PDA

View Full Version : Welp, Eoris is out.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 07:41 AM
Anyone heard of this game? Apparently it's been in production for over two years, and came out at GenCon 2010 - so, just now, basically. Anyone got it?

It's very... pretty. I'm not sure whether I'm willing to shell out $100 for a setting-specific game - but then I've spent more than that on Exalted...

The official website is here (http://eorisessence.com/home.html). You can find the quick-start rules in the "Downloads" section. They don't seem too complex, but then again, these are only the "basic" rules.

Also, the character sheets: what (http://eorisessence.com/Images/Xylen_Sheet.jpg) the (http://eorisessence.com/Images/Kalei_Sheet.jpg) heck (http://eorisessence.com/Images/Sil_Sheet.jpg).

(Although the ones for the prefab characters in the quick start module are different, so these might be out of date.)

ninja_penguin
2010-10-21, 09:36 AM
Oh. My god.

Those character sheets are real? I'd seen them posted around once or twice before but nobody had any idea where they came from, and most people dismissed it as an attempt at a joke at some sort of FATAL/WoD car wreck, or just trolling people who want complicated systems.

Project_Mayhem
2010-10-21, 09:41 AM
Wow! Holy epic sheets batman!

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 09:43 AM
To be fair, once you know the system I'm sure all this information is vital and not particularly clumsy.

I mean, if you just showed a D&D 3.5 character sheet to someone, they'd just stare blankly at it...

On the other hand, I'm not sure why you need to track your character's appearance status or his emotional status.

I should read the quick start rules.

Morph Bark
2010-10-21, 09:44 AM
Wow! Holy epic sheets batman!

You can say THAT again!

EDIT: It looks to me as if those three different character sheets are for different races, as they seem to show different page numbers just besides "Species". (One other thing I already like about these sheets: page numbers to check where the rules on a specific thing are, on the character sheet right there!)

arguskos
2010-10-21, 09:45 AM
I must play this game. I MUST DAMMIT. Any game with sheets that lulz is either going to be superfail (likely) or hilarious (possible). Either way, I win. I gotta try it.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 09:52 AM
You can say THAT again!

EDIT: It looks to me as if those three different character sheets are for different races, as they seem to show different page numbers just besides "Species". (One other thing I already like about these sheets: page numbers to check where the rules on a specific thing are, on the character sheet right there!)

Yeah, there are three races, sort of. Sil, which are basically angels, Kalei, which are... sort of like demons, except not really, and Xylen, which are mortals. All three get different sorts of innate powers, it seems, and only Sil and Xylen can use 'magic'. And Kalei get... something... depending on how old they are...?

And yeah, I'm loving the page numbers. Great touch.

Morph Bark
2010-10-21, 09:55 AM
Read through the story and races on the site. Looks interesting so far. It seems to me as if those Sil are angelic/elemental type races grouped together, whilst the Xylen are more like standard DnD humanoid races (or possibly shifters of some kind, seeing as how they appear with animals all the time). The information on the lands and planet Eoris make me think at some point there will also be other planets introduced though.

Aux-Ash
2010-10-21, 09:56 AM
It certainly seem to look good... doesn't seem too easy to actually get any tangible information about the game though (except small bits of setting lore). Almost seem like they're trying to use their art as a major selling point at this stage...

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 09:56 AM
I'm getting tempted to attempt to play this quickstart module... even though it offers no customisation for characters, something I absolutely loathe in most quickstart modules.

Edit: In Downloads, under Supplements, you can download Third Contact - which has a slimmed-down version of the rules. As far as I can tell from a quick skim through, the basic mechanics are dice pools - d20s, for some reason.

Edit2: And from what I read from the one review I've been able to find, Eoris is Very Pretty. Apparently a lot of the pages have text printed right on top of the artwork.

Zeta Kai
2010-10-21, 10:08 AM
Well, the world map for the game is very pretty, but it follows almost no geophysicial laws. The rivers go every which way, & often flow from one ocean to another. The mountains are also laid out haphazardly, without regard for tectonic principles. From a cartographer's perspective, the whole map is a mess, but I have to admit the thing is very, very pretty.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 10:12 AM
Yeah, well, according to the lore the planet only half-exists anyway... sort of.

Okay, more mechanical info! Like WoD and Exalted, actions are success-based - that is, you roll a dice pool, count up the successes, and if you get enough, you succeed. A success is any result of 15 or more... usually.

Skills and traits can have a "success threshold modifier" - so, say, if your Dexterity has a modifier of -2, you need to roll a 13 or more for a success. A 1 always counts as -1 success, while a 20 always counts as 2 successes.

Simple enough? God I hope the narrator isn't meant to eyeball success threshold modifiers and can just stick to saying "okay, you need five successes to climb the wall"...

Edit: Then there's the "Essence Die", which is a special d20 that you roll whenever you roll a dice pool... if you roll a 1, something Bad happens. If you roll a 20, something Awesome happens. In either case, you get a point of energy out of it, so it's not all bad... even if you botch it and roll a 1 on the Essence Die...

ThunderCat
2010-10-21, 10:19 AM
Well, it's pretty, and the character sheets don't look that confusing, except perhaps for the parts where they've been made to be more pretty than practical. I hope the system turns out good, because it would be a shame to put all that pretty art to waste.

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-21, 10:27 AM
This is my brain.

http://www.baking911.com/images/egg.jpg

This is my brain on Eoris.

http://www.miamiresortinjurylawyerblog.com/egg.jpg

Any questions?

Zeta Kai
2010-10-21, 12:15 PM
Any questions?

Yes. Several.

Okay, really just one: What do you actually mean by that?

Comet
2010-10-21, 12:21 PM
Those character sheets look awesome. It actually grabbed my interest and it was fun to look at, unlike the goddamn tax sheet that is the D&D character sheet.

Sorry, but it needs to be said. Character sheets are important, they should look the part. Dunno about the rest of the game, but an interesting character sheet is a definite plus in my books.

Edit: Also, any game that tracks Love and Valour as important game mechanics is automatically epic!

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-21, 12:22 PM
Yes. Several.

It is an extended metaphor that stems from an old drug PSA that basically comes down to "this... is crack".

Morph Bark
2010-10-21, 12:23 PM
Yes. Several.

Brains are edible and full of protein!

Kylarra
2010-10-21, 12:39 PM
It does look very pretty. I'll have to look into this when I get home.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-21, 12:58 PM
Definitely a pretty game.
Not sure I understand it.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 01:09 PM
So, after reading the quickstart module Third Contact... I am tempted to run it.

Anyone interested?

Spiryt
2010-10-21, 01:36 PM
Dexterity divided into "broad" and "fine"? Interesting.

Generally seems like it's trying to be 'too detailed', in the sense that there always be things that are too detailed compared to others in such games, but interesting indeed!

Starbuck_II
2010-10-21, 01:36 PM
I might be after I find the quick start rules.
I found under download the character sheet/adventure. That seems to explain stuff (if that is the Quick start thing).
Anyone reading it correct me if I get anything wrong:
Psychological impulse/Stress seems to be like Exalted's Virtues (but there are more in Eoris, 17?).
11 Traits (Strength, etc).
Energy (like Exalted Motes?)

Success DC is normal 15? Essence die?
Saiea is techno magic?

Enough damage can knock you down/lose balance. Damage can also cause injuries.
6 damage types.

Page numbers would be helpful, but the thing seems to lack them in Table of contents.
Adventure starts page 19 (don't read fuerther if a player) skip to 56/61 for characters.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 01:40 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Saiea isn't really "techno magic". The creator doth protest too much. It's magic. The users just approach it scientifically, but it's still magic.

The "Essence Die" is a separate d20 you roll whenever you roll your dice pool - usually it doesn't do anything, but if you roll a 1 or a 20, you gain a point of Energy... and something Bad (for 1) or Awesome (for 20) happens.

PersonMan
2010-10-21, 01:41 PM
I'm looking at the stuff now.

The sheets, however, interest me greatly.

I'll probably want to play, unless the rules make my brain ask for the sweet embrace of death.

I'm not finding them yet, but I'll keep looking. I was ninjaed with the location of the rules by several posts.

Also, am I seeing this right? The Angel/Demon-esque things look like humans, and the morals are...definitely not humans?

JustIgnoreMe
2010-10-21, 01:43 PM
Edit: Also, any game that tracks Love and Valour as important game mechanics is automatically epic!
Oooh, you'd love Pendragon!

Kurald Galain
2010-10-21, 01:44 PM
It is an extended metaphor that stems from an old drug PSA that basically comes down to "this... is crack".

So what you're saying is that Eoris is an expensive game and you just can't put it down?

subject42
2010-10-21, 01:46 PM
So what you're saying is that Eoris is an expensive game and you just can't put it down?

He's saying that Eoris is a government-funded public service announcement and that the kids won't get any references to it in 20 years.

PersonMan
2010-10-21, 02:21 PM
Adventure starts page 19 (don't read fuerther if a player) skip to 56/61 for characters.

There isn't a 56/61 for me. The one I got is only 48 pages. The characters start on 44 for me.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 03:53 PM
There isn't a 56/61 for me. The one I got is only 48 pages. The characters start on 44 for me.

...Odd.

Welp, should I go start a recruiting thread?

Salbazier
2010-10-21, 04:59 PM
Whoa! That's a big sheet! It even has not yet finished loading in my browser. And its pretyy. Very, very pretty.

@Yuki Akuma

Yes, please! I'll definitely apply! :smallbiggrin: Man, Why I must have class today... I want to read all of this now.

Yuki Akuma
2010-10-21, 05:56 PM
Well then. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9603183#post9603183)

As there's no character creation involved it'll probably be first come first served, so... hurry!

Starbuck_II
2010-10-21, 10:20 PM
Definately interested.
Still not sure on every rule. Lots of stuff on character sheet.

Kylarra
2010-10-21, 10:47 PM
too much rules for my brains to digest right now, but I'll be watching to see how play is like. :smallsmile: