PDA

View Full Version : Love/Emotion/Other Elixirs (PEACH)(Group Effort)

Qwertystop
2010-10-23, 12:02 PM
I am trying to make the idea of a love potion in D&D, but I can't make it a potion because there is no love spell in D&D (At least in core books). Therefore, I am making it an elixir, because that is a more adaptable idea. These are just the basic ideas, I need help statting it out. (That's why I said "Group Effort")

#1 (Drink it, fall in love with next opposite-gender you see)

Whoever drinks this will fall in love with the next living thing of the opposite gender in a reasonably similar species they see (Any humanoid for an elf, any Large mammal for a horse, etc.) in the next 2 days. They will immediately be compelled (Will save? Succeeding lets them stay away for an hour, but does not break the elixir?) to stay as near the one they now love as possible, and cannot (Much larger will save? Same result of success as for the distance one) do anything that will hurt that loved one. They will not believe the love is a result of anything other than nature, and will not believe any statement that shows their beloved in a bad light (Another will save? Same deal for success). 3 days after the elixir has caused them to fall in love, they will no longer be prevented from realizing that the love is caused by an elixir, and get an immediate will save (DC?) to break free when convinced of this. If they do not, they get a small bonus on all will saves caused by the poison (For not staying near, trying to hurt them, believing something bad about them). 4 days after that, the elixir fully wears off, and the love and compulsions go away.

If they do not see anyone of similar species and opposite gender within 2 days of ingesting the elixir, its range expands to make them fall in love with anything of opposite gender. If they still do not see anyone of opposite gender in 1 more hour, the elixir fades.

__________________________________________________ _______
Just to make it clear, "Love" for these purposes is not "lots of sex", but if the target generally would do that, then it does not stop them.

#2 (All nearby of similar species, opposite gender fall in love with target)

When somebody ingests this elixirr, everyone nearby (Opposite gender, similar species) immediately sees them as incredibly desirable, and will do anything to get near them (Will save). This does not have the no-believing-bad-about-the-person effect that #1 does, but the people nearby will do anything up to and including bull rushes and stabbing each other to get as close as possible. They will hurt the drinker of the elixir if they are doing so with something they cannot deactivate, such as flames burning whoever they touch, or if they had something like that active, as they will rush to the drinker and not be careful about turning stuff like that off. (:smalleek:) Those who are affected by this get-near-him/her affect will do whatever the drinker of the elixir wants (moderate will save, should be mostly doable for any PC with Will save +4 or more), as long as they do not go anywhere that stops them from seeing the drinker for more than 10 minutes (If they do, they will immediately stop everything they are doing and go back as fast as they can). This effect lasts for 1 hour.

#3 (hallucinating about the gender of others)
This elixir causes the drinker to believe that everyone they see is the opposite gender to what they really are(so if someone drank this and saw an incredibly handsome man, they would see that person as an incredibly beautiful woman). The people they see appear similar to what they really look like, but the drinker will not realize that it is the same person unless they either knew about the affect ahead of time or are convinced of this by someone. This lasts for 1 day.

__________________________________________________ _________

Yes, drinking #1 while under the effect of #3 would make a person fall in love with the next person of the same gender, similar species they see. If #3 wears off first, they would begin wildly looking for their love, who has, to them, just been replaced by someone else, unless their love convinces them about the affect of #3.
__________________________________________________ ________

EDIT:
#4 (Narcissism)
Must be ingested
When one drinks this, they must make a will save opposed by 1d20+(Their base will save + (Highest Stat Modifier * 2)) (They are stuck up about what they are good at) any time in the next day that they try to do something that would benefit someone else more than it would benefit them, or they will not be able to get themselves to do it.

__________________________________________________ _________
#5 (Generally friendly)
When one drinks this, they must make a will save opposed by 1d20+(Their own base will save + (Highest Stat Modifier of the one they are trying not to help*2)) any time in the next day that they try to do anything (With the exception of vital life functions such as eating and sleeping) that will benefit them more than someone else, something that would harm someone else, or refuse to help someone. If they fail the save, they must complete that helpful action to the best of their ability, or in the case of trying to hurt another, they do not even try to attack. When the effect ends, they know what the people they tried not to help are best at (they know the highest stat of anyone who they made the save against)
__________________________________________________ __________
If they drink both #4 and #5, the more recent one takes effect, but the drinker gets +1 to the save.

Pyromancer999
2010-10-23, 12:22 PM
I believe there is a love potion in the Dungeon Master's Guide.

AugustNights
2010-10-23, 02:30 PM
And the SRD. Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#elixirofLove)

EditIt's a good refernce for balance, and creation of your 'poisons.'
I'd recommend they be elixers, and have will saves.
Circumvents nasty poison immunities, and they won't work on things like fey. (Or as easily on fey with their resistances to enchantment.) Which seems to fit the flavor of your idea.

Qwertystop
2010-10-24, 08:28 AM
And the SRD. Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#elixirofLove)

EditIt's a good refernce for balance, and creation of your 'poisons.'
I'd recommend they be elixers, and have will saves.
Circumvents nasty poison immunities, and they won't work on things like fey. (Or as easily on fey with their resistances to enchantment.) Which seems to fit the flavor of your idea.

Firstly: That elixir is just a Potion of Charm Person, isn't it? I don't see what the difference is, except maybe determining who the drinker is charmed by as the next one seen instead of the one who made the elixir. Also, "Charmed" is very different from the effects I am trying to create.

Second: what's the difference between an elixir and a potion, or an elixir and a poison that must be ingested?

Third: Which bit of your suggestion "seems to fit the flavor of my idea"? The bit about fey or the bit a bout poison immunities? Also, do you mean that fey would resist the poison, or an elixir version?

Fourth: I am now going to add Poison #4 (Causes instant narcissism) and #5 (Causes change in general "Friendliness", so the drinker becomes extremely friendly and helpful in general)

Cipher Stars
2010-10-24, 08:40 AM
http://www.lklee.com/glassspider/img/fullsize/LovePotionNo9.jpg

Win. Love potions that is.
They could be small tablets perhaps? Dissolve in a drink, crush over food or just swallow like a pill. Tablets could be quite more versatile.

Benly
2010-10-24, 08:53 AM
Second: what's the difference between an elixir and a potion, or an elixir and a poison that must be ingested?

The fundamental difference between an elixir and a potion is that a potion only stores an existing spell effect while an elixir has an effect of its own which does not duplicate a spell exactly. The difference between an elixir and an ingested poison is that poisons use their own rules involving primary/secondary damage and sequenced saves and are affected by effects that specifically refer to poison. Since your items are ingested magic items that don't use the poison rules and don't duplicate specific spells, I would say they're elixirs.

I agree that the SRD's Elixir of Love is pretty underwhelming (1d3 hours? seriously?) so it's nice to see a better attempt at some love elixirs. I would suggest, following literary tradition, that "targeted" variations of #1 and #2 be available: the variation of #1 causes the drinker to fall in love with a specified target and the variation of #2 causes a specified target to fall in love with the drinker the next time he or she sees the drinker. Either would be more expensive and require a bit of the specified target's body (hair, nails, blood, whatever) as a special ingredient, allowing for the classic mixup where the wrong person's hair is gotten off a comb and hilarity ensues.

Also, the potion variant that causes the drinker to become more affectionate to everybody should be #9, not #5. :smallbiggrin:

Qwertystop
2010-10-24, 11:02 AM
The fundamental difference between an elixir and a potion is that a potion only stores an existing spell effect while an elixir has an effect of its own which does not duplicate a spell exactly. The difference between an elixir and an ingested poison is that poisons use their own rules involving primary/secondary damage and sequenced saves and are affected by effects that specifically refer to poison. Since your items are ingested magic items that don't use the poison rules and don't duplicate specific spells, I would say they're elixirs.

Also, the potion variant that causes the drinker to become more affectionate to everybody should be #9, not #5. :smallbiggrin:

Ok, changed title to Love/Emotion/Other Elixirs. Why the #9? I don't get it :smallconfused:. I still need help with the statting of saves, price to make, naming, etc.

Cipher Stars
2010-10-24, 11:27 AM
Ok, changed title to Love/Emotion/Other Elixirs. Why the #9? I don't get it :smallconfused:. I still need help with the statting of saves, price to make, naming, etc.

Saves could be based on the maker of the Elixir. a more skilled Alchemist/Wiz what ever would produce higher quality Elixirs.

Prices could range in comparison to saves and effect.

Names could simply be "Elixir of ______" or "Jane's Love" in reference the the creators name, and his/her elixir made.

Benly
2010-10-24, 01:18 PM

It's a reference to a classic pop song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Potion_No._9_%28song%29). The drinker of the titular Love Potion #9 "started kissing everything in sight".

Qwertystop
2010-10-24, 08:00 PM
It's a reference to a classic pop song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Potion_No._9_%28song%29). The drinker of the titular Love Potion #9 "started kissing everything in sight".

I get the joke now. #5, though, is not affection, it's extreme helpfulness.