PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Advancing Creatures with Fractional HD

EnnPeeCee
2010-10-23, 02:18 AM
I've been wondering how to give fractional creatures additional HD. For example, if you were to awaken a toad, would it have 2 1/4 HD? Or would it just have 2? Or even 3?

In fact, I can't seem to find any info on how to handle fractional HD at all. Is it included in ECL? Does it count as a HD for BAB and saves?

I'm guessing its in the books somewhere, but I can't find anything.

Kylarra
2010-10-23, 02:36 AM
I would assume the fractional is subsumed just like the 1 or less HD is subsumed in gaining a class level.

Coidzor
2010-10-23, 03:23 AM
Either that or each gained HD advances it up the steps in the fraction like 1/4->1/2->1->2->...

ffone
2010-10-23, 03:31 AM
IIRC as soon as it gets any full HD, you just ignore the fractions. (In other words, you always "round down", except fractions less than 1 don't round to 0.)

EnnPeeCee
2010-10-23, 03:41 PM
IIRC as soon as it gets any full HD, you just ignore the fractions. (In other words, you always "round down", except fractions less than 1 don't round to 0.)

I would assume the fractional is subsumed just like the 1 or less HD is subsumed in gaining a class level.
I figured this is how they are handled, its just weird that there doesn't seem to be any rulings on them in the books.

Either that or each gained HD advances it up the steps in the fraction like 1/4->1/2->1->2->...
That would be cool. It would make playing an awakened animal a little better, without having to worry about the extra HD.

GreatWyrmGold
2010-10-23, 04:27 PM
That would be cool. It would make playing an awakened animal a little better, without having to worry about the extra HD.

...Why would you want to? No hands, usually itty-bitty and natural-attackless for the ones you're looking at...

EnnPeeCee
2010-10-23, 04:31 PM
...Why would you want to? No hands, usually itty-bitty and natural-attackless for the ones you're looking at...
Doesn't mean no one wants to. Of course its not going to be optimal. I think a Awakened Toad Cloistered Cleric would be great fun to play for example.

Kylarra
2010-10-23, 04:32 PM
It's doable as long as you don't play a class that relies on wielding weapons.

teslas
2010-10-23, 06:11 PM
The way I've handled it is this:

If a creature has 1/4 HD, and gains another HD, it now has 2/4 HD or one half. If a 1/4 HD creature gains three HD, it is now a full 1-HD creature. If it gains 7 HD from base-HD, it is now only a 2-HD creature.

Such is the weakness of fractional hit die creatures. A 100-year old toad that has killed gnats and younger toads its entire life is still just a damn toad.

I came upon this "opinion" (it's just that, I have no idea how it is RAW) to avoid the concept of a pixie paladin/cavalier riding a house-cat dealing ridiculous damage AND having its mount be all juiced-up.

You'd be surprised how hilarious that concept is. Sure, you've got to charge INTO their square, but with some dodge/mobility and chain or plate-barding on your cat, maybe a collar of dexterity, it's a very viable option. You also get your ride check to try to negate the hit.

edit:
make sure that plate-barding or chain-barding is made of mithril with the nimble enchantment

EnnPeeCee
2010-10-24, 03:59 PM
Ok, so I take it there isn't any actual RAW on this. Kinda odd, but that's fine.