PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5] Magic Item mashing character concept (help!)

Gaiyamato
2010-10-21, 01:37 AM
I was toying with an idea the other day of a character who simply took whatever magic items he found, and sort of "mashed" them together to make a single magic item that just got better and better over time, and left the rest as piles of dust. This would work best in a medium-low level magic world (else he would be 'uber' in under 5 seconds).

I was wondering if there was any way to permanently transfer the "magic" part of an item from one magic item to another in DnD 3.5?

I know how to drain it using Spellfire or somesuch. But to retain the properties just on another item instead would be excellent.

Bayar
2010-10-21, 02:18 AM
Use artificier, retain essence on the magic item, turning it to dust. Then use the XP to make or improve other items.

Gaiyamato
2010-10-21, 02:26 AM
Not actually what I wanted.
I did look at artificer thinking about that.

But I was to actually mash the item into another magic item.
So even an artifact and strange/custom items are retained and I am not actually ever crafting anything.

Literally I get two magic swords, slam them together and presto I now have one sword with the magic powers of both the previous two combined.

Bayar
2010-10-21, 02:29 AM
Sorry, there is no way to do that other than homebrewing one.

Gaiyamato
2010-10-21, 02:30 AM
Yeah didnt think so. np.

Keld Denar
2010-10-21, 02:48 AM
Ancestral Relic from BoED does something like that. You sacrifice magic items to your weapon, and your weapon gets stronger and stuff.

Only works for one item though...

Dimers
2010-10-21, 10:54 AM
Ancestral Relic from BoED does something like that. You sacrifice magic items to your weapon, and your weapon gets stronger and stuff.

Only works for one item though...

You can basically do the same with an Item Familiar. And the Oriental Adventures samurai class can upgrade two ancestral weapons (katana and wakazashi) likewise.

Diarmuid
2010-10-21, 11:19 AM
2E had a spell called Steal Enchantment. Find it, and try to shoe-horn it into something that works in 3E.

Though the problem you're going to face is that in such a game, you would quickly outstrip other characters who are still bound by magic item slot limits, though I do recognise the limitation in putting all your eggs in one basket.

Perhaps some class ability the trades magic item slots to do something similar to what you're looking for...though there would have to be some sort of diminishing returns. Turning 2 +1 swords into a +2 sword is an instant wealth change of 4k and again has the potential to unbalance the party for the DM.

Gaiyamato
2010-10-21, 05:06 PM
2E had a spell called Steal Enchantment. Find it, and try to shoe-horn it into something that works in 3E.

Though the problem you're going to face is that in such a game, you would quickly outstrip other characters who are still bound by magic item slot limits, though I do recognise the limitation in putting all your eggs in one basket.

Perhaps some class ability the trades magic item slots to do something similar to what you're looking for...though there would have to be some sort of diminishing returns. Turning 2 +1 swords into a +2 sword is an instant wealth change of 4k and again has the potential to unbalance the party for the DM.

I was thinking of combining it with item familiar. I'm less likely to sell it if it's my familiar with xp invested in it. :P

You are right though. Which is why this would only work in a campaign where magic items were either very uncommon or rare.

I cannot believe I didn't think of "Steal Enchantment". Thanks for that.

Maybe make my base item an ancestral sword - item familiar. lol.

Maybe a build like: Warblade 5/Ancestral Knight 5/Legacy Champion 10
Full Blade +1 of Enchantment Stealing

:D

Gaiyamato
2010-10-21, 05:33 PM
Ahhh! I just read the spell. It must be from a magic item to any non-magical item and explicitly states that it cannot combine magic items.

Back to the drawing board.
Though it is a good basis for making a homebrew solution.

Diarmuid
2010-10-21, 09:48 PM
So...you're looking to do this in a world where there arent a lot of magic items? So you basically want to monopolize the magic items that a party might get?

Seems a bit...selfish doesnt it?

In a world where magic items are rare, I would think reducing the amount of magic items around would be....counterproductive.

Psyren
2010-10-21, 09:55 PM
In a world where magic items are rare, I would think reducing the amount of magic items around would be....counterproductive.

Not if you're the bloke with the last one.

Gaiyamato
2010-10-22, 09:26 PM
Well. If I couple this with a Lawful Good character and/or play a solo game then monopoly of the items shouldn't be an issue in regards to the party.

I was thinking though of making a homebrew magic item enhancement something like (this is a weapon example, which is perhaps the most fitting):

Weapon Meld:
The player may take a full round to press another magic weapon against this and concentrate.
Doing so combines the two weapons both physically and magically. Any bonuses,
enhancements and effects from the second weapon are added to this weapon, and the second weapon is destroyed permanently.
Only magic weapons may be melded with this weapon in this way.
Special: This may only be added to a +1 weapon. No other enhancements may be added after.
Price: +3

To make it even more interesting if it became an intelligent weapon (from Item Familiar say) then I could play it as it hungers to "consume" other weapons. lol.