PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e]So, Optimizing a 3rd Party Class...Challenging? Yes. Impossible? No!

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 04:50 AM
Here's the deal:

We're playing Expedition to Castle Ravenloft this weekend, and since all roads lead to Ravenloft, my DM is allowing me to use the Iron Kingdoms sourcebook from Privateer Press. I'm playing a Gun Mage (http://www.scribd.com/doc/39804028/IK-Gun-Mage), and never having played one, I need options.

Gun Mage in a nutshell: Medium BAB, Good Reflex, CHA-based casting, 1 level behind a sorcerer's progression (which means that with a high Charisma, I'll have 3rd level spells at 7th level). Oh yeah, and GUNS! (Specifically pistols.)

Anyone game?

Basics: Level 7 Elven single-classed Gun Mage (preferably blasty, and yes, I am married to the concept of the single classed character), and assume standard WBL.
Available Books: PHB, Complete Arcane, Iron Kingdoms Character Guide, Heroes of Horror

GO!

Leon
2010-10-21, 05:44 AM
Why do you need to optimize?
Just make a character and have some fun with it.

Coidzor
2010-10-21, 05:51 AM
I approve of their use of British swearing in the first line of the class description, that's for sure. :smallbiggrin:

Well, first things first. You're going to need a way to hurt undead, vampires, lycanthropes, incorporeal creatures, swarms, and probably plants too. And if you're really lucky, constructs and outsiders/elementals.

Fortunately you come out of the gates with a boom stick and your own version of arcane strike for bonus force damage out of class features, so it seems potential damage output is not something that'll need to be shored up out of the bag.

And it looks like you'll have 4 1st and 2nd level spells known and 2 3rd level spells known.

I can't think of anything to say other than to refer to sorcerer stratagems in regards to spell selection there and potentially to acquire know stones.

And you have some incentive to take touch spells due to your schmagic pistol...

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 06:59 AM
And you have some incentive to take touch spells due to your schmagic pistol...

I do.

And you're right, I wasn't really looking for damage output, since (at level 5) pretty much any targeted spell becomes a viable option with the same range as my pistola. I need survivability. d6 HP, and proficient in light armor (arcane spell failure is a PITA, though), but with limited spell selection. Do I go full blaster, or do I hold back and buff myself for AC?

Tavar
2010-10-21, 07:57 AM
Why do you need to optimize?
Just make a character and have some fun with it.

Isn't that module a very demanding and deadly one? So, optimization is as much a way to be able to enjoy the character as anything else.

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 08:00 AM
Isn't that module a very demanding and deadly one?
Yes.

So, optimization is as much a way to be able to enjoy the character as anything else.
Yes. Hence my reply to Coidzor about survivability being my primary optimization focus here. Sure we get a backup character, but I really like my Iron Kingdoms Steampunkery, and have an overwhelming urge to make one character last the entire adventure.

Leon
2010-10-21, 01:27 PM
Isn't that module a very demanding and deadly one? So, optimization is as much a way to be able to enjoy the character as anything else.

Silly me i forgot that you cant enjoy a PC if its not optimal.

I dont care about your optimal woes but i'll gives some advice for a good PC

Re: Gun Mage and Armour talk to your DM and see what they think, (i cant find my refence as im not logged in to the PP forums atm and dont even know if it transfered to the new version) but i recall something about the Arcane spell failure being a oversight and that they could cast in Light Armour with no problem. Most other Caster classes that can wear light armour can cast in it - Bard, Warmage, Dread Necro etc.

If stuff from IKCG is useable gear wise nab a Great Coat (Armoured's best but can make your DM growl...)

Pick up a Morningstar and 3 Colour Coded daggers (Silver, Cold Iron and Adamantine) and hope that you never have to use them

Want more Damage per shot?
Weapon Focus: Pistol, Prescise Shot and Sharpshooter. Put as much as you can into your DEX for DEX mod to damage with attacks from the focused weapon.

For Spells i'd lean more towards utility and defence with the Gun as your main Damage tool but with some rays for good measure.

Shame you dont have the NQs on the List of allowed books - the couple that focused on Gun mages had some useful things.

Greenish
2010-10-21, 01:30 PM
The description lacks the stats of a pistol as a weapon.

Anyhow, the class seems like ranged duskblade with slightly better spell list (but less BAB, hd and spells per day). You'll want Precise Shot, but Rapid and Manyshot are pretty useless since you don't get full attack channel. Well, until you run out of spells, of course, which'll happen if you want to deal real damage. After that, you're just a poor man's archer.

[Edit]:
Silly me i forgot that you cant enjoy a PC if its not optimal.He meant that you can't enjoy a dead PC, and you know it. :smallannoyed:

Leon
2010-10-21, 01:45 PM
The description lacks the stats of a pistol as a weapon.

Anyhow, the class seems like ranged duskblade with slightly better spell list (but less BAB, hd and spells per day). You'll want Precise Shot, but Rapid and Manyshot are pretty useless since you don't get full attack channel. Well, until you run out of spells, of course, which'll happen if you want to deal real damage. After that, you're just a poor man's archer.

Standard Military Pistol is 2d6, 19-20 x3 80ft

[Edit]:He meant that you can't enjoy a dead PC, and you know it. :smallannoyed:

A PC doesnt need to be Optimal to stay alive, hard module or not.

Greenish
2010-10-21, 02:43 PM
Standard Military Pistol is 2d6, 19-20 x3 80ftFree action loading?

A PC doesnt need to be Optimal to stay alive, hard module or not.Optimization means making a good character for purpose X (or just in general). That's what you suggested, too.

There's no "one true way" of making a character "Optimal" like you seem to suggest.

Tavar
2010-10-21, 03:53 PM
A PC doesnt need to be Optimal to stay alive, hard module or not.

But in a hard module, being optimized makes it less of "is the DM going to fudge the dice" and more of "this guy's living on his own merits".

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 05:15 PM
Free action loading?

Standard action :smallfrown:

And survival is key, here. My damage output seems like it will be good enough; my damage intake ability, however, is questionable. Living on my own merits is definitely the endstate of this optimization thread.

As far as the NQ's not being on the list, it's because none of us owns them. I have the Character Guide, Lock & Load, and the Monsternomicon (nom nom nom :smallbiggrin:).

Thanks, so far, guys.

EDIT: I've been looking at Rapid Reload. My DM will probably allow that to apply to firearms. But I'll definitely be firing into melee (probably a lot), so Point Blank and Precise Shot are probably a must.

Greenish
2010-10-21, 05:18 PM
Standard action :smallfrown:Does Rapid Reload work on that? Because I have hard time seeing how you plan to have relevant damage output with a single hit every other round. (Or do you plan having several pistols?)

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 05:24 PM
Does Rapid Reload work on that? Because I have hard time seeing how you plan to have relevant damage output with a single hit every other round. (Or do you plan having several pistols?)

See my edit above. And I plan on packin' a whole lotta heat! :smallbiggrin: At least 3 or 4 extras, but I can only have 1 bonded magelock.

Greenish
2010-10-21, 05:26 PM
but I can only have 1 bonded magelock.That's not what the class you linked to says.

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 05:29 PM
That's not what the class you linked to says.

:eek: HOLY CRAP, BATMAN!!!!! :eek:

I can't believe I missed that!
You have just saved the day, Greenish. Damage output, SOLVED! :biggrin:

Now, to survive Castle Ravenloft.

Keld Denar
2010-10-21, 05:48 PM
Castle Ravenloft has a lot of things that ambush you from odd angles, so the standard meatshield-in-front tactic doesn't go over well. Make sure you have a few get-a-way cards like Anklets of Translocation or Chronocharms of the Horizon Walker. Also, boost your saves as much as you can afford with a +resistance cloak/vest. Next, protect yourself from negative energy. +1 Soulfire armor costs 25,000g+base, which might be a bit steep. If so, +1 Death Ward armor protects you from 1 effect per day for 4,000g+base. Lastly, you'll want something to guard your head. Armor Crystal of Mind Shielding gives +1/+3/+5 bonus on will saves vs mind affecting stuff, otherwise you could take a feat like Shape Soulmeld: Planar Ward or Willing Deformity(Madness) or the other feat that Person_Man always links that allows you to redirect mind affecting crap. That should cover most of your bases.

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 05:54 PM
Castle Ravenloft has a lot of things that ambush you from odd angles, so the standard meatshield-in-front tactic doesn't go over well. Make sure you have a few get-a-way cards like Anklets of Translocation or Chronocharms of the Horizon Walker. Also, boost your saves as much as you can afford with a +resistance cloak/vest. Next, protect yourself from negative energy. +1 Soulfire armor costs 25,000g+base, which might be a bit steep. If so, +1 Death Ward armor protects you from 1 effect per day for 4,000g+base. Lastly, you'll want something to guard your head. Armor Crystal of Mind Shielding gives +1/+3/+5 bonus on will saves vs mind affecting stuff, otherwise you could take a feat like Shape Soulmeld: Planar Ward or Willing Deformity(Madness) or the other feat that Person_Man always links that allows you to redirect mind affecting crap. That should cover most of your bases.
Sound advice, however...

Available Books: PHB, Complete Arcane, Iron Kingdoms Character Guide, Heroes of Horror
I think I can only get the resistance cloak/vest and the Death Ward armor off your list. And don't you have to be evil to get willing deformity?
Unless some of that other stuff is from HoH or CA. I haven't completely read HoH yet, and my memories of CA are a little fuzzy.

Keld Denar
2010-10-21, 06:30 PM
Gah, thats what I get for skimming. Man, you really need access to the MIC...blargoblargoblarg...

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 06:32 PM
I agree, but none of us owns it, so no one gets to use it. :smallfrown:

dsmiles
2010-10-22, 04:39 AM
Bump for T-9h 20m.

Bueller?
Bueller?

Anyone?

Leon
2010-10-22, 05:44 AM
If your DM lets have more than one Magelock to bond with is a another matter.

Coidzor
2010-10-22, 05:52 AM
What does Combat Loading do? It seems like something that would reduce the loading time problem. What are you currently planning on taking for your bonus feat?

If your DM lets have more than one Magelock to bond with is a another matter.

Why would that be an issue though?

Leon
2010-10-22, 05:55 AM
Beacuse Magelocks are not meant to be dime a dozen.
They are made specially to wistand the arcane energies and common pistols are not.

Coidzor
2010-10-22, 05:57 AM
Beacuse Magelocks are not meant to be dime a dozen.
They are made specially to wistand the arcane energies and common pistols are not.

Well, he ostensibly has full WBL to work with here, so I'm still not following.

I would say to focus more on buffing with one or two more blasty spells.

I'd recommend blur and fly as two of your spells known. Summon Swarm might be useful against the living opponents you run into (specifically I don't think lycanthropes can stop the wounding effect of bat swarms even by changing form either that or by nauseating them into being unable to act while they're peppered with ranged attacks), but I can't recall if there's enough encounters of that sort to merit it as a permanent spell choice as opposed to maybe a wand.

Take shocking grasp as your touch spell to do at range of choice...although, chill touch lets you shoot out 7 ranged touches (1 touch per level, so...) from your magelock pistol that each require a save from living things or they take a strength damage or a save from undead or they become panicked and have to drop their stuff and flee and cower if they can't flee... not very good damage against the living and none versus undead, but, hey, undead that fail their save are out of the fight for a minimum of 2 roundsCorrection, 8 rounds of panick and one casting would allow you to split them up into more managed chunks for your melee to practically dispose of at their leisure. Particularly good targets for the panicked effect would be ability damage/drainers like vampires and wights, bruisers, and spell-slingers...

Glitterdust is a good general purpose, no you don't get to be invisible and haha you're blind spell that apparently works against undead as well. Spiderclimb too is a spell that'll get you out of melee reach of most of the nasty things, especially since trees are so often around given the countryside.

huh. Looks like you don't get any touch or ray spells at 3rd level... Though it does give you some AoE capabilities.

I'm assuming flaws aren't allowed. So you've got 3 regular feats and a bonus feat with which to work your mojo...

You'll want point blank shot for a +1 to hit and damage and as a prereq for Precise Shot so you can hit things your melee types are dealing with.

So that's two there, and on the bonus feat list it looks like Weapon Focus Pistols is the best one unless the craft: small arms check to reload in combat is high enough you need the bonus.

Not sure what I'd say for the 6th level feat though...

What are the rest of the party going to be?

Attilargh
2010-10-22, 06:22 AM
See my edit above. And I plan on packin' a whole lotta heat! :smallbiggrin: At least 3 or 4 extras, but I can only have 1 bonded magelock.
Do consider investing in a bunch of cheap wands or save boosters or something instead.

I can't remember the prices for magelock military pistols and their ammunition offhand, but I'm willing to bet you're better off investing at least some of that insane pile of gold in more magic instead of more gun. Especially if you can squeeze in Rapid Reload: Firing one gun every round is better than firing two every other, because of two-weapon penalties.

Packing a spare or two might be sound in some cases (full-attacking with Quick Draw? I dunno), but four is simply overkill. I can't see any point in spending your monies there.

dsmiles
2010-10-22, 07:19 AM
What does Combat Loading do? It seems like something that would reduce the loading time problem. What are you currently planning on taking for your bonus feat?
Bonus to Concentration for loading during combat.

I'd recommend blur and fly as two of your spells known. Summon Swarm might be useful against the living opponents you run into (specifically I don't think lycanthropes can stop the wounding effect of bat swarms even by changing form either that or by nauseating them into being unable to act while they're peppered with ranged attacks), but I can't recall if there's enough encounters of that sort to merit it as a permanent spell choice as opposed to maybe a wand.

Take shocking grasp as your touch spell to do at range of choice...although, chill touch lets you shoot out 7 ranged touches (1 touch per level, so...) from your magelock pistol that each require a save from living things or they take a strength damage or a save from undead or they become panicked and have to drop their stuff and flee and cower if they can't flee... not very good damage against the living and none versus undead, but, hey, undead that fail their save are out of the fight for a minimum of 2 rounds and one casting would allow you to split them up into more managed chunks for your melee. Particularly good targets for the panicked effect would be ability damage/drainers like vampires and wights, bruisers, and spell-slingers...

Glitterdust is a good general purpose, no you don't get to be invisible and haha you're blind spell that apparently works against undead as well. Spiderclimb too is a spell that'll get you out of melee reach of most of the nasty things, especially since trees are so often around given the countryside.

huh. Looks like you don't get any touch or ray spells at 3rd level... Though it does give you some AoE capabilities.

I'm assuming flaws aren't allowed. So you've got 3 regular feats and a bonus feat with which to work your mojo...

You'll want point blank shot for a +1 to hit and damage and as a prereq for Precise Shot so you can hit things your melee types are dealing with.

So that's two there, and on the bonus feat list it looks like Weapon Focus Pistols is the best one unless the craft: small arms check to reload in combat is high enough you need the bonus.

Not sure what I'd say for the 6th level feat though...

What are the rest of the party going to be?
Sounds good, but, yeah, no flaws.
Military Pistol DC is only like 8 or 10 or some silly low number.
Point Blank and Precise Shot are almost mandatory. One of the characters is probably going to be a melee guy, and the DMs wife usually plays a druid or ranger on top of that. I'm probably going to pass on AoE, can't channel it through the pistola. Only ray, ranged touch, and touch. Shocking grasp, chill touch, glitterdust, and summon swarm seem sound choices. How good, exactly, is vampiric touch? Will it work against undead-ish things? My other 3rd level choices are wavering between blink, displacement, haste and slow.

Do consider investing in a bunch of cheap wands or save boosters or something instead.

I can't remember the prices for magelock military pistols and their ammunition offhand, but I'm willing to bet you're better off investing at least some of that insane pile of gold in more magic instead of more gun. Especially if you can squeeze in Rapid Reload: Firing one gun every round is better than firing two every other, because of two-weapon penalties.

Packing a spare or two might be sound in some cases (full-attacking with Quick Draw? I dunno), but four is simply overkill. I can't see any point in spending your monies there.
+1,500 gp for a quenched serricsteel magelock. +300 gp because it has to be masterwork. Zoinks! :smalleek: Forget Mechanickal or Arcanickal! 2 magelocks and 2 or 3 expendables. Definitely going for a vest of resistance, and possibly a +1 or +2 reinforced greatcoat. (+1 AC, DR 3/bludgeoning or slashing). Ammo's not too bad. Runecast ammo for a military pistol will run me 9-11 gp/shot (8-10gp/shot +1gp/shot for runecast). I'm thinking about going with a Clockwerk Arms Pepperbox. Less range, more shots before reload, 50gp less than a millitary pistol. And of course I'm going to scope any pistol I get (+75gp, reduces range increment penalty to -1). Although 80ft with the military pistol is pretty respectable, as is.

Leon
2010-10-22, 08:29 AM
What about a Multibarrel Military Pistol over a Clockwerk Arms Pepperbox
(Balanced Multibarrel is in Liber Mechanica but is just a Expansion of the Double Barrel rules given in IKCG - +30% weight and +75% of base cost for each barrel added)
Gives you better range and hitting power than the Pepperbox

And a have a seperate pistol that is well maintained with a suppy of Incendiary rounds for when things need to burn

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 09:52 AM
Seeing the Gunmage again, it sucks a lot less than I remembered. Maybe there were translations mistakes in the portuguese version, but I thought they needed to create runes on their bullets for all their spells.
I find it weird that gunmages can cast spells without their guns, though.

dsmiles
2010-10-22, 10:21 AM
What about a Multibarrel Military Pistol over a Clockwerk Arms Pepperbox
(Balanced Multibarrel is in Liber Mechanica but is just a Expansion of the Double Barrel rules given in IKCG - +30% weight and +75% of base cost for each barrel added)
Gives you better range and hitting power than the Pepperbox

And a have a seperate pistol that is well maintained with a suppy of Incendiary rounds for when things need to burn

Once again, how did I friggin' miss that? Is that under the equipment section?
...and: Incendiary = Ouch. I was already debating that in my head, but wasn't sure whether I wanted to go that way or not. I probably will, even if it's only because everything is better with fire.

Wings of Peace
2010-10-22, 11:25 AM
Take Pistoleer and argue to your DM that gaining the option to use your guns to make melee attacks qualifies you to use Iaijutsu with them as they're now in the broad sense "melee weapons".

dsmiles
2010-10-22, 11:33 AM
Take Pistoleer and argue to your DM that gaining the option to use your guns to make melee attacks qualifies you to use Iaijutsu with them as they're now in the broad sense "melee weapons".

:smalleek:

Melee? Who's side are you on, here? Mine? Or the DM's?
Melee will get me nothing, except for dead. And possibly more dead.

EDIT: Although I could probably convince him of that, if I applied myself.

Wings of Peace
2010-10-22, 12:19 PM
:smalleek:

Melee? Who's side are you on, here? Mine? Or the DM's?
Melee will get me nothing, except for dead. And possibly more dead.

EDIT: Although I could probably convince him of that, if I applied myself.

Iaijutsu if my memory serves correctly is activated when you attack with a melee weapon. If you can convince him Pistoleer lets you count your pistol also as a melee weapon then you can make ranged Iaijutsu attacks.

Greenish
2010-10-22, 12:25 PM
Iaijutsu if my memory serves correctly is activated when you attack with a melee weapon.It's activated when you draw a melee weapon on the same round as you attack a flat-footed target.

So, with Quick Draw, one could draw a dagger, then shoot with the pistol, and gain the Iaijutsu damage.

Coidzor
2010-10-22, 12:27 PM
Military Pistol DC is only like 8 or 10 or some silly low number.
Point Blank and Precise Shot are almost mandatory. One of the characters is probably going to be a melee guy, and the DMs wife usually plays a druid or ranger on top of that. I'm probably going to pass on AoE, can't channel it through the pistola. Only ray, ranged touch, and touch. Shocking grasp, chill touch, glitterdust, and summon swarm seem sound choices. How good, exactly, is vampiric touch? Will it work against undead-ish things? My other 3rd level choices are wavering between blink, displacement, haste and slow.

Vampiric touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/vampiricTouch.htm) can't target undead creatures, only living ones, sadly. Vampiric touch's utility against living creatures is variable depending upon whether the DM allows weapon and bonus damage to count along with the spell damage for how many temporary HP are given. If the weapon damage is added to the temporary HP it becomes an invaluably great spell (though more so for duskblades who mix it up in melee), if not, it merely becomes a good spell for a meleer and an okish spell for someone like you as far as I can tell.

Even if you can't use it against undead, you can use it against ANY living creature and the temporary HP will last for an hour afterward. For you, I'm thinking it will be not so valuable as a spell known in this campaign but still of use, especially if there's a character with fasthealing or the ability to heal something with a fair amount of HPs to half HP for free, like a dragon shaman or a clericdivine caster with the touch of healing reserve feat.

An Ox would be represented by a bison (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bison.htm)(37) in game and would be unlikely to be targeted in combat could then be targeted by every character some time prior to a combat scenario in order to give you all a buffer of temporary HP, and it could pull your cart which you could use to transport things like an altar to an appropriate deity if you've got a cleric in your party. Of course, this is also expensive in terms of a character's third level spells per day or wands. And probably rife for getting the ox to be uncooperative from the abuse heaped upon it....

Blink can interfere with your own spells, so you'd need some ghost touch ability (Like, say, a lesser truedeath weapon crystal, but no MIC, IIRC so that's out :smallfrown:) to avoid having your weapons having a miss-chance and to use spells that effect both the material and the ethereal (or at least can effect the material from the ethereal), which is why I suggested blur as a way to get a misschance, since it doesn't apply a misschance to your own offense. Also, blink is rounds per level while blur is minutes per level, meaning there's a chance blur can come into play during two combats.

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 04:54 PM
It's activated when you draw a melee weapon on the same round as you attack a flat-footed target.

So, with Quick Draw, one could draw a dagger, then shoot with the pistol, and gain the Iaijutsu damage.

Kind of like "Look at my blade!"
"Oh noes, he's got a gun!"
*BANG*
It's so ridiculous it's awesome.

Keld Denar
2010-10-22, 04:56 PM

Look down, now back at me. Your guns are now diamonds.

I'm on a phantom steed!

Dee dede dee dee dede dee!

Dragonmuncher
2010-10-22, 05:02 PM
I'd also see how much you can get away with using the Sighting Link ability of your bonded magelock.

Sighting Link: Due to the magical nature of the magelock metal and the bond that has been forged
between the pistol and its master, with a successful Concentration check (DC 15), the master of 7th level
or higher can see as if looking out from his pistol’s sights (or the end of the barrel if it has no sights),
instead of using his own eyes. This enables the master to aim the pistol without looking, allowing for some
spectacular trick shots

Put some ranks in Concentration, and never come out from behind total cover :smalltongue:

Psyren
2010-10-22, 07:07 PM
Silly me i forgot that you cant enjoy a PC if its not optimal.

It's slightly harder to enjoy the dead ones, anyway. (Necropolitans notwithstanding)

Thrawn183
2010-10-22, 07:19 PM
Can you get invisibility? I find the best way to make sure the meaty guy gets attacked first is to not be noticed until the enemy is already in melee ranged of the meaty guy.

The Glyphstone
2010-10-22, 08:44 PM
Kind of like "Look at my blade!"
*BANG*

Look at my dagger, my pistol's amazing...
*BANG*

dsmiles
2010-10-23, 09:37 AM

It's so crazy, it just might work. But next time, though.

OK. Final Build from last night:
Level 8 LG F Iosan (Elf) Gun Mage (DM bumped us up at the last minute.) Using the Kaelyssa WM mini.
S: 12, D: 16, Co: 16, I: 14, W: 12, Ch: 19
Skill Ranks: Concentration 12, Craft (Small Arms) 12, Knowledge (Arcana) 12, UMD 6
Feats: Elven Weapon Proficiencies*, Spell Focus (Divination)*, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Reload (Military Pistol), Skill Focus (Craft: Small Arms)*
Known Spells: 0 - Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic; 1 - Arcane Bullet, Chill Touch, Grease, Shocking Grasp; 2 - Blur, Glitterdust, Knock, Summon Swarm; 3 - Fly, Haste, Slow
Stuff: +1 Double-Barrel Magelock Military Pistol w/Scope Upgrade, 2x Magelock Military Pistol w/Scope Upgrade, +2 Reinforced Greatcoat, +2 Vest of Resistance, +1 Amulet of Natural Armor, +1 Ring of Protection, HHH, Type I Bag of Holding (Used as an ammo pouch), bunches of Runecast Ammo, lots of regular ammo, some Alchemist's Fire, Standard Adventuring Gear, and a Pocketwatch.
Yes, the pocketwatch is important. To me, at least.
My character's background included my village being eaten by the mists, so I grew up in Barovia (conveniently enough). One day, a battered and beaten Half-Orc barbarian showed up on my doorstep. We nursed him back to health, and he asked us to help him save Barovia (the village, not the domain), so I chose to leave off protecting my village to fight for the greater good.
Party Composition:
Me.
DM's Son: 1/2 Orc Barbarian, Caspian Battleglaive Wielder (2H, EWP, 3d4, 19-20/x3)
DM's Wife: Sick this week, but (some sort of incorporeal thing from Ghostwalk) Archivist.
Keep in Mind: We use a lot of 'Tippy'-like logic in our magic, the DM rolls in the open, and keeps his notes on a side table behind a screen.
Enough about me, though. On with the (spoilered for length)adventure:
We enter the village. (Easy enough, right?) It seems deserted, so we investigate a few buildings. Completely ransacked, like somebody was looking for something. Every single building was like that, so we stopped looking in them. I catch some movement out of the corner of my eye, down a side street. I tell the barbarian, and we choose to ignore it, for now. We continue down the main street towards the town center, and we can make out some faint groaning (sounded like, "braaaaiiiiiiinnnnnns" to me). As we get closer to the center of town, the barbarian catches some movement off in the fog. Unfortunately, he gives chase, which means I have to follow him to save his butt (he's only 8 or 9, I think).

He runs dead smack into the middle of a zombie apocalypse. "Great," I think to myself, "another zombie apocalypse." It seems like the zombies are pretty focused on breaking into the inn. I hear shouts from inside. "HELP US!" they yell. I guess there's no point in arguing, now. I'll save their butts and argue with them later. Two more zombies march in from another side street, and spot us. "Wonderful," I say.

Fortunately, the barbarian and I get the drop on the zombies. (Real hard, eh?) Just to start things off with a twist, I grease a couple of the zombies in the crowd. One of 'em goes down, and starts to flop around in the puddle. The barbarian charges the two zombies that came from the side street, and nails one. Hard. REALLY hard. It doesn't go down. "These sure ain't your mama's zombies," I yell to him. "Yeah, these buggers'r tough," he shouts back, "how many do think we got?" After I make a quick count, "More than one, less than a hundred." Then, out of nowhere, this translucent guy with a mace charges in off of yet another side street and wollops a zombie in its rotten head. The two zombies try to gnaw on the barbarian, and the third turns to attack the ghost-guy. "Well, at least he's on our side, for now," I think to myself. The rest kind of mill about pounding ineffectually on the walls and barricaded door of the inn. A couple of crossbow bolts come from the second floor, and a zombie goes down for the count.

I toss a vial of Alchemist's Fire into the puddle of grease. FOOSH! Apparently, fire and greasy zombies don't mix. Both of 'em go up in flames, but keep coming. "Crap," I say as I ready my Magelock. The barbarian takes another swing at the zombies, and misses horribly, losing his balance in the process. Ghost guy smacks around his zombie again, but doesn't seem very effective. The zombies mill around a bit, and another one's rotting clothes catch fire. One of the zombies manages to bite the barbarian, and another breaks off from the pack to start towards me. A couple more bolts come from the second story, and disappear into the crowd of zombies.

I back off a little, and drop another grease spell, overlapping the first. FOOSH! More flaming zombies. "Are we having fun yet?" I yell to the barbarian. He splits a zombie in two, and yells back, "I dunno, I don't feel so good." Great, I'm probably going to have to put him down after this fight. Ghost-guy over there disappears INTO a zombie, which proceeds to explode in a flash of pure white light and a explosion of rotten guts. Gross. The zombie on the barbarian takes a swing, and misses. The one on me hits me with its filthy, rotten claws. "OW! Quit it!" I yell at it. A couple more bolts come from the windows, and another zombie goes down.

I back off again, and level my double-barreled Magelock dead at it's face. Firing both barrels nearly takes its head clean off, but it's still standing. Mr. I'm-so-big-and-bad barbarian is starting to look a little green around the gills, so to speak, but he takes another swing at the nearest zombie and lops off an arm. The ghost-guy looks at me, winks, and wades off into the mass of milling zombies, who don't seem to notice. The zombie in front of me steps in and gnashes its claws ineffectually, and it looks like the others have managed to weaken the barricade. Another volley from the building takes out another two zombies. By now, almost half of the zombies are on fire. Yay, me!

Taking a quick step back while I focus on my Magelock, I blast the zombie in front of me with a shocking grasp. Good-bye, zombie! The barbarian smacks around his zombie a little, but it looks like his battleglave isn't working so well against these things. Ghost-guy reaches out an touches a zombie in another flash of light. That zombie turns to attack him, and misses. The zombie on the barbarian manages to bite him again, and the barbarian staggers a little. All but one of the zombies are on fire now, and the barricade is getting weaker. "Great," I say, "what's next?" A small chest of drawers comes from an open window and squishes a zombie flat. "Oh," I say. I guess the crossbows weren't fast enough.

I drop another overlapping grease puddle for good measure, and four zombies fall and wriggle around in it. FOOSH! The barbarian finishes off the second one with a flick of his sword, and moves towards the mass. Ghost-guy just stands there, and whacks one with his mace. A couple of zombies break off from the pack and head in our direction. Another heavy piece of furniture comes out the window, followed by a couple of crossbow bolts. I guess the furniture isn't fast enough, either.

I pull another Magelock, and blast a zombie in the face. This one goes down, first shot. The barbarian whacks a flaming zombie, and hopes for the best, while ghost-guy touches another zombie, with another flash, followed by falling zombie. More bolts from the windows. They must be out of furniture already.

I take time to reload both Magelocks, while the barbarian hits a zombie so hard his sword goes right through it and into the next. They both go down. He must be mad at them, or something. He's also foaming at the mouth a little. Ew. Ghost-guy over there, takes one out with his mace. The zombies are almost through the barrier, and we need to act fast. Another volley into the crowd, another zombie down.

I fire, and the shot goes wide, whilst my companion decides that pushing the zombies into the fire is a good idea. I wish he had thought of that earlier. He charges one and knocks it into the fire. Ghost-guy takes out another one, and now the barrier is on fire, too. "Wonderful," I mutter as another zombie turns towards me.

This time, I take more careful aim, and blast the zombie. Once in the guts, and once in the face, for the finish. The barbarian takes out another flaming zombie with his sword. That fire must be wearing them down. FOOSH! Wait, WHAT? Now the building is on fire too! Oops, my bad. Volley from the windows, two more zombies go down.

Ok, I drop a ray of frost to help put out the building, a little, and reload one of my single-shot Magelocks. The barbarian and ghost-guy both manage to take one out, but now the zombies have broken down the barricade and waltzed right into the building. CLANG! The zombie that was inside, falls back, with it's head smashed straight down into its neck.

I blast the last zombie, with my pistol, and the barbarian manages to finish it off. Whew!

I help to put out the fire, while the barbarian throws up all over. The ghost-guy waves his hands over the barbarian, and he starts to look a little better. We all have a little chat with the people in the inn, and learn that the mysterious Strahd vonZarovich has taken a fancy to one of the villagers. What's next? Cthulhu wants to marry the mayor? How crazy is this guy, sending a horde of zombies to kidnap one frightened girl? There's a human paladin here, and she asks us to accompany her to the temple. She believes that it's the place all the zombies came from, and her companions got separated from her two days ago. I tell her that it may just be best to let them go, if they went behind enemy lines. She's mighty insistent that we help her. Her companions can help us against Strahd, she says. I give up, at this point, we'll help her, but only so long as it doesn't interfere with me saving the village. Needs of the many, and all that.

To be continued...

We only managed to get through one encounter. One encounter with something in the neighborhood of 22 zombies. (I may not have accounted for all of the ones killed by the fire.)
Dinner and "Smallville" interrupted us, so we'll be continuing on next Friday (probably).

Leon
2010-10-23, 11:22 AM
Glad it worked out.
Look forward to further posts - i like reading about IK games (or in this case IK flavoured)

a lil bit of Fwoosh makes everything better

dsmiles
2010-10-23, 11:31 AM
a lil bit of Fwoosh makes everything better

Unless it's an inn with helpless (hapless?) zombie apocalypse survivors inside that happens to be doing the burning.

I may take Leadership next level, and pick up a Ravenloft-bound Trollkin Blackclad as a cohort. I'm not sure yet.

EDIT: Crap. I just read that Blackclads have to be human. Humans shouldn't have magic. (My character was raised to be a Mage Hunter, but was denied due to unforeseen circumstances. Like being pulled into Ravenloft.)

Leon
2010-10-23, 01:30 PM
Blackclads do - but you can still have trollkin druids, they are just another facet of worshiping Dhunia (a less common one but still aceptable)

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 10:37 AM
Blackclads do - but you can still have trollkin druids, they are just another facet of worshiping Dhunia (a less common one but still aceptable)

I've decided to go with a Warjack awakened via the Awaken Construct spell. His engine is powered by a permanent wall of fire and a decanter of endless water. By my references to 'him' and 'his', it will obviously be male patterned.

Leon
2010-10-26, 11:27 AM
"Warning: Touch the master's gun and lose an arm, meatbag!"

dsmiles
2010-10-26, 11:35 AM
"Warning: Touch the master's gun and lose an arm, meatbag!"

Pretty much. I'm not going to use an actual Warjack for stats, though. I'm going to use the Maug from FF. It's a construct, but only 2HD, +2 LA. That will give me three class levels to work with when I take the feat. It's probably going to be a Charger light warjack, even though my character is an Iosan Elf. Also, it will probably be a Stone Dragon Warblade for extra staying power (and a decent Fort save).

dsmiles
2010-10-28, 02:31 PM
Ramping up for tomorrow's game. Expect an update on Saturday morning (EDT), for those who enjoyed the last one.

EDIT: Also, the DM's wife and a n00b will be playing. the new guy's class is undecided, so I'll be giving him a basic tutorial prior to the game tomorrow.

Leon
2010-10-31, 09:44 PM
Large Warhammer and a Gun? or leaving the hand open for utility

dsmiles
2010-11-01, 04:53 AM
Large Warhammer and a Gun? or leaving the hand open for utility

Decided against it. The archivist ended up being a one-shot, the DM's wife is playing the paladin from the inn, and the n00b is going to be a ranger next week. That's enough damage output, and a little bit'o'healing.

dsmiles
2010-11-03, 11:08 AM
New challenge: Melee build (I only have 3 levels to work with, 2rhd + 2la + 3 class levels = ecl 7 character). Character has +10 str, +10 na, 25' speed, and is a construct (for all that entails).

I'm thinking Warblade, but would like more input. TWF is a must.

Leon
2010-11-03, 11:30 AM
Still on the charger like lines (or any other light)?

dsmiles
2010-11-03, 11:36 AM
Still on the charger like lines (or any other light)?

A Gorgon, so yeah, light. TWF being it's twin armblades. (We decided they're equal to large shortswords [only slashing] 1d8, slashing 19-20/x2)

EDIT: The n00b backed out. Said it looked too complicated.

dsmiles
2010-11-04, 04:47 AM
So, the DM has allowed me to use the armblades to change my unarmed strike from bludgeoning to slashing, at will. I'm thinking Monk 2 (Improved Grapple, Combat Reflexes)/Stone Dragon Warblade 1. Any thoughts?

Leon
2010-11-04, 04:57 AM
Ive been thinking about some idea's but ive not settled on any solid suggestions.

Was trying to find a inherent way of replicating its force cannon without levels in warlock

dsmiles
2010-11-04, 05:30 AM
Was trying to find a inherent way of replicating its force cannon without levels in warlock

I'm completely dismissing the force cannon. I'm going for a straight-up-melee-beast. I intend to use my grapple modifier, frequently (especially since the DM said the armblades count as natural weapons).

Leon
2010-11-04, 07:27 AM
Ok, makes sense when your a Gunmage i guess.