PDA

View Full Version : 4ed Dark Sun thoughts, comments, etc

BobVosh
2010-10-23, 12:46 AM
So far I have only read the generally excellent information from Keld in regards to 4ed DS, and that was before the book came out. So now after the book, anything unique and cool about it? Fun quirks? As insanely lethal as 2ed (well, that is nearly impossible but still)? Does it keep the same feel?

How did it compare to the fan edit of 3.X DS? Found here (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fathas.org%2Fproducts%2Fds3&rct=j&q=athas%20.org&ei=s3bCTP2vBsOBnQf0i7HmCQ&usg=AFQjCNGW4TUJvZH9rt6STKCw7a152ELYaw&cad=rja).

ghost_warlock
2010-10-23, 02:30 AM
4e Dark Sun lethality entirely depends on how the DM builds encounters. Well, mostly...player stupidity will always figure in somewhere. :smallwink: Anyway, Dark Sun creatures/hazards are compatible with those from standard 4e, it's up the DM to set the difficulty by using more/higher-level versions of such.

I'm currently running a 4e Dark Sun campaign, and things are going well for our group. I'm having some difficulty in building encounters, but that's mostly because my group is somewhat haphazard and I never know how many players I'll have at the table a given week - fluctuates between 5 and 9 for a given session. :smallsigh:

Mechanically, I appreciate that the thri-kreen (my personal favorite D&D race, in theory) is actually playable at 1st level in 4e without garbage racial hit dice and level adjustments. I miss some of the 2e racial traits for 'kreen, but I can accept the loss in favor of fair play. Wish they hadn't mucked up the artwork, though. :smallfrown:

WotC needs to get off their lazy tookuses and update the Character Builder with the Dark Sun stuff, though! Or, at least, the thri-kreen and mul races. :smallmad:

BobVosh
2010-10-23, 05:03 PM
What is the Mul's racial ability for 4ed? I have always liked the Mul race, although like you TK is my favorite D&D race.

JRKlein
2010-10-23, 05:10 PM
Dark Sun Encounters was pretty vicious, at least for the first chapter or so. I thought it was the Tomb of Horrors campaign setting for a minute there. But it got easier later on, so yeah. Just depends on the DM. (And the competence of the players, of course)

Mando Knight
2010-10-23, 05:25 PM
What is the Mul's racial ability for 4ed? I have always liked the Mul race, although like you TK is my favorite D&D race.

They are tougher than normal (+1 Healing Surge, +2 Constitution) and can shrug off effects that would stop most others (once per encounter, they can (as a no-action) stop a daze, weaken, stun, or slow effect on them), they only need to sleep once every three days, and can pretend they're either dwarves or humans for feat prerequisites.