PDA

View Full Version : Transfering music from my ipod to my computer.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-22, 09:02 PM
As you may now a few weeks ago someone broke into my house and stole many things, including my laptop, thankfully my Ipod was spared and I didn't loose my ~ 400 songs that I have stored there.

The problem lies that I want to transfer all that music from my ipod to my new computer, but I don't know how. A freind told me there is a program to do just that, but he can remember the name of that program.

Does anybody here knows the program I am talking about?

arguskos
2010-10-22, 09:53 PM
iRip (http://thelittleappfactory.com/irip/). To transfer that many songs will require a purchase of it, but it's well worth the money.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-10-22, 10:03 PM
You shouldn't have to do anything. Just log in as yourself and sync.

arguskos
2010-10-22, 10:04 PM
You shouldn't have to do anything. Just log in as yourself and sync.
Syncing doesn't work both ways, IIRC. It syncs the iPod to whatever the computer has, and if that's less, well ok then.

I don't recommend it. I know for a fact that iRip will do what you want, no questions asked, and highly recommend doing so. I wouldn't risk syncing, since if it erases everything, you're shafted.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-10-22, 10:06 PM
It worked for me, but wha tdo I know.

arguskos
2010-10-22, 10:08 PM
It worked for me, but wha tdo I know.
Hmm. I tried it once and it erased my iPod. Your mileage may vary. *shrugs* I know iRip works with no chance of failure, and my personal experience with syncing says it erases stuff. Dusk Eclipse, you've definitely got choices. :smallsmile:

Erloas
2010-10-22, 10:22 PM
I did this once before for a roommate, but I don't remember what exactly I used to do it. If I remember right I didn't use anything to transfer the songs, I just had to find something that would let me read the iPod as a removable drive (like most other MP3 players, cameras, flash drives and all sorts of other things). All I really remember is that it was more of a pain then it should have been and just one more reason I hate Apple and will never even think about buying their products.

A quick search would probably have found everything you needed to know long before anyone responded to this though.

Icewalker
2010-10-23, 12:00 AM
Yeah, you want that program to do it, our a similar one. If you search around you can likely find a freeware program with the same function.

Mauve Shirt
2010-10-23, 12:07 AM
I used Music Rescue, it's free and does the job nicely.

Dispozition
2010-10-23, 12:16 AM
I just unhid the ipod folders and added whichever folder the songs were in into itunes.

Dada
2010-10-23, 03:53 AM
Don't pay anything to achieve this!

As mentioned above, there are probably many programs which can do this for you, and some of them are probably open source and/or free.

iPods only have their annoying 'you must use iTunes'-demands on windows though. Plug them in while running Linux and they work just like a regular portable drive. You don't even have to install Linux. You can get ubuntu here (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download) and either burn a live installation onto a cd or usb key. That will let you boot into linux without touching your normal operating system or touching anything. Depending on your tech level, it might be more difficult than finding a free program though.

Dispozition
2010-10-23, 03:56 AM
Don't pay anything to achieve this!

As mentioned above, there are probably many programs which can do this for you, and some of them are probably open source and/or free.

iPods only have their annoying 'you must use iTunes'-demands on windows though. Plug them in while running Linux and they work just like a regular portable drive. You don't even have to install Linux. You can get ubuntu here (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download) and either burn a live installation onto a cd or usb key. That will let you boot into linux without touching your normal operating system or touching anything. Depending on your tech level, it might be more difficult than finding a free program though.

Mine works fine as a HDD, although I admit you do have to turn the option on in itunes. And I know for a fact you can also sync with wimamp.

SensFan
2010-10-23, 01:24 PM
I used Music Rescue, it's free and does the job nicely.
I'll second Music Rescue. Although since it prompts you to buy the software after every 50 songs it imports, and I was importing almost 5000 songs, I decided to just pay the activation cost.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-10-23, 02:34 PM
Guys, seriously. This man is correct:

I just unhid the ipod folders and added whichever folder the songs were in into itunes.

Go to iTunes, enable "use your iPod as a portable hard drive" or whatever that option is called (you can still do it if it's not synced to your iTunes). Enable "Show hidden files and folders." Open your iPod like you would a flash drive and voila, all there!

The only downside is that they're going to have weird 4 symbol file names like JK5D, but all the metadata is still there so if you for example copy them to your computer and add to iTunes, they'll still show up correctly.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-23, 03:23 PM
I will have to try all of this, next time a friend and I swap ipods.

SensFan
2010-10-23, 03:44 PM
Guys, seriously. This man is correct:

Go to iTunes, enable "use your iPod as a portable hard drive" or whatever that option is called (you can still do it if it's not synced to your iTunes). Enable "Show hidden files and folders." Open your iPod like you would a flash drive and voila, all there!

The only downside is that they're going to have weird 4 symbol file names like JK5D, but all the metadata is still there so if you for example copy them to your computer and add to iTunes, they'll still show up correctly.
That didn't work for me.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-23, 07:49 PM
Tried activating it as a flash drive, but it didn't work, I guess I'll try with music rescue.

Thanks for all the suggestions.