PDA

View Full Version : Child Forums?

Maxios
2010-10-22, 03:34 PM
I did an advanced search a couple days ago, and I noticed a button you click that also searches in the child forums.
What are these child forums? An unimplemented feature?

The Rose Dragon
2010-10-22, 03:36 PM
To give an example, Structured Games is a child forum of Silly Message Board Games.

Maxios
2010-10-22, 03:39 PM
That makes sense. But, in advanced search, you can choose to search Structured Games and similar things in a diffrent way, not by clicking child forums.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-10-22, 04:14 PM
If this forum had a more complex structure, it would be useful because it would allow you to search one specific forum and all of its children without having to individually specify each one. It’s just something to save a few clicks.

Green Bean
2010-10-22, 04:31 PM
It's also handy if want to, for instance, search the Finding Players board without also searching the Out of Character and Dice Roll boards.

Zeofar
2010-10-22, 05:08 PM
That makes sense. But, in advanced search, you can choose to search Structured Games and similar things in a diffrent way, not by clicking child forums.

Exactly. OR you can search the entire board family, which would be SMBG+SG+FFR. Or you could only search the top one, SMBG. Or either or the child boards.

A diagram, for your benefit:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f353/Zeofar/ChildForums.jpg

Searching A1 and its child forums would get A1 along with B1, B2, B3, C1, and C2 (I think). Searching B1 with its child forums would get B1 along with C1 and C2. The purpose of searching child forums would be to get the additional forums along with the main one. There are other ways to select multiple forums but this is mainly just a time-saving device.

Drolyt
2010-10-31, 04:03 PM
Basically it's only mildly useful on these forums, but the forum software is used in other forums with a more nested structure where the function could be extremely useful.