PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Itemization (3.5/PF)

subject42
2010-10-22, 12:26 PM
I'm working up a character for another player for this weekend and I need some help with itemization. The basic concept is a surly, bearded, flannel-wearing lumberjack that doesn't need a coat, outruns trains, doesn't need armor, can punch down a tree in three rounds, and heals his wounds by punching the snot out of moose.

Rules are Pathfinder/3.5 with PF winning out in any conflicts. Level is 10th, starting wealth is 62,000gp.

Given the build below, what would you give him for equipment? The only thing I know of for sure right now is a Survival Pouch (MiC) that's full of "Jerky" and Donkeys (for punching).

Burt Hurtleboise CN Human Ranger 3 (Two-handed) / Invulnerable Rager Barbarian 1 / Fist of the Forest 1 / Stoneblessed 3 / Deepwarden 2

Traits: Merchant's Child, Resilient

BAB: Full BAB - 1, so in this case 9
Hit Die: 10 (at first level) + 3d10 + 1d12 + 3d8 + 2d12

Feats:
1) Improved Unarmed Strike
Human Bonus) Great Fortitude
Ranger 2) Power Attack
Ranger 3) Endurance
3) Steadfast Determination (Can't fail a fort save on a natural 1, add CON to will saves)
5) Superior Unarmed Strike
7) Snap Kick
9) Martial Study (Crusader's Strike: for out of combat healing, go punch a moose every five minutes)

Class features:
Favored Enemy: Plant (+1)
Favored Terrain: Forest (+1)
Track
Wild Empathy
Feral Trance (Kind of like rage, but you wreck your shoes and get a bite attack)
Awesome Unarmed Strike (I think it comes out to 2d6)
50 foot move speed while unarmored
CON instead of DEX for AC
CON added to AC while unarmored (like a monk, but tougher)
RAAAAAAGE
Constant Endure elements effect in regards to cold weather
DR: Barbarian level / 2
Trap Sense +1

Base Saves:
Fort: +13
Ref: +6
Will: +5 (but don't forget to add your CON mod)

Required Skills (Handled By Ranger 3):
Appraise: 2 ranks
Craft (Stoneworking): 3 ranks
Climb: 3 ranks
Handle Animal: 3 ranks
Heal: 3 ranks
Acrobatics: 3 ranks
Knowledge (Dungeoneering): 3 ranks
Survival: 3 ranks

cdrcjsn
2010-10-22, 12:32 PM
A bunch of "magic healing sticks" (wands of lesser vigor or cure light wounds) for out of combat healing. You're going into melee a lot. You're gonna get hit a lot.

You need something to deal with flying opponents. Maybe a magic throwing axe with the ability to return? Because if you can punch trees down, the only good use of an axe is for throwing away?

There's also some monk rings that I forget the name of that allows you to consider your unarmed attacks as different weapon materials or give them magical enhancements.

subject42
2010-10-22, 12:50 PM
Are there any heavy two-handed throwing axes in D&D, or would I need to get the throwing and returning property?

subject42
2010-10-22, 02:31 PM
Other than the fact that flying enemies are still a hypothetical problem, how does this look? There's a caster in the party, so I'm hoping that flying enemies can be handled, or at least brought to ground level.

Gloves of Mighty Wallop (Requires a Level of Fist of the Forest to Use)
Amulet of Mighty Fists +1
War Wizard Cloak
Belt of Physical Might (STR, CON) +2
Talisman of Undying Fortitude
Handy Haversack
Ring of Protection +2
Ring of Force Shield
Survival Bonus Competence Item +4
Masterwork Greataxe (Mostly for style points)

Coidzor
2010-10-22, 03:40 PM
Poison Healer (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Poison_Healer) as an alternative/supplemental form of healing. But might be a bit too Fistbeard Beardfist, I guess.

subject42
2010-10-22, 03:41 PM
Poison Healer (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Poison_Healer) as an alternative/supplemental form of healing. But might be a bit too Fistbeard Beardfist, I guess.

I thought about poison healer, but punching moose just seemed funnier at the time.

Keld Denar
2010-10-22, 03:47 PM
I'd get some forms of short range teleport. Bolt Shirt and Anklets of Translocation at the bare minimum. +Str/Con and +Resistance are also key. Then consider something like a Scout's Headband for the 1/day True Seeing which can really save your bacon (and is cheap at 3400g). You can seldom go wrong with miss chance if you can afford it, a Lesser Cloak of Displacement is golden (otherwise Shape Soulmeld (Displacer Mantle) now with Open Lesser Chakra (Shoulder) at 12).