PDA

View Full Version : reward for an 8th lvl artificer who killed a god

Elvenoutrider
2010-10-22, 09:38 AM
Fellow playgrounders, in my last d&d session my adventuring party successfully tracked a yui tan cult to a set of ancient ruins in the middle of the jungle. finding the area surrounded in an antimagic feild that stopped everything but the yui tan casters, we were forced to stop their ritual sacrafices using the only thing available to us - 60 gallons of oil, marbles, and caltrops held in a bag of holding. These things together, emptied on top of the crowd of cultists created a sufficient distraction to halt the ritual. After a long battle with their cult leader and a group of mind flayers in attendance, we scattered the congregation. Our party dragon shaman, in triumph shouted "Where is your God Now". In a moment of face palming irony, the walls of the ruins came down to reveal "a snake that dwarfed whales in terms of its size" Feeling the magic return to the room, myself and the barbarian stepped forward and simply sai "We got this" We charged at the beast leaving the party to escape.

5 rounds later we were lodged in its throat using our armor spikes, blasting the monster from the inside. finally, realizig i was about to die, allowed myself to slide into the monsters stomach where I detonated 10 blast disks. This, on top of the fact that I was apparently posessed by a balor, who also exploded, managed to kill the giant snake, and the party barbarian.

This giant snake turned out to be sertreus, the elder evil.

The gods that day smiled at the heroes who slew a beast capable of destroying the world.

The barbarian became a risen marter (+2 template from the BOED), and was immediatly brought back to life

On the other hand, the dm really has no idea what to give my character for all of this. My character is chaotic neutral to the extreme. He is a mad scientist themed artificer who is at the moment hanging out with the slaad in limbo (they think my character is totally awesome). Basically my dm is looking for a reward to give me based on my time hanging out with the slaad in tha chaos of limbo, but as far as I know there is no template that is really appropriate for this. My dm would much rather give me more class abilities than items, and the campaign is level by dm fiat. I will already be brought back to life at the same lvl as the rest of the party.

No suggestion is too silly for this campaign

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 09:41 AM
No suggestion is too silly for this campaign
That goes without saying.
Chaos creature template should do.

One Step Two
2010-10-22, 09:46 AM
They can rebuild you, They Have the Techno-magic!

Your character keeps all characteristics of his race, and is reborn as a Warforged!

Vemynal
2010-10-22, 09:59 AM
They can rebuild you, They Have the Techno-magic!

Your character keeps all characteristics of his race, and is reborn as a Warforged!

^-maybe with all the bonuses received by a 'monster' construct as well?

DrWeird
2010-10-22, 10:01 AM
Phrenic/Chaos/Pseudonatural/Half-Golem Warforged.

Quietus
2010-10-22, 10:19 AM
I'd start with immunity to fear, but it sounds like you might already have that. :smalltongue:

Perhaps the Pseudonatural template, as the fthagn energies from the Elder Evil suffuse your mortal body, which is incapable of handling such things?

Paladineyddi
2010-10-22, 10:31 AM
Your campaign sounds awesome ^^

Thrawn183
2010-10-22, 11:31 AM
Make some piece of the corpse contain the god's essence that the artificer can drain an infinite amount of xp from for crafting. It's a heck of a nice reward, but moderated that he still needs the gold for the components and the in-game time to craft stuff.

Ruinix
2010-10-22, 11:38 AM
Your campaign sounds awesome ^^

i was feeling the same healthy envy.

chaos template warforged, retain your mental stats. and ofcourse, attacked by any yuan ti on sight on any plane. and maybe, be raided by yuan ti in time to time :p after all u kill their god.

Diarmuid
2010-10-22, 12:17 PM
So you were able to open your bag of holding within the anti magic field?

subject42
2010-10-22, 12:40 PM
The chaotic "unfinished" template from Planar Handbook might work nicely. It grants fast healing, some energy resistance, smite law, and eventually damage reduction.

Elvenoutrider
2010-10-22, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions,

ps: It was a selective plot device antimagic field which left out a few items

Accersitus
2010-10-22, 06:32 PM
Well, I would make some random charts with buffs, and have the player roll on the charts to see what he gets.
This could be related to me thinking of the warhammer/warhammer40k chaos
gods when chaos is mentioned.

ffone
2010-10-22, 07:32 PM

lol, my thought too.

Sounds like a lot of DM fiat actually =P. Plot Convenience Antimagic Field, and the Balor Ex Machina death throes.

Very amusing scene though!

Ashram
2010-10-22, 07:55 PM
I was reading through the first post and I was like, "Wait, what the hell is a yui tan..." And then I realized he meant yuan-ti. Not to mention, it's Sertrous. :P

The gods would definitely bestow some kind of blessing on you, maybe some nuts template.

megabyter5
2010-10-22, 10:11 PM
The chaotic "unfinished" template from Planar Handbook might work nicely. It grants fast healing, some energy resistance, smite law, and eventually damage reduction.

You mean Anarchic, right? I looked that up just now, and I noticed something odd when comparing it to Axiomatic. The LA for Axiomatic is base creature +4, but for Anarchic it's just +5. In the spirit of an Anarchic creature, I now choose to believe that the +5 overrides any LA you may have had before that. I'm thinking Anarchic Troll sounds good. I'd stack more templates on, but I'm sure that would jinx it.

Psyren
2010-10-22, 10:24 PM

Quiet, you! :smallamused:

Still, awesome campaign... I shudder to think what their gestalt games are like.

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 10:59 PM
Still, awesome campaign... I shudder to think what their gestalt games are like.
Your standard for awesome confuses me.
Then again, it's a matter of taste.

Psyren
2010-10-22, 11:04 PM
Your standard for awesome confuses me.
Then again, it's a matter of taste.

...He suicide-bombed an Elder Evil! Using a balor as C4! And took the party barb with him! What do you mean it's not awesome?! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle8px80d2wm3pd?from=Main.WhatDoYouMeanItsNotAw esome) :smalltongue:

Merk
2010-10-22, 11:13 PM
Quiet, you! :smallamused:

Agreed. Also awesome DM.

Skaven
2010-10-22, 11:45 PM
Make him a (Robo?) Slaad.

... Just cuz.

RelentlessImp
2010-10-23, 12:21 AM
Paragon Template. Because you're a goddamned paragon of insanity.

dgnslyr
2010-10-23, 12:43 AM
Ten tons of pure gorgonzola cheese. Who wouldn't want it?

Callista
2010-10-23, 03:52 AM
You want chaos? How about a random chance of activating a wild magic effect whenever you attack?

'course, your wild magic list will need to be something that won't screw your party members over, but it could be fun.

Balor01
2010-10-23, 04:10 AM
This is a god? Man, this is dissapointing.

I really liked ability to spellcast in AMF, snakes being very intimate with magic (Mershaulk, Pun Pun, etc ...) but to have a God killed with spikes and 10 blast disks? That is just silly.

I think PCs should lvl-up and wake up, realising their victory was just a dream (they all failed five consecutive DC 233 Will saves) ... chained, with regeneration ability in a cursed extraplanar bog, where they are eaten by little snake worms who also lay their eggs in their bodies. Forever.

Such is power of gods, moreover evil, magic-attuned, snake gods.

10 blast disks. Oh my ...

Coidzor
2010-10-23, 04:36 AM
You know those feats one gets for worshiping an elder evil?

Get a couple of those for killing it.

Lev
2010-10-23, 06:26 AM
+ Free leadership feat.
+ Fame Score (UA)
+ Leadership Score (DMG)
+ 2 Knowledge [Religion]
+ 2 to Oratory
+ Poison Immunity
+ 2 to Knowledge Checks, AC, attack rolls, damage rolls, and social checks with Scalykind.
+ Venom of Sertreus (Sp) - 1/Day - If you have prepared a spell component or foci to be covered with any applied poison then once per day you may apply that poison with the spell the material component or focus is used with.
+ Gaze of Sertreus (Sp) - 1/Day - Gaze Attack, DC 5+HD#, Deal 2D6Dex if foe fails her save.

Good?

true_shinken
2010-10-23, 08:13 AM

I really liked ability to spellcast in AMF, snakes being very intimate with magic (Mershaulk, Pun Pun, etc ...) but to have a God killed with spikes and 10 blast disks? That is just silly.

+1 to this.

Psyren
2010-10-23, 08:31 AM

Your username hints at the real reason this would bother you :smallwink:

Starbuck_II
2010-10-23, 08:38 AM

I think PCs should lvl-up and wake up, realising their victory was just a dream (they all failed five consecutive DC 233 Will saves) ... chained, with regeneration ability in a cursed extraplanar bog, where they are eaten by little snake worms who also lay their eggs in their bodies. Forever.

Such is power of gods, moreover evil, magic-attuned, snake gods.

10 blast disks. Oh my ...

You might hate Conan when killed a similar god.

You may be thinking of ultimate power gods: But greek/Norse gods theme exist too.
The Greek/Norse are powerful but killable.

true_shinken
2010-10-23, 08:44 AM
You might hate Conan when killed a similar god.

You may be thinking of ultimate power gods: But greek/Norse gods theme exist too.
The Greek/Norse are powerful but killable.

I think he meant the whole 'bomb/didn't know I had a balor in me, tee-hee' was goofy. Which was probably the intent of the whole thing. People dig silliness.

Balor01
2010-10-23, 09:57 AM
Balor does 100 points of dmg (save DC 30) when killed. 100 points! For a god that is nothing. I mean i see feasible that a batman who can cast at a CL of 38.000 somehow temporarily kills a god. But this? Hell no.

Then again even silly lizard shaman with an ability to polymorph himself into a colossal snake and has Persuade check up the wazoo may in fact be able to convince some yuan-ti, he is in fact a god.

While Mershaulk laughs his ass off due to incoming pwnage for little scaly polymorpher which he sees in the future due to his deific attributes.

Oh man. This is so silly.

BunnyMaster42
2010-10-23, 10:36 AM
Well, to be honest, Sertrous and the other Elder Evils aren't really gods in the normal sense. But even then, they're still quite powerful.

I'm going to assume they were fighting the Avatar of Sertrous straight from the book. It has 460 hp, fast healing 10, and DR 20/cold iron and lawful. If i'm correct, 10 blast disks plus balor death throws would do 50d6+100 points of damage. That averages out at about 300 points I believe. So, it's not entirely unreasonable to assume the party managed to kill it as it, and it becomes even more likely if the DM toned the encounter down a bit.

Anywho, back on topic.

If your eally want to play up the sciency bit of your character, why not go for the half golem template (without the massive penalties to intelligence and charisma). This way, you can simulate the whole cyborg experience, and make it seem like you were truly rebuilt after suicide bombing a god.

Grommen
2010-10-23, 12:04 PM
Ya know what?

They called out an elder evil, and he showed up. And instead of running, at least two charged in. Then they blew up ala Daffy Duck Style. I mean you only get to do that once right? Blam!!!!!! Everything is atomized. Everyone gets free cooked snake meat for dinner :smallbiggrin:

Wile normally I would frown upon such stillyness this is pretty bad ass.

Honestly I would keep the characters dead due to the fact that was one epic way to go out. Stories need be written, songs sung, perhaps even a festival named in their honor.

But if they got saved by a real god(or worse), and brought back, well I would say they need at least be known forever as "Gods bane". Get like +4 to everything damm thing when fighting greater powers (gods, demon lords, dukes of hell, elder evils etc.) And just for chits and giggles make the powers make a fear check when facing the "Gods Bane" I mean they will make the save, it's just the principal of it all. These two can can kill gods for the love of the...ya gods. :smallamused:

O and the Sorc gets a free new 3rd level spell.....I am borrowing it from the World of Warcraft RPG.

Kaboom!
Because sometimes you have to go out with a bang
Level: 3rd Sorc/Wizard
Duration: Right freeken now
Range: Person
Area of effect: 10 feet / level radius
Components: Small vial of Nitro Glyscerin
Saveing throw: You don't get no stinken save
Spell Resistance: See Saveing throw.

Once cast this spell does 2d6 points of damage per caster level to all in effected area. The caster is immediately slain and immolated and can not be raised by any means what so ever. Hell of a trick, but you can only do it once.

Endarire
2010-10-23, 05:41 PM
DM: "You've killed a god! Ready for your reward?"
Player: "Lay it on me, chief!"
DM: "You're DMin' next. I'm done with this stint!"

It's all said in good fun, of course.

true_shinken
2010-10-23, 07:33 PM
DM: "You've killed a god! Ready for your reward?"
Player: "Lay it on me, chief!"
DM: "You're DMin' next. I'm done with this stint!"

It's all said in good fun, of course.

Now that is awesome.

Lord Bingo
2010-10-23, 07:52 PM
It sounds to me like your campaign is based around having ridiculous fun:smallamused: It is not my style of game but thats ok:smallwink:

Given that you basically vaporized you character inside the body of a snake god I think that it would only be appropriate that you essence has fused with that of the snake thus making it impossible to separate you from it when the cosmos conspired to bring you back. Hence I suggest that you get to remake your character as a yuan-ti by simply applying the new race to your existing character keeping your "soul". You'll basically get a bunch of new cool abilities for your character (as well as a new sleek body:smallwink:) . If that is too much for your DM you might suggest that you become only half a yuan-ti.

Callista
2010-10-23, 08:08 PM
Doesn't it depend on how powerful the gods in your campaign are? I mean, I know a lot of us are from countries where "God" means omnipotent, but that's not the case with D&D deities; they're simply very powerful beings, and it's possible, though extremely unlikely, to get the drop on them. In this case, I can only guess this particular god was roughly equivalent, in terms of stats, to an Epic level monster--not something you'd expect 8th levels to kill, but still--and this is the important part--killable. If it can be killed, D&D players will find a way to kill it.

You were also aided significantly by the element of surprise; ancient evil deities who have been worshiped by remote tribes for centuries don't generally expect people to do any more than cowering in front of them. By actually attacking, you probably got just enough of an advantage that the deity in question lost its presence of mind enough to swallow what amounted to two very angry pointy land mines. (There's precedent. Snakes have been known to swallow things too big for them. But usually they don't have the at least ~20 INT expected of a deity.) Additionally, there are strategic possibilities that would not be feasible otherwise but which open up if you consider your character expendable; so in a way your characters were somewhat more powerful than 8th level.

This would be the kind of encounter that a DM would have to say had mitigating circumstances that made the encounter level a lot lower than the Epic encounter it should've been.

true_shinken
2010-10-23, 10:22 PM
Doesn't it depend on how powerful the gods in your campaign are? I mean, I know a lot of us are from countries where "God" means omnipotent, but that's not the case with D&D deities; they're simply very powerful beings, and it's possible, though extremely unlikely, to get the drop on them. In this case, I can only guess this particular god was roughly equivalent, in terms of stats, to an Epic level monster--not something you'd expect 8th levels to kill, but still--and this is the important part--killable. If it can be killed, D&D players will find a way to kill it.
Thing is, they killed a stated monster in a way that wouldn't kill it. Looks like the kind of game where players just always win.

BunnyMaster42
2010-10-24, 02:07 AM
Thing is, they killed a stated monster in a way that wouldn't kill it. Looks like the kind of game where players just always win.

Not necessarily. As I've already pointed out the blast discs and the balor blast deal about 300 points of damage on average, which is a good chunk of its health. it's not entirely unreasonable that after 5 rounds of blasting away at the Elder Evil they managed to do 100+ points of damage.

Now, I'm not saying the whole sitation wasn't awesomely silly, just that it could be possible without any major DM interference at least.

Skaven
2010-10-24, 02:23 AM
If they're all having fun they're playing the game right.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-24, 02:32 AM

+100. i agree with this 1000%

Dr Bwaa
2010-10-24, 03:07 AM
Have them rebuild you as a Warforged Incarnate Construct. Very sketchy if that can even happen by RAW, but very funny (and strong, because if you're coming back at the same ECL, you just net +2 levels). Plus now you're a cyborg. Ish.

EDIT: This game sounds wonderful, by the way.

FelixG
2010-10-24, 04:32 AM
What you want to do, is re roll up a bard, the gods of rock have blessed this bard with a really powerful song (does whatever you think would be fun) that sings the tale of how a little squishy artificer blew up an elder evil from the inside out.

Alternatively i like the coming back as a psudonatural half iron (or flesh) golem warforged

Starshade
2010-10-24, 05:14 AM
Id think turning into an lycantrope with an yuan ti alternate shape. :smallsmile:

Dr Bwaa
2010-10-24, 01:11 PM
Id think turning into an lycantrope with an yuan ti alternate shape. :smallsmile:

:smalleek: Gross.

true_shinken
2010-10-24, 04:04 PM

No one said anything about 'doing it wrong'. People just said it's silly. Silly is good sometimes.

Tvtyrant
2010-10-24, 04:08 PM
Give him the title of "Godslayer" and give him +4 against Outsiders. Then have him hunted to the ends of the earth!

Amiel
2010-10-25, 12:39 AM
Did your character, perchance, ingest a portion of the divinity contained within Serterous?

If so, your DM could reward you with godhood, with a portfolio to match your time spent with the slaadi and your proclivity for chaos.