PDA

View Full Version : (Pathfinder race) Suddenly, jesters!

Merk
2010-10-22, 10:56 PM
Puppets of Mirth

http://i54.tinypic.com/2mguws9.jpg

Puppets of mirth are servants created by the King of faeries to entertain the royal family. Blessed with the grace and impishness of the fae, puppets of mirth are talented fools, jesters, harlequins, and tricksters.

Physical Description

Puppets of mirth stand about a head shorter than the average human, and are usually very thin and gaunt. They wear bright and gaudy form-fitting tights or costumes, and make heavy use of cosmetics. Many wear a painted mask.

Society

Puppets of mirth serve in the court of the fae as premier entertainers.

Relations

Puppets of mirth, by their nature, exist to entertain and to trick others. Elves and gnomes can appreciate this, to an extent. Dwarves and half-orcs have a hard time tolerating a puppet of mirth's shenanigans.

Alignment and Religion

Puppets of mirth are overwhelmingly chaotic. They tend to worship gods of comedy, luck, roguishness, and gods revered by the fae.

Adventurers

Puppets of mirth are a zany lot whose mission is to inject comedy into the world. Good puppets of mirth create comedy by entertaining others, while evil puppets of mirth create situations of incredible tragedy and think it's funny.

Puppet of Mirth Racial Traits

Living Construct Subtype: Puppets of mirth are sentient but ultimately artificial beings, and as such have the features and traits of the living construct subtype (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_livingconstructsubtype&alpha=).

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution: Puppets of mirth are lithe and entertaining, but have fragile forms.

Medium: Puppets of mirth are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Normal Speed: Puppets of mirth have a base speed of 30 feet.

Low-Light Vision: Puppets of mirth can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.

Joyful: Puppets of mirth receive a +2 racial saving throw bonus against all spells and effects that alter mood (including fear and despair effects).

Foolish: Puppets of mirth receive a +2 racial bonus on all Bluff, Disguise, and Perform checks.

Jester's Magic: Puppets of mirth add +1 to the DC of any saving throws against enchantment spells that they cast. Puppets of mirth with a Charisma of 11 or higher also gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day - dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation, and hideous laughter*. The caster level for these effects is equal to the puppet of mirth's level. The DC for these spells is equal to 10 + the spell's level + the puppet of mirth's charisma modifier.
* As a 1st-level spell-like ability.

Jester's Prowess (Alternate Racial Feature; replaces Jester's Magic): Puppets of mirth have access to the Falling Anvil (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122824&highlight=Looney+Tunes) discipline regardless of class. In addition, a puppet of mirth may choose one 1st-level strike from the falling anvil discipline and use it once per encounter (as if she picked up a strike with the Martial Study feat, although this does not count against the number of times she may select this feat).

Comedic Treasure Trove: A puppet of mirth is essentially a hollow shell filled with funny objects. When a puppet of mirth dies, it pops like a balloon, and all of its contents spill out onto the ground below it; these objects are various gag items, the sum of which is not worth more than 5d4 gp. The types of objects that fill any specific puppet of mirth depends on its personality and what it finds funny. In order to revive a puppet of mirth, one of its component objects (either one that fell out of the original body, or one that is otherwise purchased or obtained) must be used to summon back its soul and reform the puppet. Some sample objects include: whoopee cushions, playing cards, confetti, rubber ducks, candy, or marbles.

Languages: Puppets of mirth begin play speaking Common and Sylvan. Puppets of mirth with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aklo, Celestial, Draconic, Elven, and Gnome.

New Feats

Last Laugh

When you let loose your treasure trove, you get the last laugh.

Prerequisites: Comedic treasure trove racial trait, character level 5

Benefits: When you die and activate your comedic treasure trove, every living creature within a 60 ft. radius takes 1d6 damage per hit die you possessed, and must make a will save (DC = 10 + 1/2 your hit dice + your charisma modifier) or laugh (as hideous laughter) for another 1 round per two hit dice you possessed.

Just Plain Funny

Your sense of humor translates extremely well.

Prerequisites: Perform (comedy) 1 rank.

Benefits: Any effect similar to (and including) hideous laughter produced by you "translates" perfectly regardless of type, and so creatures of different type do not receive a +4 bonus on their saving throws. You gain a bonus equal to 1/4 your ranks in Perform (comedy) to your caster level on all mind-affecting compulsion spells that you cast.

Unrest
2010-10-23, 05:31 AM
I like it immensely! The inclusion of Falling Anvil is a great and flavorful idea, though personally I would limit it only to those that take levels in a maneouver-using class.

Too bad living constructs auto-stabilize. I imagined a scene in an RP-heavy campaign where a Puppet dies (by slowly 'bleeding' into -10), and when he dies, his party-mates, instead of finding those merry items inside like cards or confetti, discover piles of tragic letters, pictures of his deceased lover, and precious tiny mementos, like rings, or single earrings. <sniff>

Morph Bark
2010-10-23, 07:20 AM
Both funny and fitting and crunch-fluff well combined. Good job. The only thing wrong though is that it's ability bonuses/penalties don't even each other out, so it would require an LA, but it'd be weak as LA+1. Adding another penalty (Wisdom because they're foolish?) or taking away a bonus would make it perfectly balanced.

Kuma Kode
2010-10-23, 07:29 AM
I... really like it.

M-Bark: I'm pretty sure Pathfinder uses a net +2 bonus instead of D&D 3.5's +0. The Dex and Con balance out so only the +2 Charisma remains.

Starbuck_II
2010-10-23, 08:59 AM
Only Hideous Laughter seems strong. It is a decent spell (even with that penalty if not same type).
Wait, does every creature but Warforged get a -4 to save DC? Only Warforged are same type.

Merk
2010-10-23, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback :)

Only Hideous Laughter seems strong. It is a decent spell (even with that penalty if not same type).
Wait, does every creature but Warforged get a -4 to save DC? Only Warforged are same type.

Good point. I'm thinking maybe about putting an HD minimum before being able to use Hideous Laughter (like 2 or 3) and noting that puppets count as fey for the purposes of humor.

Both funny and fitting and crunch-fluff well combined. Good job. The only thing wrong though is that it's ability bonuses/penalties don't even each other out, so it would require an LA, but it'd be weak as LA+1. Adding another penalty (Wisdom because they're foolish?) or taking away a bonus would make it perfectly balanced.

This kind of ability score adjustment is standard in pathfinder. Compare the elf (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/elf).

AugustNights
2010-10-23, 03:23 PM
I like it, and while it's not necessary, you might specify if they can wear armor or not. (I'm assuming they can, as that they have no 'warforged body' like thing going on.)

Also, an ability to use the random objects within their body might be fun...

I could see a Lich Hunting one of these down and hiding its phylactery in one of these fellas, I wonder how all that dark energy would effect one of these guys.

Chrono22
2010-10-24, 04:59 PM
I have to say, this is a very well made player race. It is totally awesome. I would love to play it at some point.

The Antigamer
2010-11-06, 04:06 AM
An interesting counterpoint to the Gray Jester, I like it! One of these guys and a gray jester on the same team would wreak havok.

DracoDei
2010-11-06, 05:26 AM
I agree Hideous Laughter may be too powerful even with the lowered DC. I am also very pleased to note that I have a fan.

The Antigamer
2010-11-06, 05:35 AM
I agree Hideous Laughter may be too powerful even with the lowered DC. I am also very pleased to note that I have a fan.

Aw, it's not all that powerful. Once a day means not much potential for abuse, and as a 1st level spell it's not getting through any kind of SR at the higher levels.
Also, who's not a fan of falling anvil?

DracoDei
2010-11-06, 06:00 AM
Also, who's not a fan of falling anvil?

There was at least one guy in the Age of Warriors thread who couldn't comprehend why ANYONE would EVER want to use it. They started a discussion about if it should even be included in the project at all... as it is it is going to be in an appendix, which is PROBABLY appropriate (he had some legitimate concerns about it ruining the mood for people reading the finished work who AREN'T doing humor campaigns).

The Antigamer
2010-11-06, 06:17 AM
There was at least one guy in the Age of Warriors thread who couldn't comprehend why ANYONE would EVER want to use it. They started a discussion about if it should even be included in the project at all... as it is it is going to be in an appendix, which is PROBABLY appropriate (he had some legitimate concerns about it ruining the mood for people reading the finished work who AREN'T doing humor campaigns).

What a jerk :-/
Humor is a time-honored method of distracting your foes before you sucker punch them.

The Antigamer
2010-11-06, 07:21 PM
I have a question about Comedic Treasure Trove. As written, it seems to me that "In order to revive a puppet of mirth, one of its component objects (either one that fell out of the original body, or one that is otherwise purchased or obtained) must be used to summon back its soul and reform the puppet." means you can die, have a party member use a whoopie cushion, and you'll be revived. It's meant that they use a whoopie cushion and your body comes back to cast revive on, right?

Golden-Esque
2011-01-13, 02:07 AM
As you've requested, I've run this race through the Race Building Guide, and you can find your answer on the thread, located here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10150906#post10150906)

I... really like it.

M-Bark: I'm pretty sure Pathfinder uses a net +2 bonus instead of D&D 3.5's +0. The Dex and Con balance out so only the +2 Charisma remains.

Coincidentally, this is NOT how Pathfinder develops its bonuses. You're on the right track, but it actually has more to do with WHAT stats get the bonuses then what those bonuses add up to. But instead of explaining how it works here, you can check out the formula for yourself in my thread :-P.

Oh noes, DracoDei's head might get even BIGGER should he decide to check out my Race Building Thread! :smallbiggrin: