PDA

View Full Version : Demon's Day

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 06:13 PM
The last rumbling crack of stone falling around you sounds, before all is quiet. The act of the mage managed to blow all the debris away from you, thankfully, as weakened as you are, you're not sure if you could have easily survived.

Around you is enough stone to create a small tower, and you face the edge of an escarpment, some three hundred feet up. Behind you begins a mountain range.

In the distance, a small village can be seen with farms around it. The sun, just moments after high noon, rises above your head.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 06:17 PM
"Ugh, if I ever see that mage again I promise to rip his head off." Drazz shakes his head, Could I build myself a tower?? "What to do first?"

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 06:20 PM
You could. There is easily enough stone here to do so. You're less certain about mortar, but you could make do.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 06:23 PM
Drazz looks at the stone, "Perhaps a delve of some sort is in order" Drazz attempts to build a small hut using mud for mortar and any nearby cliffs or hills for natural supports.

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 06:26 PM
An escarpment is basically a very small cliff, and you're at the top of it. You want to drop down and dig into the rock there? Otherwise, the land slopes downward slightly before rising into the nearby mountains.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 06:28 PM
Cart or throw the stone down first so it's all or almost all down there, and then build out of the cliff.

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 06:40 PM
It takes several hours to drop and cart the stone to the bottom of the escarpment, and several more to build the facsimile of a building using one side of the low cliff as a wall.

Several feet into the dirt and loose gravel of the wall reveals solid stone that even your prodigious strength cannot break through it.

By the time you have a crude hut built, the sun has dipped low into the sky.

Your 'hut' is a single room, sixty feet long by twenty feet wide, using the wall of the cliff as the long side. It rises roughly twelve feet into the air. Stone pillars are in the central part of the room every ten feet, supporting the larger blocks you used for a roof that required being manhandled into place. Taking out a pillar or two could easily cause the roof to cave in, though that's not easy to tell.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 06:43 PM
Drazz looks up, "I think it's just time to visit town, need to get my powers back before I go all conquerer god on this plane."
Drazz shifts into human form and walks towards town.

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 06:47 PM
The walk into town takes about an hour, and the sun is just dipping across the horizon as you come up to the edges of the farmland. There is a human man and two older boys working the field as you stride up, and the man looks at you.

"Ho there." He calls. "What brings you this way?" He casts a glance behind you.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 06:50 PM
"Well howdy! I'm just looking for a place to stay for the night, been a long walk. Stayed out in the mountains for a few days"

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 06:58 PM
"There's a tavern in town, should have a room for ya." The man says as the two boys pick up the tools. He shoos them back towards a small house standing a ways away on the other side of the field.

"Did Belvso not offer you a place though? Ya would have passed his tower for ya got here." he asks.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 07:00 PM
"Didn't see it, must've zoned out while I was thinking."

Drazz thinks to himself, "That's probably the idiot that tried to attack me"

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 07:07 PM
"Ah." The man says, though you can tell he sounds puzzled. "Anyways, tavern's the third building on the right when ya get into town, if ya walk straight in. Sign hanging outside of a mug and a hoe, if you wander around. I've gotta be getting back to the missus, so good luck."

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 07:09 PM
"Aye, goodbye my friend." Drazz wanders off looking for a military barracks so he might acquire some arms, should he not be able to find that he goes to the tavern.

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 08:47 PM
Wandering the town for a bit, you find that it's more likely to be called a village than anything proper. The tavern is easy enough to find, but you bypass it for the moment looking for something with more substance than drink.

There are two blacksmiths in the town, but neither seem to carry stocks of weapons, though there are a few half way decent hunting knives between the two. They seem to be more geared towards supporting the town through peace than war.

There is no barracks that you can find, nor does there seem to be any number of guards of any sort.

For the moment, getting your hands on a weapon doesn't seem to be completely feasible. Instead, you head to the tavern to see what slop the mortals have here.

The tavern has a fair number of people in it, mostly locals from the way they talk to each other and stare at you as you enter. After a moment, the talk picks back up again and you are ignored, for the most part. Although, you can tell that there are any number of people that keep glancing at you, trying to figure out why you are here.

Going up to the bar, the man there asks what you're having. He appears to be the first nonhuman in this Prime. Although, the difference appears to be slight, what with only the tanned red skin and shockingly white hair.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 09:00 PM
Drazz looks over the bar tender and then offers his hand, "I'm Garald Sonahue, just got into town. Got any jobs you need done? I'm low on funds."

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 09:09 PM
The bartender takes the offered hand. "I'm Dajsan. You planning on moving in, or are you just drifting through? Makes a difference on the work I might offer you."

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 09:14 PM
Drazz shakes hands with the man, "Firm grip there sir, I'm planning on building a house just outside town, but I guess for now I could work off the costs to stay here and get a few extra coins if you're all up and willing?"

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 09:25 PM
"You can't build a house just outside of town, Garald. It just extends the town to you. You'll have to negotiate with one of the landowners though, unless you go all the way outside the farms. But as for work, if you're willing to help around here I can see my way to a bed and meals, and a few coins for spending. You good at anything in particular, or do I just get to make you scrub floors and muck the barn?" Dajsan smiles.

And here I thought you didn't like dealing with the mortals. :P

You still need to update your sheet with the right DR and your description.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 09:28 PM
I know form experience that killing everything isn't always the best option, although this village seems weak and easily dominated. Also sorry, I'm DMing a campaign and sting up a few characters.

"I got a right strong arm, although anything to make a few extra coins is fine with me. Hell if ya want I'll throw out the rowdy"

Can I use slam in human form?

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 09:40 PM
S'alright, don't worry.

Also, yes, you can use slam in human form, since it's just an alternate form that still has access to your original self. However, since you are a soft fleshy person, it'll be subdual damage unless you take the -4 to make it lethal bludgeoning.

Dajsan chuckles. "They don't get too rowdy around here unless my wife gets it into her head she wants to dance. Then they drink enough to think they can take advantage. But an strong man won't hurt at all. Let me show you where everything's at. If you're as strong as you think you are, I'll probably have you helping to haul things around here as well."

If you have no objections, Dajsan will show you around his tavern, showing you where he keeps extra barrels of the local brew, a small room that you can stay in, and the kitchen. Two red skinned women are working in the kitchen, and one is watching a small child toddle around. The child stops and stares at you, blinking for a moment before going on about his business.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 09:42 PM
"Aye think you could show me the works?"

I don't want to do no harm yet, atleast nothing permanent.

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 09:57 PM
Dajsan introduces you to his wife Sfiri, her sister Ayanc, and his nephew Xerzed. The two women greet you while they are working on a meal and Ayanc asks you to keep an eye out for her boy if he gets into any trouble.

The tavern is one of the larger buildings in the town, seating a good sixty people when completely full, although it's barely half full tonight.

Dajsan works you well, plumbing the depths of your strength by having you move a couple of the kegs that have to each weigh a couple hundred pounds so that they may be tapped. After the meal is spread out for everyone, Dajsan also offers you a meal.

Around midnight, one of the men come up to you, obviously drunk. "Sssoo..." he slurs, his breath quite rank, "whoo're joo? Yain't here for Betzy, are ya?"

Across the room, you see Dajsan roll his eyes.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 10:00 PM
Drazz huffs, "I'm new here, I'm just trying to find a place to live" When he finishes he shuffles past the man and strides over to Dajsan. "Thanks for the meal, and the work. Been a time long and gone since I worked so hard"

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 10:06 PM
"Oh..." The drunkard appears to have a hard time connecting the dots, but finally some dim light seems to dawn. Possibly. "Juz don't be going after mah Betzy, hear me?"

When you approach Dajsan and speak, he nods. "You're not a bad worker, either. Go ahead and head back to the room I showed you and catch some sleep, they're all heading for their homes as well."

Seeing as how you don't actually have to sleep, going to do anything overnight?

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 10:09 PM
"I'm not one for sleep, some genetic thing about being part elven or something? I'm not sure. Anything I could do overnight?"

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 10:14 PM
Dajsan looks puzzled. "Elven?"

And welcome to the first ping on 'Arcana Evolved is different from 3.5e, just slightly.'

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 10:15 PM
Never fully read through that... XD

"Something about my ancestry long since past. My parents never explained it, said it made me different" Drazz looks down, "You won't fire me will you?"

iThulhu
2010-10-21, 10:19 PM
"Nah, I'm one of the few verrik in town, you think I would fire you for being slightly different?" Dajsan shakes his head. "But there's not much to do around here at night, nothing really to steal so we don't even have a need for a guard, really. Sorry bout that."

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-21, 10:21 PM
Drazz looks up smiling, "I might go beat up a tree then, got to keep myself in shape"

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 08:17 AM
"Your call, Garald." Dajsan says.

If nothing else, what remains of the night passes quietly.

Are you looking to do something specific, or just trying to get in good with the locals?

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 10:19 AM
Drazz shakes the man hand a final time, then walks out heading towards the forest or something with trees nearby. Once out of sight of the tavern he turns and heads for the farm house he passed earlier (The one whos owner talked to me)

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 11:47 AM
If there had been any nearby forest, it has mostly disappeared to the farms and surrounding countryside. However, you are able to move beyond the town enough to be out of eyesight long enough to double around back to the farmland you walked by originally.

Morning or still night before?

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 11:52 AM
Still night

Drazz looks at the house inspecting for lights.
Spot check?
"Time for some mayhem, hehe"

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I've rolled it for you. I just neede to know whether it was the morning or evening, seeing as how it makes a difference.

The home of the farmer is modest, make of stone with a shale roof. Obviously mined from the nearby mountains. A single story building, it has several windows and at four hours or more before dawn, no illumination can be seen.

Peering into the windows you find the farmer asleep with his wife through one, the two older sons asleep in another, and a common room through a third.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 12:04 PM
Drazz looks into the common room, thinking to himself "Hmm, perhaps I kill them, take the stuff to my humble cave." He then changes form to a half orc and teleports himself into the common room.

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 12:26 PM
Your form shifts and bends, leaving a half-orc in the place of the human. Reaching into yourself, you break a hole in the fabric of reality and shift yourself through it, appearing in the middle of the common room.

The room itself seems fairly mundane, however. A portion of it is given over to a kitchen type area, and then a table and chairs are littered in the room. The door into the house is barred and would have required breaking to get into.

Two closed doorways lead into the other bedrooms.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 01:01 PM
Is teleport at will? Cause If so I'd like to grab what I can and teleport myself as close to my cave hut as I can and just do taht till the kitchens empty.

Move Silenty [roll0]
Hide Check [roll1]

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 01:07 PM
It's Dimensional Door at-will. At your level, you can run 600 feet a d-door. So you do about a mile a minute, so say about six minutes of straight D-doors to get back to your hidey-hole.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 01:09 PM
I assume I could clean out the kitchen in that time?

Drazz thinks, "Do I kill them? Yep I need a bed"

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 01:11 PM
Everything in the kitchen is all of not much. Take away everything electrical in your own kitchen, and what's left? But yeah, you could swipe everything in one load.

Who's dying first?

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 01:11 PM
Drazz looks around for a moment and then teleports off to the adults room.

Can I coup de grace with slams?

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 01:14 PM
Yes, you can. It'd be suitably gorey, however.

Passing silently through the ether into the next room, you find the two adults lying asleep next to each other, both appear to be nude under the light sheet.

There is a standing wardrobe, a dresser, and a few other pieces of sundry furniture, all looking homemade. The room is fairly well kept, but utilitarian.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 01:18 PM
Would it wake the other to coup de grace one of them?

If so then I'll attempt to sneak snatch everything in the room. If not COUP DE GRACE!

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 01:22 PM
It'd be likely to wake the other up, yes, as the way they lay might do it.

The furniture takes a double trip to move, mainly because of the weight of the wardrobe is surprisingly heavier than expected. Within a half hour though, you are standing in a bare room, save the bed with the two occupants.

Time spent so far, 36 minutes, including the kitchen steal.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 02:04 PM
Drazz looks at them. "Murder the lot, risk waking them up, or, clean out the rest of the house, and perhaps murder the children, paint satanic signs in blood, make sure one of them identifies me as a Half Orc."

With that Drazz blinks into the childrens room, looking around.

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 02:09 PM
Not quite so much children as elder teens that have yet to leave the parents home, the two boys sleep quietly in beds on opposite sides of the room. Here, at least, is something of a bit more interest. A well kept staff leans against a wall, and a small pouch sits on a desk. A silent peek shows mostly coppers with a few silvers inside of it, most likely all of one of the boys money.

Two smaller wardrobes are in the room, and a small handmade chest sits at the foot of one of the beds.

These two, it would be easy to kill without the other becoming aware.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 02:29 PM
Drazz amiles, then snaps the neck on the both of them, then cuts or rips open the chest and paints satanic symbols all over the room. He then teleports everything in the room but the bodies back to his cave, being as quiet as possible.

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 02:36 PM
It is all too easy to snuff the lives out of the two sleeping teens, and painting the room with care is nothing once a suitable brush is found. A wristbone dipped into the heart of his brother does nicely.

You take enough time to completely cover the room in arcane sigils that glorify the might of daemonic kind after you take everything beyond the bodies that are your source of ink, and stand back like a truly mad Picasso, admiring your work. It might even be enough to snap the sanity of the weaker minded mortals just on viewing.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 02:41 PM
Drazz laughs inside his head and then blinks to the parents room, punching the father as hard as he can (without causing death unless I punch that hard) and making it look like he's attempting to kill so that both parents get a good look at him being a half orc. The second that he thinks they've gotten a good enough look he uses darkness and teleports to the other edge of town transforming back to his human form the second he can and walking to the Inn.

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 05:45 PM
Your punch is strong enough to both wake up the father, and then knock him senseless once more. The hit is strong enough that is knocks him half way off the bed, causing the woman to wake, startled.

At the sight of you and her unconscious husband, she lets out a scream of terror.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 05:50 PM
Drazz uses darkness and teleports to the far side of town (or at least as far away from the house as I can that's near the town but still out of view) The second he finishes he turns back in to Garald

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 05:58 PM
The small amount of light available in the room disappears as the spell takes hold, before you vanish once more.

Several hundred feet away, you appear once more and take the form of the human Garald.

Good lungs on that woman, as you can hear her screams even from where you appeared at in the dark, and you hear other homes begin to wake up as she continues to scream, her voice taking on a quality that would not be out of place in the shrill screech of a harpy. She must have found her boys.

By the way, I'm capping you at the two forms for Alternate Form, unless you buy it again. It's not a Succubus' Change Shape ability, with an infinite number of forms. Unless you can point me to where you got it from that it's infinite.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 06:00 PM
I thought it was sorry. Although two is fine, one for town, one for umm mischief XD

Drazz looks around pretending to be shocked, and runs for the screams, looking for anyone on the way, and should he see anyone, he shouts, "WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!"

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 06:08 PM
Nope, low level abilities are usually limited. By the way, thanks for playing your PCs Int, because this just made it too easy to mess with you now.

It only takes a few minutes for a large portion of the town to get whipped up over what has happened. With only the hysterical screams of the woman to go on, the townsfolk quickly begin looking for the monster that stole everything from the family and killed the two young men.

And fairly quickly, they turn to you. In the dark of the night and only for a few moments, all the woman could see was a humanoid figure, a hulking brute.

Quickly, at least a dozen of the townfolk begin shouting questions at you, the only thing that has changed in the town in the last twenty four hours.

"You! It was you, wasn't it!"

"Explain yourself!"

Very quickly, it looks like they're going to want to mob you. Although the mortals really don't know what they're getting into. If you want to have any chance of winning them over without killing them all, the chance is now and small.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 06:13 PM
Yes even I forgot that my guy was rather large....

"Hey me?!? I'm a lover not a fighter. I wouldn't do anything unless I had to! Someone just tell me what happened!!!!"

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 06:17 PM
Small town, you're the only new person, hysterical woman, something bad happens the first night.

You've whipped the town up when you're the only visible target. Even if it was a coincidence, you'd still have an angry group of people.

"Myrta's boys are dead and her husband's out cold. You killed them, didn't you!"

At those words, angry mutters begin to stew in the group, which is now attracting a few more people.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 06:19 PM
Yes but panicing them is even better, they'll be easier targets for my eventual take over!

"What? Tha.." Drazz leans over and breathes heavily, "That's just wrong! I could, I would never! By the gods I could never"

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 06:37 PM
A woman's voice speaks up behind you, from further in the town. "Prove it." Turning, it is Sfiri. Her eyes glitter for a moment. "You have magic sticking to you. Release whatever magic it is and prove yourself."

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 06:43 PM
"Wha.. What?! Magic!?! I don't even know how to read a spellbook. If there's any like magical pixie dust on me I probably picked up while I was out camping." Drazz looks around eyes wide, inside however he was laughing. Laughing a dead mans laugh, one who knows nothing can change what has been done.

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 06:53 PM
Sfiri tilts her head, focusing on you for a moment. "It's an active spell. Either you've cast it, or it's been cast on you and is still active. Either way, you were most likely involved with what happened."

Something brushes against you, magically speaking, but your innate magical resistance brushes back and it fails.

Sfiri frowns, and is about to speak.

A: You have no spellcraft.
B: There was no gestures or anything that spoke of that magic, so you don't have any clue to what was just cast on you.

Actions, before Sfiri or the crowd reacts to her words?

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 06:54 PM
If I can speak

"What? If you can sense it how do I know you didn't do it? Wouldn't that be perfect? A new guy comes to town and then you go on a killing spree?!?!"

Tell me if it starts to seem like I'm being too smart for my guy

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 06:59 PM
"A simple magic detection reveals an aura of alteration on you. I cannot touch your thoughts to confirm your innocence. I have lived in this town for twelve years, and I have been requested many times to prove the truth of someone."

She looks at the crowd now gathered, almost twenty people. "And you are the first to rebuff it. Before it even had a chance to touch your mind, my magic was rebuffed. Which means you are powerful enough that we will need to send for Belvso to find out the truth. Will you remit yourself to being watched while we send someone for the magister?"

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 07:02 PM
"I'll prove my innocence, of course! Go ahead and watch me. You'll find I'm innocent"Drazz looks around, "You all can't seriously think I could do this!?!"

iThulhu
2010-10-22, 07:08 PM
"We've never had something like this happen. You show up and it does. It's suspicious, regardless." One man says, stepping forward from the crowd. "Gregor, we're going to use your cellar, do you mind?" he asks a man near him, who nods. You see his fists are clenching and unclenching as he watches you.

"Gregor's cellar is sturdy enough that it should suffice until Belvso gets here. Sfiri, could you...?"

She nods and turns to leave.

"The rest of you, continue looking for anyone or anything else."

If you do nothing, the mob is going to disburse and look for the monster.

KingOfLaughter
2010-10-22, 07:12 PM
Well well, seems I'm in a rut, or atleast about to take over this town in it's whole.

"Let's go, if it sets your minds at ease I'll sit in the basement."