PDA

View Full Version : Taking over for another DM...

VarianArdell
2010-10-22, 04:31 AM
Well, a friend of mine decided to move, and I'm taking over his campaign. There's only one problem with that: the world we were in was completely made up, and in his head. Communication is difficult, due to the circumstances behind his move, so I can't really get any information about the world other than what I already have. So, what do you think I should do?

Gnomo
2010-10-22, 04:34 AM
The only thing you can do, fill in the gaps. You will have to create the world from what you already have, in case that you like what's already there.

VarianArdell
2010-10-22, 04:48 AM
The only thing you can do, fill in the gaps. You will have to create the world from what you already have, in case that you like what's already there.

That's the problem, though; I don't really know a whole lot about the world, outside of one city.

Although, I'm talking to a player that I'd be DMing for, and he suggested that I wrap up the current story arc (which involves resuing one of our party from an insane Incantatrix :smalleek:), then transfer them to another world (either one I've made up [most likely] or a pre-built one). Any ideas along those lines?

PopcornMage
2010-10-22, 07:02 AM
I'd vote for a new game if I was a player in that situation.

If you must keep the characters, have them captured by transdimensional raiders.

Ernir
2010-10-22, 07:05 AM
Since you can't pick his brains for information... well, just try to get the idea that it's his game out of your head. You're the DM now. It's not his way or the wrong way. You need to do your own thing.

big teej
2010-10-22, 10:28 AM
Since you can't pick his brains for information... well, just try to get the idea that it's his game out of your head. You're the DM now. It's not his way or the wrong way. You need to do your own thing.

this, its YOUR world now.

especially if you have little information, make the world yours, leave in that city as kind of a tribute to him or something if you wish.

or have godzilla munch on it and obliterate it after the party leaves

you are the DM. the world isyours (until the party takes it from you )

Lord Vampyre
2010-10-22, 11:40 AM
this, its YOUR world now.

This is the most important thing. When you are the DM, whether your running in a standard setting, one you've created, or a setting created by your friend, it is ultimately your world.

The lack of information is actually a blessing for you. It means that your players won't have any preconcieved notions on what lies beyond the city. There isn't really a need to transfer the party to a whole new world. You'll get the same effect by just having them leave the town that they're in and going some place else.

doc*sk
2010-10-22, 11:43 AM
I agree that you have to make the world yours. I would start small though. Maybe focus on one geographical location and make it yours. Sure that might not be the way they did it in "back-theres-ville" but here in "this place" that is just normal.

But if you want to go big:

have godzilla munch on it and obliterate it after the party leaves

Earthquakes or big natural disasters could rock the entire continent. That would mix things up.

Start a massive war. Or open the gates of the Abyss. :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2010-10-22, 11:48 AM
Another possibility: interrupting the BBEG as they're in the middle of the Planar Junction Ceremony flings the whole party into a different time/continent/plane of existence. Presence of Samurai optional, awesomeness ensues.

Sipex
2010-10-22, 11:54 AM
Poke your new players for all the information they have about the current world.

From there you can build on it without messing with what they already know.

Dienekes
2010-10-22, 11:55 AM
That's the problem, though; I don't really know a whole lot about the world, outside of one city.

Do any of the other players? Not the original GM but those you're GMing for. If they do, sit them down say that if they want to keep the campaign give whatever info they have available to you and understand that your not the original GM so some minor details may be awry and roll with it.

If no one knows what is happening outside the city, jackpot. You have free reign to make whatever crazy you want.

Ruinix
2010-10-22, 11:56 AM
make the BBEG appear and try to screw the all party and the all city with some mambo jambo ritual or something, then something (maybe your players) screw his attempt and they all are thrown to another plane // the BBEG, the party and the city.

Tvtyrant
2010-10-22, 11:58 AM
Have the city leaders have a xenophobic reaction and throw out all the foreigners. The party is banned from the city forever.

PopcornMage
2010-10-22, 11:58 AM
Poke your new players for all the information they have about the current world.

Let's see my character is beloved and worshiped throughout the land, with wealth being showered upon...

:smallwink:

Dienekes
2010-10-22, 12:00 PM
Let's see my character is beloved and worshiped throughout the land, with wealth being showered upon...

:smallwink:

And have your DMG on hand, ready to be thrown at any player who tries to pull this.

Sipex
2010-10-22, 12:08 PM
Just tell them that you'll check with the DM about everything they say and then send him an email or something so you can get his weigh-in.

Even if it's months later you can bring it up if the truth is different.