PDA

View Full Version : Pre-work warnings.

Thrawn183
2010-10-20, 08:18 PM
Ok, so I use the term "work" as in a literary work, though frankly it could apply to any medium.

I'm a strong believer that not everything has to be serious. I have no problem with a movie like... army of darkness. I actually love the movie. Why? I love it because it is obvious that it doesn't take itself seriously. The thing is, it's obvious you're not supposed to take it seriously.

In particular I'd like something that is rebooting a continuity to just have a little five second blurb at the beginning saying, "Hey, not the same story you're used to. Just run with it." It would have made the new Star Trek movie way better.

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 08:33 PM
How about this one:

NOTICE

PERSONS attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.

BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR, Per G.G., Chief of Ordnance.

EXPLANATORY

IN this book a number of dialects are used, to wit: the Missouri negro dialect; the extremest form of the backwoods Southwestern dialect; the ordinary "Pike County" dialect; and four modified varieties of this last. The shadings have not been done in a haphazard fashion, or by guesswork; but painstakingly, and with the trustworthy guidance and support of personal familiarity with these several forms of speech.

I make this explanation for the reason that without it many readers would suppose that all these characters were trying to talk alike and not succeeding.

THE AUTHOR.

VanBuren
2010-10-20, 08:38 PM
Ok, so I use the term "work" as in a literary work, though frankly it could apply to any medium.

I'm a strong believer that not everything has to be serious. I have no problem with a movie like... army of darkness. I actually love the movie. Why? I love it because it is obvious that it doesn't take itself seriously. The thing is, it's obvious you're not supposed to take it seriously.

In particular I'd like something that is rebooting a continuity to just have a little five second blurb at the beginning saying, "Hey, not the same story you're used to. Just run with it." It would have made the new Star Trek movie way better.

I thought the movie made that fairly obvious when it changed continuity in like the first scene.

Psyren
2010-10-20, 10:52 PM
The thing is, it wouldn't really be a reboot if they acknowledged what came before that much. That would be like the Spider-Man reboot beginning with an apology for Spiderman 3.

...On second thought, that's not a bad idea.

PopcornMage
2010-10-20, 11:02 PM
I assumed Batman Begins WAS an apology for Batman and Robin.

factotum
2010-10-21, 01:53 AM
I think a warning like this would be a bit pointless...it would be a bit like having a warning at the beginning of the film "WARNING: Bad guys lose!". It's irrelevant, you'll find all this stuff out by actually watching the film anyway!

jamroar
2010-10-21, 05:01 AM
"This work of fiction is not an accurate historical portrayal. Like we CARE! Now shut up and enjoy the show." - Samurai Champloo opening disclaimer.

Athaniar
2010-10-21, 05:18 AM
But the new Star Trek isn't really a clean reboot, it's an alternate continuity created by influence from the original timeline. And besides, I still don't think it's a good idea, it's kinda patronizing. I think it would detract from movies, and I certainly don't see how it could make a movie "way better" the rest of the movie is exactly the same.

LCR
2010-10-21, 09:34 AM

Not calling the movie "Star Trek" would've made it wholly enjoyable.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-21, 09:46 AM
WARNING: Half the cast from the previous movie has been changed. We are aware that this may cause some confusion, but hopefully you'll catch up around the middle of the film.

Comet
2010-10-21, 10:16 AM
"WARNING:
This film is not the same film as that one film that came out last week. They are, in fact, of completely different genres. Please leave the theatre if this fact makes you uncomfortable.
For those of you staying, this film is best enjoyed with eyes opened. For maximum enjoyment, remember to breathe regularly. The movie will not stop if you go to the bathroom and as such leaving your seat is not recommended.
The movie begins when the lights are dimmed and moving pictures appear on the large white screen. This will happen in ten seconds, please enjoy your movie."

Mewtarthio
2010-10-21, 05:36 PM
In particular I'd like something that is rebooting a continuity to just have a little five second blurb at the beginning saying, "Hey, not the same story you're used to. Just run with it."

Why would you expect anything else? I realize it's fun to bash Hollywood as derivative, but just about everyone who works on a film is a creative person. Creative people don't like to tell the same story somebody else already told. Likewise, audiences don't want to hear the same story they've already heard.

(Also, obligatory link (http://www.theonion.com/video/trekkies-bash-new-star-trek-film-as-fun-watchable,14333/)) *flees*

Thrawn183
2010-10-21, 06:34 PM
I'm just saying that all too often I have a moment where I stop and try and figure out what I'm supposed to be looking for in a movie and then I'm suddenly out of it. I've lost the suspension of disbelief because I'm looking around the theater going, "hmmm, is this supposed to be humorous?"

For me, the perfect movie is one where I never really stop to think about the fact that I'm in the theater.

Let me give another example. Forbidden Kingdom.

When the kid gets transported back to ancient china and can suddenly understand chinese, "that's because you aren't listening!"

For me, it's so obvious that you're just supposed to run with it, that I do. My problem is when I stop thinking about what a character's intentions are or the action on the screen and start thinking about what the director or the writers intended for me to be thinking about, I lose a huge amount of the enjoyability of the show.

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 06:48 PM
Not calling the movie "Star Trek" would've made it wholly enjoyable.

The same cannot be said for 3, 5, Generations, Insurrection or Nemesis.

:smallsmile:

Marillion
2010-10-21, 07:00 PM
"Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2)a disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own butt.

Though it'll go without saying ten minutes or so into these proceedings, View Askew would like to state that this film is- from start to finish- a work of comedic fantasy, not to be taken seriously. To insist that any of what follows is incendiary or inflammatory is to miss our intention and pass undue judgment; and passing judgment is reserved for God and God alone (this goes for you film critics too... just kidding).

So please - before you think about hurting someone over this trifle of a film, remember: even God has a sense of humor. Just look at the platypus. Thank you and enjoy the show.

P.S. We sincerely apologize to all platypus enthusiasts out there who are offended by that thoughtless comment about the platypi. We at View Askew respect the noble platypus, and it is not our intention to slight these stupid creatures in any way.

Thank you again and enjoy the show."

LCR
2010-10-22, 09:56 AM
The same cannot be said for 3, 5, Generations, Insurrection or Nemesis.

:smallsmile:

Compared to the tv shows, I don't really like any of the movies. The Next Generation movies do have the advantage of featuring Patrick Stewart, though.

PopcornMage
2010-10-22, 10:31 AM
Well, some of the movies might have made decent television episodes, even double-length ones, but others...please no!!!

Obrysii
2010-10-22, 11:33 AM
Dogma has a pretty nice pre-work warning.

Revlid
2010-10-23, 08:43 PM
In particular I'd like something that is rebooting a continuity to just have a little five second blurb at the beginning saying, "Hey, not the same story you're used to. Just run with it." It would have made the new Star Trek movie way better.No, it wouldn't have. No shots would have changed, no acting would have been altered, no special effects would have popped in or out of existence. Star Trek was a good movie on its own merits. Giving thick and/or elderly people a crutch to help them work out what's going on doesn't objectively improve a movie.

Thrawn183
2010-10-23, 08:50 PM
No, it wouldn't have. No shots would have changed, no acting would have been altered, no special effects would have popped in or out of existence. Star Trek was a good movie on its own merits.

Star Trek was a terrible movie on its own merits. I said it would have been better, not that it would have been good.

Tavar
2010-10-23, 09:56 PM
Star Trek was a terrible movie on its own merits. I said it would have been better, not that it would have been good.

What merits were those?

I think the lack of commonly agreed definitions causes many, many problems on these boards.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-23, 11:28 PM
"Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2)a disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own butt.

Though it'll go without saying ten minutes or so into these proceedings, View Askew would like to state that this film is- from start to finish- a work of comedic fantasy, not to be taken seriously. To insist that any of what follows is incendiary or inflammatory is to miss our intention and pass undue judgment; and passing judgment is reserved for God and God alone (this goes for you film critics too... just kidding).

So please - before you think about hurting someone over this trifle of a film, remember: even God has a sense of humor. Just look at the platypus. Thank you and enjoy the show.

P.S. We sincerely apologize to all platypus enthusiasts out there who are offended by that thoughtless comment about the platypi. We at View Askew respect the noble platypus, and it is not our intention to slight these stupid creatures in any way.

Thank you again and enjoy the show."

One should hope View Askew respects them. They have poisonous barbs, see sound/electric fields, and release milk through pores.