PDA

View Full Version : Warcries with a Real Kick! (3.5, Feats, PEACH)

ScionoftheVoid
2010-10-22, 02:35 PM
Deafening Warcry [General]
Your battlecries can deafen opponents with their incredible volume.
Prerequisites: Bardic Music 1/day and Perfom: Oratory 6 ranks or Rage 1/day and Con 13
Benefits: During the round you begin a Bardic Music performance for Inspire Courage or enter a Rage you may scream to create a deafening area of intense sound as a free action. This area is a cone extending 5 feet + 5 feet per daily use of Bardic Music + 10 feet per daily use of Rage. Enemies within the cone must make a Fortitude save of DC 10+1/2 your ranks in Perform: Oratory+1/2 your ranks in Intimidate or be deafened for 2d4 rounds. An enemy that succeeds on this save is still deafened for one round. You are always considered to be in the area of your Deafening Warcry (though unless you are your own enemy it will not affect you).
Special: This feat is a Fighter bonus feat. If you have the Improved Warcry feat the save DC to resist deafness increases by 1 for each 2 HD you have.

Howl to the Heavens [General]
You lift your head and bellow loud enough for the gods to hear.
Prerequisites: Deafening Warcry and either Bardic Music 1/day and Perfom: Oratory 6 ranks or Rage 1/day and Con 13
Benefits: Your Deafening Warcry can be used with an area of a sphere, centred on you. This sphere has a radius of 5 feet+5 feet per daily use of Bardic Music+10 feet per daily use of Rage.
Special: This feat is a Fighter bonus feat. If you have the Improved Warcry feat the radius of the sphere your Warcry covers is doubled.

Wolf Howl [General]
You howl in a manner similar to a wolf before leaping into the fray as one.
Prerequisites: Deafening Warcry and either Bardic Music 1/day and Perform: Oratory 6 ranks or Rage 1/day and Con 13
Benefits: When you activate your Deafening Warcry for the duration of your Bardic Music performance or Rage any allies in the area of the Warcry (including you) gain a +4 bonus to attack rolls from flanking and +4 from the Aid Another action, instead of +2.
Special: This feat is a Fighter bonus feat. If you have the Improved Warcry feat all allies affected by this feat gain Improved Trip in addition to the normal effects of the feat, for the duration of the Bardic Music performance or Rage.

Tiger Roar [General]
Your opponents quake in fear at your roar before you leap upon them and tear them to pieces
Prerequisites: Deafening Warcry and either Bardic Music 4/day and Perform: Oratory 12 ranks or Rage 2/day, Con 13 and Intimidate 12 ranks
Benefits: When you activate your Deafening Warcry enemies in the area must make a Will save of the same DC as Deafening Warcry minus 4 or Cower for as long as they would be deafened
Special: This feat is a Fighter bonus feat. If you have the Improved Warcry feat all allies in the area of the Warcry (including you) gain Pounce as an Extraordinary ability for the duration of the Bardic Music performance or Rage during which this feat was activated. The Pounce ability allows a Full-Attack at the end of a Charge action instead of a single attack.

Tarrasque Earthsundering Bellow [General]
Enemies scream as you do, but theirs are screams of pain as their eardrums burst and their bodies are wracked by sound
Prerequisites: Deafening Warcry, Con 15 and either Bardic Music 7/day and Perform: Oratory 18 ranks or Rage 3/day and Intimidate 18 ranks
Benefits: When you activate your Deafening Warcry creatures and unattended objects in the area take 1 point of Sonic damage for each rank in Perform: Oratory or Intimidate (whichever is higher) plus your Constitution modifier.
Special: This feat is a Fighter bonus feat. If you have the Improved Warcry feat you add half your HD do the Sonic damage dealt by this feat. In addition, anyone who fails the save against deafness when you activate this feat is permanently blinded as their eyes burst in their sockets, so intense is the sound you create.

Divine Doomcry [Epic]
The unrighteous perish at the sound of your terrible wail.
Prerequisites: Deafening Warcry, Tarrasque Earthsundering Bellow, Con 15 and either Bardic Music 21/day and Perform: Oratory 25 ranks or Rage 6/day and Intimidate 25 ranks
Benefits: Your Deafening Warcry functions as an Extraordinary Blasphemy, Dictum, Holy Word or Word of Chaos (your choice) which has the same area as your Deafening Warcry. Your caster level is equal to your HD for this effect.
Special: This feat is a Fighter bonus feat. If you have the Improved Warcry feat your caster level for this feat's effect is increased by 5.

Improved Warcry [General]
Your warcries are even more inspiring for your allies and inspire even more dread in your foes.
Prerequisites: Deafening Warcry, Con 15 and either Bardic Music 4/day and Perform: Oratory 12 ranks or Rage 2/day and Intimidate 12 ranks
Benefits: Your Deafening Warcry is improved. You gain additional benefits from your Deafening Warcry and feats which enhance it, as described in the Special section of each of these feats.
Special: This feat is a Fighter bonus feat.

Phew, I had the ideas for those knocking around in my head all day. I may add to this later. Help with wording on these feats would be appreciated, particularly concerning the area of Deafening Warcry.

PEACHing is greatly appreciated, I have a niggling feeling that Tiger Roar might be slightly overpowered and that Deafening Warcry by itself is slightly underpowered. Divine Doomcry has such high prerequisites to encourage staying in the same class to get it, though the cost might be too much for the benefit, I fear. It occurs to me now that I don't mind multiclassing to levels that others might deem excessive so I may well change that at some point.

Anyway, have fun Bardbarians!

Changelog: Bolded "either" and "or" in the prerequisites, at least one person missed them.

Made Tarrasque Earthsundering Bellow less insane.

Made Tarrasque Earthsundering Bellow less confusing and slightly less powerful.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-10-23, 02:34 PM
More warcry-related stuff, including a Prestige Class!

Elephant Trumpet [General]
You bellow a spirit lifting battlecery before changing your enemies into so much red paste.
Prerequisites: Rage 2/day, Con 13 and Perform: Oratory 9 ranks.
Benefits: When you activate your Deafening Warcry any allies in its area (including you) gain the benefits of Inspire Courage as used by a Bard of half your Barbarian level for the duration of your Rage. Any actual Bard levels stack with your effective Bard levels for the purposes of this feat.
Special: This feat is a Fighter Bonus Feat. If you have the Improved Warcry feat any allies affected by this feat (including you) gain Trample as an Elephant for the duration of your Rage.

Monkey Screech [General]
You release an ear-splitting screech before running rings around your opponents
Prerequisites: Deafening Warcry and either Bardic Music 1/day and Perform: Oratory 6 ranks or Rage 1/day and Con 13
Benefits: All enemies within the area of your Deafening Warcry must make a Concentration check of twice your HD to cast spells or do any other action requiring intense focus for the duration of your Bardic Music performance or Rage as you screech and whoop unstoppably. This is a [Sonic] ability.
Special: This is a Fighter Bonus Feat. If you have the Improved Warcry feat any allies in the area of your Deafening Warcry (including you) gain a +10 bonus to your base land speed and a Climb speed equal to half their (improved) land speed. This provides a +8 bonus to Climb checks and the ability to take 10 on Climb checks even if threatened or distracted, as normal.

Whale Song [General]
You bellow impossibly loud but oddly empathically before taking the fight to the waters below
Benefits: The area of your Deafening Warcry is doubled. You may communicate simple concepts (for example, fight, eat, flee) to any creature with a language within the area of your Deafening Warcry. Additionally, you may speak with whales, as the Speak with Animals spell, as an Extraordinary ability. Both of these effects are for the duration of your Bardic Music performance or Rage. Both effects are [Sonic] abilities.
Special: This is a Fighter Bonus Feat. If you have the Improved Warcry feat any allies (inlcuding you) in the area of your Deafening Warcry may Breathe Water, as the spell, as an Extraordinary abililty. In additon, they gain a Swim speed equal to half their base land speed. This grants +8 to Swim checks and the ability to take 10 on Swim checks even when threatened or distracted, as normal. Both of these benefits last as long as your Bardic Music performance or Rage.

Totem Howlmaster
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+0|Bonus Feat, Intense Warcry

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+0|Rage +1/day, +1 Con

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+1|Improved Warcry, Echoing Warcry

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+1|Rage +1/day, +1 Con

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+1|Bonus Feat, Totem Spirit Dance[/table]

Hit Die: d10

Requirements
Skills: Intimidate 8 ranks, Handle Animal 8 ranks, Listen 4 ranks
Abilities: Rage 2/day
Feats: Deafening Warcry, Howl to the Heavens

Class Skills (4+Int modifier per level): Climb (Str), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis) and Swim (Str).

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A Totem Howlmaster gains no weapon or armour proficiencies.

Bonus Feat: At first level and fifth level a Totem Howlmaster gains one of the following feats as a bonus feat, they must still fulfill the prerequisites: Wolf Howl, Monkey Screech, Whale Song, Tiger Roar, Elephant Trumpet.

Intense Warcry (Ex): At first level a Totem Howlmaster's warcry becomes more penetrating, adding one per class level to the DC for any save caused by Deafening Warcry or a feat with Deafening Warcry as a prerequisite.

Rage: At second level, and again at fourth level, a Totem Howlmaster gains an additional use of Rage per day.

Ability Score Increase: At second level, and again at fourth level, a Totem Howlmaster's Constitution score improves by one.

Improved Warcry: At third level a Totem Howlmaster gains Improved Warcry as a Bonus Feat, though they do not need to meet the prerequisites. If they already have Improved Warcry they may choose a different Bonus Feat, though they do need to meet the prerequisites for a feat other than Improved Warcry gained this way.

Echoing Warcry (Ex): At third level a Totem Howlmaster's warcry echoes farther and longer, they may double either the duration of the area of their Deafening Warcry and any feats which have Deafening Warcry as a prerequisite.

Totem Spirit Dance (Su): At fifth level a Totem Howlmaster may take the shape of an animal totem. During the round in which a Totem Howlmaster activates their Deafening Warcry feat they may take the physical form of one of the following animals, as indicated by the table:

{table=head]Animal|Additional Feat Activated

Wolf|Wolf Howl

Dire Wolf|Wolf Howl

Monkey|Monkey Screech

Baboon|Monkey Screech

Ape|Monkey Screech

Dire Ape|Monkey Screech

Baleen Whale|Whale Song

Cachalot Whale|Whale Song

Orca|Whale Song

Tiger|Tiger Roar

Dire Tiger|Tiger Roar

Elephant|Elephant Trumpet[/table]

This works as the Alternate Form ability, except that items which cannot be held or worn by the new form are melded harmlessly into its body returning when the creature changes back to its original form. Any items that cannot be held or worn by the original form drop in its square after changing back as normal.

Text of Alternate Form for reference:
Alternate Form

A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume one or more specific alternate forms. A true seeing spell or ability reveals the creature’s natural form. A creature using alternate form reverts to its natural form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape. A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template. Assuming an alternate form results in the following changes to the creature:

* The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form. If the new form has the aquatic subtype, the creature gains that subtype as well.
* The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
* The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
* The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.
* The creature retains the spell-like abilities and supernatural attacks of its old form (except for breath weapons and gaze attacks). It does not gain the spell-like abilities or attacks of its new form.
* The creature gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form. Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.
* The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores.
* Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.
* The creature retains any spellcasting ability it had in its original form, although it must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and it must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components.
* The creature is effectively camouflaged as a creature of its new form, and it gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks if it uses this ability to create a disguise.
* Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space. If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size. (Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and vice versa.) Gear returns to normal size if dropped.

Changelog: Bolded "either" and "or" in the prerequisites, at least one person missed them.

The Tygre
2010-10-23, 04:27 PM
Very impressive! The prestige class is a nice touch. But does Bardic Music absolutely have to be a requirement? What if you just want to be a barbarian or a fighter with a war cry and you don't want to have to level dip?

Siosilvar
2010-10-23, 04:44 PM
Very impressive! The prestige class is a nice touch. But does Bardic Music absolutely have to be a requirement? What if you just want to be a barbarian or a fighter with a war cry and you don't want to have to level dip?

Bardic Music 1/day and Perform: Oratory 6 ranks
or
Rage 1/day and Con 13

ScionoftheVoid
2010-10-23, 06:26 PM

See the post below you, I'll go and bold "or" in each feat. You don't need Bard levels to use the feats, but you can use bard levels to qualify and they scale a bit faster on that side. Of course using both lets you get a bigger boost once for the first level Rage and you could then take the feat that gives you more uses per day to make them rather powerful. The hope is that you won't have enough feat slots to get these feats and the feat to give you more Rages (I can't remember what it's called, dammit!).

And thanks! There are probably some balance issues 'cause I write stuff by leaving it to stew in my brain for a few hours, refining it a bit as I get it down and then altering it later, but I hope to get those out once I've gotten some more detailed feedback.

Edit: I may add fluff for the Totem Howlmaster tommorow. If I can be bothered to dig up the rules in the DMG2 there may even be an Organisation involved! But don't get your hopes up too high, I'm lazy and new to this.

Realms of Chaos
2010-10-24, 11:30 AM
Tarrasque Earthsundering Blow strikes me as a bit odd for two reasons:
1. Just about every single other feat plays nice with your allies but this one suddenly kills them off as well (not to mention yourself), which is a bit wierd for a character focused on these feats.
2. A well-built barbarian 15/Totem Howlmaster 5 with 51 Con (18 + 4 mongrelfolk + 6 improved rage + 2 howlmaster + 5 levels + 5 inherent + 6 enhancement + effectively +5 from improved warcry) and maximum ranks in intimidate can deal 368 sonic damage (no saving throw or spell resistance) to all creatures and objects within a 300 foot-radius sphere (if you take extra rage a couple times to improve your rage, take the whale song, and use the howlmaster to increase range again)... as a free action.
Though the death throws would kill you, this guy could kill a literal army of balors as a free action... by screaming at them. :smalleek:

ScionoftheVoid
2010-10-24, 11:52 AM
Tarrasque Earthsundering Blow strikes me as a bit odd for two reasons:
1. Just about every single other feat plays nice with your allies but this one suddenly kills them off as well (not to mention yourself), which is a bit wierd for a character focused on these feats.

Ah, I didn't intend for it to harm themselves when they used it. I may change it affecting allies.

2. A well-built barbarian 15/Totem Howlmaster 5 with 51 Con (18 + 4 mongrelfolk + 6 improved rage + 2 howlmaster + 5 levels + 5 inherent + 6 enhancement + effectively +5 from improved warcry) and maximum ranks in intimidate can deal 368 sonic damage (no saving throw or spell resistance) to all creatures and objects within a 300 foot-radius sphere (if you take extra rage a couple times to improve your rage, take the whale song, and use the howlmaster to increase range again)... as a free action.
Though the death throws would kill you, this guy could kill a literal army of balors as a free action... by screaming at them. :smalleek:

Whilst the image is awesome, I was unsure of how to scale that one and this is why. I'd forgotten Rage increased Con, didn't take Mongrelfolk into account and was generally underestimating how easy the stat is to increase. I'll add a save for half and reduce the base damage. This is the reason I wanted feedback.

Editing, editing.

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-24, 02:39 PM
this guy could kill a literal army of balors as a free action... by screaming at them. :smalleek:

Nathan Explosion? :smalleek:

Sorry... nothing productive to add to them, although I do like them - well done sir!

ScionoftheVoid
2010-10-24, 03:01 PM
Nathan Explosion? :smalleek:

Sorry... nothing productive to add to them, although I do like them - well done sir!

Thank you.

Also, Earthsundering Bellow can be made a sphere by Howl to the Heavens. It deals damage to unattended objects. Floors, walls and ceilings count as unattended. A Bard with the feat can hold a concert which literally brings the house down.

On the other hand a Barbarian is needed for the death of a hundreds of Balors (who then explode, remember), and they can do enough damage with it to leave a crater. I wonder how wide you can get the radius on Howl to the Heavens?:smallamused: We may be able to make a functional version of the Locate City Bomb that does actually act like a bomb, instead of a fast-track to a Wightocalypse.

Realms of Chaos
2010-10-24, 03:07 PM
This may just be my craziness talking by why not reduce the damage down to your ranks in perform (oratory)/intimidate + your Con modifier, +1/2 HD if you have improved warcry?

40 damage isn't alot but it's pretty nice for a free action and you could even take away the saving throw again. :smallsmile:

The Tygre
2010-10-24, 03:27 PM
Right, sorry. Didn't see that the first time through. I was kind of tired when I skimmed over. :smallredface:

ScionoftheVoid
2010-10-25, 07:48 AM
This may just be my craziness talking by why not reduce the damage down to your ranks in perform (oratory)/intimidate + your Con modifier, +1/2 HD if you have improved warcry?

40 damage isn't alot but it's pretty nice for a free action and you could even take away the saving throw again. :smallsmile:

Sure, gets rid of the akward multiplication so it may as well be that. The Improved Warcry bonus damage is a bit small then but that's not really the reason to take it and Earthsundering Bellow anyway.

Thanks for the help.