PDA

View Full Version : Best race for a scout(3.5)?

Squnk
2010-10-22, 02:20 PM
I'm about to start a new campaign and wanted to try a scout character. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good race to use for a scout character? Thanks

DrWeird
2010-10-22, 02:25 PM
First of all, elf is not the way to go.

Depending on which setting you're playing in, Shifters from Eberron are an excellent choice. Barring that, I would suggest a mongrelfolk or skulk - something already excellent at moving and sneaking and spotting, because you need as much movement you can get. You want something that will boost at least your Constitution and at least 40 base land speed, preferably also with a bonus to Dexterity; visions are nice but not required, and you'll want something that will easily let you get moving, and quick.

My original suggestions of Skulk or Mongrelfolk still stands, but Human also works; you can quickly get into two-weapon fighting chain, and that much quicker utilize it with a Belt of Battle (Magic Item Compendium) to dish out some excellent damage.

Whatever you do, don't take a hit to Constitution.

Greenish
2010-10-22, 02:28 PM
If you can buyout the LA, Catfolk sport good stat mods and 40' speed.

Small races without movement penalty are also nice. Whisper Gnomes, goblins (air goblin is +4 dex for 0 LA, jungle goblin comes with climb speed) and of course kobolds.

GodGoblin
2010-10-22, 02:37 PM
I would also recommend Cat folk mainly because they qualify or the Catfolk pounce feat. Its great for melee scouts

Psyren
2010-10-22, 02:37 PM
Xeph! Dex bonus, speedy, and you can grab psionic feats on the sly :smallwink:

An interesting trick with Scouts and psionics - the Hidden Talent feat qualifies you for Elocater (even without ML), who in 7 levels gives you the ability to 10-foot step to your heart's content.

Zaq
2010-10-22, 02:39 PM
Human. Scouts are very, very feat-starved. The extra skill point doesn't hurt either, since scouts are meant to be very skill-heavy but don't have too many in-class uses for INT.

Gavinfoxx
2010-10-22, 02:44 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.0

Read that for your scout guide!

And ASK YOUR DM ABOUT GETTING SCOUT OR RANGER AS A FAVORED CLASS!! If you do not have that you are limited to a grand total of SEVEN possible races!

Also, all the above assumes you want to be a Swift Hunter, because, of course, why wouldn't you?

true_shinken
2010-10-22, 05:13 PM
+1 to xeph. Solid.

Flickerdart
2010-10-22, 05:17 PM
Do you mean the character class or the role?

For the role, I think Coure Eladrin (BoED) have a listed LA. With an alternate form that makes you incorporeal and completely silent, you won't find a better way to scout ahead.

Psyren
2010-10-22, 05:26 PM
And ASK YOUR DM ABOUT GETTING SCOUT OR RANGER AS A FAVORED CLASS!! If you do not have that you are limited to a grand total of SEVEN possible races!

A better idea is just to ask your DM not to enforce the silly XP penalty system :smalltongue:

Gavinfoxx
2010-10-22, 05:47 PM
A better idea is just to ask your DM not to enforce the silly XP penalty system :smalltongue:

Well...thats true, I guess!

BenInHB
2010-10-22, 05:58 PM
Tibits as a race for Scouts are pretty insane but they are from Dragon Magazine so not always available.

Xeph is solid too. Naturally Psionic, Dex boost, Darkvision, Burst of Speed

Catfolk pounce is not as good as it first looks since they have to be flat footed for it to work and setting up both a flat footed and a charge is not easy for a pure scout especially multiple times in one combat.

AslanCross
2010-10-23, 08:20 AM
I'd think shifter (especially Longstride shifter) is great for this, as is Catfolk (barring the LA).

Amphetryon
2010-10-23, 09:54 AM
Raptoran Scouts are pretty good, able to nab Flyby Attack early on. Swiftwing Shifters can too, but suffer mental ability score penalties that Raptorans don't.

dgnslyr
2010-10-23, 12:00 PM
Scouts, like Rogues, will want as many attacks as possible. A dip into Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian (CChamp) for the pounce, with race as Kobold variant with natural attacks? Take IUS and Multiattack feats. Now, you get three natural attacks + normal iteratives, I think. I still don't get how Unarmed Strikes and natural weapons work together...

Flickerdart
2010-10-23, 01:08 PM
Scouts, like Rogues, will want as many attacks as possible. A dip into Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian (CChamp) for the pounce, with race as Kobold variant with natural attacks? Take IUS and Multiattack feats. Now, you get three natural attacks + normal iteratives, I think. I still don't get how Unarmed Strikes and natural weapons work together...
Yeah, you'd get an attack routine of:
IUS 15/10/5, claws 13/13, bite 13 (at 20th, counting only BAB). If you were using a sword, you wouldn't be able to use one of the claws.
If you also took the Whirling Frenzy variant on the Rage, you'd get another attack. If you took the Snap Kick feat, that's yet another. Shape Soulmeld (Astral Vambrace) or (Girallon Claws) and whatever Open Chakra feat gets you the right chakra, and you have two more attacks.

Greenish
2010-10-23, 01:23 PM
Scouts, like Rogues, will want as many attacks as possible. A dip into Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian (CChamp) for the pounce, with race as Kobold variant with natural attacks? Take IUS and Multiattack feats. Now, you get three natural attacks + normal iteratives, I think. I still don't get how Unarmed Strikes and natural weapons work together...As an alternative for IUS, EWP: Gnomish Quickblade should work, since they leave your hands free when not attacking.

[Edit]: You can't open totem chakra with a feat, and that's the only one where girallon arms gives claws. Bound to arms gives you a rend though.

Sir Swindle89
2010-10-23, 03:24 PM
I like varag from MM4, but thats because screwing around with a 70ft base movement (80 with scout) entertains me. They also get Run and Spring Attack as bonus feats.

They are do have racial HD and level adjustment to deal with though.