PDA

View Full Version : Balance of the Dread Crown and Black Rain homebrewed disciplines

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 10:07 AM
I posted this on the homebrew forum and got very little feedback, so I thought I'd try here, since I saw similar threads around before.

My game is going for a 200 years timeskip (it's actually a new campaign set in the same world), so I'll be adding a few homebrew content to spice things up.
I'm adding the Dread Crown discipline as a 'lost 10th sword' used mostly by the drow (they were 'sealed' for a thousand years or so and only recently escaped, so it makes sense to be restricted) and Black Rain as a 'new 10th sword', a recently created discipline.
So, I was wondering. Are those disciplines balanced? My world has very limited access to spells beyond 6th level (think of them as artifacts - yes, even scrolls; they can't be learned naturally, of course), so that's something to keep in mind.

Also, if anyone would be so kind as to link me additional material relating to this disciplines, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The-Mage-King
2010-10-22, 10:11 AM
As mentioned before, the Bullet Hellbringer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152016&highlight=danmaku) PrC for Warlock/Initiators.

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 10:22 AM
As mentioned before, the Bullet Hellbringer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152016&highlight=danmaku) PrC for Warlock/Initiators.

I thought I mentioned before, but that class is not what I'm looking for. Looks very alien to my setting, and too specific - it's a warlock, it's a martial adept, it's a gunslinger... I could see one character being like that, but a class of warlock martial adepts gunslingers is a tad too much for me.

Greenish
2010-10-22, 11:02 AM
Black Rain will depend on which gun stats you use, but overall it doesn't seem that strong. A few decent boosts, okay strikes, a few cool debuffs, a stance that's essentially Power Shot… In fact, it looks somewhat lackluster in damage department at first glance, but I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet (which I rue).

Haven't had a proper look at the Dread Crown, but it seems thematic, and anything that makes poisons better is cool.

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 04:53 PM
Black Rain will depend on which gun stats you use, but overall it doesn't seem that strong. A few decent boosts, okay strikes, a few cool debuffs, a stance that's essentially Power Shot… In fact, it looks somewhat lackluster in damage department at first glance, but I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet (which I rue).
Using renassence guns from the DMG, which it seems it was designed to work with. I find it pretty OK - lower damage seems fine for a ranged discipline. Only problem is the 'sure death' maneuver - it should probably use the same mechanic as other 'bleeding wound' abilities.

Haven't had a proper look at the Dread Crown, but it seems thematic, and anything that makes poisons better is cool.
Yes, it really does look like a drow martial art, doesn't it?

Greenish
2010-10-22, 05:12 PM
I find it pretty OK - lower damage seems fine for a ranged discipline.I don't quite follow - damage is the only thing it can do, so having low damage is okay?

What was the reloading time on those renaissance guns, a full round?

Only problem is the 'sure death' maneuver - it should probably use the same mechanic as other 'bleeding wound' abilities.Which one are you referring to?

Yes, it really does look like a drow martial art, doesn't it?Vile damage can be pretty nasty, though.

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 05:16 PM
I don't quite follow - damage is the only thing it can do, so having low damage is okay?
I think it's OK because it does damage at range, which is a significant ability.

What was the reloading time on those renaissance guns, a full round?
Something like that, but a level one stance speeds it up considerably.

Which one are you referring to?
It's one of the 8th level maneuvers.

Vile damage can be pretty nasty, though.
Indeed, it can. Sounds fitting for a 'forbidden discipline'.

Greenish
2010-10-22, 05:34 PM
I think it's OK because it does damage at range, which is a significant ability.Meh, in my experience, engaging the enemy outside charge range is a rarity.

Something like that, but a level one stance speeds it up considerably.The first stance that does anything for reloading is 5th level. There's a first level boost that reloads the gun as a swift action, and a third level one that makes reloading swift action for the duration of that encounter (curious that it's a boost that lasts for a whole encounter).

So, can't start volleying until level 9 (or 10 if you don't burn a feat to get the stance ASAP), and then you can't use the Power Shot stance, which really should've been a feat.
It's one of the 8th level maneuvers.Heaven-Shattering Volley? That's only 2d6 damage on the next round.

jiriku
2010-10-22, 05:42 PM
Haven't used Black Rain, but my impression is that it's pretty mild milktoast, heavy on flashy descriptions and flavor but light on real power. You needn't worry about it wrecking your campaign.

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 05:51 PM
So, can't start volleying until level 9 (or 10 if you don't burn a feat to get the stance ASAP), and then you can't use the Power Shot stance, which really should've been a feat.Heaven-Shattering Volley? That's only 2d6 damage on the next round.
Isn't it 2d6 damage every turn after the first one?

Greenish
2010-10-22, 07:05 PM
Isn't it 2d6 damage every turn after the first one?Yes, for the duration. Which is one round.

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 11:08 PM
Yes, for the duration. Which is one round.

Can't I believe I overlooked that, thanks a lot.

Haven't used Black Rain, but my impression is that it's pretty mild milktoast, heavy on flashy descriptions and flavor but light on real power. You needn't worry about it wrecking your campaign.
But do you think it might get to a point people won't bother using it?

Meh, in my experience, engaging the enemy outside charge range is a rarity.
Nah, not in my games. Charging is not always easy as well since the battlefields are hardly ever flat spaces.

The first stance that does anything for reloading is 5th level. There's a first level boost that reloads the gun as a swift action, and a third level one that makes reloading swift action for the duration of that encounter (curious that it's a boost that lasts for a whole encounter).
I believe both Black Rain and Dread Crown have a few maneuvers with this 'disguised stance' mechanic and it kind of bothers me. Dunno what I'll do about it, though.

Merk
2010-10-23, 06:56 AM
Black rain is generally fine, but the DC for maneuvers should probably read "X + highest ability score modifier" instead of, as it currently reads, "X + highest ability score".

true_shinken
2010-10-23, 08:20 AM
Black rain is generally fine, but the DC for maneuvers should probably read "X + highest ability score modifier" instead of, as it currently reads, "X + highest ability score".

That's... some needless nitpicking. But the creator would probably welcome it if you PMed him with it.