to dust after 1 min/caster level.

Material Component- A small scrap of cloth taken from clothing worn by a person that was deceased.

Replicating this comic, but single person:
http://lfgcomic.com/page/9

Kuma Kode
2010-10-20, 07:16 PM
Rip out his skeleton, Richard, oh please!

I like it. It doesn't seem overpowered and could be useful to have a pet, though skeletons tend to suck unless in hoards, even when you get them.

Jarrick
2010-10-20, 09:46 PM
Ok, so I'm guessing since you're using skeleton sizes instead of a skeleton template, that this is 3.0? In that case I cant offer much, as I'm not familiar with the stats for said skeletons, except as follows:

Animate Dead is a 4th level spell for wizards/sorcs/dread necros, and this spell, which has no material component cost, works at a lower level and deals damage to boot. (Just noticed the part about them crumbling to dust:smalltongue:) This spell should probably be around 4th level, IMHO.

For the record, I love this idea, and I'll probably steal this spell for myself next time I play a necromancer.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-20, 09:51 PM
Ok, so I'm guessing since you're using skeleton sizes instead of a skeleton template, that this is 3.0? In that case I cant offer much, as I'm not familiar with the stats for said skeletons, except as follows:

Animate Dead is a 4th level spell for wizards/sorcs/dread necros, and this spell, which has no material component cost, works at a lower level and deals damage to boot. (Just noticed the part about them crumbling to dust:smalltongue:) This spell should probably be around 4th level, IMHO.

For the record, I love this idea, and I'll probably steal this spell for myself next time I play a necromancer.

No, should I make it more clear that it uses the template?

It doesn't create an army like Animate dead. It lasts 1 or 2 encounters at most (when used it and if lucky to get them to second battle before crumbling begins).

Jarrick
2010-10-20, 10:01 PM
No, should I make it more clear that it uses the template?

Couldnt hurt.

It doesn't create an army like Animate dead. It lasts 1 or 2 encounters at most (when used it and if lucky to get them to second battle before crumbling begins).

Yeah, maybe you're right. It just gets under my skin (pardon my pun) that a Dread necro can flash-animate a living creature into a skeleton 2 levels before it can do it the old-fashioned way with a corpse. Balance-wise it's about like the Warlock's "The Dead Walk" invocation which can be used at will without damage, so its probably Ok where it is. I'm not terribly great at judging spell balance though, so dont quote me on that. :smalltongue: