The Giant
2010-10-20, 06:49 PM
New comic is up.

An Enemy Spy
2010-10-20, 06:49 PM
{scrubbed}

zmasterofjersey
2010-10-20, 06:51 PM
Wow I literally just logged on, and also great comic.

EDIT: in panel 5, there appears to be a gray block below roy that isn't in any other panels, is that a mistake?

PopcornMage
I knew a job offer was coming!

And Elan's dad apparently does recognize his innuendo.

zenanarchist
Oddly closest I've ever gotten to the beginning. Also, hilarious. Caress caress caress

Blue Ghost
:smallyuk: That Belkar...

Marnath
2010-10-20, 06:52 PM
Bwahahahahaha! Belkar is on a roll. ^.^

I didn't know he could sing though.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-20, 06:52 PM
And here come the fangirls. Ah, such a shame the Crack Pairings Thread was shut down...

ScottishDragon
2010-10-20, 06:53 PM
Hah,great comic giant.I have a feeling that in a couple hundred new comics this will be a much quoted comic and many a things will be found on it from the oots quiz.

Thufir
Huh... now Belkar and Roy know about Tarquin's relationship to Elan. I can't wait to see how this turns out...

Pretty sure they already knew, that was in a Sending they got from Vaarsuvius IIRC.
They just never met him before now.

Strip is hilarious, though after reading it I sort of went "But how is the title releva- oh. :smallamused:

Jokasti
The fact that Belkar thought that up so quickly might have some... interesting reasons.
Does this mean V is male?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-20, 06:54 PM
Oh my god the comic is titled Slash attack I just realized this. *Falls over laughing*

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-20, 06:55 PM
Way to thumb your nose at crack pairings, Giant! :smallbiggrin:

Lord Loss
2010-10-20, 06:55 PM
Great comic, as always! I wonder what this will lead to...

Someone's been reading the Crack Pairings threads...

Voice of Reason
2010-10-20, 06:56 PM
Wow, Belkar's immaturity in this strip just cracks me up. But hey, that was some pretty fast thinking on his part anyways! :smallsmile:

Tobimaro
2010-10-20, 06:56 PM
Belkar turning a phrase that Elan would have used in earlier comics is pure GENIUS! :smallbiggrin:

Asthix
2010-10-20, 06:58 PM
I can officially post the same comment for two strips in a row:

Shocked!!:smalleek:

EDIT: Wait, what is the reference you guys are making to the crack pairings thread and 'Slash'? Not all of us know the inside jokes.

SPoD
2010-10-20, 07:00 PM
What I find funny here is that Belkar is actually still being helpful here. He's covering up Roy's shock that might have given away that Roy knows Elan. But of course, he can't be helpful without also taking a few digs at Roy.

FoE
:roy: Stupid sexy Elan.

Oh, I lol'ed, Giant. How I lol'ed.

Haruki-kun
Do I hear fangirls somewhere? :smalltongue:

John Cribati
2010-10-20, 07:01 PM
Oh, Giant. Your comic continues to be a beacon of hilarity in a dark, dark world.

Yana
2010-10-20, 07:02 PM
That was one of the worst jokes I've heard in a long time. And by worst, I mean "Terrible and yet hilarious at the same time". Nicely played Belkar.

Asthix
I as well laughed out loud, so I guess that's a win!

Katana_Geldar
Love all the unintentional double entendres Tarquin is making.

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 07:04 PM
EDIT: Wait, what is the reference you guys are making to the crack pairings thread and 'Slash'? Not all of us know the inside jokes.

Slash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_fiction) is a reference to fanfiction involving two same-gendered characters, as in Kirk/Spock or Buffy/Willow.

MoleMage
2010-10-20, 07:05 PM
Oh no. They're coming. I can feel the ground rumbling.

*dives under a table*

Did not expect Tarquin to have time for that what with the celebrations and all.

TheNovak
2010-10-20, 07:06 PM
{scrubbed}

Ted The Bug
2010-10-20, 07:06 PM
I honesty do not get tired of sex jokes.
Great comic! And the title...3 great ones in a row.

derfenrirwolv
2010-10-20, 07:07 PM
and Belkar reminds us all why we will miss him.

Mauve Shirt
Belkar rarely makes me laugh, but I actually did laugh out loud at this one. :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded

TvTropes warning: This is Slash fic. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlashFic) "Crack Pairing" is exactly what it sounds like. Romantically ship/write romantic fic about any and every character, whether living or inanimate. Or undead. As crazy as it sounds.

We got closed down 6 months ago after things...Got out of hand. Take a look at the crack pairing page on TvTropes, and be very thankful that we're no longer on GitP after this comic. :smallamused:

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-20, 07:10 PM
And Tarquin saying one of Elan's lines!

KoboldRevenge
2010-10-20, 07:12 PM
There's a mistake in panel 6. He says buy instead of but.

Calmness
2010-10-20, 07:13 PM
So that's the reason Roy likes his greatsword so much....

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-20, 07:15 PM
So that's the reason Roy likes his greatsword so much....

We always knew he was hot for the seventh member of the team.

ThePhantasm
2010-10-20, 07:16 PM
This is all great and all I guess, but now even I am thinking "Let's get the gladiator combat going already!" And I'm usually plotline patient...

Xsesiv
2010-10-20, 07:18 PM
Nobody knows who I am, but in panel 6 Tarquin says "buy" instead of "but".

...Helping, helping...:smallsmile:

Belsirk
2010-10-20, 07:19 PM
i just can say: NEAT! Impresionante , simplemente excelente las bromas de doble sentido...

AgentofOdd
2010-10-20, 07:19 PM
Um, so why not just blurt out the General look like an older version of his teamate/friend? Can't hurt to tell your enslaver you might know his family member no? :smallconfused:

EDIT: I suppose in Roy's mind such data might impede the Order sice the General may be compelled to look for the man who looks like a possible long lost son. Belkar was just itching to call Roy gay of course.

jackal59
2010-10-20, 07:22 PM
I'm guessing this comic is in recognition of today being the day that many people are wearing purple to call attention to the deaths of six youths who committed suicide after they were bullied or harassed because they were gay or were thought to be gay (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-10-19-gay-teens-purple_N.htm).

Right?

Edited to add: To be clear, I do think this is funny (well, it may be a little forced, but it's still funny). Good timing is a lot of humor, though, and I don't think the timing of this is good. I assume that wasn't intentional, but intentions aren't always everything.

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-20, 07:24 PM
No, the gays that were in the death camps wore purple triangles, and the colour is worn by many as a show of solidarity.

theinsulabot
2010-10-20, 07:27 PM
or maybe its just a comic

Orzel
2010-10-20, 07:30 PM
Never tired of the sex jokes. And Belkar is awesome as usual.

Assassin89
2010-10-20, 07:42 PM
Another humorous comic. I wonder what would happen if Roy had to fight Tarquin. Maybe he would once again unleash his anger against someone who looks like Elan.

Marnath
2010-10-20, 07:43 PM
or maybe its just a comic

This... Seriously, not everything is a reference.

Defiant
2010-10-20, 07:44 PM
I just love the contrast between acting all macho military dictator, and then going "What? Do I have something on my face?" :smallbiggrin:

Talyn
2010-10-20, 07:46 PM
Hehehehehehehehe... I just giggled for about 5 minutes straight.

No pun intended.

Cerlis
2010-10-20, 07:47 PM
I'm guessing this comic is in recognition of today being the day that many people are wearing purple to call attention to the deaths of six youths who committed suicide after they were bullied or harassed because they were gay or were thought to be gay (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-10-19-gay-teens-purple_N.htm).

Right?

Edited to add: To be clear, I do think this is funny (well, it may be a little forced, but it's still funny). Good timing is a lot of humor, though, and I don't think the timing of this is good. I assume that wasn't intentional, but intentions aren't always everything.

I've been seeing facebook messages about people wearing this color or that (mostly purple) for the past week. didnt realize there was a specific day.

Coincidence

RS14
2010-10-20, 07:50 PM
No, the gays that were in the death camps wore purple triangles, and the colour is worn by many as a show of solidarity.

Pink triangles. Purple was Jehova's Witnesses. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_concentration_camp_badges)

Lateral
2010-10-20, 07:51 PM
Eww...

Great comic, uncomfortableness with topic notwithstanding.

Shpadoinkle
2010-10-20, 07:56 PM
The fact that Belkar thought that up so quickly might have some... interesting reasons.
Does this mean V is male?

Well, Belkar DOES have the "Craft Disturbing Mental Image" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0249.html) feat.

MammonAzrael
2010-10-20, 07:56 PM
Oh, that made me smile. Thanks for cheering up my day. :smallsmile:

Crisis21
2010-10-20, 08:08 PM
I took 10d10 pun damage when I realized how the title related to the comic.

I need a res now. :smalltongue:

Seriously great comic and a fantastic way for Roy to meet Tarquin. Fast thinking on Belkar's part too.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-20, 08:09 PM
Yes, that kind of love...

Well, Belkar DOES have the "Craft Disturbing Mental Image" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0249.html) feat.
Dangit, was going to mention that.

Steal my spotlight will ya...

Tanngrisnr
The funniest strip ever! Ever!

Vim
Can't talk. Laughing.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-10-20, 08:10 PM
Awesome job! Love the comic.

Sylthia
2010-10-20, 08:11 PM
Great Comic! I'm surprised that Tarquin didn't catch on to the fact that Roy knew Elan, being as genre savy as he is, although maybe he did and is going to use it to his benefit later somehow.

Kaytara
2010-10-20, 08:15 PM
Belkar's putting his "Craft Disturbing Image" to good use.XD

Most hilarious update in some time. :D To me, anyway. I suppose I love character-based jokes - and jokes based on characters acknowledging each other's wackiness, for that matter. XD

tcrudisi
2010-10-20, 08:19 PM
Oh gods, this one made me chuckle several times. It was a very, very good comic. Thank you so much, Giant!

Detrinex
2010-10-20, 08:19 PM
Roy and Belkar both knew that Elan was a guest of the government, and could guess that Tarquin was high ranking, AND related to him. Why not spout it out and say, get your armor back?

Blackdog
2010-10-20, 08:20 PM
I just love the contrast between acting all macho military dictator, and then going "What? Do I have something on my face?" :smallbiggrin:

Hehe, I think it's a callback to this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html)!

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-20, 08:24 PM
Hah. Belkar both entertains and disgusts me.

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 08:28 PM
Roy and Belkar both knew that Elan was a guest of the government, and could guess that Tarquin was high ranking, AND related to him. Why not spout it out and say, get your armor back?

Roy is probably as suspicious in his way as Haley, at least regarding Tarquin. And he doesn't want to rock the boat. It was his idea to reject a jailbreak. Rushing the time-table isn't going to change that.

Belkar's pleased at the thought of fighting.

Hardcore
2010-10-20, 08:29 PM
I bet Rich very much enjoyed making this strip.

But I still don't get why they could not tell the truth. Except of course we would miss the gladiator fight.

TimeWizard
2010-10-20, 08:42 PM
Oh my god the comic is titled Slash attack I just realized this. *Falls over laughing*

He just HAD to call it that, didn't he. That's gonna be in my head... no not like that! THis is the first time I've ever said it, but Damn You Rich!

I'm going to go do some hetero things, like work out and oil my muscles...

dammit

Forum Explorer
2010-10-20, 08:53 PM
No really why wouldn't he just say "Hey you look just like my missing friend Elan!" I mean its not like he would have to tell him anything else besides he know Elan and it would be a good test of Tarquin. Also it seemed like a good oppurtunity to get their weapons back and not have to kill an innocent prisoner.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-20, 08:54 PM
No really why wouldn't he just say "Hey you look just like my missing friend Elan!" I mean its not like he would have to tell him anything else besides he know Elan and it would be a good test of Tarquin. Also it seemed like a good oppurtunity to get their weapons back and not have to kill an innocent prisoner.

Then he probably would've asked Elan and Haley to either break him out, or request to Tarquin to have him released.
This is so not what I was expecting when I saw the title.

Warren Dew
2010-10-20, 09:02 PM
What I find funny here is that Belkar is actually still being helpful here.

It's "helpful" to keep Roy in the gladiatorial games rather than allow him to be released as a friend of Elan?

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 09:03 PM

Elan and Haley still haven't gotten the information the group needs, and Roy doesn't want to rock the boat. And while it might have been a nice test, they weren't expecting to meet him, so they didn't think about it.

Gift Jeraff
2010-10-20, 09:11 PM
Dammit, Giant, why are you going to make miss the little twerp? I mean, I don't think he's leaving us in the arena, but I know when he goes it's for [the] good. :smallfrown:

Anywho, funniest strip in awhile and Rich is on a role with great title puns. :smallcool:

EDIT: Roy can probably make the connection that Tarquin is Evil and thinks that by mentioning their relation to Elan he will blackmail Haley & co. (Well, considers the possibility; he's logical but not paranoid like Haley.)

Cerlis
2010-10-20, 09:12 PM
and there is the little oh so tincy detail that....

current: Tarquin has no way to motivate Roy to fight other than threatening Roy's life.

If he knew they where allies: Suddenly Tarquin has 3 hostages (not including the info, which he could hold hostage instead of risking taking the OotS hostage) to make Roy fight. Hell he's probably smart enough to just use the info as hostage to force roy, though Cliche' (the mighty god of Stories) to guide him into taking the OotS hostage.

HUMVEE Driver
2010-10-20, 09:23 PM
Great, there are kids committing suicide over their closet homosexuality and we get Belkar making gay jokes.

Not the OOTS's finest hour.

Psyren
2010-10-20, 09:26 PM
This is perhaps the gayest issue I've ever read.

AND I LOVE IT!!! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Santiago
2010-10-20, 10:10 PM
BEST

COMIC

YET!

Thank you Giant, you made my night!!!!

Half-orc Bard
2010-10-20, 10:11 PM
Great, there are kids committing suicide over their closet homosexuality and we get Belkar making gay jokes.

Wasn't today the day when people were supposed to wear purple to honor the LGBTAQ youths who were suicidal?

Knaight
2010-10-20, 10:13 PM

Belkar is known to be scum, aiming for political correctness with his statements is pointless.

Skeletor
2010-10-20, 10:17 PM
Very funny joke in the comic title.

Dancing_Fox
2010-10-20, 10:25 PM
Why is Tarquin at the the arena at all?

Surely he should be out doing some general-ly stuff. He's just spent a whole day with Elan - why would he find time to watch the pre-fight trials? Why?

Did something that the others say tip him off to go looking?

Co-incidence?

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 10:31 PM
Why is Tarquin at the the arena at all?

The implication seems to be that he's scouting out the talent. Perhaps the Warden told him "You should go check out this fighter, he's hot stuff!" and well, Tarquin did.

glissle
2010-10-20, 10:33 PM
Something's been bugging me about this idea that Roy's in big trouble because he doesn't want to kill.

Isn't it the case that in D&D 3.5, you can take someone toward unconsciousness with nonlethal damage (using any melee weapon) at the expense of taking a -4 to the to-hit roll? At Roy's level, even with that handicap he should still be more than a match for most of the combatants.

He also has the option of sundering his opponents' weapons, which would have the benefit of making the others more likely to deal nonlethal damage to each other, since an unarmed strike usually suffers a -4 to do lethal damage.

If he's in big trouble, it's because Enor's in the arena. Roy should hit him with deadly accuracy and count on Enor's narrative armor to keep him alive.

Of course, if Roy is the last one standing but others are unconscious, then there will be a dramatic scene where Tarquin has to decide whether to order them and/or Roy to be executed. But somehow I just don't see all the unconscious prisoners being slaughtered.

Possible strategy for someone with a good Bluff check:
1. Observe whether anyone is bothering to finish off the combatants who are rendered unconscious due to a combination of nonlethal and lethal damage.
2. If not, pretend to be knocked unconscious. This could be done conspiratorially.
3. When the sounds of combat die down a bit (and coup de grace becomes a bigger danger), get up and face fewer opponents. If two or more prisoners agree to do this together, then hopefully the death sounds of one will warn the other if the plan isn't working.

Le Piaf
2010-10-20, 10:33 PM
Hehe, I think it's a callback to this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html)!

wow, you are fast!

HonoreDB
2010-10-20, 10:37 PM
C'mon, it's a gay joke, but it's not a homophobic joke. Roy was fine with pretending to be attracted to a dude, he just hates the idea of being attracted to Elan.

Questa
2010-10-20, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by HUMVEE Driver

I don't think it portrayed homosexuality badly--the characters seemed to regard it as being fine, it was just that Roy (a heterosexual) did not want to get mistaken for being gay, which is a common sentiment among straight males, whatever their stance on gay rights (from what I've seen--straight girl, and proving our heterosexuality seems to be less of a "thing" with us). But I don't believe that this implied it would be bad if Roy were gay. Belkar was just saying such things to make him uncomfortable, as Belkar is wont to do. And, as already mentioned, Belkar is not politically correct. He is also chaotic evil. He probably hates bunnies and puppy-dogs (although he does have a fondness for cats).

I was happy to have a comic today! And very close to the last one, too; it was unexpected. Still not sure why they had decided to keep their identity secret from Tarquin--I expect that shall be explained at a later date. You'd think that Tarquin, in all his genre-saviness, would be suspicious about the circumstances (surprise, blond hair, twenty years younger) but it seems the story dictates he should not be, and perhaps he is genre savvy enough to realize it. Wow...that'd be meta-genre savvy.

I intended to edit to add the "view post" option in the quote, but was unable to figure out how.If anyone could point me to a thread for markup help, I would be very grateful :)

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-20, 10:49 PM
The implication seems to be that he's scouting out the talent. Perhaps the Warden told him "You should go check out this fighter, he's hot stuff!" and well, Tarquin did.

And as there's a war on soon in the Empire of Tears...

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 10:59 PM
I intended to edit to add the "view post" option in the quote, but was unable to figure out how.If anyone could point me to a thread for markup help, I would be very grateful :)

You have to link to the correct post in the quote tag. Use a ; after the name.

For example, it looks like this in my edit pane:

Questa;9597996

Beelzebub1111
2010-10-20, 11:09 PM
Hooray for Yaoi Subtext!

Pronounceable
2010-10-20, 11:46 PM
Belkster is on a roll. So is the Giant.

Red XIV
2010-10-20, 11:48 PM
Belkar, I think you may have upped the odds of Roy being the one to kill you. :smalltongue:

Petrocorus
2010-10-20, 11:52 PM
I really like this comic.

And the use of Craft Disturbing Mental image by Belkar was awesome.

Squeejee
2010-10-21, 12:02 AM
It's been awhile since I laughed out loud at a page, but this one did me in! Nice update~

MonkeyBusiness
2010-10-21, 12:05 AM
:roy: Great. Six years of schooling have qualified me to fight to the death on the whims of another.

:belkar: Actually, that's pretty common in the current economic climate.

... That's funny because it's true. Substitute "work to death" for "fight to the death" and you've described the corporate workplace in a single sentence.

tassaron
2010-10-21, 12:13 AM
People saying it's insensitive because of the date should realize 1) that the date isn't actually tied to the comic after the initial release, so it's not part of the joke; 2) that this is almost certainly a coincidence; and 3) that the comic isn't even homophobic in the slightest. Even Belkar says that Roy and himself are gay, which is hardly the attitude a homophobe would have.

If I was offended every time someone made an innuendo about my sexuality, I wouldn't have any friends. This applies to any orientation. :s

(This is probably my favourite page of the new book so far, by the way. :smallbiggrin:)

Boogastreehouse
2010-10-21, 12:15 AM

Kind of a melodramatic reaction, I think. It's been long established that Belkar is comfortable with his sexuality, doesn't care one way or the other about anyone's orientation, and is more than happy to use topics like this to make Roy squirm with awkwardness.

This strip is no different than this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0244.html) and neither of these comics are vilifying homosexual behavior in the slightest. What they are doing is making fun of Roy for being a little uncomfortable.

Elusieum
2010-10-21, 12:24 AM
Loved it! Oh, Belkar! I read the title first, thinking, "hehe, slash, that could be interpreted wrongly," then I read the comic. Awesome.

Though, I think there may be a typo in panel #6. Tarquin says, "Well, thank you very much BUY I'm soon to be married." Should it say, "but"?

CWater
2010-10-21, 12:43 AM
LOL:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Haven't laughed like this in a while! Awesome comic!

DrGonzo
2010-10-21, 01:16 AM
Nice one giant!

JonestheSpy
2010-10-21, 01:23 AM
It's been awhile since I laughed out loud at a page, but this one did me in! Nice update~

Likewise. Totally out-loud guffaws, 'Omigod that's hilarious' snorting going on here.

Ranylyn
2010-10-21, 01:51 AM
:belkar: That's what HE said!

Adeptus
2010-10-21, 02:06 AM
So cute! And Belkar is having way too much fun :smallamused:

St Fan
2010-10-21, 02:37 AM
Oh boy, that was comedy gold. I had to stop reading after Belkar's first gay quip to return a few minutes later, so that I could laugh again at the rest of the strip.

Whatever you think about Belkar, he's definitely the funniest thing in the whole comic. Not the only funny thing like he seems to believe, but definitively the funniest.

And damn, 4 pages of comments for a strip that just spawned? Are you guys on the lookout 24/24?

Edit: An a third LOL 'cause I had missed the title. Damn you, Giant, I'm at work! My coworkers are going to start giving me weird looks...

Anterean
2010-10-21, 02:56 AM
Belkar rarely does this, but today he really cracked me up.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-21, 03:26 AM
You just recaptured the (joint) no 1 comic spot for me. <3
I'm putting that in my signature.

squidbreath
2010-10-21, 03:42 AM

well of course he can! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-10-21, 03:50 AM
Thank you, Gigante! :smalltongue:

Garwain
2010-10-21, 03:51 AM
Yes, I have to add. This one is a winner.

Niknokitueu
2010-10-21, 03:57 AM
Even though to my mind this particular comic sails far too close to the wind, I must say it is one of the funniest I have read in a while.

OotS: Made of Win!

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu
ps. Do you like to watch Gladiator films...? (heh heh)

Taekwondodo
2010-10-21, 04:11 AM
Funniest comic in a while! Yay Giant!!

faustin
2010-10-21, 04:45 AM
"Do you want to get hit with the big stick again?" .... very thanks Roy, now we have material for the Crack-pairing section for a week.

Leo_Forestclaw
2010-10-21, 05:41 AM
Hooo Boy!

*wiping laugh educed tear*

I'm not sure which I find more disturbing the idea of Roy/Elan or Roy/Tarquin fanfic.

Either way, I'm sure someone is writing it and/or filming it for upload on a torrent near you.

Hydro
2010-10-21, 06:04 AM
Okay, yea, that WAS pretty good.
"No, no, don't be embarrassed, I get this all the time."

Dr.Epic
2010-10-21, 06:14 AM
Tee-Hee! Good jokes Belkar!

ThunderCat
2010-10-21, 06:48 AM
Best strip in a while, and that's saying something :smallbiggrin:

Lvl45DM!
2010-10-21, 06:48 AM
I could use men like you under me:smallbiggrin:
:smallconfused:
and now i realise that maybe that's not the best turn of phrase either:smalleek:

It take real talent to make gay jokes actually funny without just being childish
I salute you Giant

Liwen
2010-10-21, 06:59 AM
And damn, 4 pages of comments for a strip that just spawned? Are you guys on the lookout 24/24?

Yes, they are. It's like world boss camping in a MMO. It's an elaborate network and everyone sends text messages and twitter updates whenever the guys on watch spot a new update. People actually put 'Member of the OotS update watch team' on their resume when they apply to the CIA, FBI and such. It's known as one of the most efficient intelligence network in the world after all.

Great strip today! Oh Belkar, how sad that you have to die sooner or later. Even if, at the current pace the comic is advancing, it might take several real years still!. We can only hope.

Barstro
2010-10-21, 07:06 AM
Anyone one else get the impression that Elan's dad has a personality change when he dons his helmet? It seems to be more than just "I'm wearing a helmet, I'm going to talk this way now" kind of thing. He might possess the legendary One Helmet.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-21, 07:09 AM
Yes, they are. It's like world boss camping in a MMO. It's an elaborate network and everyone sends text messages and twitter updates whenever the guys on watch spot a new update. People actually put 'Member of the OotS update watch team' on their resume when they apply to the CIA, FBI and such. It's known as one of the most efficient intelligence network in the world after all.
I want this to be true so badly. :(

Strife Warzeal
2010-10-21, 07:15 AM
"Do you want to get hit with the big stick again?" .... very thanks Roy, now we have material for the Crack-pairing section for a week.

That's more than a weeks worth, at least 2-3 weeks, minimum

Lix Lorn
2010-10-21, 07:18 AM
That's more than a weeks worth, at least 2-3 weeks, minimum
You weren't here when that thread was open. This is why we can forgive you for thinking that. :smallamused::smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Kgw
2010-10-21, 07:19 AM
That's the reason I usually comment in the Facebook page. Less competence...

EDIT: oh, maybe I use the "OotS update watch team" in my next CV...

Arrowstorm122
2010-10-21, 07:24 AM

he singed back in Azure City while Nale had Charmed him.
huh, i guess Belkar really didnt cared about Roy kicking his butt. oh well, Revenge is sweaty and tasty. :smalltongue:

137beth
2010-10-21, 07:25 AM
:roy: Great. Six years of schooling have qualified me to fight to the death on the whims of another.

... That's funny because it's true. Substitute "work to death" for "fight to the death" and you've described the corporate workplace in a single sentence.

This proves that a corporation is a lawful evil dictatorship:smallsmile:
Great comic!

Liwen
2010-10-21, 07:49 AM
I want this to be true so badly. :(

It is! But don't tell anyone. Intelligence Networks like to keep things quiet.

Asthix
2010-10-21, 08:08 AM
Possible strategy for someone with a good Bluff check:
1. Observe whether anyone is bothering to finish off the combatants who are rendered unconscious due to a combination of nonlethal and lethal damage.
2. If not, pretend to be knocked unconscious. This could be done conspiratorially.
3. When the sounds of combat die down a bit (and coup de grace becomes a bigger danger), get up and face fewer opponents. If two or more prisoners agree to do this together, then hopefully the death sounds of one will warn the other if the plan isn't working.

Now you're thinking like an old man in prison!

Scorpions__
2010-10-21, 08:09 AM
New comic is up.

In panel six there is a spelling mistake, it says 'buy' when it should say 'but.'

DM[F]R

Damaris
2010-10-21, 08:23 AM
Whoo! My OTP is now canon!

... in Belkar's head.

Sijo
2010-10-21, 09:02 AM
Great, Gays-in-the-military jokes now. OK, they're topical these days I guess, but I've had enough with the "gladiator movies" gay references.

Good thing I stopped reading Belkar's dialog a long time ago. Guess what I discovered? A) it isn't necessary for the story (you could kill him off right now and nothing would change) and b) I enjoy the strip much more that way. :smallamused:

HandofShadows
2010-10-21, 09:36 AM
The Giant has gone around the bend because of the Crack Pairings thread, hasn't he. Either that or it's his way of getting revenge on the posters in that thread. But still fuuuuunnny.

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-10-21, 09:41 AM
This joke really isn't about homosexuality. It's about how Belkar likes to make Roy feel uncomfortable. We've seen before how easy it is to upset Roy by calling his masculinity into question. Belkar made similar jokes when Roy lost his trouser titan to the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity.

revenge256
2010-10-21, 09:42 AM
By identifying Tarquin as Elan's dad... did Belkar just make a successful Spot Check?

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-21, 09:51 AM
Great, Gays-in-the-military jokes now. OK, they're topical these days I guess, but I've had enough with the "gladiator movies" gay references.

"So, Tommy, do like movies about gladiators?"

Blaznak
2010-10-21, 09:52 AM
Funniest Strip In A Long Time (FSIALT).

I really Belkar doing his best to provoke Roy. Too funny.

(There is a typo, btw, with the word "buy" in panel 6 should be "but")

Later!

Scarlet Knight
2010-10-21, 10:15 AM

Welcome to life as a mercenary, Roy.

Come to think of it, I'm suprised Belkar didn't jump at the offer. Oh, right. Forgot that he likes the life of a gladiator better.

joela
2010-10-21, 10:22 AM

Good point. Hilarious! :smallbiggrin:

Wizzardman
2010-10-21, 10:37 AM
...Okay, this comic was pretty awesome. Thanks, Giant. You've made my day.

Kiranvonstrom
2010-10-21, 10:56 AM
By identifying Tarquin as Elan's dad... did Belkar just make a successful Spot Check?
I believe some inferno in the Abyss may have frozen over. Oh, my.
Oh, and has there ever been any 'political content' before (barring a cameo by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson's obituary) ? Because I think we could probably cite precident to say it probably wasn't politically/socially aimed...

ThunderCat
2010-10-21, 11:02 AM
What's with people getting upset about this episode :smallconfused:? The joke is about certain people being uncomfortable with homosexuality, not homosexuals themselves. And it's been done before plenty of time, like the incident with the girdle of masculinity/femininity that's been mentioned before, and Nale's "Must...resist...urge to assert...heterosexuality" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0365.html), not to mention the many cracks on Varsuvius's gender identity and the implications of Haley showing V her round, flawless...... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html).

And yes, being uncomfortable or embarrassed with being mistaken for a gay guy (or a straight woman), and turning lesbianism into a sexual stimulant for straight guys, can have unfortunate consequences if taken far enough. But on the other hand, we also have Haley hiding her treasure under the guise of feminine products, the guys staring at her while she searches for traps, and the talk about sexual harassment in regards to both Haley and Miko (I'm too lazy to find the links).

There are a lot of people, men especially, who dismiss various cases of sexism, some of them serious, as all being the product of hypersensitive and irrational women looking for excuses to get offended, and who feel women are using their sex (like Haley did) to get away with things they shouldn't. And those attitudes can also lead to hostility against those of the feminine persuasion. But despite the jokes, I've never gotten the impression that the comic condones such attitudes, quite the contrary.

All in all, I think the Giant does a good job of joking about these things without encouraging the same attitudes in real life. He keeps it on reasonable level, doesn't target one group specifically, and the jokes dealing with prejudices and stereotypes are far more more likely to attack the prejudices and stereotypes themselves than the people who're subjected to them. In this case, the joke wasn't making fun of gays, but rather how Belkar (who has previously stated being comfortable enough with his own sexuality to not be embarrassed) manages to get under the skin of a rather prudish Roy. And all the sexual innuendo of course, but that happens between women and men too :smallamused:

calar
2010-10-21, 11:11 AM
Yet further proof that Belkar, is in fact, the funniest thing in this comic. :smallamused:

Adeptus
2010-10-21, 11:43 AM

Somebody help a square boy out with this one :durkon: What's the reference?

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-21, 12:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_fiction

ThunderCat
2010-10-21, 12:15 PM
Somebody help a square boy out with this one :durkon: What's the reference?Warning, tvtropes link: Slash fic (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlashFic). As in Roy/Elan.

HandofShadows
2010-10-21, 12:16 PM

The term "Slash" becaem used because of (X rated) paring of characters (ussually of the same gender) being posted with a "/" between them. For example "Gary/Bob".

Marnath
2010-10-21, 12:33 PM

Belkar is an unredeemable jerk, remember?

well of course he can! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html

...I can't believe I forgot about that. I only reread the comic two months ago. :smallsigh:

:smalleek: Holy crap, you're right! Never thought I'd see that.

Callista
2010-10-21, 12:39 PM
Hehe... Roy apparently isn't any more comfortable with being mistaken for gay than he is being mistaken for female! Sooner or later, adventuring with the OOTS, he's going to have to lighten up or he's going to end up permanently embarrassed!

Adventurer
2010-10-21, 01:24 PM
These may well be the first gay jokes that actually made me laugh out loud:smallbiggrin:

LOL, good point!

AgentofOdd
2010-10-21, 01:43 PM
What's with people getting upset about this episode :smallconfused:?From the looks of things, there's more people getting upset over people getting upset, than people bothered by the comic. But that's as per usual so meh.

Tundar
2010-10-21, 01:49 PM
Oh man, this is one of the funniest strips for quite some time. And that's not because the previous ones were dull, that's for sure!

AlfredAmeoba
2010-10-21, 02:51 PM
When did Belkar turn into a teenager?

Hydro
2010-10-21, 03:00 PM
From the looks of things, there's more people getting upset over people getting upset, than people bothered by the comic. But that's as per usual so meh.

Ha! Yea, fair enough.

I don't think you can say that the joke 'isn't about gays', nor that it doesn't touch on some ideologically problematic issues. It does kind of suck that most references to homosexuality in fiction and media take the form of straight people making fun of each other (Ha ha, you're gay! Which is obviously bad and embarrassing!) What you can say is that Rich's stuff has generally been intelligent and self-aware; i.e, he recognizes his lead character's fixation on his own (hetero-normative) manliness and even has other characters poke fun at him for it, rather than just presenting that as the way all non-gay males should feel.

What you can also say is that it is just a joke, executed in good fun without any sort of mean or judgmental overtones. And it WAS a really great joke. Tarquin's smug nonchalantness is what really made it for me; definitely one of my favorite characters at present.

Hydro
2010-10-21, 03:01 PM
When did Belkar turn into a teenager?

At 13.

The problem is that a.) 13 year old halflings act like ten year old humans and b.) he never really stopped being one.

JonestheSpy
2010-10-21, 03:13 PM
I rather think that Roy wasn't reacting to any poking fun at his manliness so much as the fact that Belkar was casting Elan as the subject of his erotic fantasies.

Hydro
2010-10-21, 03:28 PM
Oh yea, totally; even if Elan and Tarquin were girls the implication would probably still set Roy off. Albeit not to the same degree, I imagine. Belkar managed to hit both buttons at once there.

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 03:38 PM
So who wants some Aristocrats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aristocrats_%28joke%29) to appear soon? Maybe they'll be Acrobats?

ThunderCat
2010-10-21, 03:48 PM
I don't think you can say that the joke 'isn't about gays', nor that it doesn't touch on some ideologically problematic issues.Here I have to disagree. I'm a woman, and more than that, I'm a female geek and have experienced more than my share of sexism. And yet, when people joke about men who're afraid of being girly, I don't find it offensive or problematic, because it's not mocking me, it's mocking a type of men who need to be mocked.

Yes, I could choose to say that the perception that female traits are somehow below (and thus shameful for) the exalted group of individuals known as 'men' is a problematic issue that shouldn't be joked with, but instead, I find that joking about these guys is very helpful. It's hard to feel inferior, or wonder if all those statements about women being weak and irrational have a grain of truth to them, when you keep in mind that a good deal of the very same people who keep saying these things also experience castration-anxiety at the thought of holding a woman's purse or buying tampons.

Roy being uncomfortable with being thought of as female or gay, and being hit on by men, is not a joke about gays or women to me, it's a joke about his squeamishness. This is especially underlined because most other characters don't seem to share it. Honestly, I think that not joking about (certain) straight guys' squeamishness at the thought of being mistaken for gay, or female, is much worse than the alternative.

Hydro
2010-10-21, 04:10 PM
Here I have to disagree. I'm a woman, and more than that, I'm a female geek and have experienced more than my share of sexism. And yet, when people joke about men who're afraid of being girly, I don't find it offensive or problematic, because it's not mocking me, it's mocking a type of men who need to be mocked.

It isn't really mocking anything when it is presented as normal (i.e, as the way 'any man' would react). This is by no means the case here, mind you- Roy is a distinct character and his somewhat-fragile manliness is presented as a quirk which lends him depth- but it can be.

You really can't even call it a matter of "authorial intent", because authors don't always HAVE intent here. They just make the joke without really thinking about what joke they're making. Likewise, you're not always reading the same joke as those around you; while some might see humor in the "manly man's" reaction, others see the reaction as the normal part and find humor in the "silliness" of homosexuality.

That's why I say it "touches on" some problematic issues; there's no harm and no foul here, at all, but I think these things are worth thinking about.

Tira-chan
2010-10-21, 04:19 PM
The fact that I actually have written Roy/Elan, with the premise that Roy is uncomfortably attracted to his teammate, makes this strip one of my favorites, threatening to replace Ninja Girl and Bard Boy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0562.html).

I really don't think that Roy has a problem with Belkar implying he's gay; it's only when he starts in on Roy being attracted to Elan that he gets angry.

albis
2010-10-21, 04:20 PM
I have only one thing to say about the newest comic:

Belkar, you ass! XD

...I think poor Roy is scarred for life there. *tries to act sympathetic even though not 10 minutes ago could be found rolling on the floor laughing maniacally*

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 04:30 PM
That's why I say it "touches on" some problematic issues; there's no harm and no foul here, at all, but I think these things are worth thinking about.

Absolutely! Just because you don't see why somebody's upset, or because you think they're overreacting, is no reason to either write them off, or worse.

Comedy is tricky, you can give offense without trying, and if you aren't prepared to accept that, you're in the wrong business.

ThunderCat
2010-10-21, 04:42 PM
It isn't really mocking anything when it is presented as normal (i.e, as the way 'any man' would react). This is by no means the case here, mind you- Roy is a distinct character and his somewhat-fragile manliness is presented as a quirk which lends him depth- but it can be.Of course, I just don't see it being the case here. It's not so much writing people off as wondering why, of all things, this is what they choose to remark on. The strip was by far one of the least offensive ways of dealing with the issue, because, as we both agree, it's presented as Roy's (and Nale's) particular quirk. Not to mention being one of the funniest episodes in a long time :smallbiggrin:

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 04:51 PM
It's the most recent, and as such most attention attracting.

That's better, I think, than somebody making a post in general about the issue, as it just means it poked the scab today, but isn't a festering wound.

Juggling Goth
2010-10-21, 04:55 PM
I don't think you can say that the joke 'isn't about gays', nor that it doesn't touch on some ideologically problematic issues. It does kind of suck that most references to homosexuality in fiction and media take the form of straight people making fun of each other (Ha ha, you're gay! Which is obviously bad and embarrassing!) What you can say is that Rich's stuff has generally been intelligent and self-aware; i.e, he recognizes his lead character's fixation on his own (hetero-normative) manliness and even has other characters poke fun at him for it, rather than just presenting that as the way all non-gay males should feel.

What you can also say is that it is just a joke, executed in good fun without any sort of mean or judgmental overtones. And it WAS a really great joke. Tarquin's smug nonchalantness is what really made it for me; definitely one of my favorite characters at present.

Quoted the whole thing for truth. Well said.

Cos I found this funny, and I found it a bit uncomfortable. And you've done best at explaining why.

Crusher
2010-10-21, 05:13 PM
Awesome, awesome strip and probably the best in some time.

You know, I had kinda settled in my head that OotS had kinda fallen into a rut of mediocrity starting... hmm, not sure exactly when. It cropped up initially during "Don't Split the Party" though that arc actually ended up really solid. Maybe the middle of story arcs seem to drag a little, which I guess is natural.

Anyway, I'd been of the mindset that things were a little slow (maybe its just the pace of the comics themselves), but this strip was really superb and in fact the last few have been quite good as well.

El Dorado
2010-10-21, 06:12 PM
Delightful!

Prospekt
2010-10-21, 06:17 PM
I enjoyed it. And I found it funny as well. Internet != serious business

Sijo
2010-10-21, 06:27 PM
The fact that I actually have written Roy/Elan, with the premise that Roy is uncomfortably attracted to his teammate, makes this strip one of my favorites, threatening to replace Ninja Girl and Bard Boy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0562.html).

Wow, that brings back memories... of much, much better jokes in OOTS. See that's what I miss: creativity rather than going for the cheap, dirty laugh. Belkar making fun of Roy's sexuality just doesn't work for me. (But as I said, I don't read Belkar's dialog anyway so I was barely bothered.) Can't wait for this whole "Homage to Homoerotic Gladiator Movies" phase to be over, though.:smallsigh:

Ted The Bug
2010-10-21, 07:22 PM

In my opinion, the fact that there are gay jokes is just fine. If anything, it shows that it's just another aspect of who someone is that can be parodied. Nowhere does it say that being gay is wrong or evil, the joke is that since Roy isn't gay (and tends to defend his 'masculinity' overzealously), making him the butt of gay jokes it funny. If there were a homosexual character, that would be a different story. There have been many innuendos involving straight sex (see: Belkar during the entire Roy is a woman arc), and simply making the jokes about two men of the same sex is, if anything, validating a gay lifestyle as a perfectly acceptable alternative to a straight one. My gay friends feel completely comfortable making fun of themselves for being gay, and of me for being straight.
If you can make straight jokes, choosing not to make gay jokes would, if anything, continue the illusion that being gay is somehow less valid than being straight. Roy is very into his stereotypical masculinity, and when it is implied by Belkar that he would be gay--for Elan, of all people--it's more of a joke about Roy than anyone else. Hell, this wouldn't even be funny if Belkar were saying this to Durkon or Elan, because it wouldn't clash with their personality.
tl;dr: Being gay is just as valid as being straight. Making jokes regarding straightness while refusing to have fun with gay innuendos mocking an overly-macho character would be the same as saying that being born homosexual just isn't as 'normal' and 'right' as being straight. And besides, I'm pretty sure that I remember one of the early admins as being gay. One of the best solutions for fighting homophobia is showing the world that being gay is just as normal and acceptable as the alternative.
/rant
edit: Just read ThunderCat's response to the issue. I agree with her, and she expresses the point way better than I do.

Jolly Steve
2010-10-21, 07:59 PM

They wore pink triangles (hence this being a gay symbol now). Purple triangles were worn by Jehovah's Witnesses.

source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_triangle).

StClair
2010-10-21, 08:11 PM
Belkar: Still A Bastard. :)

Ranylyn
2010-10-21, 08:53 PM
Here I have to disagree. I'm a woman, and more than that, I'm a female geek and have experienced more than my share of sexism. And yet, when people joke about men who're afraid of being girly, I don't find it offensive or problematic, because it's not mocking me, it's mocking a type of men who need to be mocked.

Yes, I could choose to say that the perception that female traits are somehow below (and thus shameful for) the exalted group of individuals known as 'men' is a problematic issue that shouldn't be joked with, but instead, I find that joking about these guys is very helpful. It's hard to feel inferior, or wonder if all those statements about women being weak and irrational have a grain of truth to them, when you keep in mind that a good deal of the very same people who keep saying these things also experience castration-anxiety at the thought of holding a woman's purse or buying tampons.

Roy being uncomfortable with being thought of as female or gay, and being hit on by men, is not a joke about gays or women to me, it's a joke about his squeamishness. This is especially underlined because most other characters don't seem to share it. Honestly, I think that not joking about (certain) straight guys' squeamishness at the thought of being mistaken for gay, or female, is much worse than the alternative.

As a man who is comfortable with being somewhat feminine but still straight, I agree. Men have this huge issue with image, they want to be seen as "manly." However, in my own humble opinion, a real man has the guts to stand up and say "I am who I am, and I don't give a damn what you think about it!"

Heck, my voice alone sets off gaydars everywhere. My fiancee's mother is convinced I'll leave her for a man. It just so happens that something happened when my tonsils were removed at a young age, my voice got squeaky, and never quite dropped fully. Gay men ask me out all the time, more than I thought lived in my city, but you know? I'm okay with it. I'm in love with a woman who loves me for who I am, and that's all I need to be happy.

Hey, that's not to say I'm not burly or anything. I worked in a warehouse with home appliances like front load washing machines (those suckers have a 150 lb weight added inside them, on top of what they weigh normally) and fireplaces, that takes some muscle! But it's about who I am. I put the toilet seat down, I don't feel proud for out-belching my friends, and, although not much scares me, I'm not afraid to admit when something does, unlike my friends. Guys call be a big sissy, and you know? Sometimes I am, and I'm proud that I'm not changing who I am for society's sake.

Women are my equals, not superiors or inferiors. Yet, with all the men afraid of being "girly" you'd swear it was otherwise! Sadly, I don't think that humanity will ever view men and women completely as equals until women stop being looked at strictly as objects of sexual desire, and when lust is so deeply ingrained into us as to compel us to procreate, that will be awfully difficult.

Callista
2010-10-21, 09:21 PM
Hey, this is Belkar making gay jokes. You know, Mr. "I kill people for fun"? Yeah, him. And you have to admit Roy's reaction is pretty funny.

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 09:28 PM
Men have this huge issue with image, they want to be seen as "manly."

Men have this huge issue???

I think you've left out part of the equation. Well, two parts if you consider your last paragraph.

Faramir
2010-10-21, 10:05 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that anyone could take offense here. Just for the record I'm a gay man and found the strip (especially the title!) hilarious.

Of course my love for the title probably illustrates that the geeky aspects of my personality are even stronger than the gay ones...

dps
2010-10-21, 11:09 PM
Whereas the title of the previous strip lead me to expect something completely different than what we got, when I saw "Slash Attack" I knew pretty much what to expect. Didn't expect it to be this hilarious, though.

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 11:11 PM
anybody want to give odds on whether or not Tarquin already knows about Roy and Belkar's connection to the rest?

faustin
2010-10-22, 03:32 AM
Well, iīm still paranoid with the scrying spell we saw after Girardīs hologram and explosion in the dessert, and we donīt already know anything about Tarquin-Girard conection. Anyway, i donīt see particulary Tarquin as an "All According to Plan" villain.

Killer Angel
2010-10-22, 04:22 AM
Well, it seems that Belkar didn't learn the lesson "don't mess too much with Roy"... :smalltongue:

Adeptus
2010-10-22, 04:51 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_fiction

I see. Learn something new every day :smallconfused:

Adeptus
2010-10-22, 04:54 AM

I thought the Giant handled this briliantly. It was genuinely funny, and I'm sure my gay (ok mostly bi) friends also found it amusing.

It's not mean or demeaning, and Tarquin's not-bothered-at-all "thank you very much" is just perfect :smallamused:

Adeptus
2010-10-22, 05:02 AM
Whereas the title of the previous strip lead me to expect something completely different than what we got, when I saw "Slash Attack" I knew pretty much what to expect. Didn't expect it to be this hilarious, though.

This by the way is why I check the name of the strip only after reading it. It usually adds to the joke, rather than foreshadowing it.

albis
2010-10-22, 05:13 AM
This by the way is why I check the name of the strip only after reading it. It usually adds to the joke, rather than foreshadowing it.

Lol, sometimes I dont't look at a page's name... at all... then time passes, I scroll through the archive, see that specific page again, read the title...
and people in my house start wondering if I'm completely off my rocker or if random bouts of laughing are a side effect of high blood sugar. XD

alexandria2k
2010-10-22, 06:16 AM
I am firmly of the opinion that Roy's having a bigger reaction to the idea that he'd ever be attracted to *Elan* than anything else. :smallbiggrin:

This strip's hilarious.

Gray Mage
2010-10-22, 08:02 AM
Any thoughts on what the "other team" team is?

ThunderCat
2010-10-22, 08:23 AM
Any thoughts on what the "other team" team is?Playing for the other team is a slang expression for being homosexual.

Elftist
2010-10-22, 08:46 AM
There's a mistake in panel 6. He says buy instead of but.

I like to think it's a Freudian slip -- Tarquin is actually bi.

Callista
2010-10-22, 02:16 PM
I am firmly of the opinion that Roy's having a bigger reaction to the idea that he'd ever be attracted to *Elan* than anything else. :smallbiggrin:

This strip's hilarious.He does kind of think of Elan as a little kid--even though he knows very well he's not. So maybe that's adding to the squick for him. He'd probably just look confused if Belkar had picked someone else, like maybe Durkon..

rewinn
2010-10-22, 03:40 PM
"No, No don't be embarrassed. I get this all the time" was a perfect understated reversal. Roy's explanation was frankly incredible (...to be fair he had only a second or two to come up with a story...) and we expected T to reject it. Roy's frantically rolling a Bluff check with a lot of negative modifiers, and it's even funnier because his personal quirks make his story squicky to him.

But T accepts the story, not because Roy tells it in a plausible way or because the mark is stupid, but because Roy stumbled onto an explanation that is fully in accord with T's expectations. It's surprising but logical (given the gladiator genre) and therefore hilarious.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-22, 04:11 PM
Thought:
There was a positive modifier to that test; Tarquin likes to think of himself as hot.
Make sense?

suszterpatt
2010-10-22, 05:14 PM
He does kind of think of Elan as a little kid--even though he knows very well he's not. So maybe that's adding to the squick for him. He'd probably just look confused if Belkar had picked someone else, like maybe Durkon..
Also might be a callback to:

:elan: "Roy likes Elan!" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0425.html)

St Fan
2010-10-22, 05:22 PM
anybody want to give odds on whether or not Tarquin already knows about Roy and Belkar's connection to the rest?

Well, I usually don't want to be take in the wild speculation that is the usual fare of these forums, but this is one thing I've been pondering about.

We know that Tarquin is aware of Enor and Gannji getting arrested for a brawl that they pretended was linked to a recent bounty, as he personnally made sure that Kilkil's (lack of) testimony sent the bounty hunters to the gladiator pits. It wouldn't take too much logical skills to conclude that said bounty was about Elan, and thus that some friends of his son could have been the ones involved.

And then, please notice how he introduced himself to Roy and Belkar. Even if he has a habit of having the best fighters convicts being propositionned to join his army, why would he do it himself? And why going there wearing the helmet, but then take it off only when close enough to judge their reaction to his face?

I can't help but think that it's possible Tarquin was supsecting Roy and Belkar to be linked to Elan, and deliberately unmasked to make sure, by showing his face at the appropriate time. If so, he got the surprise he expected, and only pretended to buy their poor excuse.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the General seems genre savvy enough to be the kind to try such a ploy.

Marnath
2010-10-22, 08:00 PM
And yet, ST fan, this man is Elan's father. It is entirely feasible that he has a portion of Elan's naivete/cluelessness. He may very well be missing the subtle cues that hint these people all know each other.

Conuly
2010-10-22, 08:06 PM
I must be the strange one here, but I didn't read the punchline as a gay joke until I came here.

Yes, Belkar's stupid cover story is that they're gay, and yes, he's doing that just to be annoying - but Roy's discomfort with it seemed to me to be more "He's totally going to expose us, there's no way this guy is as stupid as his son, he's bound to catch on!" than "Oh, no, this stranger thinks I'm gay!" And then in the last panel, that whole singing thing is annoying enough when Elan does it, it's got to be horrifically bad when it's Belkar.

It seems like it's just me, and with the other interpretation I can see why the timing especially is upsetting, but... even on re-read, it strikes me more as a "blown cover and Elan-running-gag" joke than a gay joke.

Kish
2010-10-22, 08:34 PM
I think Roy is bothered by the idea that he's attracted to Elan, not because Elan's male but because Elan's...Elan.

Kelvin360
2010-10-22, 08:40 PM
Panel 6, 3rd word bubble from the left (Tarquins), 7th word should be 'but', but it is spelled 'buy'. [/SpellingNazi]

Great comic ^_^

Cerlis
2010-10-22, 08:52 PM
Tarquin:Ah! Its the main event. I truly hope this one lives. He is an excellent warrior...though I suppose if he does I will have to train him so his lust for me doesn't get in the way of his duty.
:elan: : "I didnt know Roy was gay."

-------Later--------

:elan: "Hey Roy! I didnt know you where gay!"
:elan: "Is that why you and Durkon where together when we met?"
:elan: "is that why you picked me when we split the party in the dungeon?"
:elan: "Is that why you are always mad at me? Because you had a crush on me but I like Haley?"
:elan: "Is that why you spent all that time with Celia? Was she teaching you to be a fairy?"
:elan: "I bet you are glad i kept that Belt, it probably made it easier for you to talk to guys"

:roy: .......

DNDmasterz
2010-10-22, 09:03 PM
Panel 6, Elans dad (can't remember name) says "buy i'm soon to be married" is it supposed to be like this? or should it be "but i'm soon to be married"?

rewinn
2010-10-23, 12:27 AM
Thought:
There was a positive modifier to that test; Tarquin likes to think of himself as hot.
Make sense?
:roy: My Bluff check got a Circumstance bonus from Tarquin's arrogance. Typical really!
:belkar: Funny, it smelled like +2 hormones to me!

Cerlis
2010-10-23, 02:09 AM
Panel 6, Elans dad (can't remember name) says "buy i'm soon to be married" is it supposed to be like this? or should it be "but i'm soon to be married"?

Typo that plenty have mentioned
:)

Asta Kask
2010-10-23, 05:04 AM

He sang the entire score to "Meet me at St. Louis", didn't he?

Edit: Let's let the regular posters in the LGBT thread decide whether it was insensitive or not. I'm perfectly comfortable with that, as long as they make the same decision I did.

moxproxy
2010-10-23, 08:06 AM
:elan: "Is that why you spent all that time with Celia? Was she teaching you to be a fairy?"

HILARIOUS! :smallbiggrin:

2-HeadedGiraffe
2010-10-23, 09:00 AM
I think this joke is more acceptable because it's being made by Belkar. I mean, even if you do find it insensitive or offensive, anyone who knows Belkar will realize he's not exactly the group's moral compass. I think it's safe to assume his opinions do not represent those of the Order or Mr. Burlew.

That being said, I still feel the joke is more at Roy's expense, being about his discomfort with the suggestion's Belkar makes, than about homosexuality itself.

Calamity
2010-10-23, 10:01 AM
If you notice, Roy is quite happy to play along until Belkar specifically starts describing Elan. It's not homophobic, it's Elanphobic. :smalltongue:

As a gay man I didn't find this strip anything but hilarious. I really don't see what all the fuss is about

fibonacciseries
2010-10-23, 01:55 PM
Wait-- why are :roy: and :belkar: so surprised?
:vaarsuvius: did tell them (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html) that the General is :elan:'s father.
Did they forget? Did they not know that this was the general? Or were they just not expecting him to look so much like :elan:?

JSSheridan
2010-10-23, 02:49 PM
Thanks!

One things that bugs me though is the big boot and small boot swapping places between walking poses and still poses.

St Fan
2010-10-23, 05:31 PM
And yet, St fan, this man is Elan's father. It is entirely feasible that he has a portion of Elan's naivete/cluelessness. He may very well be missing the subtle cues that hint these people all know each other.

Well, as I said, that's just a hypothesis. We don't know for sure yet how perceptive Tarquin is; more than Elan probably, but that's not saying much. For now, only time will tell whether my alternate interpretation of this last comic has some truth in it.

Marnath
2010-10-23, 07:37 PM
Wait-- why are :roy: and :belkar: so surprised?
:vaarsuvius: did tell them (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0741.html) that the General is :elan:'s father.
Did they forget? Did they not know that this was the general? Or were they just not expecting him to look so much like :elan:?

When was the last time you met a father who could pass for his son with only hair dye? It's unusal for the resemblance to be so strong.

fibonacciseries
2010-10-23, 07:47 PM
When was the last time you met a father who could pass for his son with only hair dye? It's unusal for the resemblance to be so strong.

Yes, but as has been mentioned many times before, there are only so many ways to draw stick figures. If the Giant was going to have them look similar, then they would look identical, simply because that's how this drawing style works

GreenMuffin
2010-10-23, 07:59 PM
One things that bugs me though is the big boot and small boot swapping places between walking poses and still poses.

Maybe he had a different foot forward when he was walking as when he was standing still.

Marnath
2010-10-23, 11:05 PM
Yes, but as has been mentioned many times before, there are only so many ways to draw stick figures. If the Giant was going to have them look similar, then they would look identical, simply because that's how this drawing style works

If they don't look almost exactly alike, why would Haley have the idea that "you'll still look sexy with grey hair.." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0726.html)? From their reactions thus far it really seems like the resemblance is strikingly uncanny.

brionl
2010-10-24, 12:05 AM

Well, as has been said before there's only so many different stick figures you can make.

But, on the other hand, when you look at my father's school pictures, and my school pictures, just about the only way you can tell the difference is that mine are in color and his are B&W. We don't look quite as much alike now, but the resemblance is still very strong.

awibs
2010-10-24, 12:26 AM
I am wondering a little why they were so surprised given that they knew the head general was Elan's father, and that the mysterious helmed man approaching them was obviously warrior class and offering them a job, presumably in the military....

Cerlis
2010-10-24, 01:06 AM
I am wondering a little why they were so surprised given that they knew the head general was Elan's father, and that the mysterious helmed man approaching them was obviously warrior class and offering them a job, presumably in the military....

Elan's father is the general-> That mook trying to hire us for the military is a big jump for someone that doesnt see the entire plot line :P

OOC vs IC knowledge

snikrept
2010-10-24, 02:05 AM

Yeh seems like they made a horrible decision here. Should have gone along with Tarquin and let him beleive they wanted to join his army. Gets them out of the slave pits, AND Tarquin is still happy to give Elan info about Gerard. It's not like they aren't already plotting against him anyhow.

Knaight
2010-10-24, 02:52 AM
Yeh seems like they made a horrible decision here. Should have gone along with Tarquin and let him beleive they wanted to join his army. Gets them out of the slave pits, AND Tarquin is still happy to give Elan info about Gerard. It's not like they aren't already plotting against him anyhow.

They also made a near instantaneous high stakes decision. They didn't have time to figure out the best one, and as such went with one that was far from it.

Dilvish
2010-10-24, 08:26 AM

I don't think it is unusual for people who know well the son (or father) in question. At my first cousin's wedding a few months ago, my dad's old friends were commenting on how much I look like him at the same age.

With 20 years or so difference between Elan and Tarquin, I think it is very possible to that Roy and Belkar can spot the resemblance.

Dilvish
2010-10-24, 08:33 AM
I think Roy is bothered by the idea that he's attracted to Elan, not because Elan's male but because Elan's...Elan.

I completely agree here.

Regarding 'buy' for 'but' in panel 6, I noticed it too. I'll accept it as a sign that Tarquin was surprised, and stumbled over his words.

Maybe Roy (and Belkar too?) don't want to tell Tarquin they're with Elan, because Tarquin's other son is Nale. They don't know if Tarquin is another Nale.

Asthix
2010-10-24, 10:45 AM
Thanks Blackdog, that's definitely the best joke in this comic after having this reference pointed out IMO.

When was the last time you met a father who could pass for his son with only hair dye? It's unusal for the resemblance to be so strong.Except for the chest hair.

Marnath
2010-10-24, 01:55 PM
Thanks Blackdog, that's definitely the best joke in this comic after having this reference pointed out IMO.

Except for the chest hair.

What about it? If he was trying to be Elan, he'd be wearing Elan's shirt, which would conceal that. A better question is if he has any wrinkles yet. :smalltongue:

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-24, 02:14 PM

Well, as has been said before there's only so many different stick figures you can make.
Once again, that quote is misinterpreted to mean the opposite of what Rich meant. :smallsigh:

When he draws two different people that have a passing resemblance to each other, that should not be taken as a sign that they have a connection between them. When he draws father and son with no difference but hair colour, that's supposed to suggest striking resemblance. If they weren't intended to look very much like each other, he'd have altered the shape of Tarquin's hair, or given him a beard, or any other number of ways of changing his appearance.

Regarding 'buy' for 'but' in panel 6, I noticed it too. I'll accept it as a sign that Tarquin was surprised, and stumbled over his words.
Um. Why? It's obviously a typo. It would be a staggering coincidence for someone to accidentally substitute the word they wanted for a completely unrelated (and not even phonetically similar) one, that just happens to contain one letter that's been replaced by the one next to it on a QWERTY keyboard, when speaking aloud. It doesn't even appear that Tarquin is surprised for that matter.

With the amount of people who've mentioned it here though, it's sure to be corrected in the book.

LightsOnNo1Home
2010-10-24, 02:40 PM
With the amount of people who've mentioned it here though, it's sure to be corrected in the book.

Best proof reading team in the world. Ever.

Black
2010-10-24, 05:57 PM
It's not a very good proof-reader that assumes a typo was deliberate.

Marnath
2010-10-24, 06:09 PM
It's not a very good proof-reader that assumes a typo was deliberate.

He means the like 13 people before that who all posted it as if they were the only people on here who would notice.

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-24, 07:29 PM
He means the like 13 people before that who all posted it as if they were the only people on here would would notice.
:smallcool: GO TEAM PROOFREADING!

:smallwink:

Marnath
2010-10-24, 10:07 PM
:smallcool: GO TEAM PROOFREADING!

:smallwink:

....Argh.:smallsigh:

kojar
2010-10-25, 08:02 AM
If it`s not too late to post something here let me just say: in panel #6 Tarquin
said "thank you BUY I am soon to be married.

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-25, 08:30 AM
There's a bit of a queue at the moment, I'm afraid.

Kish
2010-10-25, 08:35 AM
Has Anyone Mentioned The Typo In Panel Six Yet?

Edit: Darn, wouldn't let me do all-caps.

LightsOnNo1Home
2010-10-25, 12:18 PM
Has Anyone Mentioned The Typo In Panel Six Yet?

Edit: Darn, wouldn't let me do all-caps.

You know? I don't think anyone has :smallwink:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-25, 12:29 PM
There's a typo in panel six? Funny, I didn't notice.:smallwink:

Actually, first readthrough I didn't.

runescaper123
2010-11-21, 11:06 AM
Typo in panel six. Buy should be but.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Unofficial leader of the Monster fan club :mitd:

Marnath
2010-11-21, 03:10 PM
Typo in panel six. Buy should be but.

This wasn't funny a month ago when we were still talking about it, and it's not funny now. Check your post dates....