PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Lvl 20 Dr. Doom-like character

Ramza1987
2010-10-21, 01:37 PM
Well, a friend of mine, had the idea of making a lvl 20 campaign, and the two of us are fans of comics, so i had the idea, of doing a character, more or less like Dr Doom, or at least similar to him, in the way he behaves, or lives.

But, the thing is, i donīt have a build for him.. i thought of making him a wizard, with arcane disciple(war domain) just to have divine power when he feels like going melee, but thatīs it.

Any ideas, playgrounders???

Hyfigh
2010-10-21, 01:45 PM
Well, a friend of mine, had the idea of making a lvl 20 campaign, and the two of us are fans of comics, so i had the idea, of doing a character, more or less like Dr Doom, or at least similar to him, in the way he behaves, or lives.

But, the thing is, i donīt have a build for him.. i thought of making him a wizard, with arcane disciple(war domain) just to have divine power when he feels like going melee, but thatīs it.

Any ideas, playgrounders???

This is honestly about how he should be rolled. The guy seems like a Batman-style for the Marvel Universe and the best D&D Batman is a Wizard... The rest is just fluff...

He may even be a step beyond and rolling Ur-Thurge into the build, but it's certainly not necessary.

Diarmuid
2010-10-21, 01:45 PM
I guess the best place to start is giving us a list of things about Dr Doom that you want to emulate (preferably prioritized). He is a very very versatile character and trying to emulate it all, well you're looking at Batman wizard.

I know people are sick and tired of hearing Batman Wizard as the answer to their questions so a little clarification will probably go a long way to getting some constructive advice along the lines you're looking for.

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 01:53 PM
Doom is both a scientist and a sorcerer in the Marvel comics.

So I would make sure to give him powers from two sources.

Also Doombots. Have the players face Doombots first, so you know what works and what doesn't, but you can handwave off anything that doesn't by "It was just a Doombot!"

Armethious
2010-10-21, 01:56 PM
I just read a refresher on a summary of his powers here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Doom)

His first and foremost attribute is his technological genius. This could be represented in either a hi Int, or maybe even the artificer class. Then I read, "He is capable of energy projection, creating protective shields, and summoning hordes of demonic creatures" and "The alien Ovoids taught Doom the process of psionically transferring his consciousness into another nearby being through a simple eye contact" which screams Telapath.

Given his monarch status over Latveria, maybe either take the Leadership feat with an eye on getting Epic Leadership and Legandary Commander. This would replicate Latveria very well IMO. Multiclass into Thrallherd. There is no "Official" Epic Thrallherd line, but it would not be to hard to extrapolate one, or use one of the home-brewed ones out there on the web.

Just be careful not to abuse the epic spells with your believers too much. You can make some crazy 0DC epic prep spells if you factor in having hundreds or even thousands of faithful followers help you cast it. And with 0 DC, with RAW it takes no time, gold, or XP to research.

subject42
2010-10-21, 01:56 PM
I would suggest looking at an Artificer/Renegade Mastermaker. It would give him the INT focus, some armor/mechanical bits, knowledge skills, and crafting.

Ramza1987
2010-10-21, 02:09 PM
I though the part of "it was just a Doombot" by using things like Clone, or things that let me "say" it wasnīt me.

I would like mostly to have the psichological part of Dr. Doom, but emulating some of his best features, like his knowledge, and genius, his sorcery, and (obviously) his mask :smallbiggrin: i even looked at Tainted Scholar, as it has that "the more you delve in the knowledge the more corrupted you get feel; but is horribly/easily broken; and at that lvl is not even remotely funny (though my DM told me he doesnīt care, because the campaign will be mostly roleplaying and every now and then a fight or two, so my characterīs power, will not be a inconvenience).

Artificer, maybe is one of the best ways to emulate him, but iīm not into artificers, iīm too fond of wizards (before knowing they were too powerful).

Raimun
2010-10-21, 02:11 PM
Well, obviously the char needs a super high Int. The normal wizard starting Int of 18 that's augmented with levels, items, Wishes and so on to a "normal" high level wizard Int of 30+ would just be a good start.

Lot of contingencies (including a Contingency) would be in order. Also, there's one spell the character should absolutely have and that's the Simulacrum or as I see it, the Doombot-spell. Perhaps he should have researched an improved version of Simulacrum?

subject42
2010-10-21, 02:39 PM
Additionally, take leadership. Have all of your cohorts and followers dress in a uniform.

Make sure that all of your followers take max ranks in disguise for when you need distractions.

Diarmuid
2010-10-21, 02:51 PM
What level are you looking to make this into?

grarrrg
2010-10-21, 03:11 PM
Well, obviously the char needs a super high Int. The normal wizard starting Int of 18 that's augmented with levels, items, Wishes and so on to a "normal" high level wizard Int of 30+ would just be a good start.

I agree on max INT, BUT I recommend average, or slightly-below for WIS.
Yeah, the dude is smart, but he's just so FULL of himself and convinced he can never fail at anything ever.
Shortly followed by him getting his rear-end handed to him on a platter.
Also, (depending on which origin story you like) he was responsible for HIS OWN disfigurement, but refuses to believe that it could possibly have been his fault, and blames Mr. Fantastic for it.

For stats something along the lines of:
Str 12 (normal human, relies on 'power armor')
Dex 10 (normal human)
Con 12 (normal human, relies on 'power armor')
Int 18 (dude is SCARY smart)
Wis 8 (see above arguement)
Cha ? can go either way, he's a giant jerk to most everyone, BUT the people of Latveria worship him.

Then again, the above was probably just a Doom-Bot...

wayfare
2010-10-21, 03:27 PM
How about Wizard 12/Effigy Master 5/Archmage 5

Effigy master allows Doom to make disposable minions.
I'm not certain any specialty wizard would be a good idea -- Doom is more of a generalist, and has used pretty much every type of magic used in D&D. He should always have a contingency ready.

Leadership is a good idea, and remember that Doom always has a few blasty/charm/abjurations ready to go.

Some sort of spell storing item is needed, as are wands. Lots of wands.

Ramza1987
2010-10-21, 03:33 PM
Leadership is outright banned; i think i will concentrate on the contingency part and "it was a doombot" part, and have a lot of versalitility through casting, the rest, and then just roleplay the rest.

Any ideas how can i do that part, not counting contingency, and maybe clone/simulacrum, for the doombot part???

subject42
2010-10-21, 03:36 PM
Leadership is outright banned; i think i will concentrate on the contingency part and "it was a doombot" part, and have a lot of versalitility through casting, the rest, and then just roleplay the rest.

Any ideas how can i do that part, not counting contingency, and maybe clone/simulacrum, for the doombot part???

The Craft Contingent spell feat could help. It's not quite contingency. Failing that, have items and spells that can be used as an immediate action. Ruin Delver's Fortune and Wings of Cover (sorcerer only) work well for that.

Armethious
2010-10-21, 03:38 PM
If you want true versatility, then STP Erudite seems like a good choice. He could basically have any arcane spell in the game at his disposal, and he would not have to carry around the material components.

Hyfigh
2010-10-21, 03:38 PM
Perhaps he should have researched an improved version of Simulacrum?

Ice Assassin is a perfect fit. Granted, the duplicate of you wants to kill you, but it's under your 100% control... 0.o

Selrahc
2010-10-21, 03:39 PM
The closest to the feel of Doom is going to be Artificer. You won't capture the entire set of things that Doom can do.. but in 90% of his appearances the magic is very much a secondary aspect to the character. Doom uses gadgets of almost limitless variety as his first resort, and his magic can be represented through using spell scrolls.

Things like

"The alien Ovoids taught Doom the process of psionically transferring his consciousness into another nearby being through a simple eye contact" which screams Telapath.

are definitely not worth writing his character around. It's a little quirk to his powerset that he refuses to use except on extremely rare occasions. Deigning to lower himself to using a lesser beings body is not something Doom considers worthwhile.

Armethious
2010-10-21, 03:50 PM
It's a little quirk to his powerset that he refuses to use except on extremely rare occasions. Deigning to lower himself to using a lesser beings body is not something Doom considers worthwhile.

Well, my first suggestion was Artificer ;-). I am not really all that familiar with the comic book universe, so I had no idea it would be out of character for him.

But based on the suggestions in this thread, I think he can get a semi close facsimile to Dr. Doom.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-21, 04:33 PM
This is honestly about how he should be rolled. The guy seems like a Batman-style for the Marvel Universe and the best D&D Batman is a Wizard... The rest is just fluff...

He may even be a step beyond and rolling Ur-Thurge into the build, but it's certainly not necessary.

What about armor? I thought that was one of Dr. Doom's attributes or something.

Morph Bark
2010-10-21, 04:36 PM
Psion.

Int-based.

Can wear armour.

Variable energy powers = plenty of electricity stuff.

Gets bonus feats that can be Item Creation feats -> works with Dr. Doom creating stuff.

Otherwise, Psionic Artificer, or a Psion/Artificer combo.

Urpriest
2010-10-21, 04:40 PM
The Dread Emperor from BoVD seems like a D&D-ized Doctor Doom. Take a look at him for inspiration.

Ramza1987
2010-10-21, 04:50 PM
STP erudite, is better not to take it; as it is a little "broken for the rest of the gamers; Psion... may be a good option.

The Dread Emperor from BoVD seems like a D&D-ized Doctor Doom. Take a look at him for inspiration.

I will look at it.

Edit: searched for ir, and didnīt find it, are you sure that is the correct name, or book??? (also taje into account my book is in spanish :smallmad:)

Thanks for for the advice and ideas given.