PDA

View Full Version : GitP, pimp my bard

Kaeso
2010-10-23, 10:41 AM
I'm currently playing a bard in a PbP game, but I don't really know how I should build it. I've read the bard's handbook, but I'm still a bit in doubt.

My second level bard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=244837) is in a party with a Druid, Paladin, two Wizard's and a Fighter, all of the same level. I'm planning to give my bard one extra point of dex at level 4, so I can max out his AC. I'm also planning to give him the weapon finesse feat at level 3, but I don't really know what I should do afterwards. The standard party roles are all filled except for skillmonkey, so my bard is probably fit for the job. Does this mean I should max out his int? What spells should I pick in a party where my bard is a skill monkey, and what skills? How can I still make him useful in combat?

EDIT: The game currently only uses the core rules, but the DM has indicated that in time other sources should be available. I can't tell for sure but I have a feeling this will include most 'complete' books.

EDIT2: I don't know if this is of any importance, but his personality is that of a flamboyant, slightly arrogant but good hearted nobleman. Maybe that could influence his build (because I'm trying to reflect his personality through most/all of his actions).

The Gilded Duke
2010-10-23, 11:15 AM
Oldest Profession roll time...

How much can you switch up at this point?
I usually prefer strength based bards, its easier to pump damage with that.
If your strength is that low, you might just want to go with ranged attacks maybe for now going with a shortbow, before going to ranged touch attack wands and spells at higher levels.

Could also pick up Dragonfire Inspiration to boost damage (Dragon Magic I think?)

I do like your spell selection though.
Silent Image is one of the most powerful battlefield control spells in the game.
A few things to keep in mind with illusions:

To get a saving throw vs an illusion you have to interact with it.
Interaction takes a standard or move action. (Spot check, attacking it, running through it etc)
Mindless creatures can not make a will save to disbelieve.

As far as feats
Quick Draw isn't as important now, with +1 bab you can draw as part of a move action. Still situationally useful, but not something incredibly necessary.

Skill Focus Perform just buffs the skill check. Only really useful with suggestion fascinate, doesn't help any with your buffing abilities.

If you are cool with a slight change to race:
Silverbrow Human, Races of Dragon. Basically a human with a silver dragon ancestor way way back. Lose the extra skill ranks, count as a dragonblooded creature and some minor bonuses.

Then pick up Dragonfire Inspiration, Races of Dragon. Lets you trade in inspire courage bonuses for +d6s of damage.

Then at third level pick up Song of the Heart (Eberron Campaign Setting) among other things it bumps your inspire courage by 1.

Makes your inspire courage either give your entire group +2 to attack or +2d6 fire damage on every attack.

Also, you should check out some of the bard handbooks if you haven't already
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870498/The_Bards_Handbook

Endarire
2010-10-23, 05:42 PM
Breaking Down Inspire Courage Optimization (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8334.0)

Mando Knight
2010-10-23, 06:30 PM
Put five ranks each in Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) and Sense Motive. No more, no less. (Well, you can put in more if you really feel like it...)

:smalltongue:

El Dorado
2010-10-23, 10:08 PM
Heh, for a sec I thought the thread title read Gimp my bard. I thought, how refreshing, someone wants help to tone down their bard. What?! But I digress. . .

Skill monkey would be good in your group. Also agree with buffing inspire courage. Your fighter will appreciate it, as will your druid and wizards (if they summon creatures).

Tvtyrant
2010-10-23, 11:38 PM
...? Why so much Con?

I'm not sure what your goal was in making this character, but it is not a melee bard. I think the best plan would be to max UMD and make a ray gun bard, with a bow/throwing weapons for the time being. If you can get a lightning lance from Lords of Madness you get 5 3d6 rays a day. It takes a high UMD, but if you get several you can fire rays all day long.

For magic, concentrate on boosting other people. You have a high charisma, so concentrate on spell casting and music.

Kaeso
2010-10-24, 06:16 AM
...? Why so much Con?

Isn't con the most important stat for pretty much every character? I had his main stats (cha and dex) covered, so I decided it'd be good to put the remaining one in con (his hp is now on par with that of the paladin). I thought there was an unwritten rule about never letting your con get lower than 12 :smallconfused:

Shadowleaf
2010-10-24, 06:19 AM
Isn't con the most important stat for pretty much every character? I had his main stats (cha and dex) covered, so I decided it'd be good to put the remaining one in con (his hp is now on par with that of the paladin). I thought there was an unwritten rule about never letting your con get lower than 12 :smallconfused:
Depends on the campaign. The nicer your DM is, the lower your Con needs to be. Alternatively, you can swap Int and Con, if you have a forgiving DM.

I would not, though.

Kaeso
2010-10-24, 06:24 AM
Depends on the campaign. The nicer your DM is, the lower your Con needs to be. Alternatively, you can swap Int and Con, if you have a forgiving DM.

I would not, though.

I see, so you're suggesting I raise my int to 12 before I raise my dex to 18?:smallconfused:

Shadowleaf
2010-10-24, 06:26 AM
I see, so you're suggesting I raise my int to 12 before I raise my dex to 18?:smallconfused:
No, I am saying your stat priority could be Cha > Dex > Int > Con instead of Cha > Dex > Con > Int, if you have a forgiving DM who will not punish you for having low HP.

However, I would personally not do this.

MarkusWolfe
2010-10-24, 07:02 AM
The mechanics for picking up ladies are as follows:

Maximum time you can roll to pick up a lady: 2, or 2Xnatural CHA modifier, whichever is higher.

Maximum number of ladies you can get at once: 1, or natural CHA modifier, whichever is higher.

Bonus on the roll to pick up a lady: The sum of all your natural stat modifiers plus half your level, with STR and CON given a weight of 1.5 and CHA given a weight of 2.

Situational modifiers:
In Tavern, or some other place men go to meet women and vice versa: +2
She's hammered: +4
You're hammered: -4
She is familiar with your deeds of heroism: Varies by deeds of heroism
You are of higher status than her: +2 for every rank in between you and her
You are of lower status than her: -2 for every rank in between you and her
Obvious displays of wealth: Varies by display of wealth
Charming tongue: +1 per every 5 ranks invested in Diplomacy or Bluff
At a formal ball or the King's/Lord's banquet: +3 if you can make a DC 20 Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) check
You just saved their life/life of someone important to them: +10

DCs of unmarried women:
Commoner woman : 15
Serving Wench: 20
Female Soldier: 22
Mayor's Daughter: 24
Lords Daughter: 28
Dukes Daughter: 32
Barons Daughter: 36
Princess: 40
Unmarried Queen: 45
Catherine the Great: 10