PDA

View Full Version : GitP PrC Contest XXII: Voting Thread!

ErrantX
2010-10-22, 01:14 PM
Okay, some good entries this time through, I've saved a few of them to my own hoard to fawn over as I'm sure others have as well. But, alas, one must come out on top, voting must commence and vote we must.

Our qualifying entries:

Mental Reaper by MoleMage
Myr'Shaejae by Golden-esque
Faustian Knight by BladeofOblivion
Cabalist of the Heinous Realms by unasorta
Nightbeast by Magicyop
Slender-Touched by Hyooz
Wielder of Fallen Souls by Mephibosheth
Sculptor of the Damned by Cidolfas
Dread Dogmatist by Derjuin
Nar Incarnate by Demons_eye
Monstrumologist by The Vorpal Tribble
Tomebinder Librarian by M-Bark

Voting ends at midnight on the 31st!

Vote once, and discuss in this thread if you'd like. I intend to get a mod to make this a voting poll.

-X

The Tygre
2010-10-22, 02:10 PM
... This isn't even fair. This is cruel. This is a new low in torture. Forcing me to just pick one of these prestige classes. That's just sick, man. That's just sick. Ultimately, it came down VT's Monstrumologist, but I don't want anyone, -anyone- to think that their stuff wasn't great. Especially you, Meph and Unasorta. You two went the extra mile on your stuff, and deserve a lot of credit for it. Though I won't lie that Cidolfas and Hyuuz had me there for a sec. I have a weakness for The Slender Man, after all.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-22, 02:13 PM
Though its not the strongest here, I think of all I read through The Slender-Touched fascinated me the most. Has some very unique abilities without needing a high attack or caster levels.

However, this is the last Slenderman creation I vote for, capiche? :smallwink:

A lot of others were very interesting, and all pretty awesome, but aberrations or fey will generally win over fiendish creatures with me 90% of the time.

mrcarter11
2010-10-22, 03:13 PM
Weider of the Fallen Souls takes it for me.

ErrantX
2010-10-22, 03:56 PM
Weider of the Fallen Souls takes it for me.

You need to click the poll above for your vote to count, sir.

-X

unosarta
2010-10-22, 05:00 PM
Augh, that was really hard. I had to go with the Monstrumologist in the end, but holy crap, I want to play a party of just these classes. :smallbiggrin:

Also; this is the fourth time today that someone has misspelled my username as Unasorta. :smallsigh:
It happened in the poll as well as in the class listing, as well as in a campaign I am in.

Are they really that similar?

MoleMage
2010-10-22, 05:12 PM
I want to change my vote to Nightbeast.

How do I change my vote?

Demons_eye
2010-10-22, 05:38 PM
Even though its more to learn then I would like, the Monstrumologist wins for me. I love the fluff and the mechanics are cool.

Merk
2010-10-22, 10:02 PM
Lots of great work. My vote goes to the Monstrumologist.

Temotei
2010-10-22, 10:31 PM
I want to change my vote to Nightbeast.

How do I change my vote?

I don't think you can change it. Once you've voted, you can't take it back.

I might be wrong, though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-23, 12:16 AM
How do I change my vote?
Can't withdraw a vote, but perhaps Glyphstone can change it. He posted it, but not sure can do anything with it afterwards besides delete it an start again.

Hyooz
2010-10-23, 02:40 AM
However, this is the last Slenderman creation I vote for, capiche? :smallwink:

I'm good with that. This was special for Halloween, and I think Slendy's made as much an appearance in DnD as he really needs to.

As far as my vote... we'll see. Monstrumologist certainly might take it, but I need to do some more dwelling on these classes.

Morph Bark
2010-10-23, 04:30 AM
Woot, I have a vote! This was all I could (reasonably) hope for this first time entering into this contest, but I'm still very glad. :smallredface:

My own vote went to Unosorta's Cabalist of the Heinous Realms, because making deals with devils in a way that is much more beneficial to you is a good idea - and I could still do it while True Neutral! Also, the artist and the artwork chosen fit well and are amazing. Now I have to go watch his work.

zagan
2010-10-23, 07:49 AM
While I didn't participate in this one because the theme doesn't agree with me and because I need time to work on my own thing. I must admit that they're was some very impressive work in this contest.

Three prc in particular capture my interest the Wielder of fallen souls, the Monstrumologist and the Tomebinder Librarian. But for the last two I fear that they may be overpowered or too easy to abuse. In addition I simply love incarnum and the Wielder flavor is great.

My vote go to the Wielder of Fallen Souls by Mephibosheth.

unosarta
2010-10-23, 08:12 AM
My own vote went to Unosorta's Cabalist of the Heinous Realms, because making deals with devils in a way that is much more beneficial to you is a good idea - and I could still do it while True Neutral! Also, the artist and the artwork chosen fit well and are amazing. Now I have to go watch his work.

DeviantArt is a godsend. I literally just searched "Deals with the Devil" and/or "Demon Pact", and it was the first result. :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-23, 08:15 AM
Three prc in particular capture my interest the Wielder of fallen souls, the Monstrumologist and the Tomebinder Librarian. But for the last two I fear that they may be overpowered or too easy to abuse.
Ever open to critiques. Half the text in that thing is me trying to shut down every loop hole. That's why it is so convoluted.

What'd you find?

zagan
2010-10-23, 10:32 AM
Ever open to critiques. Half the text in that thing is me trying to shut down every loop hole. That's why it is so convoluted.

What'd you find?

Nothing in particular, it's just the fact of aquiring spell-like ability that have me worried, you limit the level so that's good but you can have as many as you want and you may end up with numerous spell-like ability for all situation a little like a wizard who cast spontaneously from his entiere spellbook (max 3/day each if you take the effort of finding three specimen). Wait... "go to reread the description"

Ah, yes finally I may have found a loophole, you have a max of 3/day for each identital spell-like ability from the same creature. But if you find another creature with the same spell-like ability you can gain 3 more uses.

Still it's awesome work and I really hesitate but I love incarnum and the wielder is really good too.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-23, 11:28 AM
Nothing in particular, it's just the fact of aquiring spell-like ability that have me worried, you limit the level so that's good but you can have as many as you want and you may end up with numerous spell-like ability for all situation a little like a wizard who cast spontaneously from his entiere spellbook (max 3/day each if you take the effort of finding three specimen).
Actually, I made over 4 builds as an exercise to combat other example NPCs and hardly any really ended up having many abilities.

If you're good-aligned vivisection on sentient creatures is a no-no. As such you have to wait until 10th level to clone one. If you're evil its a bit easier, but here's the balancing factor. You have to capture it and then keep it helpless for at an hour plus 10 mins per spell level. Creatures with high leveled spell-like abilities aren't easy to capture and keep quiet for that long. Then you just get one ability. That is likely to be a large expenditure of resources, time and effort to gain a single spell-like.

Ah, yes finally I may have found a loophole, you have a max of 3/day for each identital spell-like ability from the same creature. But if you find another creature with the same spell-like ability you can gain 3 more uses.
1st: You can't gain it from the same creature. Specifically says you can't just keep re-vivisecting the same creature. From the wording you could skew it to mean you can get up to 3/day per race. That's not likely to begin with however. The word 'race' was supposed to be an example.

Changed it to "If you vivisect 'another creature' with the same ability".

So now no spell-like can be used more than 3 times no matter how many creatures you cut into, regardless of race, sex, color or creed.

zagan
2010-10-23, 12:25 PM
Actually, I made over 4 builds as an exercise to combat other example NPCs and hardly any really ended up having many abilities.

If you're good-aligned vivisection on sentient creatures is a no-no. As such you have to wait until 10th level to clone one. If you're evil its a bit easier, but here's the balancing factor. You have to capture it and then keep it helpless for at an hour plus 10 mins per spell level. Creatures with high leveled spell-like abilities aren't easy to capture and keep quiet for that long. Then you just get one ability. That is likely to be a large expenditure of resources, time and effort to gain a single spell-like.

True.

1st: You can't gain it from the same creature. Specifically says you can't just keep re-vivisecting the same creature. From the wording you could skew it to mean you can get up to 3/day per race. That's not likely to begin with however. The word 'race' was supposed to be an example.

Okay.

Changed it to "If you vivisect 'another creature' with the same ability".

So now no spell-like can be used more than 3 times no matter how many creatures you cut into, regardless of race, sex, color or creed.

Good.
I'm still a little conserned by the powwible versatility particulary if you begin play at high level but it's the job of the Dm to make sure that the player don't abuse it.

Morph Bark
2010-10-23, 12:42 PM
DeviantArt is a godsend. I literally just searched "Deals with the Devil" and/or "Demon Pact", and it was the first result. :smallbiggrin:

DeviantART certainly is great. It's the first place I go to to look for appropriate pictures. Of course, always crediting the creator of the work. I actually also looked through the artists whose work was used in this contest, but besides Wen-JR (whose work was used... twice? Thrice?) the one you used was the only one with consistently good works that I liked. Coincedence or not, you made a good find. :smallwink:

Three prc in particular capture my interest the Wielder of fallen souls, the Monstrumologist and the Tomebinder Librarian. But for the last two I fear that they may be overpowered or too easy to abuse.

It would all depend on what creatures the campaign setting they're used in have, really.

The Tomebinder Librarian basically has a built-in Polymorph and Control Undead, but more limited, but on the other hand they can gain SLAs and SU abilities. I admit that the Spelltome option of Bookwise is real strong though. Perhaps I should go over that again and put a small extra limit on it. I thought most of it had been worked out well enough though.

Golden-Esque
2010-10-24, 02:14 AM
I liked a lot of the classes, but in the end I thought that the Cabalist of the Heinous Realms was a beautifully written prestige class, filled with flavor and excellent, appropriate mechanics. I tip my hat to you, sir, and grant you my vote in the contest.

peacenlove
2010-10-24, 03:04 AM
Voted for Myr'Shaejae by Golden-esque. The modularity, requirements and general fluff of this class caught my eye.
I am definitely using these guys as NPC's :smallbiggrin:

ErrantX
2010-10-25, 08:51 AM
Bumpity bump. Just keeping us on the front page, let's get some more votes!

-X

Thrawn183
2010-10-25, 08:55 AM
Without links to the source material in the OP, I voted for the one with the coolest name.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-25, 09:03 AM
Without links to the source material in the OP, I voted for the one with the coolest name.
Check first post, and click where you see the great big letters.

ErrantX
2010-10-25, 09:29 AM

...Then why vote?

-X

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-27, 02:59 PM
*looks up voters*

This competition sure brings out the lurkers...

AugustNights
2010-10-27, 03:04 PM
*looks up voters*

This competition sure brings out the lurkers...

Fitting for the theme, one might think.

TheAmishPirate
2010-10-27, 03:55 PM
Voted for Monstrologist. The level of detail is amazing, with respect to both fluff and mechanics.

Vaynor
2010-10-27, 05:50 PM
Can't withdraw a vote, but perhaps Glyphstone can change it. He posted it, but not sure can do anything with it afterwards besides delete it an start again.

I posted it, actually. If ErrantX is ok with someone changing their vote, I believe I can alter the votes manually. MoleMage will still show up as voting for his original selection, but that will have 1 less vote and the other will have an additional vote. In theory, at least, I'm not entirely sure how it works as I've never done it before.

ErrantX
2010-10-27, 05:52 PM
I posted it, actually. If ErrantX is ok with someone changing their vote, I believe I can alter the votes manually. MoleMage will still show up as voting for his original selection, but that will have 1 less vote and the other will have an additional vote. In theory, at least, I'm not entirely sure how it works as I've never done it before.

I'm okay with it.

-X

Vaynor
2010-10-27, 05:56 PM
Ok, I've gone ahead and edited the poll. MoleMage's original selection's vote has been removed, and there is now an uncredited vote for Nightbeast. Not sure if this will allow you to vote again, MoleMage, and if you can, obviously you shouldn't.

MoleMage
2010-10-27, 06:10 PM
I shant. Thanks guys.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-10-28, 03:26 PM
Fitting for the theme, one might think.
There is that

Magicyop
2010-10-31, 09:30 AM
Well, for me, it really had to be the Monstrumologist. Clever, interesting, and allows lots of variety. So that's what I voted for.

However, I'm also thrilled beyond belief that I have a single vote for my Nightbeast, since this is the first time I entered. Thank you, whoever voted for it. I appreciate the sentiment. :smallbiggrin:

ErrantX
2010-10-31, 09:36 AM
Well, for me, it really had to be the Monstrumologist. Clever, interesting, and allows lots of variety. So that's what I voted for.

However, I'm also thrilled beyond belief that I have a single vote for my Nightbeast, since this is the first time I entered. Thank you, whoever voted for it. I appreciate the sentiment. :smallbiggrin:

That would be the MoleMage :smallsmile:

Just as a reminder folks, down to the wire on voting for this contest. Poll ends tonight!

-X

Morph Bark
2010-10-31, 09:45 AM
Considering I doubt there will come in a bunch of more votes at the last second, even moreso enough of them to make someone catch up to the Monstrumologist, I'd like to take this moment to thank Jokasti and TheLonelyScribe for voting for me. Thank you two very much! It means a lot to me and I can wholeheartedly guarantee it gives me enough of a confidence boost to certainly want to continue participating in Errant's PrC Contests. :smallsmile:

MoleMage
2010-10-31, 12:42 PM

Was my first entry too.

I liked the idea of the Nightbeast a lot.

Golden-Esque
2010-10-31, 01:52 PM
I'm still amazed that we got around 30 people to vote for this one 0_0. That's really something else!

unosarta
2010-10-31, 01:54 PM
I'm still amazed that we got around 30 people to vote for this one 0_0. That's really something else!

40 people now. :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2010-10-31, 02:02 PM
Now I wonder how many votes it takes to make the bar fill up its space all the way.

mrcarter11
2010-11-02, 01:02 PM
So is it decided then that the Monstrumologist by Tribble is the winner?

ErrantX
2010-11-02, 02:15 PM
So is it decided then that the Monstrumologist by Tribble is the winner?

Yessir.

Congrats to the Vorpal Tribble! A great class sir, and good work to all of you who completed classes for the contest.

-X