PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Oh noes! Character Issues

Saint GoH
2010-10-22, 02:12 PM
Hey Playground!

Well, after a 6 month hiatus I've decided to rejoin the ranks of gamers. I'll be joining a group this coming Saturday (of whom I believe none are apart of this forum) and playing with them ~3 times a month. And -guess what- I have no idea what I want to play as.

So I come to you. I have a few characters in mind but nothing solid yet. I'm not asking for a build per se, but I AM asking for idea's that I can run with. Be they roleplay idea's or certain favorite PrC combo's, I'm all ears.

Kylarra
2010-10-22, 02:20 PM
Obligatory Beguiler Beguiler post.

realistically, you should posit some more restrictions than that.

Saint GoH
2010-10-22, 02:22 PM
Realistically, I have few restrictions.

No Dragon Mag.

No LA.

Everything else is free game.

Greenish
2010-10-22, 02:24 PM
Roleplaying ideas (at least as they occur to me) tend to be more setting/style of play specific, and you say nothing of those.

So, play an Evil Incarnate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTuhuon1j6U).

Rogue 7
2010-10-22, 02:25 PM
What's the game concept? A political intrigue campaign would not be a good place for a barbarian, for example.

Saint GoH
2010-10-22, 02:27 PM
Setting? No clue.

I am literally walking into this blind. So. I figure make a character and cram him in whatever way he fits. If he is a juggernaut barbarian in a political intrigue campaign... I pity the fools we lose a debate to.

Mostly I'm looking for a medium to High Power-Level with a roleplaying quirk.

Greenish
2010-10-22, 02:33 PM
Warlock, good for most anything, deal with the demons, the works.

Binder, options coming through one's ears, has to keep his powers secret (by default fluff, at least). Also, vestige influences.

Bard, for pure unlimited power! Also, you can talk yourself around everyone, casting spells comes as naturally as breathing, fight pretty well, know everything, sneak like a thief…

mootoall
2010-10-22, 02:58 PM
Is homebrew okay? I recommend Lightning Warrior. It's fairly balanced as, I dunno, I'd say a tier 3 class.

Tvtyrant
2010-10-22, 03:09 PM
Is homebrew okay? I recommend Lightning Warrior. It's fairly balanced as, I dunno, I'd say a tier 3 class.

Lightning Warrior for everyone!

Because we all know familiars are the most powerful force on the planet :smallcool:

Eloel
2010-10-22, 03:21 PM

It's certainly flavorful enough...

WinWin
2010-10-22, 03:27 PM
Apostle of Peace. As a Theurge it could be decent. The tough part would be figuring out an optimised entry.

Alternatively, an Ur Priest/Tenebrous Apostate might be interesting. It was a character I wanted to play but never got the opportunity to.

Frosty
2010-10-22, 03:29 PM
Obligatory Beguiler Beguiler post.

realistically, you should posit some more restrictions than that.

No no no. It ought to be a Beguiler Warmage who PrCs into Elemental Savant (Electricity) :smallwink:

ScionoftheVoid
2010-10-22, 03:31 PM

Really? I'd have thought losing the familiar would drop it a tier or two. I would have it as Tier 4 at the highest.

Psyren
2010-10-22, 03:47 PM
Binder! You have "quirky" as a class feature, they don't use any secondary magic systems (like Incarnum or Psionics), and no matter WHAT style of campaign you are walking into they can both pull their own weight and create a wealth of roleplaying opportunities.

Combat-heavy? Diplomacy-focused? Solve a mystery? Comedy? Horror? Action? Low point-buy? High point-buy? High-magic? Low-magic? Binder can do it all!

Keld Denar
2010-10-22, 03:50 PM
Dragonfire Adept! Its fun, versatile, awesome, balanced, and nearly universally useful. Also, easy to build.

What level are you starting at? Some ideas are great, but are really rough at level 1, like a Bard or a Tash build.

Kansaschaser
2010-10-22, 04:08 PM
Do a Wizard / Beguilar and prestige into the Ultimate Magus. Very fun with lots of Persistant spells!

Eloel
2010-10-22, 04:08 PM
I've always wanted to play a Rogue TWFing Hand Crossbows. With a follower/cohort/3rd hand reloading them. So, go for the "gunslinger" concept with hand xbows flavored as pistols?

Malbordeus
2010-10-22, 04:10 PM
DNDN *do dooo de do do*

Tyndmyr
2010-10-22, 04:17 PM

I dunno, man. It lacks a familiar.

DFA is an excellent choice. It's filled with awesomeness.

grarrrg
2010-10-22, 04:19 PM
blah blah, suggest a character, blah blah

May I humbly recommend MOAR BEAR!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140757&highlight=bearington)

It would ideally be ENUFF BEAR!!!, but we all know there is no such thing as 'enuff bear!!!'

Amphetryon
2010-10-22, 04:21 PM
Jorath (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8011614&postcount=116). :smallbiggrin:

subject42
2010-10-22, 04:27 PM
Play as this guy that I just cooked up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172947).

Once you've read it over, consider for a moment that unarmed strikes don't have to be your fists.

Saint GoH
2010-10-22, 04:30 PM
Beguiler eh? Sounds interesting... and certainly quirky. Ultimate Magus is found on the web right?

EDIT: too many classes that start with B >.<

Eloel
2010-10-22, 04:35 PM
Beguiler eh? Sounds interesting... and certainly quirky. Ultimate Magus is found on the web right?

EDIT: too many classes that start with B >.<

Most people who are suggesting Beguiler are suggesting it in race form.
Though really, they make great Electric Savants.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-22, 04:40 PM
Wizard that doesn't specialize because you have so many spell options.

edit: or cleric or druid as well.

KingMerv00
2010-10-22, 04:51 PM
I'm am the DM in a campaign and one of my players is a 7th level dread necromancer. I kinda like it. Damage reduction, nice touch attacks, and will soon have an platoon of undead mooks following him around.

The rest of my group:

Barb 7
Rgr 4/Rog 3
Swashbuckler 3/Rog 4
Illusionist 6/Master Illusionist 1
Cleric of Pelor 7

(Gotta have a cleric)

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 05:01 PM
I'd say Binder or Warlock. Hard to go wrong with those.

Frosty
2010-10-22, 05:01 PM
Most people who are suggesting Beguiler are suggesting it in race form.
Though really, they make great Electric Savants.
Can you take Illteracy as a flaw or trait to get more nice bonii? I mean, you're only going to know like ONE word...

Kylarra
2010-10-22, 05:03 PM
Can you take Illteracy as a flaw or trait to get more nice bonii? I mean, you're only going to know like ONE word...Technically you only speak one word of common, it just comprises a whole secret language that no human has bothered to learn.

Gavinfoxx
2010-10-22, 05:11 PM
Beguiler, I chooosee youuu!

"Beguiler! Beguiler Beguiler?! Beguiler..."

-----------

Barb 7
Rgr 4/Rog 3
Swashbuckler 3/Rog 4
Illusionist 6/Master Illusionist 1
Cleric of Pelor 7

Lessee two Tier 1's, and three tier ~4's...and Dread Necro is Tier 3, but having a 'horde' of undead suggests low levels of optimization. The Swash/rogue is taking Daring Outlaw, right? There is a ranger/rogue feat like that somewhere, right? I forget what it is... How are you balancing the characters, DM? That's a pretty huge disparity in potential power level... is the optimization level roughly equivalent?

Frosty
2010-10-22, 05:13 PM
"Begua Begua!" "Be-GUILE-ler!"